Google

www.google.com
Engaged on Glassdoor

Not what it looks like

I have been working at Google

Pros

- smart people
    - free food
    - you learn a lot
    - opens all doors
    - nice and eductational atmosphere
    - you can leave the office whenever you feel like having a break

Cons

- bad mid management
    - even worse team-leads. Either they are super good or super bad.
    - trainings are all internal and with G-products, so conveying certain skills to other non-Google related are difficult

Before promoting someone to team lead check if they are 'really' qualified

Google: willing to work at a constant fast pace, can be rewarded

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people. Life long friends. Friendly culture that has not changes with massive growth. Collaboration.

Cons

Always changing, fast paced, performance focused environment. Might prove testing for people who don't manage their work/life balance well.

Good work for hard-working people

Current Employee - Web Developer in London, England
    Current Employee - Web Developer in London, England

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Rewards for performance rather than according to position. Excellent learning possibilities internally as well externally even if not related to a role.

Cons

Working with lots of experienced professionals is a challenge itself. Be sure to be ready to work with competitive(in good way) people that challenge the status quo.

Wide range of possibilities in taking time off of any kind. Constant emphasis on self development. If you want to be heard you will be heard.

Great experience, but all consuming

I worked at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'll miss my team and the people the most, Google has done a great job in hiring over the years. The fast pace (for such a large company) is very exciting, and the autonomy (once you have proven yourself) is great for people who relish that. Also the values are strong and the ability to innovate and really push for new developments and advances in your role and function are really well supported

Cons

For people outside the US, increasingly becoming too US (well Valley) centric - aside from regional roles most of the interesting senior roles are based there, beware if you are in Europe or elsewhere globally. Drain of people moving there as the only means to further their careers. Also politics (as with any big company) is rife and silo's strong. Finally don't expect to have much of a life outside of the company

Long term, need to build a more inclusive global strategy as concentrating in the Valley is an introspective approach for a major global player

The best experience in my carreer

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great projects and culture, plenty of nice and interesting people to work with, easy to get involved in whatever interests you.
    Also plenty of resources and supportive management which allows to be ambitious and still succeed.
    Perks are also great.

Cons

I can't imagine working somewhere else even for much more money.

Great challenges, lots of opportunity to learn and grow, and an extremely cool culture.

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Google as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Very smart and nice colleagues.
    - Solve on problems on a completely different scale than other companies.
    - Lovely culture and great perks.

Cons

- Very Mountain-view-centric, especially at higher levels
    - Mountain view is a horrible place to live.

Reduce the growth in mountain view so it becomes less than all other larger offices.
    Spread senior management around into other offices

Great place to work, but...

Current Employee - Finance Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in London, England

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Free food, free gym, plenty of autonomy and perks. Interesting speakers come into talk and we can generally set our own times and get our work done to our own rhythms.

Cons

Interesting projects are hard to come by outside the US hub. There is a hierarchy even if they claim there isn't. Decisions take forever - everyone's opinion is valid, yet there are too many decision makers and no decisions. Promotion is more about who you know that what you did. You will work long hours - usually till 7pm.

Overall good

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a fun place to work. Everybody is willing to teach you something new.

Cons

The company is a bit overwhelming

Good company

I worked at Google

Pros

Great perks, training and compensation. Management structure can be good at times.

Cons

Progression can be arbitrary.

Had the best time of my life.

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in London, England
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in London, England

I have been working at Google as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Did an internship as a Software Engineer at the London office and also had the opportunity to visit Mountain View.
    * My team was great, all super talented people from different areas (most of them Ivy-leaguers) - theoretical Physisists, CS folks, hardware specialists and even guys with background in social sciences - all of them software engineers, too.
    * The project was super interesting and meaningful and unlike other companies, Google has very good tutorials/material to get you up to speed in whatever you do.
    * The atmosphere is great. Awesome food and the little micro-kitchens make you feel very comfortable. But it's not only the food, most engineers are very outgoing and fun and the ones who aren't are good at heart.
    * Reputation. Google not only does great software but does what many other large companies fail to do: they conduct research in areas beyond their core business, in areas that are completely new, only to prove everyone wrong and show what can be done. Examples (just to name a few): - Google Fiber - Google Glass - Project Loon - Google driverless car. Personally, I find this super exciting.
    * Benefits. There's so many, even for interns! Don't know where to start. You can spend 20% of your time on a project of your choice. I did a 20% project with another intern, that was really fun.
    * Cool activities. The recruiters did a truly awesome job at organizing weekly fun activities (e.g. we watched "the Internship" before its original release in the cinema, flew to the Zurich office for the "intern summit", just to name a few ). And this in addition to all the other fun stuff happening every day.

Cons

* many people think high of themselves; but I guess this is normal in companies that hire the best, luckliy there's most people aren't like this

Keep hiring awesome tech people. Maybe raise standards for technical questions.