Harris Reviews

Updated 17 September 2014
2.9

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown
Bill Brown

Pros
  • The 9/80 work schedule has definitely kept me from leaving the company despite several other offers (in 30 reviews)

• The project I've been on for 3 years has a great work life balance (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The newest slogan is "do more with less" so the work-life balance is skewing (in 7 reviews)

• Upper Management likes to out source your job once they see that your work is complete (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging and interesting company.

Current Employee - Regional Sales  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Regional Sales in London, England

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Technology driven, growing company with large portfolio.

Cons

The internal structure of the company may be experienced as a little heavy.

Just keep it up.

an absolute shambles of a company

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Aberdeen, Scotland
    Current Employee - Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

none whatsoever unless you enjoy being treated like dirt & happy to have 0-2% annual salary increase (this year the 0-2% has been delayed for 6 months, WHY?)

Cons

they want not only your working time, they want your freetime also & do not pay for using your freetime, they expect to control your life

You want to be world leaders in the industry & be the best of the best? you really need to get rid of micromanagement & give more to the workers . A great portfolio but delivering substandard service , these large companies you have missold to are bigger than you & Karma will be an awful comeback

Harris used to be a great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Melbourne, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Melbourne, FL (US)

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Space Coast engineering, low cost of living.

Cons

The company has no vision, or no willingness to invest in long-term growth. The matrix organization results in a disorganized feeling where most work is done in silos, oblivious to resources existing in other areas. This disorganization also results in no one being willing to step up and take reasonable risks (opportunities) that haven't been done before; no one ever seems know who can get things done. As with many companies these days HR is sabotaging the hiring process, losing good engineers to criteria that are not relevant to technical candidates. As an example, University of Phoenix BS with a 3.8 GPA is hired but a University of Central Florida BES with a 3.7 is declined an interview based *solely* on GPA.

Lose Bill Brown before he sell the company off, overhaul HR and get back to real engineering.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok place to work

I have been working at Harris

Pros

Due to smaller company size your name gets around well

Cons

The company doesn't know how to treat software engineers.

Big company

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Harris full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity and a good crowd

Cons

Red tape. There is a good ol' boy network that's tough to break.

Harris tries to weather the ups and downs of military contracts by keeping a high percentage of contract employees.

Former Employee - Test Engineer  in  Rochester, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Rochester, NY (US)

I worked at Harris as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Harris is one of few remaining electronics manufacturers in US. Company is top notch in technology. The manufacturing lines are new, modern and efficient. LabVIEW is used extensively for testing at all stages of production. There are many years of practical experience making test systems. There are few, if any, larger installations where LabVIEW and TestStand are so widly used and relied upon. Testing is a religion and it is practiced very well here.

Cons

Contract employees are a fair portion of the workforce. There is a regular up and down of headcount due to the vagaries of production. There are many in town who want to work here. But because of the abundance, or over supply of engineers, they are very selective, and they do not pay very well. For those who manage to get a direct position, a good amount of effort is spent trying to become "indespensible". Thus many people are not open to share their expertise, the one thing that may save them from being in the next round of layoffs. And layoffs are regular.
        The technology is great, but because of time to market pressure, there are not many new designs. Most are repackaged or recombined pieces of prior products. Similarly for their test systems. Take parts of these old systems and make something ready for release by Tuesday.

Work more to develop a larger non-military customer base, to keep the company on a even keel during times of sequestration, and other gaps in military spending.

OK company. Don't recommend to friends in it's current state.

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV  in  Melbourne, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Melbourne, FL (US)

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Diversity of work. Fun place if you have the right team to work with. Great place for new grads to get that initial experience.

Cons

Too much emphasis writing reviews for the HR lawyers every year. Top heavy in middle management with constant rotation hiding them from corporate every year. VP's reporting to VP's reporting to VP's. (no kidding!) No continuity with customers as a result. Seems to have lost it's way since Howard Lance departed. (unfortunately) The company is dying a slow death. Management is a bunch of bean counters now that wouldn't know a good invention if it slapped them across the head. No vision or foresight. New ideas are only solicited from a "select few".

Quit hiring your buddies and get people in middle management that actually care about long term company growth instead of short term profits. Arrogant directors scrambling for the next open VP slot could care less about the work or employees. Quit confusing employees with no company direction except for the latest buzz words from your MBA class. Your stock price is propped up by the Federal Reserve printing money. Not real growth or vision here.

Enjoyed the people, not the environment

Former Employee - Software Engineering Co-op  in  Rochester, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Co-op in Rochester, NY (US)

I worked at Harris as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people at Harris are great. My team was really friendly, and I actually still keep in touch with them.
    The work is pretty cool too. I enjoyed working on a radio and they follow pretty standard software practices.
    The pay was excellent considering I was an intern.

Cons

The environment just was not for me. Opening my lunch box to show I was not concealing anything got old real quick. There were also a lot of rules for what you could and could not do (I understand this is necessary to ensure security, but can really make the office very boring).

Just a Job

I have been working at Harris

Pros

Big company with lots of potential. Middle of the road for salary and benefits.

Cons

Employees are under valued and treated like crap. Employee's pay the price to appease shareholders and customers. Upper management uses draconian management techniques.

Great for college new hires!

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Melbourne, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne, FL (US)

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked at two divisions within the company in Melbourne, FL. Good people and teams. Managers really listen and try to place you on projects you're most interested in. You just have to be vocal and persistent.

Cons

Raises after the new grad program are low around 2%. Pretty competitive to get high performance ratings since you're surrounded by talented and intelligent people.

More perks and work-life balance as well as opportunities for leadership.

Worked for Harris? Contribute to the Community!