Google

4.2 2,314 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,233 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development(in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro(in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging(in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape(in 71 reviews)

2,314 Employee Reviews

Google

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsColleagues, challenges, business prospects, collaboration and innovation are great at Google.
    The perks and work environment are great too.

ConsIn certain areas, Google is getting slower and slower, political, process-heavy and quite hierarchical.
    Nothing compared to most companies, but not as fast as you'd wish.
    As a result, career progression can be slow.

Fun, work with the best people and the best technology

Business Associate (Former Employee) London, England

ProsOwnership of projects, great communication with teams across the company, friendly, diverse and fun people. You feel like contributing to shaping tomorrow's world.

ConsYou have to like technology. Networking with other Googlers is key to self-development (which is not exactly a cons..., you just need to know it). Finding good career opportunities is up to you.

Great place to work if you like the kind of work you're doing.

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGood environment, smart people. Lots of perks.

Consorg hierarchy goes through a lot re-structuring. promotions can be very political.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't make the 'boss' solely responsible for an employee's ratings & progress. make calibration fairer.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business Associat Intern

Business Associate (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat benefits and great culture

ConsYou end up spending a lot of time at the office: gym, dinner, games, events...

Working environment is awesome!

Language Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsAllowing pets, taking care of everything in your life (Well, not exactly everything but almost)

ConsFree and flexible working hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupervisor needed.

Inspiring

Recruiter (Former Employee) London, England

ProsThe people. Google hires some of the best talent in the world and as a result of working with such high achievers and high potential people, you find everyone raises their game every day and achieves far more than they thought possible

ConsFor the UK, it is only possible to work in London and while that makes sense for the business, I wouldn't be able to work for them again now I have moved away :-(

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the strong leadership and inspiring ways of working

It's great

Software Engineer (Former Employee) London, England

ProsYou work with very clever people on interesting projects. Everything is set up for you to be incredibly productive. The perks are also ridiculous.

ConsThere are pretty much no cons.

It's a really amazing company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was surrounded by intelligent people, who were always very helpful and supportive. Everyone there knows how to work in a team.

ConsThe interview / hiring process takes a very long time to complete. All the free food makes it hard not to put on weight, it takes a lot of self-control.

Best company I have ever worked for, by far

Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsYour manager is there he is there to support you not to control you.
    When you need something to work better, just ask.
    Plenty of great people to work with.

ConsFree food made me slightly fat and I am too lazy to use the free gym.
    Many great things happen in US, this make it difficult to get involved in them when working outside US. I am still working on great stuff, but have less choice.

Awesome place to work, never want to leave

Technical Account Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat culture, free food, free gym, decent pay, intelligent and fun people. One of the most forward thinking cutting edge companies to work for in terms of the product side of things.

ConsLittle opportunity to gain management experience early on if you have no prior experience as a manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo man re-orgs. Perf process is too subjective. Need to provide more opportunities to train up current staff into management and promote from within rather than hiring external management from other industries who know nothing about the online advertising industry.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!