H&M

H&M Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

H&M Managing Director & CEO Karl-Johan Persson

Karl-Johan Persson

Pros:
  • "I've worked in retail for years, so when I made the jump to working at H&M"
    in 53 reviews
  • "Great Benefits; Pay; Fun Co-workers; Discounts;Fast pace"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "did not enjoy my environment overall and was very sad because I love H&M"
    in 53 reviews
  • "It is a fast paced environment which means long hours on your feet"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ok for a part time stop gap.

Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at H&M part-time for more than a year

ProsGood culture and values, friendly colleagues. I received full two weeks of training for a part time position in online services.

ConsPoor managers at the site I was at. It seemed that people were promoted based on how long they had been there and not based on how well they could manage a team.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people based on merit and not on how long someone has been there!

Worst company EVER! Do not work here as you'll be up for a lot of misery.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at H&M part-time for more than a year

Prosdiscount card that you get given well 1 month after you have started working there.

ConsVery poorly organised, no opportunities to grow. No training given.Demand very much for the low wages it gives. No values- yet they claim to be different from other companies in that they value their workers.Extremely rude and arrogant supervisors and members of management who do not in the slightest respect or appreciate their workers.As a current employee who has worked over a year with the company and a few months in the new store (Hammersmith), I have not once felt like I have been appreciated or valued by my supervisor or manager- they constantly try to bring their workers down just because they are higher up in the hierarchy. Clear favoritism from management and supervisors. Always understaffed, meaning very few workers have to cope with an unrealistic high workload. I would honestly not recommend this company to ANYONE, you'll be in for a lot of misery and regret if you end up working here.

Be wary - so disorganised, strange outdated policies

Part Time Sales Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at H&M part-time for less than a year

Pros25% discount able to be used at COS and Cheap Monday

ConsSo I may of just had a really bad experience, but the info I was given during the interview was really vague. Told I'd be earning £6.44 an hour, and then at my first paycheck realised I'd only been paid Minimum wage (£6.31) . Flagged with management, no apology, no recompense. Just told nothing could be done and deal with it. Would go up to £6.44 after a 3 month probation. Rota's change with no warning and then blamed for not turning up. And they really don't expect you to know much, happy to just let you give customers really minimal vague info. Also on a 20 hour contract, instead of putting the hours in sensible chunks like 2 x 6 hrs and 1 x 8 hr a week, it is split over 4-5 days, meaning holding down 2 jobs to earn enough to pay rent and bills is virtually impossible. Really inflexible with shifts, apparently they have a fair policy for weekends but I'd never experienced a whole weekend off unless I'd booked it. Training vague and patchy. Learnt most from other colleagues.
I'm a graduate who worked in retail for many years at management level, yet this meant nothing to H M. Feedback down the chain of command is appalling. Feels more like a bitchy high school than a professional retail establishment.
I'm so pleased to be out of there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPolicies really need updating. Who on earth gives out refunds with no receipts?
Recognise people with experience and treat them as such. If you stick an experienced Junior manager in a basic sales position, she's going to get frustrated at how badly everything is done.

a very good experience

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at H&M full-time for more than 5 years

Prosa very friendly and vibrant environment

Consno cons, you get paid to do a job

Advice to Senior Managementvery friendly and all willing to help

H&M Customer services

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at H&M full-time for more than a year

Prostraining access, fast paced company with constant improvements and changes, extracurricular activities and awesome company values(when followed).

Conscompetition for progress, brown-nosing promotion process in-stores, inflexibility in certain procedures which makes for angry customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith a great CEO in place, who's ethics and values, i would like to see him and his management take a first hand glimpse in to front line procedures, and make the improvements to services that customers demand, which would make EVERYONE's life easier and more productive.
Having also worked in stores, I needs to be ensured that the employees there are more supported in following the company values. They get lost in the rush, and a clique in store will grab at all the promotions/opportunities, and hard work rarely gets you anywhere.

Dreadful employer, avoid at all costs.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Birmingham, England

I worked at H&M full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFriendly working environment. Successful global brand.

ConsExtremely stressfull and understaffed beyond belief. Every day is horrifically challenging. The workload and expectations are incredibly high, and it is impossible to meet the requirements of the job specification due to the fact the stores constantly run on below minimal hours. H&M is also suffering from lack of succession......no training or development can be given to anyone as there are no hours spare in the day. As a result many stores now have vacancies that are almost impossible to fill as external candidates can a) Rarely cope or b) will not join the business now because of its ever growing bad reputation. Current employees are resigning on a weekly basis, especially store managers, department manager and visual merchandisers. Avoid this company at all costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a long hard look at the way you running the business and take action. Continuing to manage the business the way you are will, ultimately, be its downfall.

Underpaid & Understaffed

Sales Advisor (Former Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at H&M part-time

Pros- the people
- the discount

Cons- Not very flexible with shifts
- Always short staffed
- For £6.44 p/hour you have to do the job of about 4 people
- Customers are often dissastisfied as sales staff are unable to deliver basic customer service due to how understaffed store is
- No support given to floor staff
- Progression based on favouritism
- Very stressful working environment

Advice to Senior Management- Appreciate all staff
- Spend more time on the shop floor supporting staff

Enjoyable job, but poor management structure.

Part Time Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at H&M part-time for more than a year

ProsCompetitive remuneration and comprehensive training. Clear company values communicated to all levels of staff and actively encouraged to demonstrate values in everyday tasks.

ConsManagement appointed due to time spent at company and number of times they have applied for promotion. This led to weak role models leading teams.

It's okay.

Sales Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at H&M full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- 25% discount including brands under the H&M group
- Good holiday
- Flexiable hours
- Okay salary
- Good music

Cons- Really fast pace
- Constant short staff
- Late leaving times
- Lack of communication

Overworked and underpaid

Sales Advisor (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at H&M full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat friendly team for the most part. There's a 25% discount in H&M and COS. You will rarely be bored as you are so busy.

ConsYou will effectively have to do the work of 3 people as the store is understaffed always. Expect to stay behind very late on almost all closing shifts. Weird overtime system where you will not be paid for it every month so you have to keep track yourself to ensure you get what's owed at the end of the financial year. Be warned they will not do it for you and you will lose out on pay. The till system is outdated which slows down transactions. Customers tend not to have respect for the store, can be very abusive and not much security in store so can be frightening

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more staff per floor!

Worked for H&M? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at H&M reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for H&M CEO Karl-Johan Persson. All 479 reviews are posted anonymously by H&M employees.