Giant Eagle Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
3.1

Giant Eagle Interim President & CEO Laura Shapira Karet
Laura Shapira Karet

Pros
  • They do have an excellent benefits package that they offer to their part-time employees (in 18 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and the job is not very stressful to do (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • It is virtually impossible to get a full time position (in 25 reviews)

• Everyone in the company is miserable with upper management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing opportunity

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Works with my school schedule

Cons

They hire idiots, so people constantly come and go

Stock clerk

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Poland, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Poland, OH (US)

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides a great training program and is very flexible with its employees. It respects the ones that do a good job. Pay is pretty good for the job.

Cons

I dont really have any con's about working there. I guess I could say that they keep up under a certain amount of hours so you are not considered a full time employee.

My experience there was nice , but I was targeted as a patsy.

Former Employee - Assistant Meat Team Leader in Willoughby, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Meat Team Leader in Willoughby, OH (US)

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with good people most of the time Pay scale was competitive. Flexable work schedule is desirable. constant and steady work is always there.

Cons

advancements are considered by who you know, not what you know. Your accomplishments are overlooked, credit goes to the wrong person.

Pay attention to reliable, honest, and hard working employees when they give their all, tell you their heartfelt opinions,

Dedication to find best role for employees

Former Employee - Contractor in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Contractor in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Giant Eagle as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The management works with employees to find the best roles for them to succeed. They often promote in-house, and care about the work the company does. They are very flexible with employees schedules, and have been setting up more time for employees to work from home. Certain department heads really show their appreciation for their employees, especially when they go above and beyond.

Cons

Benefits and labor force have gone up and down over the last decade, mostly reflecting the broader economy. The pay isn't superb.

The surprise layoffs cause some underlying resentment in employees.

Strategic vision is lacking

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to move up and around and learn many different sides of the business. The convenience store side is a juggernaut with a smaller team.

Cons

We were told we had a record profit, but missed target, and the layoffs began. Supermarket side is slow to move, and the experience that has made it so successful is also what holds it back from innovating.

Own your place in the market or invent a new one, but stop trying to be Tesco, Kroger, Wegmans, etc.

Management needs reviewed

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Erie, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Erie, PA (US)

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They do have an excellent benefits package that they offer to their part-time employees. Flexible schedule and the job is not very stressful to do.

Cons

Pay is pretty sub-standard and they cut out their maintenance department to save a little money....which puts the responsibility on other workers to clean up messes. Also, I am not a huge fan of the finger scanner as a means to using their time clock, what is so wrong with a badge? Why do I need to submit intrusive information about myself just to punch in for work?

The management seems to be lost most of the time, except for maybe a one or two. They are quick to go around and blame someone for something when they have no evidence that said person did anything. Favoritism is apart of the culture at this grocery store.

You know a company and management is pretty much lost when in their own orientation, they pretty much admit to copying another stores practices (Wegmans) to try and make it onto Forbes 100 best places to work. That will not happen with the management that they install to run stores. Even their new stores that they are currently building have the same layout design as Wegmans stores. C'mon guys!

Hire back you maintenance department to keep the store clean and friendly. And start another (new) management training program or something to get these guys to be more efficient and more encouraging to their subordinates.

Great at First

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Solon, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Solon, OH (US)

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at a Bakery Market District so it was A LOT bigger and there were a lot of different products from a normal Giant Eagle. They had great food for your break and the way they did things as far as presentation and decoration was very upscale and modern.

I learned so many different recipes just from watching the demo chefs and trying their samples. I learn a lot about cakes and desserts and how to decorate and different types of bread and how to pair them with meals.

The pay was weekly, every Thursday, which was awesome. You also got an employee discount at any Giant Eagle or Get Go but it was only 10% and it was only for their name brand products which I'm not really a fan of to begin with.

Co-workers were from all different age groups and races and backgrounds which I liked about that. We had people from all over the world that could speak different languages. I could be working with one of my high school classmates and someone that could be like my grandma.

Cons

I was actually a part time employee but I got hours like I was full time which was okay for the money but I only got paid $8/hr and I got no benefits. They're really strict with being in the department on time and even earlier than you're supposed to be there. It was kinda hard since the walk from your car in the far out employee parking to the break room to the department was 10 minutes alone. Not to mention your break for an 8 hour day was 15 minutes so by the time you got to the break room, because you weren't allowed to sit in the cafe for some reason, you had to make your way back down to your department.

You rarely got weekends off but calling time off was okay if you haven't in a while. You get holiday pay but I NEVER once got scheduled for a holiday that I requested. They only picked the people they liked to get the extra pay. They also failed to recognize customer compliments and good comments. I got several and I never knew about it until the customer came back to ask if I got them. You would get the card they sent and a coupon for a free lunch or something. It's not even about the coupon or anything it's about hearing some positive reinforcement and that's ALWAYS nice especially when all your managers do is complain about EVERYTHING from breadcrumbs to the right shade of purple icing in the case. It's like they try to hide the good from you to get you to try to do better or something I don't know.

I was recommended by several of my coworkers to move up to decorator and one of the decorators was even showing me how to do a lot of stuff in her own time because she saw potential. And I have to admit I was a fast learner and I got very good at it. Good flowers, borders, and color combinations. I decorated a few of my own cakes, all different shapes and sizes and colors and took time out to show the lead decorator and she seemed impressed I guess. She made it seem like she would look into getting me into the decorator position but she seemed uninterested but she knew I was qualified. But the decorator position I hear is VERY stressful so a lot of them ended up quitting. I wanted to take one of the positions and work half the week as a clerk and the other half training to be a decorator. I applied and everything but they hired several other decorators and waited until I had been late one day to scold me about it and tell me I couldn't be a decorator because of it. I also tried to move to a different department and got the same thing.

They're just really shady. I've seen higher ups try to sabotage people's jobs. All the managers were trying to stab each other in the backs for some reason.. People frame people and lie and tattle like it was a competition. I felt like there was like a ranking in how important you are in the bakery. If you were a clerk you were dirt. You were just a sales pawn that cleaned everything and took crap from customers, which I never really got bad customers anyway. If I did they were upset about the decorators not following the order taken and even then they were sweet enough not to take it out on me. Then it was the bakers, the decorators, the highly trained pastry chefs, then the bakery managers. I felt like everyone else looked down on the clerks because they weren't the ones that made everything look pretty.

It got to the point where every day I walked in I'd be pulled aside and questioned about something someone said I did or said. Rumors spread quick and you had to REALLY watch what you said or did because the next day it'd get around and get twisted up to make you look bad and you'd get pulled aside and go through "I heard from her who heard from her who heard from him that you said this" almost every day. Because that's what they did. They blew everything out of proportion for whatever reason and all this he said she said stuff went around SO BAD. Got to the point where people quit left and right because of the way people were treating each other. I was so stressed out that I would DREAD going to work and pretty much cry before heading out. I got sick so often and I started having problems with my wrist, I gained weight and everything. I'm sorry but $8/hr wasn't worth my well-being.

I feel like you need to try to lower the stress levels of employees by a lot because my managers would be stressed and take it all out on the clerks and everyone else in the department. It's not always about making the customer happy.

Politics

Former Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay, great perks, flexible

Cons

A lot of politics. The second they decide they dont like your personality, they find a way to fire you. I wouldnt recommend working in the Giant Eagle HR dept unless you are good at being a suck up to the higher ups. the sad truth. The money didnt even make me happy working at giant eagle.

Get new and fair management

Dairy stocker, Columbus, ohio

Current Employee - Dairy Stocker in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Dairy Stocker in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pays the bills, close to home, fuel perks

Cons

If your female you might as well forget trying to advance, I've been at giant eagle for 5 years now and have been denied twice and.picked over for a man, also some managers are just bullies and like to pick on employees for no reason

Managers should recognize good employees and allow them to advance not just the ones that kiss butt alot

Unprofessional technicians, and pharmacists with weak leadership

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (more than an year)

Pros

10% discount own brand.... .....

Cons

Unprofessional pharmacy enviroment. Pharmacists join in with technicians talking about each other. Team members with seniority always get everything. Bullying!!!