Gartner Reviews

601 reviews filtered by
4.0
Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Some groups allow you to work from home all the time or some of the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging if you dont clearly set this with yourself (in 22 reviews)

• Middle management is by comparison very poor and the leadership lacks strategic vision (in 18 reviews)

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Research Director in Egham, England
    Current Employee - Research Director in Egham, England

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture - Really fun place to work
    Great Work Life Balance - As an analyst, you can manage your time, and balance home and work life. I can take my kids to school 3 or 4 times a week, If I don't have client calls I can go go windsurfing, and catch up by working late in the evenings

Cons

Training could be better. Salaries are low given the seniority of the best analysts. There is not a good share option scheme. Some of the client facing support functions are very weak.

Advice to Management

Don't treat all analysts as equal, recognize each analyst for their strengths, and provide more training and support to develop weaker skills.

2. Inspiring Company, Ambitious, Sturdy, Passionate, with a Great Culture.

Current Employee - Client Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Client Executive in London, England

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Company believes in what it does and the people who work for it
    - Career Progression is the best I've seen in my 12 years in IT
    - Supportive of Employees, harmonious culture
    - Good Life/Work Balance
    - Good Benefits
    - Associates are, in general, happy to work for the company

Cons

- Sales territories could be a little better defined so that they compliment the AE's expertise
    - Interview process is rigorous ( but then again it drives the right results )
    - Share Programme could be improved

3. Work experience

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

decent salary, good reputation company

Cons

requires good ability to handle stress

5. Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in Egham, England
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Egham, England

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The commission structure is clear and easily achievable, there is plenty of support and training, you are constantly told to think about where you'd like to go next.

Cons

A lot of internal selling, no options to work from home

Advice to Management

Understand that people are different.

Intern

Former Employee - Junior Research Analyst in London, England
    Former Employee - Junior Research Analyst in London, England

I worked at Gartner

Pros

People are very nice and the opportunities you get as a Intern in terms of handling your own project, setting-up all planning schedules as well conducting your own research using Gartners research tools was very interesting.

Cons

Unfortunately there aren't many graduate/entry level positions in research related positions available at Gartners London Office.

7. A very fulfilling place to work - difficult to go back to a "normal" job afterwards!

Current Employee - Research Vice President in London, England
    Current Employee - Research Vice President in London, England

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

A unique way to earn a living. One day you're working from home, the next, you're having meetings at the highest management echelons of tech companies and corporate IT. Change the world from your home office! Creative thought isn't just encouraged - it's a must. And while we moan about things, we don't have a lot to moan about. Plus the stock has risen 1000% in the past 10 years.

Cons

It can be difficult to switch off - there is always some thread going round. Career development is very slow, so you need to be comfortable with what you're doing, and use the ever-changing tech scenery as the thing that gives you change in your professional life.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for career development in research. This exists in sales, for example... that dynamism just needs to be replicated elsewhere in the company.

Worst company to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Egham, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Egham, England

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Too much of hype created about the brand has created an illusion with employees and customers

Cons

Politics and Bureaucracy are rampant. False promises to clients exerts pressure on sales folks. Management is arrogant since they falsely believe that once stuck with research company, employees won't switch jobs

Advice to Management

Dont lie to customers about fictitious insights and push sales people beyond limits

9. Developing with Gartner

Current Employee - Sales Leader in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in London, England

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

I've found Gartner a place of employment which has encourages and supported development and provided the opportunity to grow as you deliver.
    Some people have been promoted through networking ability but there is still the opportunity to get on by doing the right thing and delivering against your objectives

Cons

We're an American based company with a number of metric and process's being implemented - you need to work for a manger who still realises the art of leadership rather than the metrics of management (there are still a few about!!)

Advice to Management

Try not to stifle managers with process.... as in sales there is an art and a science to both roles!!!!

The boys club galore

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Egham, England
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Egham, England

I worked at Gartner

Pros

Intellectually challenging environment surrounded by collaborative driven individuals. Superb training investments

Cons

No career profession roadmap, people get promoted based on who they're friends with as opposed to track record over and over again. Gartner's inside sales organisation is worse than a school playground where you are treated like a child. Management by spreadsheet. Worst environment I've ever experienced.

Advice to Management

Consider your treatment of employees as the industry is a closed knit one as great candidates are ever increasingly discouraged from joining the organisation based on word of mouth. Treat people like adults and they will act like adults.

11. Great Company

Current Employee - Senior Leader in Egham, England
    Current Employee - Senior Leader in Egham, England

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company for those who are hungry, hard working and willing to learn new things. The culture is great, there is a new challenge to face everyday and there is truly limitless opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Winner's Circle was shortened by 1 day, bring back the extra day!