HSBC Holdings

HSBC Holdings Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

HSBC Holdings Chief Executive Stuart T. Gulliver

Stuart T. Gulliver

Pros
  • The organizations offers decently fair work life balance and job security(in 114 reviews)

• Work from home is always a plus, but you can't always do so(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance for a great deal of the employees(in 34 reviews)

• Lots of senior management changes and their dedication in investing US is not clear(in 49 reviews)

All fine

ProsGood employer building at the time was a bit dark but they improved the interior a lot since I left

ConsGood employer building at the time was a bit dark but they improved the interior a lot since I left

Tough targets but reasonable conditions

Premier Call Handler (Former Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

ProsFlex hours, large teams, lots training and development

ConsSome management very target driven some not. Management need more training on team skills

Good for building up customer service skills

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Leeds, England

ProsGood for building up customer service skills, good company to put on your CV

ConsCustomers are demanding, not a lot of employee benefits (e.g. mortgage)

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't grade the employee based on how many mortgage flyers they've handed out.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Compliance Officer

Compliance Officer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsOffice culture, can be good.

ConsPromotion for long time employee is not easy

Advice to Senior ManagementI trust overall this is a good place to work, Global Standers in HSBC does work.

Good pay but a political organization

Software Developer (Current Employee) Stirling, Scotland

ProsSalaries, bonus, benefit package are good. Work life balance is good too. If working from home is your thing then there is that too.

ConsA Highly political organization that has many silos. There have been projects were there are more PM / managers than software developers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what is being said at the coal face.

Good opportunities to move around different business areas and countries

Project Manager (Current Employee) Sheffield, England

ProsWhilst salary can be lower than comparable jobs in industry, the total reward package including pension and share options make this better than other companies. Once you are in the organisation it is possible to gain exposure if differing business areas and also take on secondments and transfers to other countries. Excellent place to work for young families due to flexibility with working hours and maternity/return to work options.

ConsAs with any business of this size and considering the climate and strategy, job security can not be guaranteed. There are annual issues across teams when forcing a bell curve to rank individuals. This is meant to be changing but can't see it shifting to a complete revamp of the mid-year and annual review cycle.

Excellent employer

Business Analyst (Former Employee) London, England

ProsInteresting work
    Very good working conditions and environment, largely shielded from the corporate politics
    Very nice people

ConsLimitations on the technology allowed to be utilised in finding the best solution to the problem at hand.

Advice to Senior ManagementLimitations on the technology allowed to be utilised in finding the best solution to the problem at hand mans you do not end up with the best solution.

Not for the little people.

Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) Salford, North West England, England

ProsNice people (staff grade), lax attitude towards development unless you want it, rarely overworked, easygoing approach to flexibility, overtime available constantly (voluntary), good number of holidays.

ConsPoor pay and reward even of you achieve, or over achieve; poor quality management; belligerent senior management; culture of fear and persecution encouraged; management by spreadsheet; too much bell curve and Six Sigma; no job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe gulf between what is on paper a good employer and what is happening on the shop floor could not be wider. Command structures need to be filled with those brave enough to speak their minds and capable enough to admit when they are wrong not simply bully, bully, bully. The pay for the majority of staff (the bottom three grades) needs seriously overhauling if any degree of loyalty is expected. The reliance on thousands of agency staff needs to be addressed as it creates a horrid two tier system which breeds abuse and dissent, as well as undermining the management messages. Finally a degree of honesty as yet unborn needs bringing into the world otherwise people will continue to read about their employer in the news and find out that a lot of what they are told at work is a bit less than true which affects almost every aspect of what people do. If people's loyalty isn't to be bought, it must be earned. At the moment managers are doing neither for their staff members.

A dynamic and interesting place to work

Associate, Global Markets (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGood salary. Smart, friendly colleagues. A globally respected company. A great office location in the centre of Canary Wharf.

ConsLarge open plan office isn't the most ideal work environment in my opinion. Some colleagues are smart but there are plenty who aren't that capable.

HSBC - Streamlining

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood culture and Work-Life Balance

ConsDo not value their staff

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the customer first, not the bottom line

Worked for HSBC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!