Google

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,080 ratings)

2,095 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development"
    in 92 reviews
  • "Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro"
    in 207 reviews
Cons:
  • "This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging"
    in 85 reviews
  • "Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it"
    in 68 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great if you're an engineer, not so great if you're in UX or not in Mountain View

User Experience Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of freedom, cool projects and great colleagues. You have to find the right project though, where the team does appreciate UX as that's not always the case. Manage that and you'll have a blast. Also great benefits (good pension, medical insurance plus things like gym membership, and of course free food) and a very decent salary.

ConsGoogle doesn't really seem to understand UX. Design decisions are often made by committee and based on technology or what the VP likes. The UX designer then gets the job of painting the pixels. There's also little understanding of the different roles within UX (visual designer, interaction designer, researcher). I find the work very simple and repetitive do miss the more interesting bits of UX design (conceptual, strategical work)

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

The best company I've ever worked for!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

ProsChallenging work environment, you get to learn a lot, especially in the beginning, huge scale of the projects, incredibly smart people, cool office space, perks (stock option and bonuses) and (healthy and yummy!) food. Variety of domains and products, you can always find something for yourself if you decide to change the project.

ConsDifficult to get a promotion (you may get frustrated after a while), often have to work late, working from home is rarely an option, not so many career opportunities outside Mountain View, the most interesting projects are focused there.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward long term and experienced employees.

A rollercoaster ride of a company that's starting to grow up and act more like a mature corporation

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou get to meet an amazing network of great people; people are loyal and hard working; make lots of great new friends; work with super smart people

ConsTurning into a larger, more mature organisation; some less important or smaller projects are often cancelled; harder to start up new innovative projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementProduct Managers should be allowed to be more hands on with the infrastructure.

Really good job, nice people

Software Engineering Trainee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt's a large company and you get to know lots of interesting people. It's was a great experience as an intern because I felt I actually did something during my time there, and I felt I have learnt lots of new things.

ConsIt was really hard to get all approvals to work in UK, and it was a very short internship. I wish I had more time to dive into their projects and their works.

Amazing internship

Web Developer Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Google as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat smart helpful people
Lot of freedom.
Lots of perks.

ConsOn weekend you suddenly realize that you have to pay for food!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Awesome

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at Google as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe best, who could argue anything else.

ConsNothing, just don't go to facebook. Oh wait...

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat can I say

Possibly the best large company to work for - but still a large company

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits; great compensation; many intelligent, motivated colleagues; reliable business model; well-known brand; mostly great management; free food; many opportunities to work on world-changing products; able to learn a wide variety of skills and have great experiences that will make you far more valuable elsewhere. Come to learn or to earn.

ConsMostly natural consequences of being in a large company. There's lots of politics, processes and bureaucracy. Different groups manage in different ways - be sure you know and are comfortable with the metrics used in the group you're talking to. If you don't agree with them, you probably won't enjoy being here.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess management by optimising individual functional metrics, more understanding of ecosystems and businesses. Currently, the lack of general managers causes functional managers to build empires and locally optimise at the expense of the overall business. Product managers are not senior enough to lead cross-functionally.

It is great here, perfect work life balance

APMM Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google as an intern for less than a year

ProsFacilities, people, tasks, it all makes you feel special and willing to work there. You can feel the responsibility and create legacy.

Conssometimes it's a lot of work, sometimes food is worse at the canteen. It is really hard to find something which works wrong there

Advice to Senior Managementmore exposure to employees of lowest levels

Great people, but if you want a career, you have to move to Mountain View

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Google full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to work with some of the greatest people in the software industry. It was amazing place to network. Google had an excellent culture that they worked hard to build and I hope they never lose.

ConsGoogle has a hard time delegating responsibility to remote offices. Projects started abroad would consistently be pulled into Mountain View as soon as they showed signs of success. This did not work well for remote employees who were left marginalised and unrewarded for their efforts.

Incredible, though not perfect - what a place.

London, England

I have been working at Google

ProsFree food, open culture, smart people, travel potential, challenging work, career development, company pride, package pretty good, fun times and occasional massages.

Constoo much email, perhaps over competitiveness, invisible middle management (for me), too much hierarchy (in some areas), international offices not prioritised

Advice to Senior Managementkeep great focus on culture and hiring smart people. think about reducing management hierarchy, get top leaders out to offices more.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Google CEO Larry Page . All 2,095 reviews are posted anonymously by Google employees.