HARMAN

Updated 26 November 2014
2.9

HARMAN Chairman, President and CEO Dinesh C. Paliwal
Dinesh C. Paliwal

Pros
  • Flexible schedules creating a good work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• The company offers good hourly wages; good benefits package; and a clean work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, Technical trainnigs rea missing (in 9 reviews)

• There is no work life balance in this company, they expect employees to work minimum 12 hours a day and most of the days it gets exceeds by 12 hours (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Cash Cow for the cynical CEO and his selected "yes" men!

Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Bridgend, Wales
    Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Bridgend, Wales

I worked at HARMAN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In 2009/2010 I would have give Harman 4 or 5 stars.

The company *was* good to work for before Sidney Harman died - plenty on training and encouragement, quality & performance of the products was paramount.

Unfortunately this very quickly disappeared once the company's founder passed away, and the current CEO was give free reign.

Cons

Upper management - especially the uppermost management.

The CEO's knee jerk reaction to a profits warning in late 2012 resulted in the majority of R&D talent of the organisation being stripped away to "save cost" and artificially increase profits.

European Engineers and technicians with decades of experience were turfed out, with the master-plan of replacing them with inexperienced Chinese engineers

This will enable a temporary increase in dividends for the shareholders over the next couple of years - this apparent turnaround is, of course, being spun as the genius of the CEO - NOT SO!

My prediction is that the CEO will be surreptitiously selling off his shares over the next 18 months or so - capitalizing on the artificial inflation of the share price, before the removal of the organizations life blood starts to tell.

Grow some, and stop blindly agreeing with CEO!

I give the company 2, maybe 3 years before large sections get sold off - no doubt resulting in some sort of personal profit for the upper management.

Harman Soundcraft/Studer in Potters Bar

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potters Bar, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potters Bar, England

I worked at HARMAN full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This all relates to working on the factory floor. The hours are pretty flexible and there is no real panic to get work done. You can (within reason) take your time and get the job done right. The atmosphere is friendly and you can have a laugh with your mates or keep yourself to yourself and get on with your work. There is little supervision.

Cons

I have never seen such a badly run Stores in my life. This is a legacy problem created by starting as a small independant company with one set of PN's, being taken over by a huge orginisation and changing PN's, absorbing another company (Studer) changing PN's again and finaly being forced to adopt a worldwide rationalisation of Stores and changing PN's again. Nothing is in the right place in a Stores that is huge in comparison to the size of the operation.

The push to manufacture in China was another disaster. Parts are bought from China and shipped to the UK, they are then shipped to the chinese manufacturer who assembles the PCB's and ships them back to the UK. Often the PCB's are assembled into products that are then sold to China. Mistakes are made at every step and this combined with a huge and badly run Stores means there are massive delays as people hunt for parts or fix stock errors

Relocate the company and use the opportunity to kill off old products and rationalise stores. Get rid of the dead wood.

Wonderful experience with a lot of learning opportunities

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I worked at HARMAN as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Mentor assigned to the project was very helpful and I learned a lot from him.
    No Micro-management, tasks were set once a week and I use to work the whole week to achieve it.
    Wonderful team atmosphere.
    It's Palo Alto!

Cons

Salary was not competitive other than that pretty much everything was nice.
    Honestly, no other cons.

Not Recommended!!

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at HARMAN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexi timings, Travelling to US for some projetcs , Nice HR Policies

Cons

No personal Growth.. Not a good company to join as a fresher though the pay is good. No new tech , just integration work.

Used to be a great place to work. Now, not so much...

Current Employee - Chief Engineer
    Current Employee - Chief Engineer

I have been working at HARMAN full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We [used to] make the world's best audio equipment.
    Lot's of opportunity because people "just disappear" - never a word of thanks for all they've done, etc. They just disappear...

Cons

Since Sidney Harman left., the new regime seem to view the company as their personal cookie jar. Reading SEC reports shows the Executive Committee regularly exercises/sells every one of the considerable options they grant themselves.

In the Infotainment division (where 5/6 of Harman's revenue is generated), Harman is no longer a technology company because that costs too much. Now our focus is on providing software services

Product Dev. Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI (US)

I have been working at HARMAN full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall good work life balance.
    My organization just went through a management restructure and I think it is for the best.
    Management is decent about flexing time (i.e., I traveled over the weekend, so here's a day or two you can take off without burning a PTO day).
    Feels start-uppy in some ways, but there are still remnants of the automotive industry of a bygone era.
    You will learn a lot if you apply yourself.

Cons

Very small organizational budget for training means it's infrequent. I find that shortsighted.

Lots of growth in recent years (good) but the process infrastructure hasn't caught up (bad)

Travel for supporting engineering activities seems to be sporadic and it could and should be used more to build better relationships with demanding OEM customers.

Benefits leave something to be desired. No annual bonus program.

Lots of people are just there to clock in their 40 hours. If some project or activity is going to extend beyond 5PM, you can count on being the only one there to support it.

Invest in your workforce.

A prestigious and elegant company with a passion for reorganizing frequently

I worked at HARMAN full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

International travel, great bunch of people, team spirit.

Cons

Just when you think you figured it out, they move the goalposts! (Lots of changes in management and organization.

Pick the right team and organization and leave it in place long enough for it to take root.

Not much to learn..

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI (US)

I have been working at HARMAN full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, employee discounts..
    Great relocation policy...

Cons

Nothing much to learn..
    Not a creative place..

Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI (US)

I worked at HARMAN full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting projects for the most parts.

Cons

Upper management out of touch with the branding.

Recognize and reward exceptional employees.

Senior software engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at HARMAN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One place you can learn and grow fast. So If you are the person welling to work hard and learn, please join.

Cons

There are a lot of project parallel , so you have to handle this multi-task.

Value the engineer