Google

4.2 2,305 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,228 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development(in 103 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro(in 218 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging(in 98 reviews)

• Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it(in 70 reviews)

2,305 Employee Reviews

Overall good

Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsIt is a fun place to work. Everybody is willing to teach you something new.

ConsThe company is a bit overwhelming

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat perks, training and compensation. Management structure can be good at times.

ConsProgression can be arbitrary.

Had the best time of my life.

Software Engineer Intern (Current Employee) London, England

ProsDid an internship as a Software Engineer at the London office and also had the opportunity to visit Mountain View.
    * My team was great, all super talented people from different areas (most of them Ivy-leaguers) - theoretical Physisists, CS folks, hardware specialists and even guys with background in social sciences - all of them software engineers, too.
    * The project was super interesting and meaningful and unlike other companies, Google has very good tutorials/material to get you up to speed in whatever you do.
    * The atmosphere is great. Awesome food and the little micro-kitchens make you feel very comfortable. But it's not only the food, most engineers are very outgoing and fun and the ones who aren't are good at heart.
    * Reputation. Google not only does great software but does what many other large companies fail to do: they conduct research in areas beyond their core business, in areas that are completely new, only to prove everyone wrong and show what can be done. Examples (just to name a few): - Google Fiber - Google Glass - Project Loon - Google driverless car. Personally, I find this super exciting.
    * Benefits. There's so many, even for interns! Don't know where to start. You can spend 20% of your time on a project of your choice. I did a 20% project with another intern, that was really fun.
    * Cool activities. The recruiters did a truly awesome job at organizing weekly fun activities (e.g. we watched "the Internship" before its original release in the cinema, flew to the Zurich office for the "intern summit", just to name a few ). And this in addition to all the other fun stuff happening every day.

Cons* many people think high of themselves; but I guess this is normal in companies that hire the best, luckliy there's most people aren't like this

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring awesome tech people. Maybe raise standards for technical questions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Still one of the best companies to work for

Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat work culture, amazing colleagues, excellent benefits and most importantly, really challenging work

ConsAfter a while, you get too much pigeon-holed in to a specific role; Only x% of the people still do get to work on awesome open source stuff - everyone else works on a gaint, pretty much closed ecosystem, platform and tech stack wise.
    Also, the company is getting too big, a little outside of everyone's comfort zone; almost 0% work-life balance;

Advice to Senior Managementwhile taking on more work looks good on your appraisal, a ton of actually doing it ends up on your team - just be aware of that.

I had a blast

User Experience Designer (Former Employee) London, England

ProsWorking with smart people,
    Get to build cool stuff,
    Free food!

ConsWork-life-inbalance is an issue. I guess they make it so good to stay there, that you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust those who are good at what they do. You've hired them for a reason.

Love it

Business Associate Intern (Current Employee) London, England

ProsCulture, compensation and company. In addition very good conditions

ConsWorking hours and the fact that senior management does not regards interns as added-value tool

Advice to Senior ManagementShould consider the progression of interns

Great people, great mission, great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked at GOOG for 5 years, and best by far was the sense of purpose and mission the whole company has. When people talk about "values", it is usually meaningless, but at Google, people have real discussions about the values the company exhibits and espouses (including the much ballyhooed "don't be evil"). The dialog is incredibly open and any argument for/against a course of action based on those values is immediately respected and seriously considered. People are brilliant, structure and compensation is excellent.

ConsThe benefits entitlement can be chaffing. How many times I have heard people complain about the lines to get free stuff or the lack of "offsites" (fun days when you get paid but don't do any work) in the past 3 months.

Internal politics can be difficult as some are incredibly good operators and some are allergic to politics and pander, so it often feels like an uneven playing feel. In engineering particularly, there are as many allergic managers so the effect is less, but in other functions, you often have to fight your corner.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't compromise integrity for profit by revisiting good decisions and inching them toward bad ones, just keep looking for greenfield innovation and focus on that.

Triple A

Partnerships (Current Employee) London, England

ProsChallenging projects, great staff, good benefits

ConsSlowly growing into a massive, more bureaucratic company

One of the most intense learning experiences of my career

Release Engineer (Former Employee) London, England

ProsLots of very smart and knowledgeable people to feed your mind
    Highly collaborative
    Lots of opportunity for movement and growth — very easy to get involved in projects outside your direct purveyance

ConsIt's hard to have a life separate from work — the entire ecosystem is designed to make it more comfortable and compelling than home!
    Everyone I know who left tries to reinvent various versions of the internal tech they have.

Advice to Senior ManagementNow the "small, less interesting project" purge seems to be over, maybe let people start to experiment with their ideas in 20% time, again?

Didn't quite live up to what I imagined

Business Associate Intern (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat perks (food, gym), great kudos.

ConsWas not inspired by the work I was doing, there are lots of smart people doing very mundane jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush the interns harder.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!