Genworth Financial

www.genworth.com

Genworth Financial Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Genworth Financial – Richmond – “Genworth Sign”

Genworth Financial President & CEO Thomas J. McInerney

Thomas J. McInerney

Pros
  • good work life balance, good compensation(in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits, generally good people to work with(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work-life balance - a throwback from the GE mantra(in 10 reviews)

• Upper management decisions on weathering economic downturn resulted in layoff-rehire-layoff strategy(in 7 reviews)

Good company

ProsGood work and life balance. People are diversified and generally very nice. Study support is very good too.

ConsIt is ver political at the senior level. If you are in the wrong crowed, you could be out of the door very soon.

Good medium sized multinational to work in, aside from the business model

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsPeople, good access to senior execs, innovative

ConsStrong headwinds due to mortgage risk exposure and personal credit exposure

A good launching pad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsTraining and development was the best I've ever seen. They offer courses on a variety of subjects that help develop your career path within the company.

ConsSalaries tend to be below market and inconsistent. Top heavy. Too many managers and not enough people to do the work. Management constantly changing course and restructuring. Regular employees end up working 12+ hours per day trying to keep up with changes while worried about job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are too many of you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People but high turnover

Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat friendly people. Very smart.

ConsCavalier attitude about sales and customer service

Great people, management is turning over - hopefully for the better.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsMost of the employees I work with a good, solid, smart and engaging. Benefits are good, one of the best paid employers in the Richmond area.

ConsThis company has been in flux since the financial crisis in 2008. Some months it feels like we are headed in the right direction, others, not so much.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a track and stick with it, this company could be one of the greats - the talent is there it just needs the right direction without all of the distractions and pet projects.

Good Experience

Operations Intern (Current Employee) Lynchburg, VA (US)

ProsThe pay is good, and the people are great to work with. The experience is great for entry level or college level interests.

ConsCan be mundain and boring

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue communiction improvements with interns and training

Future remains in Doubt

Client Service and Sales (Current Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsSome vestige of former prestige remains. This was a company that fought above its weight class and could be the turnaround story of the decade. Some flexibility in certain roles. Some areas and departments have managers that care deeply about their team.

ConsThis has been a fragmented and confused businesses since mid-2006. Once the wheels came off the bus with the recession, things got bad. While this was true across the industry it was especially bad for Genworth as the company was exposed to financial services in wealth management and insurance/risk products; as well, they had significant exposure in housing. A real double whammy.

As the business began to recover, a senior leader was brought that inevitably has caused significant harm to part of the insurance business. Definitively, he lied to associates and national clients. He "moved on" a few months after things went very bad -- you can connect the dots. While I hope things get fixed, we currently have people running parts of the business with little to no experience - real amateurs.

Several long term leaders that were trusted and liked were run out of the business in the last 2 years. There is no trust with much of the functional front line leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not think they would listen. We do regular internal surveys which produce no action.

Really great learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsLiked the team, reasonable money

ConsProgression in Genworth was difficult - though a multinational it had a lot of politics to navigate

An amazing company

IT Intern (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people, great pay, great location

ConsA bit boring at times, insurance isn't always interesting

Genworth has an incredible development program for internships

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, generally good people to work with

ConsLots of red tape within this corporate environment

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk for suggestions from the employees

Worked for Genworth Financial? Contribute to the Community!