Girl Scouts USA

Girl Scouts USA Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez

Anna Maria Chávez

Pros:
  • "You get a chance to be a contributor and feel like you are making a difference"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Helping girls make the world a better place"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Management is evolving away from a non-profit service ethos and toward a corporate ethos"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Don't plan on complaining to upper management about a"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Organization pursuing building girls into leaders

Membership Specialist (Current Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time for more than a year

ProsDo not micromanage, great coworkers

ConsTerrible follow through for employees, volunteers and girls

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be better communication and consistency.

Girl Scouts of Northern Illinois

Chief Financial Officer (Current Employee)
Elgin, IL (US)

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGSNI provides a chance for motivated employees to contribute to engaging plans of work.

ConsChallenging future of lower membership and declining public support.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build capacity around girl led projects and away from property holdings.

Great summer job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

ProsAwesome rewarding experience and great leadership

ConsThere are none that I can think of

A Decent pay for amount of work

Maintenance (Former Employee)
Spicer, MN (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA part-time for less than a year

Prosyou're always working outside, mowing, weed whiping, cleaning up brush

Consyou're the only employee incharge of keeping the grounds clean

I had a great experience during my internship at Girl Scouts on Staten Island.

Hispanic Outreach Intern (Former Employee)
Staten Island, NY (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA as an intern for less than a year

ProsEveryone was super friendly and helpful
The work was fun and engaging
I got to meet a lot of people in the community and attend a lot of community events
They really care about the difference they are making in girls' lives
Flexible schedule (changed depending on events we had to attend, and my school schedule)

ConsNo true cons
I only worked here for a short time, but I thought it was a great place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should offer more internships to college students, it would be a great advantage to both sides.

Amazing Place to Work

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA as a contractor for more than a year

ProsHigh Morale, Very Helpful atmosphere, Senior Executives easy to get along with and very receptive to ideas.

ConsThere is a very high turnover rate of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis was truly an amazing company to work for.

Wonderful, supportive, mission-driven organization

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA

ProsThe culture at Girl Scouts, Arizona Cactus-Pine, is wonderfully supportive with a consistent, passionate vision provided by the CEO. The quality of employees and co-workers is excellent, with dedicated, talented people filling the organization. There is also a high level of management commitment to personal and professional development of employees at every level.

ConsThe expectation is that each employee be focused and committed to the organization and the mission and do what it takes to complete the task at hand. This results in a high level of energy and time required. Luckily, almost everyone is high-energy and as passionate as the CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! It's a great, exciting environment!

Courage, Confidence, and Character - but only for the girls

Membership Specialist At Local Council (Former Employee)
Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe girls are truely transformed from their Girl Scout experience. It's amazing to be a part of that as a staff member. Also, the workerbee staff are such amazing women. I've made life long friends with my office mates.

ConsAs a former membership specialist, the writing was on the wall shortly after realignment. There was a push from the top that girls be recruited no matter the cost. Volunteers where short changed, programming wasn't up to the task of supporting girls without troops and time marched on.

Bring us to today and now all the girl scouts that were recruited through one time events at the expense of volunteer recruitment has hit the wall. Now membership is in steep decline across the state and key volunteers stopped volunteering because the experience wasn't fun anymore because of all the additional bureaucracy.

My team was ripped apart and individual goals became more important than team goals resulting in bad culture in the office. Everyone felt overwork and executive staff just didn't care. Feedback from staff was discouraged and openly hostile to staff with "courage, confidence, and character". They wanted staff to be compliant and just do as they were told. I have never worked in such a hostile environment.

The worst part is that staff feel like they can't say anything ever to improve the working situation because it may hurt girl membership. Well....girl membership is hurting anyways.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time for a new CEO and a back to basics approach. Believe in your staff and believe in girl scout volunteers. Stop actually like a bureaucracy and allow staff and volunteers the ability to do what they do best, engage girls in the greatest girl organization in the country. It breaks my heart to look at the membership numbers and thinking about all the missed opportunities for the girls.

You keep losing amazing staff (which always is followed by a drop in membership) because of extremely stressful and unhappy working conditions.

Great

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

ProsIt's non-profit. Great benefits. Great mission.

ConsIt's non-profit pay, so there's that.

Management is poor. Bare minimum is done just to get by & leaves lower employees looking bad.

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA

ProsGood benefits and time off. The new CEO has great vision and work ethics but it will take a few years to turn this ship around.

ConsNo room for growth. Low pay. Majority of management is new with no experience. While the CEO has great vision it has failed to trickle down to all employees because the middle management doesn't pass the info along. Internal communication is awful!

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome familiar with the organizations policies. Listen and trust your employees. Know your employees backgrounds: past employment, education etc. Executive level: ensure your managers have supervisory experience. Be more hands-on when it comes to your employees.

Worked for Girl Scouts USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Girl Scouts USA reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez. All 148 reviews are posted anonymously by Girl Scouts USA employees.