Google

3,066 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,692 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 122 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 93 reviews)

More Highlights

Be prepared to be challenged, pushed and work v hard

I worked at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits, travel, food (which is phenomenal), opportunities - placements, working on different projects across the company, being constantly challenged, needing to think - constructively, properly and sometimes really quickly, amazing colleagues who are similarly extremely smart, fast and challenging

Cons

You need to be prepared to work hard - your bonus, standing, salary etc are all predicated on you working hard and continuing to improve. You need to show you are a team player as well as an individual, so be prepared to take on extra work to make the grade. It's a large company, so you have to find ways to stand out. Don't expect much of a home life at times - when you're up against it, it's expected you'll stay there all hours.

Cult of growth

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

Competent and mostly helpful colleagues. Extreme amount of information accessible. Very powerful tools. Huge infrastructure for experimenting. Memegen.

Cons

Cult of growth. Everything is measured, quantified and evaluated in terms of growth and impact. Exponential growth is expected in every single metric: number of projects, number of users, lines of code, impact, whatever. If something stops growing, it usually gets killed. Do you remember Google Reader? It stopped growing. Look out for your own stats, and get transferred quickly if you stop growing at your current place.

Lack of focus. Hyperactive and very disruptive development in most areas, with user experience neglected. It is starting to hit back (as of 2014-2015). Unfortunately, I can't go into details on the consequences of this one, due to confidentiality.

Chaos. There is no stable point, everything changes all the time. All documentation is unfinished and/or outdated. Very few people have the 'big picture' and they don't have time to share it, because they have to chase their own growth. Reorganization is continually happening. People come and go, teams come and go, products come and go. Usually we move 3-4 times a year. Noogler onboarding is often forgotten. There's a story about a noogler haunting the buildings for 2 months before finding out whom he reported to. I'm not sure if that ever happened, but I've seen people wandering around for several days. (Now I have the routine to spot them and help finding their team.)

Long working hours and stress. This is most prevalent in SRE, but many development teams experience it, too.

Cult vocabulary. There are hundreds of words for common things. On top of that, all projects have their internal codenames, and sometimes 3-4 different names refer to the same thing. You can speak whole sentences with words that only googlers understand. Willpower, Ikea, magnet, batman, etc.: those words do not mean what you think they mean.

Location-specific issues. The company is centered around Mountain View, and you are almost certainly required to move there if you become important. Other sites (especially non-US sites) provide significantly less perks and choices.
    Mountain View is extremely crowded, and facilities can't keep up with the growth. Property prices are crazily inflated by googlers, and traffic is bad for the same reason.
    London still has some office space, but it pays much less than other sites, while living costs are the same or higher. The company sets the salaries based purely on industry average, not on living costs. The London benchmark seems to be flawed. You can't afford to rent any decent flat near the office, and commute is awful during peak times.
    Offices are open plan everywhere. Waiting for male toilets is very common at most sites.
    With regards to quality of life, the Zurich site is the most livable in Europe, and maybe New York in the US (until Eric Schmidt applies his stupid crowdedness-makes-you-creative theory).

Allow people to focus on one thing, even if it slows growth down. It results in better quality and less fixing later.

Likes to pretend it isn't just another massive multinational megacorp but it sadly is. Don't believe the hype.

Current Employee - Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free lunches are nice. The offices are well maintained. It impresses recruiters when you want to move on. I'm basically still there for the benefits.

Cons

Google is full of teams that want all the authority and none of the responsibility. I've never seen a place worse for people with really, truly, massive ego problems acting like spoilt children. It is borderline impossible to get things done unless you know the right people and they feel like helping you. There is a culture of over-engineering the simplest task and the attitude that if it's not invented at Google then it's useless. Promotion is only likely if you are on a popular project and can tick very specific boxes and impress a very specific type of engineer.

Stop massaging people's egos. Especially SWEs. Many of them are insufferable. Get rid of the 'that isn't the way we do things round here' attitude.

Interviewed at Google

Current Intern - Software Engineer in London, England
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Google as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Google is the best company in the world and its a pleasure to work there

Cons

I didn't find any cons, I think there are no cons at all

It's no wonder...

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great culture and career opportunities (not to mention THE canteen!)

Cons

Not many... A bit too hierarchical

Wasted opportunity

I worked at Google

Pros

It's google
    fun culture
    great salaries
    great benefits
    It really looks good on your CV
    Some chances of advancement

Cons

nepotism
    too many working hours
    you have to carry the weight of many genius slackers
    company doesn't really help to keep up with current techologies

Best years of my career

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great people, incredible culture

Cons

I can't think of any.

Summer intern working on main campus in MTV

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Google as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome food, great peers, many events for interns

Cons

Large software stack takes some time to learn at the beginning so 3 months is not a lot of time.

SRE experience

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

Good environment, smart management. Lots of perks.

Cons

Too much legacy code, the internal codebase is unhealthy. Salary could be better.

Creative Specialist

Former Contractor - Creative Specialist in London, England
    Former Contractor - Creative Specialist in London, England

I worked at Google as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I never met so many clever people working together.

The environment was fun and welcoming.

Cons

Very "sales" driven environment depending of the department.

It was more corporate than I expected and a lot of time wasted on meetings, etc. etc....