GEICO

GEICO Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely

Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros:
  • "Profit Sharing; Employee Benefit Plan; Employee Tuition Reimbursement; Varied shifts;"
    in 146 reviews
  • "Great benefits, generous profit sharing, a lot of advancement opportunities"
    in 67 reviews
Cons:
  • "If "Be the low-cost provider" is improperly administered it could become "penny wise and pound foolish""
    in 21 reviews
  • "Had a long commute to the city where the call center was located"
    in 41 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Claims

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at GEICO

ProsGreat company, good pay and benefits and friendly feel. Profit sharing!

ConsManagement can be very demanding

Geico is an amazing organization to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at GEICO

ProsGreat for recent graduates and young professionals. This company requires you to complete a comprehensive training program.

ConsTakes a while to receive pay increases. The only con is that the work load is always extremely high because recent graduates think they are above working for Geico, therefore they don't apply for some reason.

Great opportunity for those lacking experience

I have been working at GEICO full-time

ProsBenefits are great and the opportunities are better than most companies around

Consthere can be a lot of competition when looking to move up and there is little room for personal emergencies (kids sick etc)

Great Company To Work for

Customer Service Representative III (Current Employee)
Macon, GA (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 5 years

ProsManagement is great, support and work place is great, pay is very competitive as well

Consvery hard to advance upwards.

Advice to Senior Managementthe company goals can cause lots of stress for employees. I know the goal of the company is to grow and become better, but there has to be a better way to improve the company with out stressing the employees out too much.

GREAT

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Woodbury, NY (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than a year

ProsGREAT environment and chances to grow

Consmicro-managed in everything, listen to all phone calls which to my eyes defeats the purpose of a college education.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in the associates

Fast growing company. A lot of growth opportunities

Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Chevy Chase, MD (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPromotional opportunities, benefits and educational assistance.

ConsI don't feel like the salary is as competitive as other companies.

Overall, very good.

Billing Support Agent (Current Employee)
Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at GEICO part-time

ProsThey are very flexible with your hours when you work part time, which is a plus when you are in college. The pay is very good! Profit sharing is amazing. The people you work with are awesome, you become real good friends with them.

ConsVery repetitive. At first it can be stressful. If you choose to work long hours, it takes an eternity for your shift to end.

Love Geico so far, wish I had done it years ago

Sr. Outside Investigator (Current Employee)
Fredericksburg, VA (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time for less than a year

ProsPay, benefits, perks, yearly bonus. My supervisor is great and extremely supportive. The team atmosphere is great also. I love merit based raises, you get what you put into it

ConsNone so far. I'm sure at some point there will be less than rosy days, but as of now that's not the case.

Advice to Senior ManagementComputer systems could use some tweeking

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Best Company to work for

Service Counselor (Former Employee)
Getzville, NY (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work atmosphere. Huge growth opportunities

ConsNo cons at all. I loved working for Geico but had left due to moving.

Great pay, great benefits, poor upward mobility and zero job security.

I have been working at GEICO

ProsBenefits are second to none: Paid vacation, 401k (5 years to become fully vested), sick leave, maternity/paternity leave, FML, etc.

ConsThere are three main ways you can start out: Sales, Service, and Claims; all of which are on the phones 8 to 12 hours at a time. For the first 6 months, you should expect to work a 10 hour shift, most likely until 10pm-midnight. After a year (rarely less), you are given the opportunity to post for another position. The problem is that roughly 80% of the positions at the company are entry level so these posts are often very competitive and difficult to achieve. If you decide to stay on the phones you can expect to see 40-60% turnover around you. To counteract working in a graveyard there are constant gifts of fat and sugar filled food to calm the nerves that go with being tethered to a phone attempting to achieve roughly a dozen phone metrics. Expect to gain some weight.

Your calls are subject to constant monitoring by no less than three people: your supervisor, manager and a performance monitor. Your calls are also recorded and can land you in hot water if your "customer interaction" is below company standard. If your numbers fall below standard for two months you can expect a written warning and if they fall for a third you can expect a Performance Improvement Plan, both of which will be in your company file forever. At this point you will be subject to termination at any time your numbers slip.

Some can handle it and handle it well, others cannot take it very long and usually last a year or less. Out of the 13 people that were in my sales training class held 18 months ago, there are 5 left.

All in all, I would say it's worth a shot but I would not leave an established career with the intent of making a new career with GEICO.

Advice to Senior ManagementGEICO is a very successful company and they are doing exactly what they need to in order to turn a profit.

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!

GEICO Videos

GEICO – Why Work for Us?

Government Employees Insurance Company. Puzzled, are you? Well, the name goes back to the beginnings of the company. Founder Leo Goodwin first targeted a customer base of U.S. government employees and military… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GEICO reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for GEICO CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely. All 679 reviews are posted anonymously by GEICO employees.