HARMAN

HARMAN Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

HARMAN Chairman, President and CEO Dinesh C. Paliwal

Dinesh C. Paliwal

Pros
  • Flexible schedules creating a good work/life balance(in 12 reviews)

• The company offers good hourly wages; good benefits package; and a clean work environment(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, Technical trainnigs rea missing(in 6 reviews)

• Cost cutting is painful and counter-productive as everything has been outsourced(in 6 reviews)

Cash Cow for the cynical CEO and his selected "yes" men!

Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) Bridgend, Wales

ProsIn 2009/2010 I would have give Harman 4 or 5 stars.

The company *was* good to work for before Sidney Harman died - plenty on training and encouragement, quality & performance of the products was paramount.

Unfortunately this very quickly disappeared once the company's founder passed away, and the current CEO was give free reign.

ConsUpper management - especially the uppermost management.

The CEO's knee jerk reaction to a profits warning in late 2012 resulted in the majority of R&D talent of the organisation being stripped away to "save cost" and artificially increase profits.

European Engineers and technicians with decades of experience were turfed out, with the master-plan of replacing them with inexperienced Chinese engineers

This will enable a temporary increase in dividends for the shareholders over the next couple of years - this apparent turnaround is, of course, being spun as the genius of the CEO - NOT SO!

My prediction is that the CEO will be surreptitiously selling off his shares over the next 18 months or so - capitalizing on the artificial inflation of the share price, before the removal of the organizations life blood starts to tell.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow some, and stop blindly agreeing with CEO!

I give the company 2, maybe 3 years before large sections get sold off - no doubt resulting in some sort of personal profit for the upper management.

Harman Soundcraft/Studer in Potters Bar

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Potters Bar, England

ProsThis all relates to working on the factory floor. The hours are pretty flexible and there is no real panic to get work done. You can (within reason) take your time and get the job done right. The atmosphere is friendly and you can have a laugh with your mates or keep yourself to yourself and get on with your work. There is little supervision.

ConsI have never seen such a badly run Stores in my life. This is a legacy problem created by starting as a small independant company with one set of PN's, being taken over by a huge orginisation and changing PN's, absorbing another company (Studer) changing PN's again and finaly being forced to adopt a worldwide rationalisation of Stores and changing PN's again. Nothing is in the right place in a Stores that is huge in comparison to the size of the operation.

The push to manufacture in China was another disaster. Parts are bought from China and shipped to the UK, they are then shipped to the chinese manufacturer who assembles the PCB's and ships them back to the UK. Often the PCB's are assembled into products that are then sold to China. Mistakes are made at every step and this combined with a huge and badly run Stores means there are massive delays as people hunt for parts or fix stock errors

Advice to Senior ManagementRelocate the company and use the opportunity to kill off old products and rationalise stores. Get rid of the dead wood.

Awesomeness

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Culture is awesome. Really awesome.

ConsNone. The work place is cool calm and collective

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the awesome work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Review of Harman's Automotive Operations

Manager (Current Employee) Farmington Hills, MI (US)

ProsHarman has great brands and latest product technology. A very diverse team of talented people working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment where an entrepreneurial attitude is rewarded.

ConsPaid holidays and health benefits seem to lag the industry. Automotive activities in Farmington Hills are spread out amongst multiple buildings limiting potential efficiencies that are required to support our lean resource structure . Harman has experienced significant growth through M&A's which has grown our revenues but fragmented our organizational structure, systems and processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be careful that our sales growth does not outpace our resource constraints and manufacturing capacity.

Great place

ProsGreat place to work, very flexible and relaxed. Fast paced.

ConsSomewhat disorganized organization structure, stretched thin

Bad place, Bad boss, No Hike

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros1 in 8 months you get some good work to do that's all good there is rest of 7 months you are only doing Bug Fixing

ConsHarman Pro one of the three business unit of Harman has no money neither for your salary nor for infrastructure which you need for your work.
    Giving a laptop to an employee is like giving you 30% bonus for them what they don't understand that this is a basic requirement. Pro BU's director is from Services company and so is every other team lead. They all still think they are in a services company. They call themselves Product company and then follow Service company culture.
    Work life balance is also not so good.
    Just to give you an idea hike here never goes above 10% for seniors and 15% for fresher. This too only if you are very good at buttering.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire HPro BU's director and his chamchas for a start.
    Recruit some good guys with actual leadership skill .

Was great during Sidney Harman era. Now penny pinching cheap.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWell known brands, experience looks good on resume. Interesting, challenging work.
    Pride in working for company.
    Previously had "Disney-like" culture driven by Sidney Harman's personal vision that the employee was the key to the company success.

ConsIn application for position, biggest concern of company was relocation expenses. Reinforced in every conversation. Entire hiring decision was based on expected pay out of expenses and not best qualified candidate. Sr. Hiring Manager and Randstad outsource HR recruiter appeared pressured if too much/anything was spent on relocation.

Advice to Senior ManagementStamford headquarters is top heavy with unneeded executives.
     Restructure at top in order to hire more middle, day to day management employees who make direct contributions. Sidney Harman's mantra should be re-adapted and reinforced.
    Respond to employees and candidates when contacting HR managers and representatives.
    Company realized after 5 years that Wipro outsource model was deficient.
    Off to a promising start with new consumer contact center back in USA at Northridge CA.

No work life balance, NO Resource planning, over commitment, incompetent leads and managers, leads with bossy attitude

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsGood salary package only during joining
    After that hike will be given only if you are close to manager and say yes to everything he says [ even if he says put that glass over there]

Cons1. No Career path defined, only if you bring this issue they will think of that.
    2. some people [although don't know anything] think tha they know every aspect of automotive domain in this world.
    3. Leads and managers have very bossy attitude and would blame you for everything.
    4. Company does not provide tools, and resources to everyone..you need to beg, borrow and steal..

I really do not have words to describe the work-culture in Harman, people specially managers do not have any professional ethics...only thing they know is "Make it Happen"...how and in what way they don''t know...

Advice to Senior Management1. Learn to be equal to everyone.
    2. Provide opportunity to everyone so that they can prove their potential.
    3. Have some transparency.

Good Company, Great guys, Dedicated Employees

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsWork Life balance, Good Salary

ConsTransparency is missing. Higher management have no communication with employees

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should be transparent enough and open for any type for suggestions. Senior management needs to have more involvement with the employess

Soulless Bloodsucking Corporation

ProsI am not stuck here forever

ConsThe CEO is a sociopath. He says "stay paranoid" in almost every corporate newsletter her sends out and uses fear tactics to motivate employees. I feel like I live inside of a Dilbert cartoon - it truly is that ridiculous. If you are smart and talented please stay away from this company, they will chew you up and spit you out. Harman will not be around in the long term because they only care about short term growth - everything is smoke and mirrors.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou already sold your soul to Satan if you are anything above a Director level - Directors are yes men. Either grow a backbone or get another job. Stop this insane corruption.

Worked for HARMAN? Contribute to the Community!