Harland Clarke

Updated 15 September 2014
3.2

Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson
Chuck Dawson

Pros
  • The company does have good benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, room to grow (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Cost cutting is the only game in town (in 6 reviews)

• The company competes in a declining industry and senior management is more concerned with trimming down rather than growing (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent Pay. Good People

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay was decent ($11/hour with the agency taking a few cents off the top.) I got the job through an employment agency so your pay gets bumped up a little if you get hired on full-time after 6 months. The managers were all kind and understanding but firm. Most people you talk to on the phone are reasonably kind and not usually angry.

Cons

They monitor everything you do, so it's possible to feel like you are being micromanaged. Time off is very hard to get, you have to hope you can find someone to take your shift otherwise you are penalized and could be fired. People are sometimes angry if there are problems with their orders or if they don't understand what's going on.

keep treating people well. Offer more incentives for higher performance

"At Least you have a Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Glen Burnie, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Burnie, MD (US)

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Local level management is awesome, flexible, understanding. but hands are tied and can't get promotions, raises, new equipment.

Cons

No promotions unless you are a Clarke person or a friend of a Clarke person.
    Don't expect more than 2% annual if your lucky, nothing merit to your pay.
    No option or help on making this a Career....just get through the day without being let go....and behavior and performance really have no bearing on that....

Take care of the employees you have that are willing to do the work, your are going to be left with temps, and the I don't cares.

Strong culture, high performing company, great people

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time

Pros

Some of the most talented people I have ever met. High performance culture, built on a foundation of Malcolm Baldrige, that expects the most of its people.

Cons

High performance and high pressure can go hand in hand. If you want to be challenged, grow as a professional and learn what an honest day's work looks like, this is a great company for you.

The people are the secret sauce. Honor that fact.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Arrogant Management

Former Employee - Tech  in  High Point, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Tech in High Point, NC (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beats unemployment. Climate controlled and clean workplace.

Cons

Arrogant management who behave as though they're doing you a favor "giving" you run of the mill benefits and below average pay, as though you didn't earn them.
    Hire too many $10 an hour types who have no concern for performing well or making improvements.
    VERY top-down management. All decisions are made for you, no input expected or appreciated. If it wasn't their idea, it is stupid.
    Until they re-propose it themselves.
    Employee pay and increases are based on how little they can get away with, not on your merit or company / department performance.

Stop patting yourselves on the back and challenge employees and reward those who perform, instead of those who suck up and do your dirty work the best. Respect the organizations and employees you partner with and attempt a collaborative approach.

Incompetence everywhere.

Former Employee - Digital Team Member  in  Grapevine, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Digital Team Member in Grapevine, TX (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time

Pros

Benefits are good. I met some great people.

Cons

incompetency in management, awful hours, too much almost forced overtime, they hire a lot of incompetent people.

Pay employees who do a good job, more money or give them bonuses. It's sad when you work extremely hard, and regularly exceed production goals, but you make just as much money as the person who doesn't do anything their whole shift, and rarely meets their production goals.

Tech

Current Employee - Mechanic  in  Grapevine, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Grapevine, TX (US)

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The attendance policy is very liberal. Lots of days off 45 days after you start. climate controlled and the work is very easy

Cons

12 hour days are not ideal. although they let you switch with co-workers so you can have 5 days off with out using vacation. Pay is below the scale for this work.

Like every production place they have a knee jerk reaction to everything. they need to get rid of the temp service. hire quality employs who take pride in their work and pay them well to keep them around.

One of my best call center experiences, in a leadership role.

Former Employee - Training Specialist II  in  Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Training Specialist II in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than a year

Pros

The commitment of leadership to upholding core values and maintaining a culture of integrity made my two years with Harland Clarke some of the best in my career.

Cons

The closing of the facility where I worked and moving operations to another state cut short my time with this company. Advancement opportunities in my field were very limited.

ALRIGHT for what YOU DO

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

HR very good to me when it comes to schedule.
    At time decent PTO and Benefits.
    Very easy to input check orders.
    SLP was a lot better.

Cons

B of A customers very rude and mean spirited. No support from sups.
    Be ready for a full day of being yelled at, cursed at, and crucified by customers.
    Check order is a dying industry and no future in that line of work.

I know B of A is the head honcho but stop kissing their butts so much.

I worked as an Industrial Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Industrial Engineering Intern  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineering Intern in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people, leadership that is open to new ideas. Lots of opportunity for experience, at least in the engineering division

Cons

The check business is a dying market so there are limitations there. Minimal training opportunity. Split between departments and inter-departmental politics. Lower end pay

It would be best if you would listen more to mid level employees as far as the direction of the company

Internal SME

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many of the people I worked with were the ultimate professionals, many had degrees and lacked common sense.

Cons

Unfortunately this organization runs on an internal network. You have to know people to move up the ranks, and there is a lot of favoritism, and that breeds contempt among co-workers and department - everyone protects their little fiefdom

Open the doors and let some fresh air in - management process are extremely stale, Adopt some cross-training principle and leave that Sigma Six behind - stop chasing industry awards and begin to focus on the people you are driving away. There is a a lot of talent right under your roof and drop that personality testing - that is so 60's

Worked for Harland Clarke? Contribute to the Community!