GoDaddy

GoDaddy Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving

Blake Irving

Pros:
  • "Great Benefits (Although it will take you at least 90 days to get them)"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Still good benefits, though they continue taking more and more away from their employees"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Transitioning from the call center to corporate is extremely difficult to do"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Middle management was worried about their career and not their people"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Exhilarating

Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people are great, execs have passion, nothing but excitement and enthusiasm emanates from within
Having worked in the high-tech industry for 20+ years, only now have I felt empowered

ConsInternal tools a little wonky

Advice to Senior ManagementBreath of fresh air

Interesting place to work

Customer Development Team (Former Employee)

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe starting pay was good for the time , but i believe itr may have been lowered since i worked there. Good benefits. Hiring process may be a bit awkward with multiple tests include a skill and some sort of standardized hiring test, but i understand its fairly easy to pass. Holiday parties are huge and usually a fun time, plenty of vacation and

ConsWhen i was hired I was told it was for tech support and once i was a week in it was clear it was sales based, so just be aware. you will be given enough time to pick up the swing of things but if you really don't want to do sales then any of the entry level positions aren't for you.

requirements and procedures used to constantly change, but with new investors things may have changed

One of the hardest, but most satisfying jobs I ever had.

Manager (Former Employee)
Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI had the ability to affect change on a grand scale and significant opportunity for career advancement. In 2010 the COO was 3 levels above me and KNEW me and the members of my groups. Figuring out how to work with such a huge environment was challenging and I had ample chance to feel accomplished.

ConsPart of GoDaddy's success was that the highest levels took a deep interest in what was happening bellow them. This has it's plusses, but it negatively affected in that every level of my chain of command directly contacted me for information, often the same. Raises were not given with promotions, I received very nice merit increases with review process and one market increase, but still ended my time significantly under salary for my role.

Best place to work while Bob Parsons led the company

Software Development (Former Employee)
Hiawatha, IA (US)

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMy rating went from a 5 to a 2 in the last 3 years. While Bob ran the show, you truly felt valued as a an employee. You felt like you were an important part of delivering value to the highly valued customer. You were also encouraged to come up with new product concepts based on your experience in the marketplace and suggest ways to improve existing products. Team pride in delivering value to customers and having fun were the highest priorities. Every year the company flew-in all who were directly involved with software development for an annual TechFest in Arizona. This was an awesome opportunity to meet people in person whom you only had electronic interactions with. It was also a wonderful learning/collaoboration opportunity. Peers presented exciting new technology and provided resources for future use. There were so many valuable presentations that you could not attend them all. Eventually the presentations were captured via digital video so you could access them from the company intranet site.

ConsOnce KKR started to drive the company more and Bob Parsons faded away to the Board of Directors, uncertainty drove a dog eat dog culture. Directors in different geographic locations became more concerned about building their corner of the company and less concerned about delivering value to the customer. Re-orgs occurred more frequently and some new managers did some pretty shady things to end careers of great people. Some employees were even reprimanded for using their free time to take part in company-sponsored new product idea submission opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-instate Bob's 16 rules, get rid of managers who operate unethically and stop managing by fear.

Good job to fill a temporary void but don't expect to advance or not have to sell your soul

Professional Hosting Services (Current Employee)
Gilbert, AZ (US)

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay! Great Benefits! In recent times they have allowed more wiggle room to advance into different departments as well.

ConsHigh sales expectations. If you do not sale you will get fired. Company put more strict guidelines that make it harder to make a "bonus" and have a person stay on the phone for their whole shift minus a lunch and break. Unless you are a natural born salesperson I wouldn't reccomend this job to you

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is really caring but I believe that the days of saying making a certain sales numbers or get fired are over. Also open more job positions that don't require sales. If people seen that there was a future with GoDaddy they might not quit or get discouraged showing up to a futureless job.

Intense atmosphere

Inbound Sales and Support (Former Employee)

I worked at GoDaddy full-time

ProsThe company does a great job of offering lots of prizes and incentives.

ConsI felt like I was working in the cube farm.

Most of the old regime has been eradicated.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible schedule with management approval.

ConsThe remnants of the old regime are still around, if not in word, in the back of some of the older management minds. Upper management is inconsistent for handling similar situations. Wait and see attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the same page, and follow through alike. Once direction is set, don't shift focus for perceived higher impact projects.

Best job I've had yet despite some recent frustrations. Overall a good company to work for.

Software Development (Current Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company culture
Quarterly employee appreciation activities
Benefits
Great people to work with
Company seems to really care about customers
Christmas parties are EPIC!

ConsIn the process of closing my office
Making us recompete for our jobs if we're willing to relocate

Advice to Senior ManagementLet stock options vest for employees in the Denver office that is being closed! We have earned them through long hard hours of work, late nights, and weekends. Timing the closure before the first of our options vest that we received for the first time after a long wait last year is just COLD!

Outbound calls on Xmas

Outbound Sales (Former Employee)
Gilbert, AZ (US)

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for less than a year

ProsPeople and lunch, people and lunch

ConsMakes you sell people on Xmas day and expect sales on those type days

Advice to Senior ManagementReally?

Changing Fast

Database Developer (Current Employee)
Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWe're the best at what we do, by a long stretch.

We do "impossible things" all the time.

We are going to change the world economy to be more favorable for small business success.

The internal integrity of the company is very high. I have never seen any accusation of wrongdoing against GoDaddy that agrees with the way we run our part of the company, and have seen us make decisions to do many things for no more reason than "that's the right thing to do."

ConsGD has always been a good place to work. Lately, there has been a big shift toward turning our infrastructure into a Microsoft / Yahoo clone. The only problem is that means we are pulling in people from default tech places like Silicon Valley and Seattle who don't really know about being a registrar or hosting company. We are losing our distinctiveness as the highly-empowered newbies make us look like the companies they left.

Also, people are quick to criticize GD from the outside. However, the things they say are almost always completely unfounded. I just skimmed our Wiki article, and so much of the negative info in that article is false. But you have to have a little bit of a thick skin to be this far ahead of your competition - someone is bound to complain.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome people have given a good portion of their lives to building this company. Please do not give their equity to your highly-empowered newbies.

Worked for GoDaddy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GoDaddy reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving. All 208 reviews are posted anonymously by GoDaddy employees.