H&M Reviews

790 reviews filtered by

1. Friendly staff, organised daily working systems

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Manchester, England

I worked at H&M part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours, over time shifts available

Cons

Technology needs updating for a modern touch

2. A good company to develop skills in time management. However experiences will vary depending on the size of the store. Difficult to internally progress from this position.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Manchester, England

I worked at H&M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The brand has many different labels and therefore has a diverse range of trends and customers. In larger stores they have current designer collaborations and music events. As a sales advisor you will always be tasking so a shift will always be varied as opposed to solely being a greeter or till operator.

Cons

There a few people on the floor at any one time which increases the pressure and workload. Unfortunately this also decreases the amount of time that can be spent advising a customer.
    Especially in a larger store you may feel like a number, it is difficult to find any time to do additional training and any development of brand knowledge.

Advice to Management

Be cohesive in your claims of being passionate about internal progression. Stop employing people based on the fact that they have management experience in another field that is irrelevant to the job. As these people will leave and effect the group dynamic and faith in the brand for those who do want to work in retail.
    Employ more people to cover vital service points as this will cost less than the stock loss that is accumulated due to this. This was also relieve the pressure of other staff on the floor.

Hideous

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

I worked at H&M part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really don't think there are any. I guess the fact that you can use the discount at their sister stores COS, Cheap Monday and And Other Stories is pretty good. Wouldn't bother spending the money at H+M though as everything is so poorly made.
    I was lucky enough to have some previous visual merchandising experience, which meant I was given the opportunity to help that team, but people without previous experience weren't offered the opportunity.

Cons

No consideration for part time workers. Given a 20 hour a week contract and told that I had to be fully flexible 7 days a week, which believe it or not makes it incredibly hard to find another job to make up the hours to make the money you need to live. On top of that, they pay minimum wage for the first 3 months, upping to a very generous (!) £6.50 per hour after you've passed your probation.
    I found that people were generally promoted dependent on how long they'd been there, which made for quite a weak management structure at the top and it showed.

Lots of petty 'punishments' for till errors, which could very easily be solved by upgrading the tills. ie: a customer with 30 things comes up to the till, you scan everything through and then customer decides it's too much money and removes 7 items... You can't cancel those on the till, as any more than 5 error corrects in one transaction gets you a 'cashier error' (you will be called to the office, made to sign a sheet saying you acknowledge you've done a naughty, and be patronisingly talked through the correct process and given a stern warning) .
     You have to void the ENTIRE transaction and start again. Try explaining that to a customer with a screaming kid. (Hint: the 'it's policy' argument doesn't get you very far)

Not paying people for time spent clearing up at the end of shifts is unacceptable. I was once told that I was expected to 'give' at least 10-15 minutes at the end of every shift, unpaid. And that I had to be on the floor 5-10 minutes before a shift started too. If you need us there, pay us. Simple as.
    Also, the till systems are so antiquated it's a joke. And then you expect us to do a stocktake, when the till's don't scan things properly, and wonder why the results are so poor?
    ARRGGGHHHH

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DO IT
    This is about 1/4 of all the things that are wrong. But I've lost the will to live

Advice to Management

Rethink the core structure of things.

please

Worst retail company in the UK, unless you work in one of the big city centre based focus stores...

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at H&M full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The following pros only relate to big city stores with high turnovers:

-Great variety of people full & part time
    -Days go relatively quick
    -Christmas party

Cons

- inexperienced store managers in smaller stores
    - bichee cliques
    - management pay is appalling
    - workload is disgusting
    - you will spend majority of your time at work or thinking about work when you're not at work
    - smaller stores is where you will start your career as a manager and it is impossible to achieve the standards expected given that your store team size is small.
    - You will put in a lot of unpaid extra hours and won't get a thank you. Very rarely you will get appreciated for anything you've done. They will make you work like a dog and you're career progression isn't as fast as they make it out to be.
    -im leaving H&M next week as a manager and it's the best thing I will have done in 10 years.
    -as for sales staff they will try and hire you on a 4 hour contract but will expect you to be fully flexible so they can make you work 35 hours but save on money when it comes to giving you holiday pay..... Coz you'll only get your 4 hours worth a week.

Advice to Management

Organisation needs to see that Not all stores are the same. Understand each store on a store to store basis and provide the support that smaller stores need. Or lower expectations a bit.

6. Brilliant company to work for, thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Milton Keynes, England
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Milton Keynes, England

I worked at H&M part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get a lot of different experiences as there are lots of different areas you can assist in; good rate of pay for my age at the time; staff incentives; co-workers were awesome; good 'family' atmosphere between colleagues

Cons

You have to be strong minded and opinionated to work there; not very flexible when it comes to shifts ie: if you can't work a shift, don't go out of their way to help

Advice to Management

Ensure store management is fair

good

Current Employee - Administrative and Sales in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Administrative and Sales in Coventry, England

I have been working at H&M part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people
    good progression
    development of skills as you are expected to carry out wide range of duties

Cons

poor communication between department managers and staff i.e. they change the rotas without telling you
    bonus seems unattainable
    very understaffed which means you are doing the job of 3/4 people
    very often you find yourself staying past closing time as the store is not tidy -HIRE MORE STAFF

Advice to Management

Try and communicate with staff more effectively
    spend more time on the shop floor

8. False promises and overworked staff

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at H&M full-time

Pros

H&M do give very good training and there is development opportunities. As a big company there is room for movement. What makes people stay is the people you work with- quirky, cool and fun.

Cons

They will invest time in you and make you feel like anything is possible, but they dangle a carrot and tell you just to achieve more and more. Fundamentally there is just not enough people to do the job. You can do more and more and work longer and longer hours, but it is never enough. Customers shout and complain at the lack of staff, but there is nothing you can do. The company controls everything and there is so little freedom to think for yourself. There is a totally unattainable bonus scheme, which they remove if the company performance isn't good enough.

Advice to Management

The culture of the business is fast paced and there is nothing wrong with that. You get the support and training to succeed, but not the time or staff to do it. In the end you loose sight of what to do and just start following orders. The company talks about being entrepreneurial but if you don't have enough time to do you job, how can you think about anything else? Its a great place to work to develop your time management skills but don't plan on staying too long.

9. Company with a lot of politics.

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in London, England
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in London, England

I worked at H&M part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They can be quite flexible with your hours and you will usually meet some nice people there.

Cons

The pay is low and I haven't seen a pay rise for years. Some branches are really good to work in but some will be a nightmare. There are so many stupid rules to follow and a lot of politics. HR will never listen to any of your complaints you may have about the management.

Advice to Management

Focus on your sales advisers. They are the ones facing the customers.

very good

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in London, England
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in London, England

I worked at H&M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the staff discount is good,lots of incentives such as extra week pay if the store reaches its target.
    Good teamwork and the pay is a little more than the other retailers. If you want to progress within the company it is easy to do.

Cons

If you want to profess then it is down to yourself to get noticed, you have to really push for it and work hard. You have to be a Jack of all trades here doing a bit of everything

11. Brilliant experience.
    It is a job for working starters or for those who follow fashion career.

I have been working at H&M

Pros

People you work with are excellent. Multicultural environment were everyone can speak with each other.

Cons

Long working hours with short breaks

Advice to Management

More consistent career progression