Harris

Harris Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown

Bill Brown

Pros
  • The 9/80 work schedule has definitely kept me from leaving the company despite several other offers(in 29 reviews)

• The project I've been on for 3 years has a great work life balance(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The newest slogan is "do more with less" so the work-life balance is skewing(in 7 reviews)

• Upper Management likes to out source your job once they see that your work is complete(in 11 reviews)

Challenging and interesting company.

Regional Sales (Current Employee) London, England

ProsTechnology driven, growing company with large portfolio.

ConsThe internal structure of the company may be experienced as a little heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep it up.

Interesting project - Nice people to work with.

Network Control Tech (Former Employee) Melbourne, FL (US)

ProsFriendly people to work with. Good benefits and pay. Good work/life balance - 9/80 work week (every other Friday off).

ConsNot a lot of opportunity for advancement. Small pay raises. Somewhat of a good ole' boys/girls club and playing favorites, i.e. "You have family working for us? You get more opportunities even though you're not as qualified."

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a little more attention to your subordinates and recognize a job well done. Play favorites based on performance, not "inner circle".

Great company

Market Research Analyst (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA (US)

ProsBenefits are pretty good but the 9/80 and profit sharing are key factors to staying with the company

ConsFor a communications company it lacks good communication within the divisions of the corporation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Diverse products allows for opportunities to explore

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Palm Bay, FL (US)

ProsHarris has many programs running concurrently. This offers opportunities to work with a diversity of customers and groups within Harris. I have been fortunate enough to work with some of the best and most creative engineers I have ever meet.

ConsHarris operates like a consolidation of small companies. Each program executes like a small company. As with any organization there are a few groups that are very difficult to work with. If you get into one of these groups work with your supervisor to transfer to another program.

Great company to work for, specially for new grads

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL (US)

ProsStable company, easy to move around to other programs, easy to ask to work on things that interest you, lots of technologies to use, great work environment, good ethics, people will help you define your career, 9/80 work week with every other Friday off,

ConsLots of politics at higher levels, low performers get shuffled around and never fired meaning you may get stuck working with, focus on minimizing expenses hurts training and expansion, lack of communication with/from management

Advice to Senior ManagementNot doing enough to retain people and you are loosing your best. Will hurt performance in future projects.

Good company, solid employment

Product Specialist (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsGood benefits and vacation time off. Flexible with job scheduling. Management works well with employees.

ConsGov't processes and too many levels/titles to navigate through

Average company, used to be family and employee oriented. Now, its just a typical corporation.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL (US)

ProsGreat engineers to work with and still has a small town feel.

ConsEducation reimbursement is good for graduate school, very poor for undergrad (2 classes/yr.) Healthcare coverage was top notch until 2014 when they got rid of the nice plans and gave us a generic group of choices. 401k matching is set to decrease soon. They will only pay what it takes to keep you at your desk so make your money up front. Make sure they pay you top dollar initially. You WILL NOT make any substantial monetary gains in the years following once you sign the papers. Being rated as a high contributor (small percentage of workers) for 2014 will net you a maximum raise of 2.3%. They also delayed this until late December from August in order to maintain more money in their account while the new CEO received a 38% salary raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease see above. It doesn't look good to your employees when it's obvious that you care about your own interests instead of theirs.

Industry leading products, no vision, moderate/poor growth prospects.

Level V (Former Employee) Rochester, NY (US)

ProsGood products, high quality. Good work/life balance. Future vision is all around improvements in internal operating efficiency, not a man on the staff can tell you a vision for the future though. But they can tell you their cash flow improvements in 2018 and beyond.

ConsClosely held and healthy division management. No hope for a new executive or high level employee to advance. A "dead man's shoes" advancement pace that is slow based on the mid-50's age and excellent fitness level of Sr management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart smoking; or grow the business by entering new markets rather than buying your own stock back. Create some opportunities for middle management to grow their careers.

Bad CEO, Few Promotion Opportunities

Software Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Palm Bay, FL (US)

ProsThe people who work here are highly dedicated to their customer and to what they do. This was the primary attraction to bringing me here. It's this dedication that has their customers coming directly to them for solutions, and it provides the employees here with some outstanding opportunities to work on cutting-edge projects that have national impact.

ConsTwo of the more difficult challenges starting here as a senior-level employee is dealing with an entrenched culture of senior-level employees that have never worked anywhere else and the company's attitude toward raises and attrition. Their initial salary offer when coming here is fair, but negotiate well, as the likelihood of any meaningful raises beyond that point are slim. Their attitude is that their people have nowhere else to go (locally), so the employees will take the scraps that are offered as it's better than nothing. Their promotion system is anachronistic, depending on multiple years of "High" performance, where these "High" ratings are not always based on merit but on where someone is within the seniority queue of promotion. On top of that, upper management caps the total number of promotions to an insanely low number, so for senior-level promotions, it's like playing the lottery.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst and foremost, oust the new CEO. While his current tenure has resulted in a huge stock price bump, he has done this at the expense of our employees and our customers (the other two stakeholders of the company). The divisions need to be allowed again to manage themselves without being micromanaged by Corporate. He does not understand how our business works, which is why he wants to change it to something he does understand. Also, his nepotism toward his former UTC pals and political advocacy are not welcome at a company that stresses ethics as one of it cornerstones.
    Outside of this issue, the other issue that needs to be addressed is the lagging compensation. While it may be competitive within our region of Florida, it is not competitive for our industry.

Love working for Harris, just wish they weren't so stingy

Human Resources (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL (US)

ProsGreat 9/80 schedule, awesome team (like a family), decent benefits, and plenty of growth potential. Very well-respected and customer-oriented.

ConsUnfortunately, customer-oriented means that profits and savings benefit the customers and shareholders, with employees coming in last. Benefits could be more robust, and the company could be more agile.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think Harris could further increase its profits by taking care of its employees better and cutting the red tape that is slowing productivity in some areas and holding back Harris' best and brightest.

Worked for Harris? Contribute to the Community!