Goodyear

Goodyear Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Goodyear Chairman, President, and CEO Richard J. (Rich) Kramer

Richard J. (Rich) Kramer

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits along with seemingly unlimited overtime if wanted(in 15 reviews)

• They treat you good, wages are good, good benefits(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not a priority to managment(in 9 reviews)

• Very long hours, plus have to work on some weekends(in 12 reviews)

Great Company very good place to work.

General Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) Union City, TN (US)

ProsThey treat you good, wages are good, good benefits. Goodyear is a good company to work for. The best place I ever worked.

ConsClosed plant for what ever reason and moved out of the country because of what ever reason. Would still be there if they hadn't of moved

Advice to Senior ManagementAmerican made means alot!

A grind.

Production Support (Former Employee) Napanee, ON (Canada)

Pros14 days work per month at full time

Consproduction over safety. Low personal growth and compensation.

Bungling a multi-million dollar business!

Machine Operator (Former Employee) Union City, TN (US)

ProsThere is a wonderful history of knowledge and experience

ConsAt our facility failure to recognize and follow through with root cause problems and management that didn't work as a team but more as individuals out for personal glory! No balance in direction, work was often done by those who would and many man hours were wasted.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

long term company to advance

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Akron, OH (US)

Prosvacation days and spiffs earned

Consretail hours and holiday work hours

Advice to Senior Managementmore availabiltiy for promos are needed

Overall Good Place to Work

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Akron, OH (US)

ProsThe pay is pretty good. No bonuses for people that aren't managers. New building is really cool. Lots of job opportunities throughout the company.

ConsOpportunities are not in Engineering. Work lots of hours, it seems that if you work an 8-9 hour day and leave you are often called a "part-timer".

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are LOTS of good jobs (managers, directors, VPs, etc) throughout the company. But, 90% of these are outside Engineering. Engineers have little room for upward movement, but alot within Engineering Groups.

I enjoyed my job at Goodyear and the supervisors in my department were a pleasure to work with everyday.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWell you had to we'd irk as a team to get the job completed. We also had days that we were allowed to celebrate the holidays and birthdays in the department. Of course the job had to be completed first and foremost. We all worked together in tubers at Goodyear.

ConsThere was an absenteeism problem that made it hard on everyone that reported to work everyday. Some days we had to work shorthanded which caused a lot of down time on the line.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have an associate or associates that reports to work when scheduled and gives their all; please take a few minutes to tell that person how much you appreciate them because it means a lot.

Overall good company and great working environment

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- great culture
    - everyone likes to get to know everyone in the office (Canadian Office)
    - great salary package and compensation, Defined Benefit retirement plan, not too many companys doing that anymore
    - many opportunities to grow, if willing to move to Akron, Ohio, not too many or at all in Canadian office

Cons- Company has been doing well since 2008 downturn, but continues to have layoffs as a cost cutting measure

Advice to Senior Management- because of the numerous opportunities to grow, theres alot of people changing jobs within the company in Akron. Transition between people needs to be better, doesnt seem like person changing moving out of the position trains the person coming in very well enough to ensure a smooth transition

Excellent company

Engineer (Former Employee) Akron, OH (US)

ProsManagers rated and promoted employees based on ability.

ConsNeed to relocate in order to progress

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to value employees

For the most part good although a lot

Store Manager (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsBenefits were decent although not as good as now as they were

Conslong hours and upper management does not seem to care about store associates seems to think they are easily replaced

Very Old School, In Your Face, Disrespectful Plant Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Danville, VA (US)

ProsGreat organizational structure. The business centers are staffed like small, independent plants. Good benefits and pay structure. Good training at all levels.

ConsPlant manager who yells and screams at his staff in meetings, throws and kicks things, and then expects his staff to be motivated enough to take the hill for him. This is the upper management culture at Goodyear in manufacturing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet involved in some serious culture change at the Plant Manager level. The old school aproach of Win-Lose outcomes eventually lead to Lose-Lose. I know of many good leaders who have left the company because of the leadership at the Plant Manager level.

Worked for Goodyear? Contribute to the Community!