Gold Buyers at the Mall

2.4

Danny Baruch

I miss you guys!!

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This career was great! Miss you all!

Cons

They went out of business!!

come back!!

An "okay" first Sales job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Springfield, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, OH (US)

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, quality store managers, fantastic starting job in sales without a degree.

Cons

Hourly pay is minimum, and managers only get paid slightly more. Commission structure is a joke, and even top sales will not generate more than 20% added revenue.
    Layoffs when spot price of gold diminishes, constantly changing markets.
    Minimal benefits, No Vacation offered, Minimal internal growth.

Flyers are not an efficient conversation starter. Regional managers are too hands on, Store managers should affect sales reps more.

Very hectic and unrealistic expectations

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall full-time for less than a year

Pros

Never a dull moment, worked with some great people both in the field and at the corporate office

Cons

Very "fly by the seat of your pants" mentality. Majority owner is very inexperienced in running a business and makes whimsical decisions not entirely based on facts but more based on emotion and looking at very limited data. Many of the managers I met, both district managers and upper-level managers, managed through fear and through bullying.

Keep the majority owner out of the decision making process as much as possible if you want to turn it around and succeed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was ok but could have been better

Current Employee - Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Gold Buyers at the Mall full-time for less than a year

Pros

worked in the mall so you got discounts to alot of places, met very interesting people and alot of tourists

Cons

not enough money for standing on your feet all day, commission was terrible, very micro-managed

Unrealistic

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Huntsville, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Huntsville, AL (US)

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had a chance to travel with the company, and as a GM really made some things happen.

Cons

They expect way to much for current market conditions.

Start looking at what your employees are doing for your company, NOT what the numbers are saying.

Gold Buyers At The Mall is a Great company to work for

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Gold Buyers at the Mall full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to offer people money for broken gold jewelry they will never use again. I've helped several people pay rent, gas money, extra cash for shopping and just the overall interaction with people gets them to smile when you make their day because they are shocked how we pay the most in the local area i work at. As a manager i get to work full time 40hrs a week and have a couple or Part Timers to help out.

Cons

As long as work hard you have a solid job and paycheck otherwise won't last to long here.

Keep up the Contest and the "Original Black bags" are back they are the best. I think several of us missed them for a while keep this up and i promise our numbers will continue to rise. Thanks Danny for running a fun company to work for.

Great Idea, Poor Execution - Won't Be Around Much Longer

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Gold Buyers at the Mall full-time for more than a year

Pros

It can be a fun job if you like the mall setting --especially if you get a storefront vs a kiosk to run. As a manager you'll get opportunity to win some extra cash with daily contests and you can usually hire a decent staff --may take some trial and error due to the large turn over rate of the part-timers, but eventually you'll find a couple people to click.

Cons

You will get little to no support from senior management --especially in larger districts where the District Manager is constantly running from store to store. The only advertising available is in flyer form, which the company blindly thinks is the answer to all your problems: don't have enough people coming in with buys? Flyer more! Doesn't always work since the malls really tend to be dead during the weekdays, and only really pick up Fri-Sun.

The company also doesn't offer direct deposit, as they cannot keep a large enough cash balance on hand to cover such a service. Instead employees get their paychecks on the weekend, and get to wait two days for the balance to show in their accounts after deposit.

The biggest con however has to do with the way this company is run. At one point, corporate bragged at having over 200 locations across the country - now the number is around half that amount. This is a business that doesn't forgive growing pains very easily. If a store has a good year, and a good profit margin, it's expected goals will go up the next year. Those goals will steadily go up until they reach a point that the store cannot meet those goals. Also, if a store with a proven track record starts failing due to poor management, common sense would dictate that you replace that manager with a better one and let them turn the location around. Unfortunately, the company (or I should say, the president) has no patience with these kinds of business basics. Even if the location in question is beginning to recover, it will most likely be shut down under the new manager due to the actions of the previous one.

This is a young company run by a young, inexperienced president who doesn't seem to understand basic business principles, or the concepts of growth and investment - and it shows. A basic Google search can pull up any number of lawsuits in regards to the company's business practices and labor violations. I predict that this company will continue to fail as the economy starts to recover. At this point most pawn shops and coin dealers can already beat their prices, and Gold Buyers doesn't have second-hand sales to fall back on when people stop bringing their gold to them.

One of the company's many mantras is "Lead from the front" --basically stating that it's management's responsibility to lead & inspire the workers into performing better. Well, how about actually doing just that folks? So far what I've learned from this company's "leadership" is that they only care about how much money the handful of the people at the top can make at the expense of those that work for them. Their full-time workers barely make a living wage and have little to no benefits with no job security. Maybe if their president had some real-world job experience when it comes to actually managing people, there wouldn't be such a high turnover rate at the managerial level. Basic economics & people skills would go a long way here.

Very Good Learning Experience About the Gold/ Jewelry Industry

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Babylon, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Babylon, NY (US)

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Friendly Staff- Where I worked

- Mall environment based (Lunch was a short walk away)

-Treated in a professional manner. Duties included many managerial tasks, good communication between managers and staff

- Very Educational/ Sparked my interest in a career in Precious Metals

Cons

- Hourly Pay vs Company Profits

- Commission structure not very appealing

- You do work in a mall

Very Unbusiness Like People Running This Company

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Monaca, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Team Member in Monaca, PA (US)

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall part-time for less than a year

Pros

You will almost certainly get hired if you apply! They are very desperate for people and have a huge turnover. If you are looking for a title jump you may get it here. I was with the company for three days and offered two different store manager positions.

Cons

In my store you are treated like a child. I personally have been in retail management for over 10 years now and did not appreciate this. There is very little that is organized, there are almost no procedures. You kind of fly by the seat of your pants and guess at what your doing half the time. The training is almost laughable. My "manager" seemed to make up the rules as she went along. My workplace was also very disorganized, no filing system, papers everywhere. Kind of makes you wonder when we are making copies of peoples licenses and collecting personal information. I would guess if they got audited they would not pass. I was also told by my manager that we are there to please the company, they are not there to please us. Believe me when I tell you that is true. They make no effort at all to better accomodate employees. If you like an well organized workplace this is not for you.

This is a pathetic ,greedy company.

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Vero Beach, FL (US)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Vero Beach, FL (US)

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall full-time for more than a year

Pros

It doesn't rain in the mall.You meet a lot of friendly people.It's a paycheck,if you can get a full one.

Cons

Almost every employee owes the company money,due to their pathetic bad buy policy,in which they
    don't have to prove that it was a bad buy.Even though you pay for it,they don't give you the item so
    you might be able to recoup your money,just like they did.You have to stand for many hours,and give out bags to every person who walks by.They run out of money regularly,and charge customers
    a fee to collect their money.Stay away,unless you are really desperate!

Stop your lying and your phoney contests,where there's no money,only bragging rights

Worked for Gold Buyers at the Mall? Contribute to the Community!