Harland Clarke

Be The First To
Add Photos

Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson

Chuck Dawson

Pros
  • The company does have good benefits(in 10 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, room to grow(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Cost cutting is the only game in town(in 6 reviews)

• The company competes in a declining industry and senior management is more concerned with trimming down rather than growing(in 5 reviews)

Internal SME

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany of the people I worked with were the ultimate professionals, many had degrees and lacked common sense.

ConsUnfortunately this organization runs on an internal network. You have to know people to move up the ranks, and there is a lot of favoritism, and that breeds contempt among co-workers and department - everyone protects their little fiefdom

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen the doors and let some fresh air in - management process are extremely stale, Adopt some cross-training principle and leave that Sigma Six behind - stop chasing industry awards and begin to focus on the people you are driving away. There is a a lot of talent right under your roof and drop that personality testing - that is so 60's

knowledgeable

Rebate Specialist (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsLearned a lot! Encourage process improvements. Open to ideas. A very professional atmosphere. Enjoy working with the people there. Management knows what there doing. Loved most of the perks (for example tickets to games).

ConsWorked long hours and pay did not compensate for it. Very strict on PTO even though your Salary even if you worked long hours during the other days of the week. This possibly depends on managers though.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement worked as much as possible with their employees but stress level at certain times during peak hours can sometimes cause people to not communicate well so possibly some ideas on how people can relieve this stress a bit better?

Communication is very lacking

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits at HC are one of their greatest assets. Peers work well together. Lower level management seems to care for their workers.

ConsThere is NO downward communication. As much as they say they are communicating, it is almost non-existent. The one person I had the most respect for, at the "C"/VP level was Dan Singleton. He seemed like a straight shooter, many of the others spent more time not answering the questions of their employees as opposed to building up morale. HC is so top oriented, the people in trenches are often left no knowing what is going on. Sometimes you can send an email and it is a week or more, or never before you get a response back. All of the focus is on keeping business as opposed to the employees. No, or very little, internal recognition or upward movement available. I saw many times, over the years I worked with Harland/Harland Clarke, many qualified internal candidates for jobs were not rewarded for their hard work as outside persons were hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the employees needs and pay attention to their needs. Spend time preparing current employees to move up in the company as opposed to overlooking them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

ProsGood Pay.
    Team is full of highly technical and talented people. Hence one should keep learning to be on top.
    Free to use any latest technology.
    No strict timings.

ConsNo vision for upper management.

The open door policy does not apply at this company.

Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) Glen Burnie, MD (US)

ProsThis company offers a nice 401 k package.

ConsHigh production, little pay. Poor communication from some not all in management.. Focus is only on clients not employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough, customers come first, apply more focus on employees.

Under appreciated. Overlooked.

Customer Representative (Former Employee) New Braunfels, TX (US)

ProsCompany tries to find creative ways to encourage you to work more. Great benefits.

ConsMicro managed. Seniority always trumped weather or not you actually qualified for the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider being more flexible with hours.

Bank Mystery Shopper

Mystery Shopper (Current Employee) Montgomery, AL (US)

ProsThe job is flexible, can pick and choose which shops you want to take. The people are friendly and easy to work with. The job is fun!

ConsReally, I didn't find many cons at all...maybe there were not enough jobs to sign up for.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep the shoppers happy.

"Not paid enough for the work, no support once you are hired on."

ContactCenter Support (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsNice environment, very customer driven, tuition assistance was nice
    systems are easy enough to use, Benefits are good

ConsSupervisors are not around enough during on the phone hours. not good about keeping your schedule up to date for the week. Saturday rotational shifts could fall during a week you have scheduled to be out of town without your knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make sure that the technology tools you give us to balance our work/life are up to date so we do not have to rely on being in the building to make sure what our schedule is for the week.

Top Class to work with in the heart of the city!!!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

ProsGood Infrastructure, Good people, They hire people from good education background, tier companies. Flexible, Work life balance, friendly managers, good insurance benefits, This is a good place to work with. They exist for the past 3 years in Chennai and very old company in US.

ConsCompany is in the growth path.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Growing

awesome work enviroment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC (US)

Prosgreat people, fun job if you like fast paced enviroment

Consworked at st pete plant last 4 years of 10 year employment upper management was mostly hispanic which was good for the large hispanic population of employees but not for the non-hispanic employees definate favoritism shown no amount of complaints alleviated the problems thankfully when clark america bought harland that plant was shut down many employees relocated to other sites. however the greensboro nc plant was an absolutely great place to work with excellent benefits and awesome management

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize your most valuable employees and their work ethics

Worked for Harland Clarke? Contribute to the Community!