HARMAN International
www.harman.com Stamford, CT 5000+ Employees

HARMAN International Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014
HARMAN International – Querétaro – “Reception”

HARMAN International Chairman, President and CEO Dinesh C. Paliwal

Dinesh C. Paliwal

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedules creating a good work/life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "The company offers good hourly wages; good benefits package; and a clean work environment"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Revenue generation by sales at any price and margin management by cost cutting isn't a recipe for success"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Too many rounds of layoffs after Americans have trained their low cost counterpart in India and China"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Cash Cow for the cynical CEO and his selected "yes" men!

Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee)
Bridgend, Wales

I worked at HARMAN International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIn 2009/2010 I would have give Harman 4 or 5 stars.

The company *was* good to work for before Sidney Harman died - plenty on training and encouragement, quality & performance of the products was paramount.

Unfortunately this very quickly disappeared once the company's founder passed away, and the current CEO was give free reign.

ConsUpper management - especially the uppermost management.

The CEO's knee jerk reaction to a profits warning in late 2012 resulted in the majority of R&D talent of the organisation being stripped away to "save cost" and artificially increase profits.

European Engineers and technicians with decades of experience were turfed out, with the master-plan of replacing them with inexperienced Chinese engineers

This will enable a temporary increase in dividends for the shareholders over the next couple of years - this apparent turnaround is, of course, being spun as the genius of the CEO - NOT SO!

My prediction is that the CEO will be surreptitiously selling off his shares over the next 18 months or so - capitalizing on the artificial inflation of the share price, before the removal of the organizations life blood starts to tell.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow some, and stop blindly agreeing with CEO!

I give the company 2, maybe 3 years before large sections get sold off - no doubt resulting in some sort of personal profit for the upper management.

Harman Soundcraft/Studer in Potters Bar

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Potters Bar, England

I worked at HARMAN International full-time for more than a year

ProsThis all relates to working on the factory floor. The hours are pretty flexible and there is no real panic to get work done. You can (within reason) take your time and get the job done right. The atmosphere is friendly and you can have a laugh with your mates or keep yourself to yourself and get on with your work. There is little supervision.

ConsI have never seen such a badly run Stores in my life. This is a legacy problem created by starting as a small independant company with one set of PN's, being taken over by a huge orginisation and changing PN's, absorbing another company (Studer) changing PN's again and finaly being forced to adopt a worldwide rationalisation of Stores and changing PN's again. Nothing is in the right place in a Stores that is huge in comparison to the size of the operation.

The push to manufacture in China was another disaster. Parts are bought from China and shipped to the UK, they are then shipped to the chinese manufacturer who assembles the PCB's and ships them back to the UK. Often the PCB's are assembled into products that are then sold to China. Mistakes are made at every step and this combined with a huge and badly run Stores means there are massive delays as people hunt for parts or fix stock errors

Advice to Senior ManagementRelocate the company and use the opportunity to kill off old products and rationalise stores. Get rid of the dead wood.

great company

I have been working at HARMAN International

ProsThere is Nice work envo,also there is gud work exp, also there are alot of intelligent people

Consthere is Long work schedule,

Excellent people. Excellent support to improve technically.

Associate Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at HARMAN International full-time for less than a year

ProsGood job benefits for employees. I was provided with on the Job training. I was also provided a good package to start with. And the manager is always open for questions and is very helpful. And good coffee.

ConsNone. I felt the everything was well tken care of.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Intern

I have been working at HARMAN International

ProsVery good environment and friendly people

ConsNothing much on the cons

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up

good

Engineer (Current Employee)
Farmington Hills, MI (US)

I have been working at HARMAN International full-time for more than a year

Prosgood, great, dandy, fantastic nice.

Consgood, great, dandy, fantastic nice.

Advice to Senior Managementgoodjob

A great place to learn about CE

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at HARMAN International

ProsHarman does a very god job of hiring talent and retaining it.

ConsThe current culture is one of cost saving and job cutting at the expense of what Harman did the best; making things that sound great.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring outside the CE industry.

Innovative company

Marketing Communications Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HARMAN International full-time for more than a year

ProsInnovation is a driving strategy, talented people, competitive salary & global footprint

ConsStart-up/entrepreneurial culture sometimes leads to sudden changes in business direction

Not too good

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at HARMAN International full-time for less than a year

ProsHuge product line
Great Brand Name

ConsNo strategic direction
Total trader attitude
Not ethical in business transactions

Very pleasant and open minded work environment.

Program Manager Intern (Former Employee)
Novi, MI (US)

I worked at HARMAN International as an intern for less than a year

ProsFlexible schedules creating a good work/life balance. Good pay for an internship. Great Location. Good Learning environment. Most Harman colleagues were friendly and very helpful. Open minded work environment allowing employees to wear comfortable work attire and desired hair style, facial hairstyle etc.

ConsSome of the engineers that I needed information from to complete my delegated tasks felt they were to busy with their personal workload to assist a college intern complete their tasks and learn.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was a summer intern and wasn't there long enough to comment on this area.

Worked for HARMAN International? Contribute to the Community!

HARMAN International Videos

HARMAN International – Why Work for Us?

​​ARE YOU READY TO GIVE A LEGENDARY PERFORMANCE?​​ ​ HARMAN is the parent company behind an array of world-renowned brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, JBL®, Mark Levinson®, Lexicon®, and Infinity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HARMAN International reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for HARMAN International CEO Dinesh C. Paliwal. All 99 reviews are posted anonymously by HARMAN International employees.