Girl Scouts USA

Updated 11 December 2014
2.9

Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez
Anna Maria Chávez

Pros
  • You get a chance to be a contributor and feel like you are making a difference (in 11 reviews)

• The work-life balance is unlike anything I have ever seen before (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management exhibits a double standard that contradicts the goals of the organization (in 16 reviews)

• Exceptionally disorganized- even for a non-profit (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive mission, Toxic Work Environment (Southern Arizona Council)

Former Employee - Girl Scout Membership Specialist
    Former Employee - Girl Scout Membership Specialist

I worked at Girl Scouts USA part-time

Pros

The actual work was great- I was really passionate about inspiring girls and young women to be confident leaders. 100% support the mission of Girl Scouting and I thought I wanted to stay with them for a long time.

Cons

The work environment was toxic. The vast majority of employees were women and there was a 'Queen Bee' mentality to my direct supervisor (who is no longer there). We spent a lot of time talking about how to stop the gossip culture within the organization, but that wasn't carried through to the top. They also tended to fire employees, rather than taking the time to develop them, which created a culture of fear among everyone.

Honestly, I think they need all new management. Too many people who have been promoted up through the ranks, not enough new blood to really change the culture.

Very Kind Staff

Current Employee - Web Designer/Web Developer in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Web Designer/Web Developer in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great group of employees, excellent supervisor

Cons

No room for permanent positions. Manager of IT is an excellent boss, extremely professional, Unfortunately No warning on time frame of completion of project was given.

Keep open communication with employees.

In School Scouting

Former Employee - In School Scouting Leader in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - In School Scouting Leader in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work with inner city schools

Cons

Classes can be cancelled last minute from school

none

Mixed experience; some amazing experiences and some really awful experiences

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Really great leadership development program for girls and for women volunteers. Other pros; some really smart, committed people; flexible work schedules in some departments; opportunities to work on interesting projects.

Cons

Challenges included: disconnect between what senior leadership said and their behaviors; inconsistent application of policies; very little focus on professional development

Walk your talk - if you really want to change the culture.

Wonderful place to work

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Very team oriented and girl focused work.
    Great work / life balance

Cons

Money and benefits were not great

Kentuckiana Council has Resistance to change

Former Employee - Donor Relations Specialist in Louisville, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Donor Relations Specialist in Louisville, KY (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This review is for the Kentuckiana Council. Working with young women and seeing their enthusiasm. Giving back to community. Beautiful office space in Louisville, Kentucky. Wonderful campsites.

Cons

This review is for the Kentuckiana Council. So many employees had low morale, especially the long-timers who were resistant to GSUSA changes in programming, specifically the launch of pathways. The low morale infected new employees. The volunteers have too much power over senior management. Extremely high turnover.

This review is for the Kentuckiana Council. Don't expect employees to stay just for their love of the mission. Treat them well, pay them competitively, and try to boost morale.

Management does not follow the Girl Scout code

Current Employee - Program Facilitator in Madison, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Program Facilitator in Madison, WI (US)

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good time off package
    Mainly female workforce
    Good mission: to build girls of courage, confidence & character who make the world a better place

Cons

Management will often say one thing & do another. Very little support & communication.
    Seems like a female "old boys club". Turnover is horrendous - at 1 year, I am considered a senior employee. When I brought this up to my supervisor, I was told that they planned for lower level employees to only stay for 2 years or less.
    Pay is very, very low. Especially considering the amount of work put in by employees.
    Workplace is less than professional. Supervisors manage worker time as if you are a fast food employee. I was written up to HR for being 2 minutes late on one day.

Practice what you preach.

Lost focus

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Time off policy is liberal, when you can take it.

Cons

Time off policy is liberal, when you can take it.

Great Summer Job for College Students

Former Employee - Camp Counselor
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was a camp counselor at a Girl Scout Camp for 3 summers and loved almost every minute of it. IT challenges you in every way possible-mentally, physically, and emotionally. I have never grown more as a person than I have in this job. It taught me many interpersonal skills, specifically how to handle work and personal relationship overlap (being the supervisor of best friends, general challenges from working AND living with the same people, etc.) and also how to handle persistent parents. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a career with high interpersonal work, as it will hardly ever be more challenging or rewarding than at camp.

Cons

Your experience depends highly upon how the camp you work at is run. I worked at a very well organized camp with a universally loved camp director and was fortunate to get placed with mostly great coworkers. If your camp is not run as well or is under new management, it could be more challenging or more difficult to deal with.

A fair and positive place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The supervisors, officers, managers, are all very loyal and strive to treat their employees as best as possible, They back you up and stand behind you, and do what they can to support work/life balance... so long as you're not a bad employee. As long as you pull your weight and do well, they'll support you well.

Cons

Even though there's a culture of supporting the staff among the managers and chief officers, the general culture is still very traditional, hierarchical, and conservative. Set work times (generally), regular employee reviews with quantified rankings, heavy focus on numbers. Not very "results only work environment."

While the 35/hours a week and ample PTO and as best of health insurance as can be afforded is top-notch, and that alone makes GSMH stand out, more ROWE-based culture at the foundation would really help morale.

Girl Scouts USA Photos