Hays plc Reviews

Updated 25 August 2014

3.8

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • Flexible approach to work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great training, International opportunities, good commission scheme (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable (in 8 reviews)

• When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

The best overall job grounding a graduate can receive.....

I have been working at Hays plc for more than 10 years

Pros

- Some of the most fun & skilled people I have ever worked with
    - There are some oustanding mentors in the business. If you can grab one, you will have support for life
    - Great chance to take responsibility early on for your own business
    - Opportunity to become a real specialist in your area of business
    - Diverse portfolio of clients
    - Extensive internal support
    - IT database & systems
    - Extensive UK & global network of offices
    - Brand name
    - Training programme for new starters

Cons

- You have to be super resilient, otherwise you will not fall in love with this job
    - Day to day decisions can take too long to be approved by senior management, and job opportunities can often be lost
    - Business strategies can get lost in translation
    - Constant target and KPI pressure is not to everyone's liking
    - True flexible working is not available

Great company, people and rewards - but a challenging and demaning job

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Reading, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reading, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent personal development and training opportunities. You are able to set your own goals and manage your own work load. Although targets are high, the rewards are good. Regular incentives are set, as well as having the opportunity to earn uncapped commission. Great people and team atmosphere and a fun environment to work in. Good opportunity to progress with the organisation and after longer term employment, there is an opportunity to relocate worldwide.

Cons

Is a demanding and challenging job. Targets are set high and everyone is expected to exceed those targets soon after joining the organisation. Hays focus heavily on KPI's and fee targets - which are reviewed regularly. It is a difficult industry to make a name for yourself, so you need perseverance and consistency to earn the top level of commission and promotion. If you are looking for an easy 9 - 5 job this isn't the right position for you.

Further support could be given to help new employees develop their skills - more on the job coaching by managers for new team members and regular refreshers courses for experienced hires would be good. Less focus on KPI's for experienced hires and more motivation and encouragement.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The team atmosphere and friendly competition makes it a really fulfilling place to work. Excellent opportunities for socialising in and out of work, and great earning potential. There is loads of experience in the office to draw on so you never feel like you don't know what to do. As you are with the company for longer you have lots of autonomy to manage your business in the most effective way. Excellent specific training for staff at all levels.

Cons

It can be a challenge managing time effectively and making sure that work is done pro-actively rather than reactively. There can be a danger that people get too caught up in what they are doing and loose sight of the fact that nothing is life or death.

Would be good to offer some more flexible working opportunities and the ability to work remotely for more junior members of staff. Clear communication is vital.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Hays Recruitment

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Swansea, Wales
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Swansea, Wales

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Inspirational Leaders
    - The week fly bys
    - Obtainable promotion criteria
    - Scope to earn brilliant cash based on how hard you work personally
    - Hilarious colleagues

Cons

- Not really a con but advice that new starers understand the job is tough but worth it after the steep learning curve.

Excellent career opportunities and superb training

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I joined Hays because of the training and career opportunities that they could offer me and I definitely haven't been disappointed. I regularly receive training, feedback and reviews and this has meant that I have been able to progress through the company in different roles and geographical locations. I am able to run my desk as if it were my own business but with the help and support of the PLC structure and I am rewarded well.

Cons

We expect the best from our new associates so it can be hard for them entering the business initially due to the amount of information there is to learn, however, the training and coaching is designed to support them and see them through some of the more stressful days.

Great organisation with fantastic career prospects

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant  in  Swansea, Wales
    Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Swansea, Wales

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great career progression, benefits and commission structure
    Brilliant culture with clear career progression paths
    Exceptional training
    A great place to work.
    Hays is meritocratic that awards based on performance.
    Work hard play hard culture

Cons

The hardwork is worthwhile - through the commission structure, benefits and career opportunities.

Continue to provide support and training by managers which has helped me be successful.

Fantastic career progression and uncapped commission

Current Employee - Manager  in  Reading, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Reading, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The earning potential, commissions are uncapped so the more successful the more you earn
    The people, have made some great friends here, really friendly, positive, competitive but in a good way
    The training is brilliant, really practical and hands on

Cons

It is really, really hard work and can be long hours especially in the first few months, you have to put your all in
    But its worth it as you get rewarded for the hard work by commission and promotions, so you need to think long term

Continue developing and focusing on the training, as this is what has really helped me to be successful, and more incentives, we have lots already but perhaps a few more office/team specific ones

Assiociate Recruitment Consultant

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant  in  Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Culture
    - Fast paced and challenging environement= exciting
    - Support and Training network around you
    - Like running your own business- you make what you desire through hard work

Cons

- Nothing- FAB place to work!

- Good benefits to choose from.
    - Good comission structure.
    - Work-life balance hasn't been disrupted for me.... you are what you make of it. If you want to earn more you may come in early or stay late every now and again but it will eventually pay off so it is worth it but you are certainly not expected to stay late and not at all encouraged to work outside of work.

Excellent Company to work for

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Atmosphere, work hard, play-hard ethos, community feel where everyone will help, good incentives, relaxed approach to work but with a focus on hitting targets. Supportive environment with honest feedback from management.

Cons

Depending on the type of work/desk you inherit, the work can be quite cold and it takes a long time to begin making money.

N/A

There is an entrepreneurial feel with no limits to your career opportunities, fun, open and excellent training.

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Southampton, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Southampton, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Open communication with all senior leadership, meritocracy meaning you can monitor your own career steps. Clear and well organised training schedules when you first join which really coincides with what you do in the office. Lots of support but also the ability to run our own mini business and be responsible for your your successes and loses. Respect from all managers and colleagues. Excellent benefits which you can choose from to suit you.

Cons

Long hours, leaving on time is almost frowned upon. Low salaries in comparison to other companies and low commission structures unless you have been with the company for years.

Better communication from senior managers/directors. One particular example is as recruitment has a high staff turnover we had a bout of over 10 people leaving in one month. There was no communication from directors as to what was going on, only Chinese whispers. Some Directors tend to sit in an office all day and don't interact with colleagues in the office.

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!