H&M

H&M Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

H&M Managing Director & CEO Karl-Johan Persson

Karl-Johan Persson

Pros
  • H&M was willing to work with my school schedule and kept it consistent for the most part(in 58 reviews)

• Great Benefits; Pay; Fun Co-workers; Discounts;Fast pace(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • did not enjoy my environment overall and was very sad because I love H&M(in 53 reviews)

• It is a fast paced environment which means long hours on your feet(in 20 reviews)

very good

Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) London, England

Prosthe staff discount is good,lots of incentives such as extra week pay if the store reaches its target.
    Good teamwork and the pay is a little more than the other retailers. If you want to progress within the company it is easy to do.

ConsIf you want to profess then it is down to yourself to get noticed, you have to really push for it and work hard. You have to be a Jack of all trades here doing a bit of everything

good

Administrative and Sales (Current Employee) Coventry, England

ProsFriendly people
    good progression
    development of skills as you are expected to carry out wide range of duties

Conspoor communication between department managers and staff i.e. they change the rotas without telling you
    bonus seems unattainable
    very understaffed which means you are doing the job of 3/4 people
    very often you find yourself staying past closing time as the store is not tidy -HIRE MORE STAFF

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and communicate with staff more effectively
    spend more time on the shop floor

False promises and overworked staff

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsH&M do give very good training and there is development opportunities. As a big company there is room for movement. What makes people stay is the people you work with- quirky, cool and fun.

ConsThey will invest time in you and make you feel like anything is possible, but they dangle a carrot and tell you just to achieve more and more. Fundamentally there is just not enough people to do the job. You can do more and more and work longer and longer hours, but it is never enough. Customers shout and complain at the lack of staff, but there is nothing you can do. The company controls everything and there is so little freedom to think for yourself. There is a totally unattainable bonus scheme, which they remove if the company performance isn't good enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture of the business is fast paced and there is nothing wrong with that. You get the support and training to succeed, but not the time or staff to do it. In the end you loose sight of what to do and just start following orders. The company talks about being entrepreneurial but if you don't have enough time to do you job, how can you think about anything else? Its a great place to work to develop your time management skills but don't plan on staying too long.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company with a lot of politics.

Part-time Sales Advisor (Former Employee) London, England

ProsThey can be quite flexible with your hours and you will usually meet some nice people there.

ConsThe pay is low and I haven't seen a pay rise for years. Some branches are really good to work in but some will be a nightmare. There are so many stupid rules to follow and a lot of politics. HR will never listen to any of your complaints you may have about the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your sales advisers. They are the ones facing the customers.

Great colleagues, terrible managers who created an awful working environment.

Sales Advisor (Former Employee) Southampton, England

ProsGreat Team work skill building, H&M's values are a great idea.

ConsCustomers are usually rude and managers are ruder. Working environment is terrible because managers did not look after staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange career.

Friendly experience

ConsTraining not as good
    Work Balence
    Not as much breaks

Advice to Senior ManagementMore team meetings

Brilliant experience. It is a job for working starters or for those who follow fashion career.

ProsPeople you work with are excellent. Multicultural environment were everyone can speak with each other.

ConsLong working hours with short breaks

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistent career progression

Great place to work. Company that has values and works with them. progression and self development. Team focus.

Store Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat team, great values, great product.

Conssalary, huge differences between employees with same job title.

Hard work is expected

Department Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGood room to progress within company.

ConsVery hard work , lots of pressure from area offices

Advice to Senior ManagementHave realistic expectations

Ok for a part time stop gap.

Supervisor (Former Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

ProsGood culture and values, friendly colleagues. I received full two weeks of training for a part time position in online services.

ConsPoor managers at the site I was at. It seemed that people were promoted based on how long they had been there and not based on how well they could manage a team.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people based on merit and not on how long someone has been there!

Worked for H&M? Contribute to the Community!