Girl Scouts USA

Girl Scouts USA Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez

Anna Maria Chávez

Pros
  • You get a chance to be a contributor and feel like you are making a difference(in 10 reviews)

• Great mission, some fabulous people, great learning opportunity(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It's non-profit pay, so there's that(in 12 reviews)

• Upper management exhibits a double standard that contradicts the goals of the organization(in 11 reviews)

Positive mission, Toxic Work Environment (Southern Arizona Council)

Girl Scout Membership Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsThe actual work was great- I was really passionate about inspiring girls and young women to be confident leaders. 100% support the mission of Girl Scouting and I thought I wanted to stay with them for a long time.

ConsThe work environment was toxic. The vast majority of employees were women and there was a 'Queen Bee' mentality to my direct supervisor (who is no longer there). We spent a lot of time talking about how to stop the gossip culture within the organization, but that wasn't carried through to the top. They also tended to fire employees, rather than taking the time to develop them, which created a culture of fear among everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, I think they need all new management. Too many people who have been promoted up through the ranks, not enough new blood to really change the culture.

Volunteer leader

ProsGreat organization that focuses on girl power

ConsRun by folks that haven't been in the business world

Membership and Community Development Specialist

Membership Specialist (Current Employee) Gulfport, MS (US)

ProsEnjoy the girls and volunteers.

ConsInconsistency at all levels, often stressed because timelines consistently changed by management, less than satisfactory levels of communication. Volunteers also do not take into consideration that you have a family too; my family often is put second due to Girl Scout or Service unit events.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the work / life balance of the staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience, terrible leadership

Outreach Co-Leader (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS (US)

Prospaid well, fun job, flexible hours

Conscompany values and lessons are outdated, TERRIBLE leadership, bosses should require more education

Advice to Senior Managementneed to go through and remodel lessons for changing times

Positive mission and work environment

Manager (Current Employee) Macedonia, OH (US)

ProsCo workers are good people with a passion for the mission.

ConsHigh turnover
    Not much room for advancement

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Development Associate

Development Specialist (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsCompetitive salary and benefits for a non-profit.

ConsThe organization is in great transition. This can be stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to improve communication between departments.

Great goals and mission, but leadership was lacking

Events Specialist (Former Employee)

Pros-Great goals and mission for future female generations
    -Your birthday is always a holiday, so you get it off.

Cons-They will try to find ways to keep you at 40 hours (if hourly) by not including travel time, and not including work lunches/dinner as time on the clock, etc.
    -High turnover rate, which causes ambivalent attitude towards new workers
    -Management holds themselves to a different standard than employees, you must go above and beyond while they promise things they won't fulfill

Advice to Senior ManagementEncompass and perpetuate the values of the organization. If you want to build girls of courage, confidence and character be adults of courage, confidence and character.

Girl Scouts is going in the wrong direction.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsMost co-workers & volunteers were great. Made some life long friends. Vacation time was better than average.

ConsLow pay. No raises for the last 3 years. No room for advancement. Upper management needs to be removed, all of them, and start over. Way too much favoritism. Letting go of great staff at the "bottom" instead of looking at the top.

The image for this organization is going down hill. GSUSA forcing the mergers was the beginning of the downfall. Taking 7 councils and merging them into 1 ruined former successes.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember who is on the front line with the volunteers. Recognize these people. You are nothing without them. Put your egos aside. Get out of your offices and get down in the trenches and really see what the "little people" do. Then take a look in the mirror and reflect on yourself.

Girl Scouts USA (2006) Internship to Permanent Employment

Recruitment, Marketing & Communications Director (Former Employee) Modesto, CA (US)

ProsFriendly atmosphere, family-like work environment, room for upward movement, training courses provided at no cost & definite learning experience provided for those who are eager to move up the corporate non-profit ladder. It was a great place to work that allowed me to obtain a wealth of information & wear multiple hats - gaining above average experience for the length of time i was employed. Awesome benefits & flexibility. A lot of opportunity to get involved on a volunteer level. Solid mission & values.

ConsWorking at a non-profit sometimes doesn't allow you the room to put into play programs or ideas/creativity you would like to due to budgetary constraints.

Great company influencing the growth of girls. Leadership exhibits unstable management style.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsOrganization has a history of longevity in employee service and a dedicated staff who supports the mission and puts in the extra effort to get the job done.

ConsUpper management exhibits a double standard that contradicts the goals of the organization. Keys employees lacks the initiative the take responsibilty for their job responsibilities, while others will claim to have no knowledge of a job function, yet will not release the responsibilities to anyone else. Benefit package requires vast improvement to attract and retain qualified professionals.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should consider taking a hands on approach to understand direct job functions, allow creativity and enhance benefit package.

Worked for Girl Scouts USA? Contribute to the Community!