Garda World Security

2.0

Garda World Security Chairman, President, CEO Stéphan D. Crétier
Stéphan D. Crétier

Screening Officer

Current Employee - Pre-Board Screening Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Pre-Board Screening Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Pays Well -Ability to make own schedule

Cons

-Poor management -No chance of growth

-Better management training for the company

2 years security officer

Current Employee - Securiy Guard in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Securiy Guard in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get paid on time, Good uniform

Cons

Firing guards with not acceptable reason

Increasing of wage depends on the job requirments.
    Expectation is higher than standard in most of the sites.

Absolute. Garbage.

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no pros. This company is a nightmare to work for. The pay, considering the industry is okay, I guess.

Cons

Even if you set your own schedule, even if you process your own payroll, they somehow manage to mess it up. I'm nearly $2000 behind on my paychecks over FOUR pay periods. Every time I e-mail them, I get the response "We'll look into it ASAP", and despite constant follow-ups, I get no response.

They don't care about their employees, and they would rather lose a contract than pay for something out of their own pockets (even something as miniscule as $40).

Start to listen to your employees, and start to promote the good ones. You have a lot of idiots who somehow move up the food chain, but your hard workers don't.

As a mid level manager I found upper management were clueless as to what happens in the checkpoint and the VP's think they know what to do before setting foot on site.

I worked at Garda World Security

Pros

Honestly tough to find one. I left of my own accord although I had peers that were forced out. The best thing I could say is that some of the people I worked with were good at their jobs.

Cons

Upper management think they know best without setting foot in the checkpoint and don't listen to improvement suggestions from those that work there everyday.
    The union only protects employees that should be fired and adds no value to the good employees. They traded away most of their good benefits for things like an extra sick day that they aren't even paid for. So terrible leadership there too.
    Poor management + bad union leaders = awful place to work

I understand the restrictions with CATSA regulations and maybe it would be worthwhile explaining them to the screening officers to give them a greater understanding of the challenges faced by management. Could create more of a cohesive group effort instead of an us vs. them mentality that exists now.

Not a good employer, if you're looking for substance...

Former Employee - Security Agent in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Security Agent in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's work and it can pay you.

Cons

Awful management
    More drama than a high school
    Lack of benefits
    No sick pay
    No vacation days
    Management promoted on a brown-nosing basis
    Management does not take responsibility for actions
    Lack of crisis management
    No training for new employees- employees are assigned to sites way beyond their scope and skills and not offered any additional training in advance as basic security training does not cover most aspects of actual, hands-on securit work
    14 hour+ days with awful overtime

More transparency, treat your employees with respect, and pay them what they deserve. They deal with a lot of situations and don't get paid nearly enough.

The company motto says "integrity", but I see little of it.

Current Employee - Marine Facility Security Officer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marine Facility Security Officer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of work, high turnover in managers, who come and go and only try to make themselves look good.

Cons

average pay, many payroll errors caused by site supervisors not submitting hours correctly. The managers commit errors that put contracts at risk.

Evaluate your staff, promote based on competency and experience. Identify the poor performers and remove them from sensitive contracts.

If I was the President, I would be embarrassed - YYZ

Former Employee - YYZ - Aviation in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - YYZ - Aviation in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

coworkers - lower management - sympathize with each other when they are being crucified by upper management

Cons

no growth unless you speak French
    Upper management uses staff and throws them under the bus when it's their fault
    Upper management is clueless, naïve, and are majority retired Air Canada employees
    Your manager will mostly likely not know how to be effective manager
    Everyday there is a fear that you will be fired, walking on egg shells no matter if you do your job right
    You have to be "yes" person to survive in the culture, if you do what's right or speak up - you will be fired.

Learn leadership, management, and integrity maybe you won't have so much turnover. Stop promoting GardaWorld as a great place to work you are just lying and wasting candidate's time. Upper management don't be threatened by your staff if they do your job plus your job better than you!

Mr. Crétier if you are ruthless as a leader than kudos to you - your style definitely trickled down throughout your divisions.

They explain away their incompetence and tactics as being due to their "Corporate Culture" !!!!!

Current Employee - Driver/Messenger in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Driver/Messenger in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ego massage for some employees yet the majority of coworkers are some of the most upstanding folks I have ever met. I felt that my back was covered.

Cons

The majority of the truck flleet are death traps and a risk to operate by the employees and a danger to the public !!
    Deceit and misrepresentation is the operational business model of Garda. They will lie and cajole in every manner possible to not reimburse employees for expenses they incur that are outlined in the work rules I.E. costs of Licensing and certifications required for you work, being paid under the employee referral program, recognizing and properly paying holiday hours and denying benefit reimbursements. All done BTW to pad the branch budget.
    The company does not pay its bills in any sort of timely manner so mechanics liens get filed against their trucks that they get repaired by outside shops, simple operational support supplies go either unordered or not delivered for months. Management seems to have no eye for organization and cleanliness. COMPANY RULES, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES ARE IGNORED AT THE WHIM OF MANAGEMENT. There is no level playing field to allow an employee to have a handle on what is right or wrong but be forever ready to be disciplined if YOU mess up !!! Management does a stellar job of covering each other's tails.

Have some engaged area management that travel and are directly involved in supervising your field operations and listening to the concerns of the Driver / Messengers. Your Branch Managers and the associated Operations managers in the branch network are a patchwork of folks who have reached their level of incompetence and they basically have no direct oversight other than conference calls.

So unprofessional, they completely under look great leaders

Former Employee - Screening Officer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Screening Officer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is the only reason people stay
    hours are brutal beyond words
    clicky lots of groups
    the managment sells drugs

Cons

opps those were as nice as pros can be...
    clicks
    hours
    management
    disrespect

Desperately needs to change

Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Garda World Security part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Garda world was not what I expected. They have more in common with Burger King than security or law enforcement

Cons

Its fedex with a gun, without fedex pay, and without fedex union representation... nothing more needs to be said.

Join at your own peril

Stop neglecting your associates.