Generac Power Systems Reviews

Reset
2.5
Generac Power Systems CEO Aaron Jagdfeld
Aaron Jagdfeld

Pros
  • Fast paced environment, a growing industry, a growing company with good benefits, good vacation package, and quarterly bonuses (in 5 reviews)

• High potential for growth if changes are made to improve relations with employees and pay scale (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is/was very very very antiquated in terms of work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management wants to create new processes, but won't fully fund the technology to create "excellence (in 4 reviews)

Good place to start and build a resume

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Waukesha, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Waukesha, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to start out at. You can build your resume up and go somewhere else. The high turnover allows for easy mobility.

Cons

Salary is about 30% lower than industry average. It is a revolving door here, people leave all the time. They do not retain good, talented employees.... Instead of paying them what they are worth, they let them walk. Most people come here for 2 years and then go to Cummins, Kohler, or CAT. Basically Generac trains employees for their competitors....

Advice to Management

start investing in employees. Retain and build up good talented people that can take the company to the next level and help the company grow and expand. Pay people what they are worth. It is worth it in the long run.

2. Great opportunities to set your own career path

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generac has experienced tremendous growth in the past 5 years, having tripled in sized and made 7 acquisitions. It's really exciting to be a part of Generac during this time of change where our industries and product line keep growing and diversifying! I have witnessed countless opportunities of people being promoted within the organization - I have seen people go from HR to marketing to sales, back to marketing, etc. I have seen several people start in an Inside Sales role, and move into a Retail Account Manager role, then move into a Product Manager role, then go to a marketing analytics position -- with the growth of the company, there really are endless opportunities to grow within and set your own career path, something that I really value for my own professional development and want for others, as well.

Cons

Obviously with the rapid growth we've experienced, there are some growing pains as we are still trying to catch up to our growth, we are understaffed in some areas and a lot of people wear many hats, which can be draining at times. With the initiative of moving towards being an engine powered tool company vs just back up power, there have been some ups-and-downs with sales as we work towards becoming more competitive in the market with a diverse portfolio, but I find it exciting and challenging vs something seen as a negative

Advice to Management

Sometimes executive management can have their hands in all areas that it feels like certain initiatives are being slowed down, so I would encourage them to give their teams the feeling of having more autonomy. However, I also do appreciate the visibility and access to senior management and opportunity to work closely with them

Staying until I find better options

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems (More than a year)

Pros

My close friends at work help me through the day.

Cons

There is a lack of communication from department to department. It is hard to complete a project in a timely matter.

Prepare to work nights and weekends without recognition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers to make the day enjoyable and will hang out with you after work. I have become good friends with my current and past co-workers,

Cons

Fast paced environment. A lot of expectations are given and you need to work nights and weekends in order to stay afloat. Some positions are easy and you will see co-workers checking websites like Facebook, ESPN, or personal sites throughout the day in order to have something to do. Others have so much on their plate that the need to work the entire day and into the evening and weekends in order to get things done. If something falls through the cracks then you are responsible for it even though you ask for help.

Advice to Management

Listen to the needs of your employees and understand what is all being asked of them. Get a better understanding of what is required of them on an every day basis as well as the additional projects that are asked of them continuously.

6. Sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Waukesha, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Waukesha, WI (US)

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The remodel looks nice. There are finally bathrooms that I'm not afraid to use.

Cons

If you are not into playing political games...stay away. I was moved from one position to another to another because of "restructuring". Had my sales bouns taken away without additional compensation.
         If you do not promote yourself, your accomplishments will not be noticed or recognized. So toot your own horn loud and long...doesn't matter if it is real or true.
         My supervisor (a VP) didn't know what his empolyees duties were, so he had the department administrator compelte his portion of the departmental reviews. They were based on how much she liked you...not performance.
        If you don't like the smell of the septic tank...this isn't the place for you. The pumper truck is there like once a week to pump out the septic tank, I had to plug my nose on the walk from my car to the back door or gag from the smell.

Advice to Management

Take the time to understand what your direct reports job duties are. That way you will be able to help them be the more productive. Make sure that all empolyees have the same amount of duties, some have way too many and some have time to play on instant messagenger and facebook all day.

Check your brains at the door

I worked at Generac Power Systems

Pros

Some really talented, friendly people work at Generac

Cons

A small group of executives make most of the decisions, most employees are not empowered to do what is required to really succeed. As an employee, I felt like the company viewed me as an expense, not an asset.

Advice to Management

Allow your talented people to make their own decisions. Be open to dissenting opinions, instead of punitive.

Be prepared for a negative experience and environment

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

There aren't many positives, and the negatives in the office have only been brought further to the surface by the present state of sales.

Cons

The company is run by a couple of executives and a hand picked group of favorite "chosen ones". There is no consideration for talent at this company, it's all a political game here. The behavior amongst this selected group is discouraging for the other 98% of employees. As aforementioned in other reviews, there are in fact many situations which would be considered severe HR issues in almost any other company that are swept under the rug for the selected group. And, there is no process whatsoever for most projects. Sales VPs/directors seem to be able to make whatever call they see fit for projects, regardless of if it's actually in their job description or area of expertise.

Advice to Management

In order to turn this place around, re-evaluate the executives/ VPs running the show. Establish policies and hold employees accountable in a fair and equal way.

Standards engineering

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI (US)

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast growing company with eyes on keeping current and future products the most advanced in the industry

Cons

Placing too much confidence in middle management and not listening to lower level employees. Especially ones with long years of experience.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees in standards to become a company wide function not just an individual plant function.

view as short term option only

I worked at Generac Power Systems

Pros

Hard to think of any other than it is a place to land only if you need an job immediately, especially since poor sales performance has made it even more of a tense, political place to work.

Cons

Fractured upper management that seems to only be able to manage towards short-term goals. Middle management and up positions are governed by politics, not quality of work. You will work with people that are in director and VP positions not because of ability but because of who they are "in" with. Low salaries coupled with unending work with no measurements or care about quality are the mainstay of workflow. Majority in most departments are unhappy. If you have other options, run. This company is known within Milwaukee's manufacturing community as a revolving door for a reason. Situations go on that would be serious HR issues in other companies, but here they are swept under the rug to protect certain individuals.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the executive that is really running the company at this point. His people are not good at their jobs, and his presence is demoralizing in general.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively fast paced organization with opportunity to learn quickly. Lots of cross departmental exposure.

Cons

There's a complete lack of ethical standards. The men, particularly in sales, who come in or move up in this company are manipulative. Instead of working together to grow the bottom line, the sales higher ups are in a constant battle to "steal" business from each other. These unethical standards aren't just with business operations- be prepared for affairs and other inappropriate relationships (IE boss/ employee relationships, men involved with multiple women in the office, etc) left and right. "Ethics" isn't a word that exists in the HR department or management circle at this organization. There are no boundaries to what is acceptable or how things get done.

Advice to Management

Stop ignoring the ridiculous behavior that's occurring everyday in the office.

RSS Feed </> Embed