Harleysville Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Harleysville Group President, CEO, and Director Michael L. Browne

Michael L. Browne

Coming here was a mistake even though I am my career is booming!

Regional Managemnt (Current Employee)

ProsAssociates have good hearts and are hard working.

ConsNationwide is destroying this company!
    Promises made during my heavy recruitment turned out to be false.
    If your career is booming elsewhere and you like the culture, do not come here.
    Benefits, Bonus and 401k are nothing more than a joke post takeover.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am watching what was once a strong culture implode. I see a large population of high performing staff members litter the web with their resumes. It's sad because when recruited I wanted to spend my career here now all I want to do is run away because we can't service our customers without appropriate funding levels!

claims adjuster

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) Worcester, MA (US)

Prosnice boss, close to home, many have left and returned

Consbenefits are not the greatest: salaries are below national average and health benefits cost a fortune and deductibles are very high

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job if you need a few bucks not great for the career dreamers

Treated like a pre-schooler

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Harleysville, PA (US)

ProsSystem constantly being upgraded/enhanced for better performance. UW are friendly for the most part. Supervisors have an open door policy.

ConsUse bogus excuses for not being financially compensated, especially if when hired you were offered a certain $$, then after the probationary period your promoted in title only and told since you came in at a higher rate, there is no $$ increase.... held accountable for errors made from underwriters and/or agents. Training is not all that knowledgable, benefits aren't all that great, morale is low.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, good place to work

Accountant (Current Employee) Harleysville, PA (US)

ProsThe payscale is fair, the 401K contributions of the company is outstanding, very generous (almost ridiculous) amount of sick time, great tuition assistance program. Excellent agency relationships.

ConsThe company will pay for your education, but doesn't tap into your knowledge when you have finished your education; raises and bonuses continue to decline; very little opportunity for growth. You may end up doing the same tasks for many, many years without a change in responsibilities. Computers are very old as are the programs on the computers.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employees for contributions to the bottom line as well as you do your agents and stockholders.

Good place to work. Most years, we like a small family

Services Support Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsCompany had great benifets, esp. the 401K program. On job training. Pleasant workplace.

ConsWe all thought the 25 yr. club was great. We were able to see old friends and talk about great experiences with the company. . It too bad the company just stopped it without telling us why.
    I guess it was because the Greensboro office closed. We all miss it very much.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince I am retired, I don't know.

Great place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslots of authority. good management. open to new ideas. good pay and benefits. get things done quickly. nice place overall

Conslack of technology. service issue complaints. confusion as to appetite. change in appetite. high turnover. agents complain about servive time

Advice to Senior Managementbe more consistent. give more direction. don't change appetite and startegy so often. get better technology. communicate with employees better

Great company, declining morale.

Applications Developer (Current Employee) Harleysville, PA (US)

ProsGood benefits and competitive pay. While Senior Management doesn't always get it right, they definitely try to create a strong corporate culture.

ConsDespite good benefits and pay, morale is low. Years of impossible deadlines have lead to 60+ hr work weeks, which in turn has lead to burn out. The addition of a 'soft market' has frozen raises, adding to the widespread melancholy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you can to increase morale.

Worked for Harleysville Group? Contribute to the Community!