Google

4.2 2,309 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,230 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development(in 103 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro(in 218 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging(in 98 reviews)

• Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it(in 70 reviews)

2,309 Employee Reviews

Still an awesome employeer and tight-nit community feel

Site Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsMost intelligent coworkers you could ever imagine. Wonderful feeling of camaraderie. Employees are trusted, respected and treated like adults to get on with their work. Very flat management structure means you're not left feeling powerless. Everyone is empowered to make a difference and to be heard. Amazing benefits.

ConsMost intelligent coworkers you could ever imagine can lead to impostor syndrome. You need to be careful to balance your work and personal life, but the drive to sometimes work too hard comes from within when you work at Google; it's not something that's pushed on you by the company or colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe miss Eric.

Crazy benefits, good pay, decent development opportunities.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) London, England

ProsStill tries to maintain that start-up feel. The benefits are ridiculous. Gourmet breakfast, lunch and dinner included. Unrivalled office space with on site gym, relaxation rooms, massage rooms.
    The pay is good for the hours and the work done.
    There are many opportunities to learn new skills.

ConsMost engineers are not that young. So culture can be lacking compared to actual startups. Work can sometimes feel over engineered.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more. Often teams are quite isolated and tend to repeat work that other teams are doing or have already done. This lack of communication kills enthusiasm for a project.

Overall a great place to work

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGood money, smart people, free food

ConsDeath by Powerpoint, somewhat slow moving. As the company has been on a crest of a wave it feels sometimes that there is not really much point to the work. The best things about the company are also the worst things about it, in that there is a lot of waste of time and money.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Program Manager

Program Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGoogle remains an outstanding employer

ConsVery competitive - can be hard for career progression
    Engineering outside the US can be challenging

Alright Alright Alright Alright

Account Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsMoney Funds Salary People Effort

ConsBureaucracy Government Like Innovation Shrinking

Advice to Senior ManagementSell Stock Soon

Great if you're an engineer, not so great if you're in UX or not in Mountain View

User Experience Designer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsLots of freedom, cool projects and great colleagues. You have to find the right project though, where the team does appreciate UX as that's not always the case. Manage that and you'll have a blast. Also great benefits (good pension, medical insurance plus things like gym membership, and of course free food) and a very decent salary.

ConsGoogle doesn't really seem to understand UX. Design decisions are often made by committee and based on technology or what the VP likes. The UX designer then gets the job of painting the pixels. There's also little understanding of the different roles within UX (visual designer, interaction designer, researcher). I find the work very simple and repetitive do miss the more interesting bits of UX design (conceptual, strategical work)

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

The best company I've ever worked for!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsChallenging work environment, you get to learn a lot, especially in the beginning, huge scale of the projects, incredibly smart people, cool office space, perks (stock option and bonuses) and (healthy and yummy!) food. Variety of domains and products, you can always find something for yourself if you decide to change the project.

ConsDifficult to get a promotion (you may get frustrated after a while), often have to work late, working from home is rarely an option, not so many career opportunities outside Mountain View, the most interesting projects are focused there.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward long term and experienced employees.

A rollercoaster ride of a company that's starting to grow up and act more like a mature corporation

Product Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsYou get to meet an amazing network of great people; people are loyal and hard working; make lots of great new friends; work with super smart people

ConsTurning into a larger, more mature organisation; some less important or smaller projects are often cancelled; harder to start up new innovative projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementProduct Managers should be allowed to be more hands on with the infrastructure.

Really good job, nice people

Software Engineering Trainee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsIt's a large company and you get to know lots of interesting people. It's was a great experience as an intern because I felt I actually did something during my time there, and I felt I have learnt lots of new things.

ConsIt was really hard to get all approvals to work in UK, and it was a very short internship. I wish I had more time to dive into their projects and their works.

Amazing internship

Web Developer Intern (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat smart helpful people
    Lot of freedom.
    Lots of perks.

ConsOn weekend you suddenly realize that you have to pay for food!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!