HNTB Companies

HNTB Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

HNTB Companies Executive Chairman, HNTB Holdings Harvey K. Hammond Jr.

Harvey K. Hammond Jr.

Pros
  • Good benefits and yearly salary evaluations(in 12 reviews)

• I got to cut my teeth on some great projects and work with some great people(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management could be annoying to deal with at times(in 16 reviews)

• Company seems to be trying to find its way in the Design-Build realm(in 7 reviews)

Good employer

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsLots of freedom, great for personal growth. Lots of various projects across the states.

ConsToo tight budget control, too hard to get approved on spending.

Great company to work for. Rewards success

Project Manager I (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsStrong push for client focus
    Many high performers working together for a common goal
    Strong push for additional sales

ConsMay be difficult to distinguish yourself
    Company seems to be trying to find its way in the Design-Build realm. Can't decide if it wants to be on the owner side, or the contractor side and keeps spending money trying to figure it out.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training for employees.
    Keep people in the know.

Los Angeles Architecture Rebirth

Architect (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsHaving been around for about 5 years, I have seen this office working well and the downturn over the past years. Now I see our office transforming to a strong architecture practice, especially in aviation, sports and transit. I am also enjoying our design collaboration with our engineers on infrastructure projects.

ConsThey will work you hard and engineering management style can be heavy handed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe engineering senior management should understand that architecture does not always fit into the engineering mold. They should be open to how architecture practice works and adjust.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HNTB has a great reputation with large complex projects.

Project Engineer/Squad Leader (Former Employee)

ProsHNTB pays very well and is pro-active in pursuing large projects. They are usually very accommodating to special family circumstances.

ConsLocal offices are not allowed to pursue smaller projects even when core clients ask them to. By July the budgets for office parties or activities is gone and there is an incredible push on local management to have everyone working on a project, or staying home. By January 1 everything is good again, until the next July.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take all of the profits and pay it in huge salaries to upper management, instead of keeping the worker bees busy and employed.

Great place to work!

Corporate Employee (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsManagers alllow me to do my job with limited supervision. I work with lots of employees who have been with the company 20 plus years and would never think of working anywhere else.

ConsYou are expected to work hard which sometimes means long hours, but most of our employees are paid overtime even if they are exempt status so it totally makes it worth the effort.

On the right track!!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe Convention Center practice is really thriving! Lots and lots of project wins in that market sector during the past few years and we're well positioned to continue that trend. The exciting part is that our expertise continues to be inflated.

ConsHNTB should investigate hiring some companies owned by current employees to supplement our in house marketing/graphics group. Clients will flock to HNTB if we have cooler graphics and we'll reward our friends/co-workers while improving office morale at the same time. Win-Win-Win!!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, you're doing great!

Good people.

Engineer II (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsUpper management does not provide a full understanding on how well the company is performing frequently enough.

Good company with good projects

Engineer III (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThe company has good benefits.

ConsUpper management not so good.

Good company with lots of opportunity

Engineer I (Current Employee) Harrisburg, PA (US)

ProsFrom what I have heard the salary compared to other companies is pretty competitive. Depends on the office but there can be lots of opportunity for growth.

ConsSome of the people seem to be out for themselves, but not all.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the engineers who are actually doing the work.

Nice place to work, but not to stay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsWorking at HNTB was great, there was a good culture, and good hours. The work life balance was great, and they didn't care if you came in late as long as you left late. The people in the office were friendly and helpful as well.

ConsThe upper management could be annoying to deal with at times. With certain projects, they cared more about their own job stability than the success of the project, or the happiness of the people that they managed. They made decisions on some engineering projects from a financial perspective instead of considering what would be in the best interest from an engineers preservative.

Worked for HNTB Companies? Contribute to the Community!