Grimco

Grimco Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Bob Hummert

CDR

CDR (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsIf you take care of Grimco, they will most definitely take care of you. This is my first job out of college, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in sales, or to someone who knows they want to be in a business setting, but aren't quite sure of what they want from it. You're given so many opportunities to grow the company and work from every angle of the business. There's always a new opportunity - you just have to want it. Aside from just the company as a whole, the people I get to work with everyday are amazing. It's a very positive, fun, and exciting environment.

ConsWith great power comes great responsibility. As previously mentioned, you're presented with so many amazing opportunities and clients, that it does get difficult to juggle. It has definitely taught me to prioritize. It's a constant, growing, changing company, so there's always something new to tackle. There are times that it's tough to get it all done because our sales focus changes so frequently.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a... Another beautiful thing about Grimco? You're able to shoot suggestions over to them anytime you want. I feel comfortable enough with my company that I've given them all the suggestions I have. There's no need to give "advice" on a reviews website... I just pick up the phone / shoot an email with my inquiry, and we have an actual conversation about it.

Hard work pays off

Branch Manager (Current Employee) Quakertown, PA (US)

ProsI had the opportunity to grow and become part of decision making and process understanding quickly. I am being given the ability to make my own future in Grimco. I have worked hard to develop new sales and grow my client sales for 5 years and have been rewarded with raises each year, along with trust to teach others how I have done my work. New branches open and new opportunities are presented every year in Grimco. Work hard, show the desire to become a member of the branch, not just an employee, and Grimco will see your influence. Be vocal, show results and you can enjoy a career with this company. Grimco requires dedication to the processes and maximum efforts. It is very rewarding and is a career opportunity, but will not be enjoyable if the desire to become part of Grimco is not with you. I remember meeting the Vice Presidents, Bob Hummert and John Burkemper in training and instantly thought to myself, "I want to work for these guys. I want to be part of this".....seeing the company growth and being able to literally see my influence clearly in the branch's numbers is self rewarding daily

ConsIf you are just looking for a "job" Grimco is not for you. These are careers and opportunitiy driven positions

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to share experiences and growth results. The Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Regional Managers and Branch Managers are all open for conversation and questions. Continue to work as a team, promote from within like you are now and develop new leaders in every branch monthly and yearly.

Company full of opportunity

Sales Management (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsPersonal growth is by far the key highlight to this company. It is a "Good to Great" kind of company. Very forward thinking, always looking toward its good people to improve, always evolving to stay ahead of the industry. What impresses me most is how many decisions are made to invest in our people and internal systems to help ensure our stability and success for decades to come.

Every opportunity to grow within the company is mine to grab. It's a very goal-driven company. I am always asked what my personal goals are, what I hope to do some day, and what the company can do to help support my goals. And more importantly, we then set plans to help make those things happen.

I definitely think that the company is family-oriented, reminding its good people that family is first....I have countless stories to support this truth. I have always had opportunities to take charge and try new things if I want. I feel well compensated. I've compared Grimco to many other companies, and few other companies offer the growth path both in responsibility and income potential that I've seen at Grimco.

ConsPerhaps I've been with the company too long, but I cannot think of any cons. Any possible con I might consider has an overwhelming pro to wipe it out.
    If you can call it a "con", I'd say that constant change is a guarantee here. At all levels, we are challenged to get stronger, adjust to market conditions/competition, and not just trot down the same path every time. If constant activity and routine change (I call it "opportunities to do more") are not your cup of tea, it can be difficult for that type of person to adapt. But if you want to be successful and learn how a great business is run, then there isn't a better place for that. A strong, stable company is hard to find these days, but I truly believe that this is one of them.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep striving to get better and find great future employees to be our leaders. The key to my success doesn't just lie in my hands, it lies in the hands of our future employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you want to learn a lot about how to run a successful business and be a leader, this is the place for you!

ProsEmployees at Grimco are energetic and passionate about what they are doing. There has been a lot of growth over the past few years which has given people new a lot of new opportunities and there is more growth to come. The possibilities for what you can do within Grimco are endless as long as you are hard-working and prove yourself. The executives and top management truly have an open door policy and are willing to teach you about the business beyond your job responsibilities - all you have to do is ask! If you want to have the chance to make an impact on a solid, growing company take a look at Grimco. They put a lot of trust in their employees - sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't but the fact that the opportunities are given is huge, especially in today's world.

ConsDue to the rapid growth they have experienced and the large number of employees that they have hired on, training is lacking. Developing a training program that gives employees resources beyond their first two weeks with Grimco will be essential if they want to have an educated and successful staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommit resources to ongoing training and keep the open dialogue between executives, managers, and employees open. Don't lose the good aspects that you had a small business as you continue to grow larger (try to not become too corporate),

Successful, fast-paced, caring company!

ProsThey really do treat you like family, but also push you to be the best you can be. As long as you do your best, there are a variety of opportunities for you. Management is great to work for and they trust and believe in your decisions. They want to see you succeed. I feel Grimco is the perfect company to work for if you are driven and hard-working and want to be rewarded for those qualities. It is very fun and exciting environment to work in on a daily basis. Plus you have the ability to build a solid, stable career. The health and 401k benefits are out of this world.

ConsNot much negative to say here. They do try to learn from past issues/mistakes. Its an ever-evolving company that grew really rapidly so perhaps more focus on training and development of current managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love that there is a core group of people at the top that are honest, hard-working, and kind-hearted. This provides such a rewarding environment. Keep up the great work!

Grimco provides great opportunities

ProsGrimco is the first job I've worked at that truly does provide advancement opportunities based on your results rather than your seniority with the company. It is extremely fast paced and challenging. If you are a hard worker and looking for a company to make your own mark, this company is it. I came to Grimco a few years removed from college so I did not have a ton of business experience, but Grimco gave me the opportunity to learn and improve my sales skills without being micro-managed. Through hard work and dedication to growing the business, I was able to contribute to my branch's success of hitting goals. It is definitely not easy, but the company really does promote based on merit vs. just putting in your time, which was huge for me being a young professional. They provide a career opportunity and not just a job!

ConsThere is a very large product offering that can be a lot to learn and the pace of the job is very fast. You have to be able to multi-task because each location is made up of small teams so the importance of each team member performing is critical to a location's success.

A growing company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsGrimco is a great company to be a part of if you want to learn a lot and grow. Responsibility is given out very early and they give you a chance to stand out. What I love is the opportunity to make a difference and contribute in a real way. I know that my suggestions are taken seriously and my ideas are being put to action. The hours are good and managers are very flexible with schedule. Executive management is very friendly and the doors are always open.

ConsThe PTO policy could be better. The amount of PTO given should be more competitive with the market. Because Grimco is growing so rapidly, their policies/procedures/programs could use an update to keep up with the amount of employees. Some processes are too time-consuming and don't make sense for a larger volume.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep yourself involved on the employee level. It will be easy to lose that as Grimco grows and its important that employees know you care about their success.

Grimco is a great place for aggressive, hard-working individuals!

ProsGrimco is growing considerably and has numerous opportunities for future growth. Salaries and commission plans will show 10-15% raises per year for performing employees. The benefits package (for health insurance, profit sharing, etc.) is second to none. Many employees in this company have become managers is less than two years.

ConsMust have a strong sense of urgency to work here. If you are passive, you will not fit the company culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to invest more $$$ into Grimco web and e-commerce site. That is the future!

Its okay (3 stars). Rated 1 star because the reviews below this one are clearly written by HR department.

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsGood sales training. Great job to find out if sales is really what you want to do. Corporate seems to care about employees to a degree.

Every single person that I work with at the branch level cares about doing the right thing by their customers. Grimco is a great company to do business with, we will go above and beyond to help our customers and usually this is supported by management.

ConsFew senior employees outside of corporate. Sales people at the branch level come and go rapidly. We are talking retail levels of turnover. Pay is below average, but livable, and they have resorted to writing fake reviews on glass-door. 5 days off during first year (no sick time) is unacceptable.

As the company grows, less and less freedom is being offered to reps as far as pricing. Grimco does a lot of research into what it believes the pricing should be and wants people to stick to this. I am worried that this might lead to Grimco becoming noncompetitive in regards to pricing.

Web ordering is being pushed hard and will result in fewer employees. This is currently being denied by management, but will be inevitable once inbound call volume drops to a certain point. They will likely keep their best sales reps and drop the rest. I honestly do not have much of a problem with this, as this is the company simply trying to be competitive by minimizing payroll. This will also allow them to pay their best sales people better. Its a good move for the company, maybe not a great one if you are looking to work here.

Hitting numbers is pushed hard, but this is to be expected in a sales job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at why you are able to keep so many people in Fenton for so long, and then look at how you can transfer how you treat those employees to the branch level.

Handle the coming downsize with class.

Teach HR reps to write fake reviews better. All of the lengths were similar, the topics were similar and the criticisms were interview level of non-answer bull feces. Also, perhaps the "Title of your review" section should not have the exact same sentence structure and punctuation in each one.

I would recommend Grimco to a friend as its not a terrible job.

Unbelievable Promise & Unreal Expectation

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsBecoming a large company but still has the mom and pop feel, Great job for young grad first or 2nd job etc..Ability to work remotely with a measure of freedom

ConsYes it is possible to get comfortable, time will pass you by therefore you must be conscious of your career goals at all times. Training is poor, If you are lucky you will be trained on what you will be doing. Oh but you will be expected to comprehend and excel, good luck!

Advice to Senior ManagementMicro management is a joke, Review all employees every 3 months to ensure proper direction.
    In short every little thing that happens in the trenches should not travel up to the owner of the company.
    Every employee is an adult and deserves to be treated as such.

Worked for Grimco? Contribute to the Community!