GEICO

GEICO Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely

Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • The benefits are very good with the best thing being the profit sharing (in 180 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider" (in 23 reviews)

• Had a long commute to the city where the call center was located (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

"Great JOB"

ProsGood company culture, great opportunties for advancement!

ConsSALARY COULD BE MORE, BUT O WELL.

Great Place to start your career

ERS Dispatcher (Current Employee) Macon, GA (US)

Prosgeico has tons of opportunities of advancement and people in supervisory roles eager to help you succeed

Consequipment is outdated, Higher call volume than I would like

Great People, Deceptive Salaries

Summer Intern (Current Employee) Fredericksburg, VA (US)

ProsProfit Sharing - averaging a 21.5% bonus per year is no joke. Makes up for lower base salary.
    People are friendly and always willing to help.
    Promote from within and based on merit, not tenure.

ConsCan bring poor work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementMarket profit sharing more. This will bring in better candidates who are turned away by the apparent low compensation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Macon, GA (US)

ProsGEICO really knows what to do if they want you to work for them. They pay most people more than they could find elsewhere with their skillset, they're really good at aligning people to a job they will excel at and they also have pretty good options for upward mobility.

ConsMy experience has been that if the company wants you in a particular position, they're likely to keep you there. Many people feel as if they'll never amount to anything and it's commonly spoken how much hatred their is to being attached to a phone all day (for phone positions, obviously).

Good Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Co-workers, company with a heart, when one associate lost her parents and had to take care of her younger siblings, Geico had a raffle and raised money to help her pay for the funeral cost.
    Good benefits and good profit sharing.

ConsVery strict with dress code

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing and keep listen to the focus groups.

Great company!

Employment Branding (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent place to start your career!

ConsThere aren't any cons that come to mind.

Good people, changes still needed

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Macon, GA (US)

ProsGreat co-workers, fun atmosphere, many opportunities to advance. Pay can be good based on the geographic location you work in. Always offering contests and incentives....in the sales department.

ConsSometimes advancement is based on who you know. When you reach management level you realize playing field is not even, can be very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on employee engagement

Great opportunity for advancement as long as you are willing to put in the work for it.

Service (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ (US)

Pros- Great starting out pay for entry level positions.
    - Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life). Medical is currently offered through United and dental through Delta.
    - Yearly profit sharing (you must work for the company for a full year to qualify so it could be a year and some months before you see a check unless you start at the beginning of January).
    - College tuition reimbursement or you can take the 8 business classes required to be promoted into management on site that they will cover (and adjust your schedule for you to attend, if necessary) with no out of pocket expense.
    - Tucson currently has great opportunity for forward movement. In less than a year and a half, I have been promoted twice.
    - Upper level management has a open door policy and they mean it. You will get to know the managers as a entry level position employee. They make a point of making you feel you can come to them with any concern. The current Service Manager makes a point of walking through the buildings to say good night to everyone before he leaves. You can also look forward to visits from Tony Nicely and Warren Buffet. This is the best management atmosphere I have experienced from any job.
    - Ability to transfer to several different locations across the country via job posts.
    - GEICO is constantly offering incentives to their employees. Anything from gift cards, pot lucks, to bbq's. On site vendors are available certain days of the week for lunch to make it easy for the employees.
    - Constant feedback. Some people will see this as a negative, but I prefer feedback. There is no other way to judge your performance and make improvements if you do not receive feedback. Yes, it can be overwhelming to some, but I have found that it has helped me tailor my performance to receive the numbers I want.

Cons- Parking... with all of the new associates being hired, the parking situation has become a bit of a nightmare. GEICO is constantly seeking new areas for us to park and attempting to remedy the situation, but if your schedule is a afternoon or you leave site for lunch... it can be a nightmare to find a parking spot.
    - It can be hard sometimes not to take te customers mentally home with you. As with any call center you will have those customers that just ruin your day and cause your attitude to continue to be runined once you leave work. You have to be thick skinned and know how to let go of those customers. Not everyone will be a peach to deal with.
    - When changes to policy are implemented, it is done quickly. There is not much of 'learning curb' to give employees time to acclimate to the changes. You have to be adaptable and open to change.
    - A high level of quality is a must. Your calls (in every position where you touch a phone) will be monitored. In Service you will have an average of 17 calls monitored, of which you can only miss 3 for quality or you are going to have a very bad month. Not all calls are cookie cutter calls and you will not always know the correct answer. You do have a supervisors but a lot of the supervisors will have other projects they will be working on or they will be in meetings and may not necessarily be there if you have a question. It can be extremely stressful when it comes to the monitoring of your calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a great job of having an open door environment, definitely keep that up. Do give a little more of a learning curb time when new procedures are implemented for the employees to adapt before calls are scored down. Do ask the floor what they think about changes before implementing them to get a feel of how it will be accepted by the person doing the job.

GEICO was a great experience

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Poway, CA (US)

ProsThey are very supportive of the home work balance. They truely care about about their employees. GEICO understands that if employees are happy then the company has much better likely hood of success.. compensation isn't bad but could be better.

ConsThe hours are harsh for sales and customer service.. Training is long and arduous at times.( necessary).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work for the most part .. Compensation should be a bit better considering what you are asking people to do.

Overall good

GEICO Sales Representative (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsBenefits, good opps to move upwards

Consvery micromanaged, you are attached to your phone all day

Advice to Senior ManagementLet up some- bring some employee-focus back in

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!