General Dynamics

General Dynamics Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

General Dynamics CEO Phebe N. Novakovic

Phebe N. Novakovic

Pros:
  • "Great People, great benefits, good work"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The pay and benefits were incredible"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "HR and upper management are completely unaware of the male supervisors flirting with the female CSRs"
    in 10 reviews
  • "There are a couple big time asses that somehow manage to stay in middle management despite their incredible ineptitude and lack of people skills"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

An excellent working environment

Systems Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery professional and strong team culture

ConsCoherence across business to be improved

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep diversifying

Steady Company

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Molesworth, England

ProsHigh Level Mgmt is very ethical, as well as HR
Opportunities
Your work affects millions of lives positively
Great international salary overseas

ConsLots of micromanagement
Bad local managers, even customers mad at gd mgrs

Advice to Senior Managementbe kind to your employees - they're humans, not slaves

10 years at General Dynamics

BD and Marketing (Current Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStrong technology and manufacturing company. Broad range of programs and capabilities. High growth in Gulfstream business jet segment. Programs include ships, submarines, combat vehicles, and business jets.

ConsThe defense businesses at General Dynamics are under stress due to sequestration and a shrinking defense budget. The surge in commercial business jets, however, is helping to pick up the slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue growth in commercial business jets and incorporate new technologies.

Free meals a Plus

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
Falls Church, VA (US)

I worked at General Dynamics full-time for more than a year

ProsAt the corporate office your meals are provided, it's a great benefit as there is nothing within walking distance.

ConsIt's an old boys club type of company.

General Dynamics

I have been working at General Dynamics

ProsThe benefits are really good.. A decent pay .. a good starting point

ConsLike every where else you find those who will not give you two sense as well as those who will try their best at helping.

I find that GD really lacks in training, that their job titles do not match the job you are actually doing, positions are more segregated so when you are looking for another positions with the same title you are lacking the skills you need to acquire it.

Lacking in communications from supervisors on the job to management

Depending on what you are doing outgrowing this company is not impossible

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communications

Any port in a storm, they were hiring in the Texas mid-80s depression, a time of 17% unemployment.

Technical Writer IV (Former Employee)
Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at General Dynamics full-time for more than a year

ProsI worked at the F-16 Program in Ft. Worth, now Lockheed Martin. Excellent employee stock purchase plan, if you want the share certificates they will mail them to you.

ConsStodgy, good old boy ex-military mgmt. structure, it really helps to be ex-Air Force. Terrible Union relations, wanted salaried employees to work unpaid after hrs. as security guard during strikes. Strict, authoritarian corporate culture & workplace atmosphere. Salary so low I acquired a 39% raise for the exact same job relocating to CA.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike all aerospace it needs to be more of a meritocracy. Upper mgmt. needs to improve communication from the top down & across the board.

Decent company to work for, if you're young

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey provide great life-work balance, Flex-80 is like a 9/80 schedule but they allow you to make up missed time over 2 weeks to minimize PTO. It’s very nice to have some freedom of when you work (starting and leaving) providing you hit the critical meetings and support your projects. There are some great, smart talented people that work here and interacting with them is a real pleasure.
The pay and 401K match is average but not outstanding.

ConsIt wasn’t first apparent, but with the decline of the government work/contracts you can begin to see the dis-functionality of upper management. The company is run like an upside-down pyramid. It’s normal to cut lower level employees and engineers to an extent, but when 50+% of the work force are cut, and not one manager above the engineering level is affected what does that mean? How could that possibly be related to horrendous overhead rates?!? (Note sarcasm)

If you are an engineer you will be part of a “caste” system. There is a clear hierarchy that is not as apparent between departs as it is shown by management… specific departs were “pay leveled” by management, while others were given assurances their department wouldn’t get hit. – This makes sense based on your business model and technical products, but don’t claim to function as a “team” when there are clear favorites. (I am trying to be unbiased – I did NOT get pay adjusted)

Advice to Senior ManagementFor a business to be successful there is a clear critical mass that needs to be maintained between the elder, “knowledgeable/experienced” people and those young enough to adapt to change, offer different perspectives etc… We are below critical mass and there is little to no conduit to transfer “tribal knowledge”. Morale is rock bottom because there are no optimistic actions taken by this company to show appreciate for their workers. If you show the people respect they will WANT to work for you, not HAVE to work for you…

Coercive rather than collaborative culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Herndon, VA (US)

I worked at General Dynamics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are no pros to working for this company

ConsThis is not a Team environment

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the coercive executives in the organization and replace them with collaborative executives

It was terrible!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Sandy, UT (US)

I worked at General Dynamics full-time for less than a year

ProsThe pay and benefits were incredible.

ConsManagement didn't care about their employees. The would bend the rules only if they knew it would benefit them Micro management is immature and unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who know how to do their job instead of just guessing and pretending. Look into what type of person they are. Are they a person who loves power and will take advantage of people? Or are they a great leader who would do right and ensure a positive environment?

Great company to work for

Finance Manager (Current Employee)
Montgomery, AL (US)

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI liked the people (local). Benefits are good, company values are very good and usually retention if very high

ConsUnfortunately they created a position for me as a promotion, then the powers above my boss decided there wasn't enough revenue coming in to handle my salary so I was let go due to funding. Had I know that ahead of time, I would have stayed in my position as the Finance Manager.

Worked for General Dynamics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Dynamics reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for General Dynamics CEO Phebe N. Novakovic. All 121 reviews are posted anonymously by General Dynamics employees.