Harland Clarke Reviews

Updated 21 August 2014

3.3

Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson
Chuck Dawson

Pros
  • The company does have good benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, room to grow (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Cost cutting is the only game in town (in 6 reviews)

• The company competes in a declining industry and senior management is more concerned with trimming down rather than growing (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong culture, high performing company, great people

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time

Pros

Some of the most talented people I have ever met. High performance culture, built on a foundation of Malcolm Baldrige, that expects the most of its people.

Cons

High performance and high pressure can go hand in hand. If you want to be challenged, grow as a professional and learn what an honest day's work looks like, this is a great company for you.

The people are the secret sauce. Honor that fact.

Incompetence everywhere.

Former Employee - Digital Team Member  in  Grapevine, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Digital Team Member in Grapevine, TX (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time

Pros

Benefits are good. I met some great people.

Cons

incompetency in management, awful hours, too much almost forced overtime, they hire a lot of incompetent people.

Pay employees who do a good job, more money or give them bonuses. It's sad when you work extremely hard, and regularly exceed production goals, but you make just as much money as the person who doesn't do anything their whole shift, and rarely meets their production goals.

Tech

Current Employee - Mechanic  in  Grapevine, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Grapevine, TX (US)

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The attendance policy is very liberal. Lots of days off 45 days after you start. climate controlled and the work is very easy

Cons

12 hour days are not ideal. although they let you switch with co-workers so you can have 5 days off with out using vacation. Pay is below the scale for this work.

Like every production place they have a knee jerk reaction to everything. they need to get rid of the temp service. hire quality employs who take pride in their work and pay them well to keep them around.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of my best call center experiences, in a leadership role.

Former Employee - Training Specialist II  in  Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Training Specialist II in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than a year

Pros

The commitment of leadership to upholding core values and maintaining a culture of integrity made my two years with Harland Clarke some of the best in my career.

Cons

The closing of the facility where I worked and moving operations to another state cut short my time with this company. Advancement opportunities in my field were very limited.

ALRIGHT for what YOU DO

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

HR very good to me when it comes to schedule.
    At time decent PTO and Benefits.
    Very easy to input check orders.
    SLP was a lot better.

Cons

B of A customers very rude and mean spirited. No support from sups.
    Be ready for a full day of being yelled at, cursed at, and crucified by customers.
    Check order is a dying industry and no future in that line of work.

I know B of A is the head honcho but stop kissing their butts so much.

I worked as an Industrial Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Industrial Engineering Intern  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineering Intern in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people, leadership that is open to new ideas. Lots of opportunity for experience, at least in the engineering division

Cons

The check business is a dying market so there are limitations there. Minimal training opportunity. Split between departments and inter-departmental politics. Lower end pay

It would be best if you would listen more to mid level employees as far as the direction of the company

Internal SME

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many of the people I worked with were the ultimate professionals, many had degrees and lacked common sense.

Cons

Unfortunately this organization runs on an internal network. You have to know people to move up the ranks, and there is a lot of favoritism, and that breeds contempt among co-workers and department - everyone protects their little fiefdom

Open the doors and let some fresh air in - management process are extremely stale, Adopt some cross-training principle and leave that Sigma Six behind - stop chasing industry awards and begin to focus on the people you are driving away. There is a a lot of talent right under your roof and drop that personality testing - that is so 60's

knowledgeable

Current Employee - Rebate Specialist  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Rebate Specialist in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learned a lot! Encourage process improvements. Open to ideas. A very professional atmosphere. Enjoy working with the people there. Management knows what there doing. Loved most of the perks (for example tickets to games).

Cons

Worked long hours and pay did not compensate for it. Very strict on PTO even though your Salary even if you worked long hours during the other days of the week. This possibly depends on managers though.

Management worked as much as possible with their employees but stress level at certain times during peak hours can sometimes cause people to not communicate well so possibly some ideas on how people can relieve this stress a bit better?

Communication is very lacking

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits at HC are one of their greatest assets. Peers work well together. Lower level management seems to care for their workers.

Cons

There is NO downward communication. As much as they say they are communicating, it is almost non-existent. The one person I had the most respect for, at the "C"/VP level was Dan Singleton. He seemed like a straight shooter, many of the others spent more time not answering the questions of their employees as opposed to building up morale. HC is so top oriented, the people in trenches are often left no knowing what is going on. Sometimes you can send an email and it is a week or more, or never before you get a response back. All of the focus is on keeping business as opposed to the employees. No, or very little, internal recognition or upward movement available. I saw many times, over the years I worked with Harland/Harland Clarke, many qualified internal candidates for jobs were not rewarded for their hard work as outside persons were hired.

Focus on the employees needs and pay attention to their needs. Spend time preparing current employees to move up in the company as opposed to overlooking them.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Pay.
    Team is full of highly technical and talented people. Hence one should keep learning to be on top.
    Free to use any latest technology.
    No strict timings.

Cons

No vision for upper management.

Worked for Harland Clarke? Contribute to the Community!