Hays plc Reviews

Updated 27 October 2014
3.8

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • The weeks are long as we work 8:30-6, however the recruitment industry has the reputation work hard play hard so the work life balance is good (in 7 reviews)

• Reasonable salary & good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and the expectation that you won't take a lunch break making the day even longer (in 22 reviews)

• Work-life balance balance can be difficult to adjust to if your not used to office life (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Offer lots of opportunities to pro-active employees

Current Employee - Account Resourcer in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Resourcer in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The variety of roles are fantastic. Always opportunities for internal moves.

Cons

Old processes, and senior people who fight change

Listen to mid-level people who do the job daily

Difficult not to be just a number in this big, faceless corporate monster.

I worked at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a well-known company so often work just landed in your lap.

Cons

A 'restructure' (mass redundancies) was handled very insensitively and with little genuine concern for people's feelings. If you are a woman working at Hays and want promotion, say goodbye to the idea of having a family or work/life balance. The only woman who progressed far (that I knew) behaved like a man - aggressive, hard nosed, with very low emotional intelligence. I suspect there was great inequality in pay in terms of gender too.

Train managers to understand that often people are motivated by things other than just money. Hays seemed to have a very one dimensional strategy to get the most out of its employees. I see from other comments the culture of 'presenteeism' is alive and kicking, promoting the ridiculous notion that if you work longer hours, you must be more productive. Team work (sharing and supporting co-workers) is actively discouraged.

Okay but very restricted in terms of earning!

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training programmes and support for newer people into recruitment

Cons

Not very good potential to earn decent money despite being in a sales environment
    Very much a transaction based recruiter with no emphasis on relationships
    Not a good place to join if you are an experienced recruiter because it is too restrictive and not that well respected as a senior/exec level recruiter
    High turnover of staff members

Better commission and basic pay for high performers would prevent such high turnover
    Less restriction in terms of the geography you can work in
    Better reward for team management
    Visibility to what non-fee earning managers actually do

Sub-par

Current Employee - Administrator in London, England
    Current Employee - Administrator in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Had plenty of interviews, got a few assignments.

Cons

They are not very good at a few things. First, I submitted vetting documents and was placed in Government, then sometime later (after about 7months, found I had no clearance.

I felt I was just there to help score a bonus for consultants. No real personality or support (briefing of assignments) before placement. Unfortunate, as I had high hopes.

Get to know your candidates goals.

The best overall job grounding a graduate can receive.....

I have been working at Hays plc (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Some of the most fun & skilled people I have ever worked with
    - There are some oustanding mentors in the business. If you can grab one, you will have support for life
    - Great chance to take responsibility early on for your own business
    - Opportunity to become a real specialist in your area of business
    - Diverse portfolio of clients
    - Extensive internal support
    - IT database & systems
    - Extensive UK & global network of offices
    - Brand name
    - Training programme for new starters

Cons

- You have to be super resilient, otherwise you will not fall in love with this job
    - Day to day decisions can take too long to be approved by senior management, and job opportunities can often be lost
    - Business strategies can get lost in translation
    - Constant target and KPI pressure is not to everyone's liking
    - True flexible working is not available

Working at Hays Recruitment

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Swansea, Wales
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Swansea, Wales

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Inspirational Leaders
    - The week fly bys
    - Obtainable promotion criteria
    - Scope to earn brilliant cash based on how hard you work personally
    - Hilarious colleagues

Cons

- Not really a con but advice that new starers understand the job is tough but worth it after the steep learning curve.

Great company, people and rewards - but a challenging and demaning job

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reading, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent personal development and training opportunities. You are able to set your own goals and manage your own work load. Although targets are high, the rewards are good. Regular incentives are set, as well as having the opportunity to earn uncapped commission. Great people and team atmosphere and a fun environment to work in. Good opportunity to progress with the organisation and after longer term employment, there is an opportunity to relocate worldwide.

Cons

Is a demanding and challenging job. Targets are set high and everyone is expected to exceed those targets soon after joining the organisation. Hays focus heavily on KPI's and fee targets - which are reviewed regularly. It is a difficult industry to make a name for yourself, so you need perseverance and consistency to earn the top level of commission and promotion. If you are looking for an easy 9 - 5 job this isn't the right position for you.

Further support could be given to help new employees develop their skills - more on the job coaching by managers for new team members and regular refreshers courses for experienced hires would be good. Less focus on KPI's for experienced hires and more motivation and encouragement.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The team atmosphere and friendly competition makes it a really fulfilling place to work. Excellent opportunities for socialising in and out of work, and great earning potential. There is loads of experience in the office to draw on so you never feel like you don't know what to do. As you are with the company for longer you have lots of autonomy to manage your business in the most effective way. Excellent specific training for staff at all levels.

Cons

It can be a challenge managing time effectively and making sure that work is done pro-actively rather than reactively. There can be a danger that people get too caught up in what they are doing and loose sight of the fact that nothing is life or death.

Would be good to offer some more flexible working opportunities and the ability to work remotely for more junior members of staff. Clear communication is vital.

Excellent career opportunities and superb training

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I joined Hays because of the training and career opportunities that they could offer me and I definitely haven't been disappointed. I regularly receive training, feedback and reviews and this has meant that I have been able to progress through the company in different roles and geographical locations. I am able to run my desk as if it were my own business but with the help and support of the PLC structure and I am rewarded well.

Cons

We expect the best from our new associates so it can be hard for them entering the business initially due to the amount of information there is to learn, however, the training and coaching is designed to support them and see them through some of the more stressful days.

Bags of progression and support

Current Employee - Business Director in Bath, England
    Current Employee - Business Director in Bath, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have been here for nearly 10 years and have never stood still. If you work hard and drive your career, Hays will support your development in every way. Given the number of specialisms, national and international reach you will never be short of opportunities. We work very hard but are rewarded for that work in many ways, you will never be left to suffer tough times and always be encouraged in the good times.

Cons

Its not for everybody, but if its for you then its the best place around.