Girl Scouts USA

Updated 19 October 2014
2.9

Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez
Anna Maria Chávez

Pros
  • You get a chance to be a contributor and feel like you are making a difference (in 11 reviews)

• The work-life balance is unlike anything I have ever seen before (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management exhibits a double standard that contradicts the goals of the organization (in 15 reviews)

• Exceptionally disorganized- even for a non-profit (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive mission, Toxic Work Environment (Southern Arizona Council)

Former Employee - Girl Scout Membership Specialist
    Former Employee - Girl Scout Membership Specialist

I worked at Girl Scouts USA part-time

Pros

The actual work was great- I was really passionate about inspiring girls and young women to be confident leaders. 100% support the mission of Girl Scouting and I thought I wanted to stay with them for a long time.

Cons

The work environment was toxic. The vast majority of employees were women and there was a 'Queen Bee' mentality to my direct supervisor (who is no longer there). We spent a lot of time talking about how to stop the gossip culture within the organization, but that wasn't carried through to the top. They also tended to fire employees, rather than taking the time to develop them, which created a culture of fear among everyone.

Honestly, I think they need all new management. Too many people who have been promoted up through the ranks, not enough new blood to really change the culture.

Great Summer Job for College Students

Former Employee - Camp Counselor
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was a camp counselor at a Girl Scout Camp for 3 summers and loved almost every minute of it. IT challenges you in every way possible-mentally, physically, and emotionally. I have never grown more as a person than I have in this job. It taught me many interpersonal skills, specifically how to handle work and personal relationship overlap (being the supervisor of best friends, general challenges from working AND living with the same people, etc.) and also how to handle persistent parents. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a career with high interpersonal work, as it will hardly ever be more challenging or rewarding than at camp.

Cons

Your experience depends highly upon how the camp you work at is run. I worked at a very well organized camp with a universally loved camp director and was fortunate to get placed with mostly great coworkers. If your camp is not run as well or is under new management, it could be more challenging or more difficult to deal with.

A fair and positive place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The supervisors, officers, managers, are all very loyal and strive to treat their employees as best as possible, They back you up and stand behind you, and do what they can to support work/life balance... so long as you're not a bad employee. As long as you pull your weight and do well, they'll support you well.

Cons

Even though there's a culture of supporting the staff among the managers and chief officers, the general culture is still very traditional, hierarchical, and conservative. Set work times (generally), regular employee reviews with quantified rankings, heavy focus on numbers. Not very "results only work environment."

While the 35/hours a week and ample PTO and as best of health insurance as can be afforded is top-notch, and that alone makes GSMH stand out, more ROWE-based culture at the foundation would really help morale.

Excellent

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

Rewarding experience working with girls and being a mentor to others.

Cons

Too much paperwork involved and training is not enough.

Helps the girls, but not the employees

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A culture of female empowerment and making the world a better place. Lots of energetic, friendly people doing their best. Always fun to meet the girls and the volunteers. I love that Girl Scouts includes ANYone who identifies as a girl, and they really promote diversity.

Cons

Exceptionally disorganized- even for a non-profit. Very top heavy, with lots of "managers" and "directors" who really just ended up making everything more complicated and difficult than necessary. Everything hinges on cookie sales, which is not a great plan. Salaries are terribly low.

Cut out a lot of the middle/upper management that just creates a lot of layers but doesn't actually do anything with the girls or volunteers. Find other sources of income. More training for employees. The salaries are not at all competitive.

Exciting work, difficult upper management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A mission I could support 100%, and that made me feel good every day. Working with the girls from time to time was incredibly satisfying. The team I was a part of produced great work, on time, on a shoestring. The amount of PTO was phenomenal. Generally the friendliest people I've ever worked with.

Cons

Upper management seemed to say the right things, but do other things, that weren't productive. The learning curve in Girl Scout Land is rather steep, and too often, good people would get frustrated with how long it took to do things, and so leave. There was also very little career growth available, so if someone was a good employee, but maybe not a good fit in their current job, there wasn't much that could be done to rectify that. Too many managers in general. Not enough knowledgeable, experienced, professionals; unfortunately, lots of nice ppl, but lot of 'em were kinda dead wood.

Make people accountable, for real, and not just say that you are. (That was my biggest beef. Some people seemed to get away with subpar/non-productive work too often; it's ok to learn from failures, but they must be called failures in order to be learning moments. Work on career development opportunities, so good people, who are committed to the mission, are able to stay.

Great mission, horrible execution.

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I got to work with the girls and the leaders. I truly felt like I was making a difference in their lives.

Cons

Every few months there was a new theme and reorganization. Truly felt like a game of corporate survivor.

Overall great place to work.

Current Employee - Program Specialist
    Current Employee - Program Specialist

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great, friendly co-workers and managers who are willing to help you with anything. It's a great place to be creative and see how your work directly impacts the girls. It is very rewarding to see an event you developed run successfully.

Cons

There's lack of communication between departments, which can be very frustrating. Also, the expectation to leave certain properties in perfect condition, yet host events that involve painting and baking.

In need of revamping their program

Former Employee - Troop Leader in Bakersfield, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Troop Leader in Bakersfield, CA (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This program teaches girls how to work together as a group and also to become confident women.

Cons

Upper Management is not very helpful. You get conned into starting a troop and then you're left trying to figure everything out.

Management needs to stop thinking about themselves and help the troops.

a lot of good people trying to do too much

I worked at Girl Scouts USA (more than 3 years)

Pros

"cause driven" people who are fun to work with

Cons

too broad a scope "all girls everywhere"

Girl Scouts USA Photos