HNI

Be The First To
Add Photos

HNI Chairman, President, and CEO Stan Askren

Stan Askren

Really good company for member development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at HNI full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people from the top down. Member culture is tied together with company profit sharing and overall good company benefits. Split and Focus business units are keenly focused on their target customers and marketplace, product development, and organizational structures are aligned to perform well. Company is a force in the mid market.

ConsSplit and focus business structure is highly challenged to move up market to larger, national and global customers. Faced with internal politics, compensation, and organizational structure issues to bring together all companies to pursue larger accounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop members and offer growth and development opportunities

A tough job to love

I have been working at HNI

ProsOne of the only games in town.

ConsCulture is a bit strange. Supervisors.

Programmer Analyst

Computer Programmer (Former Employee)
Muscatine, IA (US)

I worked at HNI full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly workplace, ample opportunity to improve skills and grow beyond initial skills. Great training for entry level employee.

ConsCulture is dated, not a lot of younger employees, but they are actively working on this. Also, many employees live out of town meaning fewer locals to make friends with. Depending on the team, extremely complex and old systems to support. Very confusing for entry level employees. Especially when on call.

Pretty Good Experience

Industrial Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
Muscatine, IA (US)

I worked at HNI as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat company culture, great pay, White Collar People are amazing, Blue Collar is pretty decent as well. NO UNIONs!!!

ConsIt's in Muscatine, Iowa. Sometimes you have to work from 4am - 5pm if you have to see both 1st and 2nd shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Used to be a good place to work. However, the company is going in a totally different direction.

I have been working at HNI full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI've been here a long time and I know the business.

ConsThe legacy system is being replaced with a third-party, packaged software. Not sure where my place in the new environment will be. Communication is lacking in the direction of the department. People have started leaving the department in droves. During the recession, the department had a wage freeze. Now that business is picking up, we would like be compensated for our service during the recession. Raises seem to be worse than before the recession. We are asked to take on more responsibility with no compensation or additional title. People are getting fed up.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees. Treat them with respect and compensate them for their dedication on making the company profitable.

Was a great place to work... now a good place to work... heading the wrong way

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at HNI full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood place to learn manufacturing and good visibility to management - run like a smaller company

ConsLatest senior management additions a different breed - Too many thinkers at the top

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within - Remove Leadership not adhering to company's long standing principles

HNI offers great opportunities for career advancement if you show demonstrated ability.

Finance Development Program (Current Employee)
Muscatine, IA (US)

I have been working at HNI full-time for more than a year

Pros-Excellent training opportunities
-High exposure to upper management
-A variety of different job positions available at many different operating companies

Cons-Below average compensation
-High employee turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementMore competitive compesation

Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at HNI

ProsGood company to work for

ConsLots of constant changes happening

Great company if you're looking for a steep learning curve in a very short time period

Senior Product Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at HNI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros1. Exposure to a lot of different manufacturing processes - wood, laminate, steel, fiberglass, plastic etc
2. Get trained on structured design and development processes with good standard operating procedures (The documents and spreadsheets are there to follow, even if implementation is not always executed as per the prescribed process).
3. Large engineering groups to fall back on.
4. Big company, not too shabby resources for employees to really take charge and self-learn on things like lean manufacturing, Design for Manufacturability, Product Management etc.
5. Different brands, different price points. Can switch between different HNI OpCo's for quick exposure.

Cons1. Too much hierarchy.
2. Meet a lot of people who treat their positions as jobs, not careers.
3. Lot of incompetent people hired to top positions.
4. Company gives more relevance to communication skills and not level of education etc (For instance, they will consider an internal candidate who has a Bachelor's in General Studies for an Engineering or Product Management position, over a candidate who has a Bachelor's and Master's in Mechanical Engineering, more diversified experience for the same positions).
5. Very low starting salaries. Profit sharing is a joke.

Advice to freshers: Get a job here, work your behind off, learn all you can and leave. Do not plan on staying more than 2-3 yrs or you WILL get pigeonholed in your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on better ways to retain your engineering talent.

Many great people work here, but the company works people to death.

Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at HNI full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, lots of room for growth, beautiful office buildings, work can be interesting, good relationships with coworkers, ability to work with fellow professionals, can get exposure to international business and other sophisticated experiences.

ConsThe company is located in Muscatine, IA, where there is not much to do. The company does not respect a work-life balance and asks for a lot of hours out of its employees. The company is very short-term profit motivated.

Worked for HNI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HNI reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for HNI CEO Stan Askren. All 21 reviews are posted anonymously by HNI employees.