Hays plc

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox

Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • Flexible approach to work life balance(in 5 reviews)

• Great training, International opportunities, good commission scheme(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable(in 8 reviews)

• When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else(in 7 reviews)

Excellent training. A really good place to start your career in recruitment.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat training and support. Lots of opportunities both UK based and globally.

ConsAlthough basic salaries have improved the commission structure is not very competitive. Hours of work can be long and lack of flexibility to work from home.

Fast paced and exhilarating

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

ProsFor the workaholics it is perfection, the ideal job. The job satisfaction is great when you've placed a candidate in their dream job.

ConsLong hours, hard work and sometimes frustrating. You will know in the first year if this job is for you. High turn over of staff.

A company with no Ethics

IT Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsSome very good people work at Hays and are very sociable. The management have no interest in maintaining a team and are more geared towards a factory model to make money. Would suit any managers working in this sort of an environment.

ConsNo direction from management. Self preservation attitude everywhere you turn. Mostly firefighting throughout rather than analyzing the actual problem.No company ethics towards employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to treat you employees better. You fired some of your most loyal and long serving employees which is disgraceful.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate machine with terrible retention and lack of discipline.

Associate Consultant (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat training, good social life. Never a boring moment.

ConsExperienced sexism and racism, issues raised were not dealt with effectively by senior management. Persistent micro-managing and being threatened with my job until I eventually quit. Commission structure is also terrible in comparison to other recruitment companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is truly worrying how many managers who are not good managers seem to be protected for some reason. This company has a terrible reputation amongst every other recruitment agency I've spoken with and all for the same reasons I have listed above - too much micro-managing.

Good Recruiter=Good Manager?!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat training and a fantastic opportunity for those straight out of University to develop their knowledge of the Recruitment industry.

ConsThose managing are appointed on the basis of being good recruiters, rather than good managers. Salaries are not the greatest at Hays, and the commission structure is poor- "Advise your clients they need to be competitive in this market"!!!

£16.5k basic for Associates
    £22k basic for Recruitment Consultants
    £24k basic for Senior Consultants

More leavers in 13/14 than any previous years. There will always be a higher turnover of staff in the recruitment industry, but Hays are losing quality staff and need to work on retaining them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be a good manager you need to be adaptable as each employee will have a different learning style.

Great place to start your sales career

Business Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat training, International opportunities, good commission scheme

ConsAverage benefits, transactional culture at times

Great People, Average Prospects

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) Leeds, England

ProsIf you do well and your face fits and the right people like you, they will make a job for you if you don't make it as a recruiter, they are actually quite patient and understanding in that sense. Also quite understanding in times when you need them to be, after a family bereavement they helped me out with counselling etc. Decent bunch of people as well.

ConsSalaries are pretty average, commission is only good if you are a huge biller, 20K+ per month also regardless of their corporate nonsense that they feed you the market you recruit in is hugely determinant of your success, some of the biggest billers had one client of which they did not obtain themselves.... easy life for some... stupid number of KPI's... really stupid and largely pointless. they have a bad name in many markets they work in, there is a lot of infighting over accounts they have an immense amount of poor people employed there as well who make clients view them even worse, and they insist on using e-shots to pepper their clients

Advice to Senior Managementtime to change your strategy and get out of the dark ages of recruitment

Better in the old days

Business Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThey reward success. I found the bonus scheme was very geared towards commission, but for me this worked and motivated me. They had great training which set me up for life. Long hours didn't bother me, if you did a good job there was latitude.

ConsVery much a place where if your face fits you do well. When I joined the directors had all progressed from the bottom upwards. When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else. Not well liked by clients in general (in my specialism).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop judging people on the amount of spreadsheets produced each day, start talking to your staff.

Very good company to work for. Taught me allot in terms of strategy and working to a strict deadlines and helped me

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) Reading, England

ProsVery good corporate company to work for. Gave you alot of information regarding how to fill jobs properly, and how not to.

ConsSome of the staff are very frontal, sometimes gave you things to do that you didnt need to do, and made you deliver on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was okay

Too many line managers, not enough stability

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee)

Pros-Begin to think like a recruiter (beneficial for future job hunting!)
    -Candidate and talent acquisition very interesting
    - Working with large companies

Cons- Communication across specialisms is limited
    - HIGH employee turnover
    - Lack of brand identity (Whilst at Hays clients assumed it was just a high volume recruitment firm)

Advice to Senior Management- Listen to employees of all levels for suggestions
    - Encourage cross specialism interaction/ meetings
    - Allow the corporate curtain to drop a little it may make employees feel more comfortable

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!