Giant Eagle

Be The First To
Add Photos

Giant Eagle Interim President & CEO Laura Shapira Karet

Laura Shapira Karet

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling allows entry level Team Members a balance between home life, work and school(in 16 reviews)

• I have worked for the company for almost 7 years as a part-time employee in the Eagle's Nest(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • It is virtually impossible to get a full time position(in 23 reviews)

• Lack of communication in lower levels of management(in 7 reviews)

VERY busy, but not boring...

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsGreat job for anyone considering any career in the medical field. You quickly learn prescription language, insurance policies, drug names, etc. Fairly flexible schedule and hours. Ability to pick up extra hours if desired. Pharmacy managers are pharmacists and most have been fair, knowledgable, and willing to teach technicians.

ConsThe pharmacy is SO busy. Customers expect the same "rules" that apply in the grocery store apply in the pharmacy. Customers can be frustrating. They think the drive-thru should fill prescriptions as quickly as McDonalds makes cheeseburgers...
    Also, they offer tuition assistance after you work there for one year which is great, but when I applied after a year they denied me due to "budget cuts." This was the ultimately my reason for leaving...

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the stipulations for tuition assistance clearer from the beginning so that employees counting on that assistance are not let down when it is denied.

I worked at very good Pharmacy Store.

Lead Pharmacy Tech (Former Employee) Frederick, MD (US)

ProsDepending on your position, pay is decent.

ConsManagers needs to be more considerate to their junior employees.

Love hate relationshop

Stock Clerk (Former Employee) Baden, PA (US)

ProsGood hours, good people, decent pay for a part time job. Overall I didn't mind going to work which says a lot for my first job, I think. I actually really liked my bosses and they were understanding and easy to get along with.

ConsWeird scheduling, boring work sometimes. The job itself could be mundane and boring but the hours weren't too long so it was nothing unbearable.

Advice to Senior Managementmore room for advancement!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company

Project Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsGood culture and chances for improvement

ConsToo many conflicting priorities from sr management

Good place to start your career while protected from incompetent management

Grocery Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible hours to fit your schedule. Typically nice people to work with.

ConsOnly part time positions for the most part. Not alot of advancement potential.
    Closed shop: everyone must join the Union. Seemed like allot of money down the hole for relatively little benefit.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport advancement potential whenever possible. Promoting from within is better for morale and is less costly for the company.

Front end Coordinator

Front End Coordinator (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsThe people I worked with were very nice.

ConsNo upward mobility and management is not friendly

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn employees names

Please look elsewhere for a career

Cashier (Current Employee) Willoughby, OH (US)

ProsPay and benefits are ok if you've been there for over 10 years, the coworkers are nice but that depends on the store you're at

ConsThe work schedule changes from week to week so it's very hard to make set plans, very little career advancement within the company, no training for career advancement unless you're hired to fill a position

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on customer service and not on low prices, hire from within the company and don't just look at people outside of the store, give people full time hours and stop cutting hours to lower prices

Good if you're a teen or student but that's it

Front End Cashier (Current Employee) Brecksville, OH (US)

Pros- They will work around your availability pretty well when it comes to classes which is a plus.
    - I guess the 10% discount off store brand stuff?

Cons- Corporate can care less about their employees and the company has been going downhill ever since the founders daughter took over with her big plans to go from 8 to 20 billion in profit in the next 4 years. Things even got so bad for a while there that her Dad had to come out of retirement to save the company and ever since he left again things have gone downhill again.

- Stores are given very few hours to work with but are expected to do more with said shortened hours. Our store is a high EBT store and has a TON of backstock at the beginning and end of the month and there is no way we can ever clear that up since we're so understaffed. It's also completely ridiculous that customers need to wait in lines going down the aisle at 8 PM (though it doesn't help that many of my co workers move at a snails pace).

- The Union is completely useless. I am capped at 9.70 an hour after 4 years and can make 12 an hour starting pay at a store like Aldi's while not having a Union taking 10 dollars a week from me. The Union can't even get employee's healthcare unless you're a full time employee! (and good luck ever getting that)

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking about how much you care about your employee's and actually show it.

An 'ok' starting point

Front End Cashier (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsGood first job for those in high school, flexible hours, easy work, wonderful co-workers, fun work environment

ConsLow-pay, in-existent benefits, poorly handled asking for time-off when my cousin unexpectedly passed away, no on-going training, filthy, no first aid for employees injured on the job when I was there (private store owner made us buy our own band-aids/disinfectant when we would get cut off of the belts)

Advice to Senior ManagementFor your independently owned stores, please make sure that that the owners are paying their employees adequately and providing benefits. Also, please make sure that their first aid kits are stocked. Employees should not have to buy first aid items from the store when they are hurt on the job!

Work for GE over 25 years

Category Manager (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsIf your young you can climb the ladder.
    Fair compensation.

ConsOnce you start to climb it become very stressful /painful and you are always looking over your shoulder to see who is going to stab you back to get your position.The early days you was taken care of what I mean is by that if you was loyal you never had to worry about having a job but once you hit 50 years old they want nothing to do with you unless you made it to VP.
     They have no feelings for your loyalty .

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-think what you did over the past 5 years and how you destroy over 2000 families lifes that work for Giant Eagle more than 1/2 of their life.By letting them go and replacing them with younger kids.Try to find a new job at the age of 50!!!!

Worked for Giant Eagle? Contribute to the Community!