Genworth Financial Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

3.2

Genworth Financial President & CEO Thomas J. McInerney
Thomas J. McInerney

Pros
  • good work life balance, good compensation (in 13 reviews)

• Fairly good benefits although worse in the last several years (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work-life balance - a throwback from the GE mantra (in 10 reviews)

• It may be difficult to move new ideas through upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company

I have been working at Genworth Financial

Pros

Good work and life balance. People are diversified and generally very nice. Study support is very good too.

Cons

It is ver political at the senior level. If you are in the wrong crowed, you could be out of the door very soon.

Poor

I worked at Genworth Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are the greatest asset

Cons

Pay is poor in comparison to other companies

Reduce politics

Good medium sized multinational to work in, aside from the business model

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Genworth Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

People, good access to senior execs, innovative

Cons

Strong headwinds due to mortgage risk exposure and personal credit exposure

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good launching pad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Genworth Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training and development was the best I've ever seen. They offer courses on a variety of subjects that help develop your career path within the company.

Cons

Salaries tend to be below market and inconsistent. Top heavy. Too many managers and not enough people to do the work. Management constantly changing course and restructuring. Regular employees end up working 12+ hours per day trying to keep up with changes while worried about job security.

There are too many of you.

Great People but high turnover

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in London, England

I worked at Genworth Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great friendly people. Very smart.

Cons

Cavalier attitude about sales and customer service

Overall positive..cares about employees

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Genworth Financial full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great flexibility, wonderful values, respect for work-life balance, great positive can do attitude is fostered.

Cons

Lack of skilled trained management at mid level. Personal growth is challenging unless you spend a lot of time in the home in the Raleigh office. Training Dept doesn't understand the functions well enough to offer well designed training. "Problem" employees are tolerated rather than dealt with...morale is impacted.

Recent Genworth new-hire

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lynchburg, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA (US)

I have been working at Genworth Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

Genworth offers an excellent on-boarding process, competitive market salary, competive benefits package, and an excellent time-off package. The recuritment process was well managed and executed. Corporate value is Integrity Fisrt at all levels, and this is seen in action... not just a slogan on a poster. Corporate culture places emphasis on inclusion, diversity, volunteerism, and opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Adequate parking is provided for the Lynchburg facility, although you should be willing to walk a couple blocks to work each day from the available garages.

Offering Floating holidays to accommodate other non-Christian religious observances would be a nice option to support diversity. These floating holidays could be used as desired for Christmas, Easter/Good Friday, Kwanzaa, Passover, Hanukkah, etc... according to individual employee religious preferences.

A Breath of Fresh Air

Current Employee - Senior Benefit Analyst  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Benefit Analyst in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Genworth Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Genworth is dedicated to providing a diverse and inclusive workplace. At Genworth, my hard work and enthusiasm is recognized and my opportunities for growth are endless. My leaders are there to assist in navigating my career and are enthusiastic about my personal and professional growth.

Cons

If I could change anything about Genworth, it would be that current employees be able to compete for intern positions if they have the desire to change fields.

My advice to management is to continue to be invested in your employees and their development. Assisting others in their growth is what will continue to make us all successful.

Genworth Financial's Review

Current Employee - User Experience Analyst - IT  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - User Experience Analyst - IT in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Genworth Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Genworth has great benefits, people and opportunities. Employees are given the flexibility to experiment, make mistakes and work flexible schedules that accommodate their lifestyles. Genworth does a good job of tapping into talent and maximizing the potential of their employees. There is room for growth and people are genuinely trying to do the right thing. Salaries are competitive.

Cons

The physical offices are not in great shape and don't foster creativity or employee retention (Richmond and Lynchburg offices). Especially compared to local competitors such as Capital One. Many folks are still stuck in the "GE" mentality and the culture is resistant to change and new ideas at times. The company is not cutting edge when it comes to technology and ways of thinking, although we have come a ways in the past few years. Getting resource and surge support is not easy and money and resourcing allocation seems random rather than strategic. Genworth is a delivery and execution focused company--they lack strategic focus and regularly work on projects without goals, metrics, audiences, etc. Genworth is not very early career friendly, but they do offer several development and internship programs to get your foot in the door. Genworth doesn't typically terminate people for poor performance (or for "going against the grain"). It can be based on tenure and likability which is not a great business model.

Be open to change and new ways of thinking. Start with a problem and a strategy first rather than beginning with solutions. Actually get rid of people who are not aligned to objectives, processes and are on their own agendas. Don't take risks and guess what our customers want -- actually do the research and due diligence first before building a solution. Create better avenues for early career associates, especially those new to Richmond to retain them.

Good internship program

Former Employee - IT Intern  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Genworth Financial as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good internship and training program with good leaders

Cons

Not always enough work for interns

Worked for Genworth Financial? Contribute to the Community!