GTM Sportswear

Updated 2 March 2015
2.5

David Dreiling

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at GTM Sportswear full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and pay!
    Excellent opportunities for growth! Many of my co-workers have been promoted from entry level jobs which is encouraging to see.
    Team members are willing to go the extra mile to help one another which makes coming to work enjoyable!
    Most of the managers and supervisors that I work with are friendly, you can tell they Care!

Cons

Because of the seasonality of our work, many of the operational positions are temporary. Although most of the seasonal workers are retained at the end of the season, its sad to see some go.

Great People To Work With

I have been working at GTM Sportswear

Pros

I love the people I get to work with! My 'coworkers' are my friends! They will tell me what I'm doing right or what I need to work on. I learn something new every day which will help me once I graduate from college. The supervisors are very flexible with my school schedule and activities

Cons

Sometimes I cannot find a parking spot during busy season which is frustrating.

I absolutely love the fun events. Keep them coming please!

Embroidery Machine Operator

Former Employee - Embroidery Machine Operator in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Embroidery Machine Operator in Manhattan, KS (US)

I worked at GTM Sportswear

Pros

Night differential in pay, and benefits package for full time employees.

Cons

Leadership was hardly present or punctual.

GTM sports wear

I have been working at GTM Sportswear

Pros

Patient with new hires and take people with very little experience

Cons

Salaries are less then average and employees can be disrespectful to management.

The epitome of "dead end job"

Current Employee - Production Operator in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Production Operator in Manhattan, KS (US)

I have been working at GTM Sportswear

Pros

There is no good reason to work here. Wait... that's a lie... every way you turn is a twenty-something year old girl in yoga pants. That's a plus I suppose.

Cons

Poor management, unrealistic company goals, inconsistent disciplinary action. Mediocre pay. 0 growth and advancement opportunity. New computer systems function like some high schoolers senior tech project. Production environment is dirty, poorly organized, and filled with safety hazards. Management is secretive and condescending 90% of the time. The sick leave/absence policy favors irresponsible drunks that miss work due to hang overs and doesn't do a thing to help employees with medical situations. And on that note, how bout a company wide AA meeting? Seriously gtm, poll your employees, I'm pretty sure the gtm labor budget keeps some aggieville bars in business. For a company that drug tests upon hiring you can find any drug you want, just ask your co workers. The company plays favorites, animosity between shifts is rIdiculous.

Burn it down take the insurance money while you still can.

A fine place to work if you enjoy hating life and wanting to end it.

Current Employee - Marketing in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Manhattan, KS (US)

I have been working at GTM Sportswear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no good reasons to work here. There are no reasons to work here. Go somewhere else. Anywhere. Seriously.

Cons

1. It's a sinking ship.
    2. People get promoted for looking busy. That's a problem if you're actually busy, because then you appear to not have it together.
    3. People get promoted for being related to the owner.
    4. people with actual experience are ignored while kids right out of college are allowed to call the shots.
    5. The owner is a narcissistic sociopath. Really. He says stuff like "I don't need any more money" in front of the whole company when trying to raise morale and then rides off on his scooter.
    6. The culture can suck the life out of a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader.
    7. They make everyone memorize a long list of GTM values that management doesn't follow.
    8. Raises are partly based on how well you follow the values.
    9. Business is so bad there haven't been any real raises for 3 years.
    10. Management still gets raises.
    11. Another reviewer said there is no way you can score higher than a 3 out of 5 on any part of your review. It's true. If your job is to pick your nose once a day and you can prove you've done it because you have a wall full of signed and dated boogers behind you, that's a 3 because you didn't give nose picking feedback to the guy next to you. Values!
    12. They say they want feedback but they really just want to get rid of anyone who questions anything.
    13. At the same time you have to sit there and take feedback that you aren't open to feedback.
    14. The people in charge are the same people who almost destroyed Payless back in the 90s.
    15. Temperature control is horrible. Either an oven or a meat locker.
    16. If you have a job that requires travel, don't expect to eat on the road. They reimburse less than the federal rate and have been known to dock pay for going 9 cents over, even though other days were under.
    17. Crappy vacation/sick/holiday policy.
    18. Sales has the final word on everything. Don't pick your nose without asking them first, even if picking your nose is your job.
    19. True story: HR once sent an everyone email that explained where to go in case of a tornado and said Hurry, space is limited! First come first serve. I sheet you not.
    20. The company owns a private plane and a skybox at the stadium but can't afford to give you a raise because you only scored a 3 on your booger mural.
    21. If you're not convinced by now you should get a job picking your nose.

Fire yourselves

Pain, demoralization, clueless …and those are the good parts!!

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Manhattan, KS (US)

I worked at GTM Sportswear full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bring the company out the Stone Age.
    Introduce cutting edge technology and methodology. Provide the basis upon everything is based.

Cons

Get fired for doing something for yourself.

I have no control over to my parents were. I was under the impression that it was a new century and thing have progressed. Apparently racism still exists.

Awful experience, serious management issues

I worked at GTM Sportswear

Pros

Looks good on resume, the CEO is awesome but doesn't have a clue about what's going with his company

Cons

Middle management power trips, insistent human resource teams, poor communication from the beginning including salary agreement

Get it together, put an end to the class division among departments because working together is a much better option. It's no wonder layoffs are happening...

Nothing good.

I have been working at GTM Sportswear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefit package is okay compared to what is offered in the area.

Cons

Everything from Management on down to co-workers. It is a very hostile work environment.

Quit being "buddies". Pay attention to those employees that come in and do their work. There are employees stealing from the company and being covered up by members of management because of "friendships". This is not good for the company or for morale of the employees who witness this kind of favoritism.