Garda World Security Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

1.7

Garda World Security Chairman, President, CEO Stéphan D. Crétier
Stéphan D. Crétier

The company motto says "integrity", but I see little of it.

Current Employee - Marine Facility Security Officer  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marine Facility Security Officer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of work, high turnover in managers, who come and go and only try to make themselves look good.

Cons

average pay, many payroll errors caused by site supervisors not submitting hours correctly. The managers commit errors that put contracts at risk.

Evaluate your staff, promote based on competency and experience. Identify the poor performers and remove them from sensitive contracts.

If I was the President, I would be embarrassed - YYZ

Former Employee - YYZ - Aviation  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - YYZ - Aviation in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

coworkers - lower management - sympathize with each other when they are being crucified by upper management

Cons

no growth unless you speak French
    Upper management uses staff and throws them under the bus when it's their fault
    Upper management is clueless, naïve, and are majority retired Air Canada employees
    Your manager will mostly likely not know how to be effective manager
    Everyday there is a fear that you will be fired, walking on egg shells no matter if you do your job right
    You have to be "yes" person to survive in the culture, if you do what's right or speak up - you will be fired.

Learn leadership, management, and integrity maybe you won't have so much turnover. Stop promoting GardaWorld as a great place to work you are just lying and wasting candidate's time. Upper management don't be threatened by your staff if they do your job plus your job better than you!

Mr. Crétier if you are ruthless as a leader than kudos to you - your style definitely trickled down throughout your divisions.

They explain away their incompetence and tactics as being due to their "Corporate Culture" !!!!!

Current Employee - Driver/Messenger  in  Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Driver/Messenger in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ego massage for some employees yet the majority of coworkers are some of the most upstanding folks I have ever met. I felt that my back was covered.

Cons

The majority of the truck flleet are death traps and a risk to operate by the employees and a danger to the public !!
    Deceit and misrepresentation is the operational business model of Garda. They will lie and cajole in every manner possible to not reimburse employees for expenses they incur that are outlined in the work rules I.E. costs of Licensing and certifications required for you work, being paid under the employee referral program, recognizing and properly paying holiday hours and denying benefit reimbursements. All done BTW to pad the branch budget.
    The company does not pay its bills in any sort of timely manner so mechanics liens get filed against their trucks that they get repaired by outside shops, simple operational support supplies go either unordered or not delivered for months. Management seems to have no eye for organization and cleanliness. COMPANY RULES, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES ARE IGNORED AT THE WHIM OF MANAGEMENT. There is no level playing field to allow an employee to have a handle on what is right or wrong but be forever ready to be disciplined if YOU mess up !!! Management does a stellar job of covering each other's tails.

Have some engaged area management that travel and are directly involved in supervising your field operations and listening to the concerns of the Driver / Messengers. Your Branch Managers and the associated Operations managers in the branch network are a patchwork of folks who have reached their level of incompetence and they basically have no direct oversight other than conference calls.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disconnected

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cant think of any. Its a tough place to work. Its really behind the times on so many levels.

Cons

The company does not invest into its people. Hence, lack talent to move business forward. Medical plans have outrages family out of pockets expense. There is no 401-k match in any capacity. Hard to hire talent as wages are not in line with the industry.

You need to invest into your people and the resources its takes to grow the business. Upgrade the fleet. Outside of California the fleet is a mess. Find a direction and move forward. Stop all the freezes on hiring and then wonder why service is awful.

The writing on the wall speaks volumes

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Get to work outdoors with little supervision, that is until you make it back to your garage.
    Good uniforms but have to pay for just about everything else.
    Some good co-workers trying to make it big somewhere else like most of us are.
    They will give you time off if you absolutely need it

Cons

Its a temporary position for most trying to get into better/real careers. One can't call Garda a career.

Training is very lackadaisical and doesn't represent the troubles or dangers we faced.
    Orientation period is lackadaisical and laughable.
    Training that does exist sets a very poor image for Garda.

Pay is meager which would be acceptable if training was something that was marketable to higher paying contract security gigs, law enforcement, or the likes. However, pay is a serious issue at Garda and is one of the primary reasons why turnover is high, moral low, and competence level of co-workers questionable. Pay is not worth you possible death or serious physical injuryt; in addition, your medical expenses and funeral costs more than likely will not be covered by Garda but your family or loved ones. Who after reading these reviews will more than likely be overjoyed that you are working for such a stand up company.

Overworked, expect 12 hour days, early starts, late dismissals, picking up stops for others, given extra stops for being early, carrying bags that weigh 40+lbs, driving around in traffic, weather delays, customers delaying the whole process, and being blamed for all of the misfortunes this stuff causes your routes. Somehow Garda expects you to be capable of controlling the weather, parting traffic like Moses did to the ocean, and constantly explaing to customers why its important for them to be on time and ready to go (so much for the sales force informing and educating the customers )

Many people believe that our trucks are full of three-four man teams... this is a delusional misconceptions. Most trucks are two many, and if the company could get away with making them one man they would. Also don't expect to be rockin a shotgun or a rifle, only the BADGUYS get to carry "better" weaponry. Your just a pawn to Garda so they wouldn't waste their time or money training you to use BETTER weaponry or making sure you stay safe with three-four man crews.

If it is an extended crew its likely due to an insanely high risk... such as mall moves during Xmans or a Federal Reserve run. Pray its a Fed run cause the feds send their people and they are much better trained and prepared than any of the silly people employed by Garda (excluding those with military experiance).

Management is a joke and corporate has no clue how to do anything other than counting their beans. They read these reviews and just think its a few disgruntled employees, in reality these few reviews highlight serious issues that need solutions; however, corporate and management could care less to them you are just SHEEPEOPLE being sent to the slaughter to feed their o-so more important needs.

Equipment is disgustingly antiquated compared to other logistic companies.

Scheduling is impossible you will never know when you will get done. This is again dependent on other factors explained previously. Also defendant on who you work with and how well you know your area/customers. Getting done early just means more work is shuffled onto you.

No time to take your 30 minute lunch or 15 minute breaks you will eat on route in your truck... If you bring food.

Your employees are yours... they are your family... your team... your representatives...

Neglecting them just hurts your business and budget book. And it makes you look unhuman, robotic, and ignorant.

There would be real befits from solving the problems I discussed.

Corporate Executives Have No Clue What They Are Doing...

Current Employee - Armed Driver/Guard  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Armed Driver/Guard in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time

Pros

Great and amazingly fantastic water in the managers office; however, you only get called in there when you'r in trouble. Never for anything positive or uplifting.
    You get paid
    You get to look somewhat like law enforcement just in a lesser form

Cons

Pay which doesn't amount to the risk or long long long hours you will put in
    No over time cause of silly DOT transportation laws applying to over the road truckers who cross state lines... Funny we have never crossed state lines while I worked there.
    Training is a joke if you even get it any at all
    Horrible scheduling and you never know when you will be bringing your route in to base at the end of the day. And if you do that to early you are punished with more stops or special requests to go back out.
    Equipment that is similar to a whole in a boat or a sinking boat
    Management who have never done our job and have no idea how their ignorance affects our accomplishments of our duties.
    Cruddy communication from management
    Not many opportunities to move above branch manager, since those jobs go to ex-bankers: who obviously have so much military/logistic/ and law enforcement experience they are clearly the RIGHT PEOPLE for the job...

Which with actions speaking louder than words would tell the competent guard/driver that.... Garda World Executives care more about bringing in the money; than bringing our guys and girls back home alive and safely.

This is why no one stays as a career move
    This is why everyone uses the job as a stepping stone
    This coupled with Garda's tyrannical managerial style has led to a work environment of constant turnover where your lucky to work with anyone who actually knows what they are doing.

You need to do undercover boss for a year that would open your eyes.

You have good employees and you neglect us... We deserve higher pay and professional training especially the customer service communication and militaristic type.

Desperately needs to change

Current Employee - Armed Driver/Guard  in  Bloomington, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Armed Driver/Guard in Bloomington, IL (US)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

They give you water in the break room, sometimes coffee too, and when you start you get a fancy handbook that has absolutely nothing to do with the realities you will be faced with daily.

Cons

Pay not worthy of the risk or physical abilities needed to complete duties, corporate structure and management that acts like a despotic regime, no training or very little training given-which seems to depend on managements mood during the month, not to many competent co workers, to many who think they are bullet proof, company issued weapons are disgusting and poorly kept, all company equipment especially trucks are on their last leg, and having absolutely no clue every single day what time you will be done with work; in addition, because of low staffing moral many people call in or off and adding our low staffing levels to that mix means management will expect you to come in and work. Even if you were out until 700pm the day before.

My advice to ignore the calls, but my best advice is to never eva never take a job with Garda or Cash-Logistic companies.

Clean up your act...

Increase base pay to 13$, allowing for a raise cap up to 15-16$ for all guards/drivers, bring in people with tactical knowledge to train us, bring back 3 team crews, give us radios or cell phones to communicate, issue dependable equipment and weapons (Glock), actually let new guys train a few days on driving skills, it isn't easy to get new guys to adapt to our larger vehicles under the STRESS of getting the route done on-TIME, stop caring so much about money and focus on creating deficiency and professionalism the money will follow, lastly you need to bring in people who can teach communications skills like (VERBAL JUDO), because some of my co-workers kill the customer/staffer relationship.

Do this would take commitment but it would bring real change, opposed to the false changes you say take place from some of your silly ideas.

Like Fedex with a Gun

Current Employee - Armed Driver/Guard  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Armed Driver/Guard in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Garda World Security part-time for more than a year

Pros

Getting an unlivable wadge paid to you bi-weekly.
    On the rare occasion working with good crew-member.
    Looking cool and caring a weapon.

Cons

In all reality we guards are glorified Fedex Drivers with Guns; yet, unlike Fedex we don't make overtime, a decent wadge, have union representation, good PTO or vacation options, or fair work place practices.

Looking cool and caring a weapon means little when you realize that no one looks good in a coffin.

Keep in mind bad people kill each other for less than 200$, and we carry excessively more then that amount. With no back up, no paramilitary tactical training, and odds never in our favor. To laminate the idiocy at Garda and surrounding the cash-in-transit industry... They did away with allowing crews to use shotguns and have three members in each vehicle. Why? to save money on insurance, labor, and training; thus, proving they care little about security or safety of their staff and more about money money money.

What can you expect when leadership has no military or law enforcement experience. Or if there are middle managers with that experience I am sure they are ignored, until they start talking about how to line the companies bank account. Expect this to be the norm, because the managers and owners are ex-bankers... the same ones who failed on wall-street and got bailed out with our tax money.

Again, unfair pay and disgusting pay raises. No increase in pay based on experience or merit. Mafia styled leadership and management. Rules and Polices that are all smoke and mirror tactics or lip service. And false speeches given on promotion and company growth that are more comparable to propaganda speeches and news letters given by Hitlers Administration. Very very asinine company orientation and training which is barely existent at all. Its pretty much through the new guy at anyone who will take him, and hope he catches on... which the company should be ashamed of but is not.

I compared your company to Nazi Germany for a reason.

You can't keep lying to us. Telling us the company can't afford pay raises, benefits or good training. Especially when your CEO's compare us to Fedex and UPs, and post profits that are similar. Eventually you are going to have to change either threw your choosing or by being arm bared from a labor movement.

As it is be aware... I personally hold you responsible for anyone in Garda who losses their life, because of your neglect business practices, training, and lacking paramilitary mindset.

Garda's Corporate Elite live in a utopia mindset that doesn't acknowledge the evils it creates daily.

Current Employee - Armored Guard/Driver  in  Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Armored Guard/Driver in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Garda World Security part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its a job of indentured servitude so there really are none.
    They work with schedules when management feels like it.

Cons

Indentured servitude styled pay; thus, it is easy to come to the conclusion the pay is obnoxiously poor.
    Corporation acts like Russian Royalty during the Great Depression... O poor Garda Drivers/Guards your dying and starving? ----To Bad.

Really nothing else needs to be said. That total depicts how Garda operates.

You all need to get fired and work with us "guard/dirvers,' for at lest two years; hopefully losing your lavish lifestyles in the process, and seeing what the typical American is going threw today.

Just to have a real idea of how bad your company is, and how bad this Nations economy is.

Like shooting yourself in the foot

Current Employee - Driver/Guard
    Current Employee - Driver/Guard

I have been working at Garda World Security part-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no positives that are the primary result of working at Garda. You only get the secondary positives which come from being employed, nothing else.

Cons

Trucks
    Pay pay pay pay pay pay
    Benifits
    Horrible manager
    Lacking leadership
    Broke down equipment
    Risk of Death or Sever Injury- with pay that doesn't associate with that risk
    Training: it has more to do with allowing the company to fire you, while denying you an unemployment claim, and has absolutely nothing to do with reducing risks associated with the job. Or giving you great skill sets you could use in future employment
    Garda policies- smoke and mirror tactics
    Garda values and philosophies- nothing but lip service
    Garda as a career move with possible promotions past supervisor/branch manager- propaganda

Most vertical promotion possibilities to supervisor or branch manager exist not because of growth but rather atrocious turnover.

Did I mention Garda has a dizzying turnover rate top to bottom

Most people leave this company in a year or less and those who stay longer are not valued or payed more for their experience.

Management I know you don't care....

my advice goes to those thinking of working at Garda. Do not waste your time or risk your life. This is not a worthy or thankful company, and to Garda you are nothing more than a number printed on a white page.

Go back to school, get a trade certificate, heck get a job anywhere else... just don't become the name in the newspaper associated with yet another Armored Car robbery that resulted in another dead Garda employee.

Worked for Garda World Security? Contribute to the Community!