H&M Reviews

Updated 22 October 2014
3.4

H&M Managing Director & CEO Karl-Johan Persson
Karl-Johan Persson

Pros
  • H&M is very flexible and only really requires you to have your weekends open (in 64 reviews)

• Great Benefits; Pay; Fun Co-workers; Discounts;Fast pace (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Trying to Run a H&M the size of 1/2 a Macy's on the budgeted hours of a Journeys shoe store (in 56 reviews)

• It is a fast paced environment which means long hours on your feet (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

I have had a lot of good opportunities with H&M

Current Employee - Visual Manager in Kingston upon Thames, England
    Current Employee - Visual Manager in Kingston upon Thames, England

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked in H&M for 9 years and started as weekend sales. If you are intelligent and hard working you are immediately noticed. Progression is very important in H&M, it is a requirement for managers to progress their staff so if you want to move up it is very possible. I have met most of my closest friends through H&M! I have been sent abroad by H&M to South Korea to work for 3 week and there are currently lots of opportunities to go to Australia and Asia even as sales if you are good!

Cons

It is very fast paced and you are expected to do a lot! For me I enjoy the challenges and have added 'can handle stress well' to my list of achievements but for people who want an easy, lazy job it is not for you!

You have to put yourself forward, if you are not vocal about what you want from your career you won't get anywhere and you can't be shy!

Friendly, well organised, can be stressful

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Nottingham, England

I have been working at H&M part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Holiday allowance, 25% discount, special promotions e.g. 50% off two items during season change, incentive quarterly.

Cons

Can be quite stressful, especially if under staffed, very fast paced environment

Poor pay for management promoted internally

Former Employee - Administrative Manager in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Administrative Manager in Leeds, England

I worked at H&M full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Staff discount is good at 25%

Cons

They pay a lot more for managers recruited externally than for those progressed within the business which is completely unfair

Level the pay scales for management

Great company to work for on a part-time contract - not worth the full time effort.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I have been working at H&M part-time (more than an year)

Pros

25% discount, 50% off sometimes on outfits/a pair of denim/outdoor jackets seasonly, a nice mix of mainly young people with different personalities, lots of overtime available if you're looking for more work hours, 1.5x pay working during Christmas/New year period, incentive bonus for all staff if target is exceeded.

Cons

Unhelpful department managers that only care about their own department, two-faced store managers that only care about you when you're working hard and praise you to sweeten you up. A LOT of staff turnover, even in the senior management positions - you could have one manager as your department manager for 1 month and then someone new will come along to replace them. Busier and bigger stores tend to keep you for longer for 10 minutes to help clear rails when you're doing a closing shift and then let you go before 15 mins so they don't have you pay you a penny for overtime.

A good company to develop skills in time management. However experiences will vary depending on the size of the store. Difficult to internally progress from this position.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Manchester, England

I worked at H&M full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The brand has many different labels and therefore has a diverse range of trends and customers. In larger stores they have current designer collaborations and music events. As a sales advisor you will always be tasking so a shift will always be varied as opposed to solely being a greeter or till operator.

Cons

There a few people on the floor at any one time which increases the pressure and workload. Unfortunately this also decreases the amount of time that can be spent advising a customer.
    Especially in a larger store you may feel like a number, it is difficult to find any time to do additional training and any development of brand knowledge.

Be cohesive in your claims of being passionate about internal progression. Stop employing people based on the fact that they have management experience in another field that is irrelevant to the job. As these people will leave and effect the group dynamic and faith in the brand for those who do want to work in retail.
    Employ more people to cover vital service points as this will cost less than the stock loss that is accumulated due to this. This was also relieve the pressure of other staff on the floor.

Friendly staff, organised daily working systems

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Manchester, England

I worked at H&M part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible working hours, over time shifts available

Cons

Technology needs updating for a modern touch

Hideous

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

I worked at H&M part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really don't think there are any. I guess the fact that you can use the discount at their sister stores COS, Cheap Monday and And Other Stories is pretty good. Wouldn't bother spending the money at H+M though as everything is so poorly made.
    I was lucky enough to have some previous visual merchandising experience, which meant I was given the opportunity to help that team, but people without previous experience weren't offered the opportunity.

Cons

No consideration for part time workers. Given a 20 hour a week contract and told that I had to be fully flexible 7 days a week, which believe it or not makes it incredibly hard to find another job to make up the hours to make the money you need to live. On top of that, they pay minimum wage for the first 3 months, upping to a very generous (!) £6.50 per hour after you've passed your probation.
    I found that people were generally promoted dependent on how long they'd been there, which made for quite a weak management structure at the top and it showed.

Lots of petty 'punishments' for till errors, which could very easily be solved by upgrading the tills. ie: a customer with 30 things comes up to the till, you scan everything through and then customer decides it's too much money and removes 7 items... You can't cancel those on the till, as any more than 5 error corrects in one transaction gets you a 'cashier error' (you will be called to the office, made to sign a sheet saying you acknowledge you've done a naughty, and be patronisingly talked through the correct process and given a stern warning) .
     You have to void the ENTIRE transaction and start again. Try explaining that to a customer with a screaming kid. (Hint: the 'it's policy' argument doesn't get you very far)

Not paying people for time spent clearing up at the end of shifts is unacceptable. I was once told that I was expected to 'give' at least 10-15 minutes at the end of every shift, unpaid. And that I had to be on the floor 5-10 minutes before a shift started too. If you need us there, pay us. Simple as.
    Also, the till systems are so antiquated it's a joke. And then you expect us to do a stocktake, when the till's don't scan things properly, and wonder why the results are so poor?
    ARRGGGHHHH

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DO IT
    This is about 1/4 of all the things that are wrong. But I've lost the will to live

Rethink the core structure of things.

please

Worst retail company in the UK, unless you work in one of the big city centre based focus stores...

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The following pros only relate to big city stores with high turnovers:

-Great variety of people full & part time
    -Days go relatively quick
    -Christmas party

Cons

- inexperienced store managers in smaller stores
    - bichee cliques
    - management pay is appalling
    - workload is disgusting
    - you will spend majority of your time at work or thinking about work when you're not at work
    - smaller stores is where you will start your career as a manager and it is impossible to achieve the standards expected given that your store team size is small.
    - You will put in a lot of unpaid extra hours and won't get a thank you. Very rarely you will get appreciated for anything you've done. They will make you work like a dog and you're career progression isn't as fast as they make it out to be.
    -im leaving H&M next week as a manager and it's the best thing I will have done in 10 years.
    -as for sales staff they will try and hire you on a 4 hour contract but will expect you to be fully flexible so they can make you work 35 hours but save on money when it comes to giving you holiday pay..... Coz you'll only get your 4 hours worth a week.

Organisation needs to see that Not all stores are the same. Understand each store on a store to store basis and provide the support that smaller stores need. Or lower expectations a bit.

Brilliant company to work for, thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Milton Keynes, England
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Milton Keynes, England

I worked at H&M part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get a lot of different experiences as there are lots of different areas you can assist in; good rate of pay for my age at the time; staff incentives; co-workers were awesome; good 'family' atmosphere between colleagues

Cons

You have to be strong minded and opinionated to work there; not very flexible when it comes to shifts ie: if you can't work a shift, don't go out of their way to help

Ensure store management is fair

good

Current Employee - Administrative and Sales in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Administrative and Sales in Coventry, England

I have been working at H&M part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people
    good progression
    development of skills as you are expected to carry out wide range of duties

Cons

poor communication between department managers and staff i.e. they change the rotas without telling you
    bonus seems unattainable
    very understaffed which means you are doing the job of 3/4 people
    very often you find yourself staying past closing time as the store is not tidy -HIRE MORE STAFF

Try and communicate with staff more effectively
    spend more time on the shop floor