Genesis HealthCare

www.genesishcc.com
Employer Engaged

Negative

Current Employee - COTA/L in Rochester, NH (US)
    Current Employee - COTA/L in Rochester, NH (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have not eliminated paid time off or medical benefits yet.

Cons

Unreasonable productivity demands causing ethical billing delemmas daily
    No breaks
    No pay raise in years
    All the company cares about is making money, compromising quality of care to do so
    They do no allow COTA's to perform at the top of their license, you are treated more like a rehab tech
    Although you receive paid sick leave, you are strongly encouraged to make up the day or get written up for taking 3 separate days within 90 days.

Management needs to acknowledge work well done and not just productivity. It would be helpful if management also recognized we are working with medically compromised individuals who have rights and those rights need to be acknowledged.

Getting worse as the years go by

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I met a lot of great people in the years I spent with this company. When i started it really was a great job however over the years things changed.

Cons

poor benefits despite it being a health care company. Mandatory weekends with little chance of getting a flex day. Black out days for holiday and summer vacations. when you need a day off they either deny it or tell you to work on sat and then when your anniversary comes you are left with vacation/personal time that you forfeit. Christmas and Thanksgiving are the only recognized rehab holidays. You will be working 4th of July, New Years day, labor day etc etc etc without holiday/time and half pay; Need approval for continuing ed courses, pay freezes CONSTANTLY, high turn over rate, do not match 401K. every year they take a little more from their loyal employees until you cant take it anymore and finally leave. Oh any they no longer offer short term disability. if you want it you have to purchase AFLAC. poor mentoring for new hires. if you are not good with a computer just forget it.

care a little more about your long term employees. they have been loyal and deserve respect vs pushing them out and hiring new grads for less pay. Worry more about treating the staff you have fairly vs taking over smaller companies. Match 401Ks and get rid of pay freezes.
    why give employees time off when you deny it every chance you get. 6 day a week work week is awful. Disappointed to see what Genesis has become since i first walked through the door as a new grad.

Incompetent leadership.

Former Employee - Rehab Specialist in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Rehab Specialist in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Interesting and needy patient caseload. Establishment of mutually beneficial professional relationships is possible.

Cons

Vicious, brutal management style, designed to mask the incompetence of the leadership. Clinicians were repeatedly threatened, insulted, misrepresented and falsely accused by depraved and uncivilized Directors and Area Managers. All employees found their supervisors and upper management to be repulsive in their ineptitude and boorishness.

They should be ashamed of themselves. Serves them right to lose so much business in one year.

Coercive Power Management

Former Employee - SLP in Roswell, NM (US)
    Former Employee - SLP in Roswell, NM (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

The pros were working with the geriatric population, and developing POTs for patients.

Cons

Ridiculously high productivity model. The whip was cracked on us daily over that. Many of us would clock out to do paperwork, so we could meet the productivity percentage. Pay was based hourly, so it meant very long days, as all the patients were individually targeted for therapy sessions.

Since I was the sole SLP, I only had myself to depend on for completion of screenings, evaluations, therapy, and carry-over skills of patients. No PRN was available. I was only allowed one week of vacation at a time. My first vacation came 1.5 years later, after this company took over. My days were 10-12 hours long most of the time. When a resignation letter is presented, forfeiture of accrued PTO is automatic. Not a best practice, but no one is going to enforce anything, because no law exists for that in my state. It is a tattletale, micromanagement model. It makes the workplace a stressful, often hostile environment. When I placed my resignation, immediately I was bullied. Attempting to leave sooner than the resignation date is not an option. I was threatened with being blacklisted for attempting to employ constructive resignation. As to my reference letter, my boss conveniently ignored it. I will stay on that, since I worked at my host facility for nearly three years. I deserve that much. Five minutes after I clocked out for the last time, my boss cleaned off my desk within five minutes. Good thing I had the foresight to extract all my personal belongings ahead of time. I'm glad for the experience, but truly the bottom line is profitability.

Budget is number 1 Residents number 2

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Weekly pay
    Decent benefits
    Close to home

Cons

Building as a whole is a mess
    Takes a month to hire new employees
    No control over your department administrator has the final say.
    Polices and procedures in place something dont make sense to sensible human being.

Resign so people with fresh ideas van lead the company

Rehab Office Coordinator

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Flexible Hours are a plus,

Cons

Having to share laptop and not haveing your own space

Nothing Special

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere. Love the residents here and my other colleagues. Definitely helps you grow in the people skills area.

Cons

Administration seems a bit lacking. Seems disorganized at times. Orientation/training does not explain all parts of the job. Felt as though I was just thrown into it.

Get organized.

Run

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Nothing I can think of

Cons

Only care about frauding the system

Take care of your employees

Cna genesis agency

Current Employee - CNA in Phila, PA (US)
    Current Employee - CNA in Phila, PA (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Selection in assignments ,timely pay

Cons

Hard to get close to home shifts at times

Contract more facilities in Phila

Beware "The Walmart of Healthcare "

Former Employee - Manager/Director in Silver Spring, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Manager/Director in Silver Spring, MD (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

a job for someone who has none.

Cons

Unfortunately I endured working for this tUncaring , money oriented " Company . They do not value their employees , it is a huge revolving door driven by corporate politics .The motto should be "do more with less " Reported Unsafe conditions hey chose to sweep everything under the rug.
    Basically a large kitty litter box that corporate and administrator keeps covering up the daily poop rather than doing anything to improve or fix the issues
    No opportunity for paid educational opportunities
    Inadequate staffing
    Inadequate budgets ( non existent )
    Benefits are the worse - pay more and get less every year.
     " Bottom Feeders" who do not care about the employers. Or unfortunately the paying patients !

Value your talented staff and actually read and understand and live your bogus promised
    Compensate staff appropriately
    Provide adequate benefits
    Employees keep paying more get less benefits and genesis pockets it all
    Too worried about acquisitions , stock and being the biggest .
    Never learned from their past bankruptcies
    Greedy
    Reported grievances never heard.
    They use snd abuse their employees

Genesis HealthCare Photos