Grimco

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Bob Hummert

Current Employee

I have been working at Grimco full-time for more than a year

ProsGrimco- Company recognizes when employees work hard. Great company to move up quickly and take on responsibility. Good company culture and great people to work around. This is an excellent company if you are looking for growth and the ability to move up within a company that is expanding. Many employees that work for Grimco have been here a long time and have held many different positions and contributed to the growth and success of the company.

ConsSales is not for everyone, if you are good you will do well.

If you're smart enough to use Glassdoor to research this company, you will not be satisfied with Grimco.

Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Grimco full-time for more than a year

ProsThe original illusion of decision making is exciting. Making 'sales' here is like considering the checker at the grocery store a salesman.

ConsI like to call it an "order-putter-inner" position. But wait, I get to go out and do sales calls and build relationships with my clients. These relationships turn into you being an apologists for the mistakes made by underpaid, unattached warehouse and delivery people.

Grimco cuts corners in every possible situation. Shitty computers, printers, desks, offices, forklifts, phones. Want to work in the ghetto? Google maps a location near you.

The OS they use is AS400, which is dos based. The CRM is ineffective and for a sales company, laughable.

There is no money in it. The market is over saturated with distributors, you will peak at maybe 55k after 10 years. If you like working hard for a corporation that gives nothing back to its employees, customers, or community, this is for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the company instead of rapid expansion. Have some transparency. Promote based on talent, not tenure. Stop putting friends into management positions.

BEWARE! CROOKED MANAGERS!

Pros8 to 5 Monday-Friday
Upper Management (minus some regional managers)

ConsMicromanage (Your manager will look over your shoulder every second of every day)
Managers in branches are very quick to point out your mistakes and no coaching on how to fix them. Some thing that reports and looking at the "numbers" is enough to coach you.
Will give you goals to reach and if you reach them, they still harp on you.
If they do tell you something to work on and you do it, you still will be harped on or even terminated!
Don't expect to move up within the company. There is a lot of "buddy/buddy" things happening.
Did a funnel project that cost MILLIONS and hurt for the beginning of the year growth so managers were under distress and let go people they shouldn't have!
The manager at my branch was very unprofessional and inappropriate at time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new branch managers that can manage! Not ones who are good at sales. Keep them in the sales position. Managers are suppose to coach, not put down and say look at the numbers. Regional managers need to make more of a effort to come to branches to see the teams and provide coaching. Also have the managers look at not the numbers, but what all the person does for the branch!

Great values and goals, but lack of direction.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Grimco full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat executive accessibility. Good work/life balance.

ConsTaking on additional tasks is not rewarded. No directly laid out path opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpread senior management throughout the company physically, not remotely.

Good First Job

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Grimco full-time

ProsGiven a lot of responsibility off the bat. Able to make immediate decisions. Growing company that is doing better than the competition. Great benefits.

ConsLack of technology you only get a server box which is slow and not fun to use. Pay is not up to standard for market. Lack of guidance for advancement they expect you to work for a while until you get any type of promotion which is not ideal for a company trying to hire young ambitious workers out of college.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to pay employees better. It cost more money to train a new one then give a pay increase.

Company on the decline

Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee)

Prosits a job, i guess.

Consmicromanagement

no recognition for hard work unless you're in the "in crowd"

no growth

no one takes responsibility for their mistakes

horrible customer service

they only value top customers and could not care less for the smaller ones

salary does not match up to work load

young managers (25-27 yrs old) have no idea how to manage people

only the mediocre work here and actually stay here

Advice to Senior Managementvalue every single one of your customers, big or small, that's true customer service

value your employees and pay them a respectable salary

do not put a young kid as your manager because he will start dating a subordinate and give her better treatment than the rest of the people under him (true story)

Customer development rep

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Grimco full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work life balance, allows you to be your own boss, strong leader in the industry, good start if your fresh out of college you will learn important skills for future endeavors, rewards for winning competitions between branches, great b2b experience, freedom to wheel and deal with your customers.

ConsStagnant salaries and no bonuses if your branch succeeds over goal. Management can be indecisive. Lots of good people leaving. Honestly all around a good company if your just starting out of college.

Great Place to work and nice people to work with

I have been working at Grimco

ProsGreat corporate support
Like running your own business (You make the rules)

ConsAll the employees are in the same room

Opportunities for inexperienced, new to the business world, college grads

I worked at Grimco full-time

ProsOpportunities to move up if you are willing to relocate, and are open to helping you relocate to any branch that has an opening.

ConsUnfortunately, no business is kept private. Personal or HR discussed with almost any of the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess micromanaging and let employees do their own time management in and out of the office.

Grimco has big company benefits with a small company feel. Not many people their Vice President knows who they are.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Grimco full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat hours of 8 to 5 - Monday through Friday. Very nice group of co-workers and upper management. The company really gives the employees the power to make decisions on a day to day basis.

ConsFirst year you only have 5 paid days off. No sick days are given which makes going to the doctor or actually being sick very difficult to work around.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive sick days. It's a simple thing to give employees

Worked for Grimco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Grimco reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Grimco CEO Bob Hummert . All 17 reviews are posted anonymously by Grimco employees.