HSBC Holdings

3.5
1,019 Reviews

HSBC Holdings Chief Executive Stuart T. Gulliver
Stuart T. Gulliver

Pros
  • Work-life balance gets much better starting second year when you are more adapted (in 117 reviews)

• Work from home is always a plus, but you can't always do so (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance for a great deal of the employees (in 37 reviews)

• Lots of senior management changes and their dedication in investing US is not clear (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

Good opportunities to move around different business areas and countries

Current Employee - Project Manager in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Sheffield, England

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Whilst salary can be lower than comparable jobs in industry, the total reward package including pension and share options make this better than other companies. Once you are in the organisation it is possible to gain exposure if differing business areas and also take on secondments and transfers to other countries. Excellent place to work for young families due to flexibility with working hours and maternity/return to work options.

Cons

As with any business of this size and considering the climate and strategy, job security can not be guaranteed. There are annual issues across teams when forcing a bell curve to rank individuals. This is meant to be changing but can't see it shifting to a complete revamp of the mid-year and annual review cycle.

Excellent employer

Former Employee - Business Analyst in London, England
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in London, England

I worked at HSBC Holdings as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Interesting work
    Very good working conditions and environment, largely shielded from the corporate politics
    Very nice people

Cons

Limitations on the technology allowed to be utilised in finding the best solution to the problem at hand.

Limitations on the technology allowed to be utilised in finding the best solution to the problem at hand mans you do not end up with the best solution.

HSBC - Streamlining

I worked at HSBC Holdings

Pros

Good culture and Work-Life Balance

Cons

Do not value their staff

Put the customer first, not the bottom line

Not for the little people.

Former Employee - Customer Service Officer in Salford, North West England, England

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people (staff grade), lax attitude towards development unless you want it, rarely overworked, easygoing approach to flexibility, overtime available constantly (voluntary), good number of holidays.

Cons

Poor pay and reward even of you achieve, or over achieve; poor quality management; belligerent senior management; culture of fear and persecution encouraged; management by spreadsheet; too much bell curve and Six Sigma; no job security.

The gulf between what is on paper a good employer and what is happening on the shop floor could not be wider. Command structures need to be filled with those brave enough to speak their minds and capable enough to admit when they are wrong not simply bully, bully, bully. The pay for the majority of staff (the bottom three grades) needs seriously overhauling if any degree of loyalty is expected. The reliance on thousands of agency staff needs to be addressed as it creates a horrid two tier system which breeds abuse and dissent, as well as undermining the management messages. Finally a degree of honesty as yet unborn needs bringing into the world otherwise people will continue to read about their employer in the news and find out that a lot of what they are told at work is a bit less than true which affects almost every aspect of what people do. If people's loyalty isn't to be bought, it must be earned. At the moment managers are doing neither for their staff members.

A dynamic and interesting place to work

Former Employee - Associate, Global Markets in London, England
    Former Employee - Associate, Global Markets in London, England

I worked at HSBC Holdings as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good salary. Smart, friendly colleagues. A globally respected company. A great office location in the centre of Canary Wharf.

Cons

Large open plan office isn't the most ideal work environment in my opinion. Some colleagues are smart but there are plenty who aren't that capable.

Good

I worked at HSBC Holdings as an intern

Pros

Global network is extremely helpful. Colleagues always willing to help, frequent feedback opportunities as well as opportunities to do activities outside work eg volunteering.

Cons

It can feel quite bureaucratic sometimes ---but that might be true in any large, international firm such as this. And the role I was in was quite restrictive, so I felt like I was doing the same thing over and over again.

Healthy office culture, benefits are good, salary and bonus could be better

Former Employee - Procurement/Data Management in London, England
    Former Employee - Procurement/Data Management in London, England

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very good work vs life balance, it's relatively laid back and due to its sheer size, there are opportunities to move around. Open plan office lay out is great. Gym on 5th floor is used by lots of employees and makes a welcome relief from Canary wharf lunch breaks.

Cons

Pays less than other tier 1 investment banks

Management can be hit and miss, company values promote openness, taking responsibility and being respectable towards others.

My HSBC experience

Former Employee - Communications Business Partner in London, England
    Former Employee - Communications Business Partner in London, England

I worked at HSBC Holdings as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent office facilities in Canary Wharf; great people in London and Southampton; good understanding of the need for work/life balance

Cons

Some in-house politics which can get in the way of doing the work; difficult to get in touch with people sometimes as employees are constantly travelling

Friendly working environment but little challenge

Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and work-life balance. I had 8.30-7 hours for most of the time I worked at HSBC, and found little need for face time. I also had supportive coworkers from whom I learned a lot. Very friendly atmosphere - definitely not cut throat the way some banks are described as being.

Cons

Underchallenged for 75% of the time that I spent in this role (2 years), and I'm guessing that many other people had the same experience - even on a supposed fast track the learning curve levels off quickly. Not for the extremely ambitious.

Large organization, very slow pace

Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pension, good work life balance, people are friendly.

Cons

Poor resource and project management, a lot of works are duplicated and project has little impacts. Totally disregard individual development need by setting uniform objective for everyone in the same grade. Feel like a wast of time here.

Have some strong and clear leadership. Better coordinated effort on project