Hays plc

Updated 17 November 2014
3.8

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • The weeks are long as we work 8:30-6, however the recruitment industry has the reputation work hard play hard so the work life balance is good (in 7 reviews)

• Reasonable salary & good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and the expectation that you won't take a lunch break making the day even longer (in 22 reviews)

• Work-life balance balance can be difficult to adjust to if your not used to office life (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Offer lots of opportunities to pro-active employees

Current Employee - Account Resourcer in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Resourcer in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The variety of roles are fantastic. Always opportunities for internal moves.

Cons

Old processes, and senior people who fight change

Listen to mid-level people who do the job daily

Great training, terrible rewards

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company provides great training and there is a chance to progress quickly and be rewarded for your performance.

Cons

The culture of the company is very dog-eat-dog, and the pay is below industry standards, alongside very long working hours. A lot of your success is dependent on the desk you are put on, other than your own personal talent.

Reward employees more! Don't hire good consultants to management positions. A good recruiter does not make a good manager.

Good Training, Poor Management

Former Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Southampton, England
    Former Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Southampton, England

I worked at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The training structure is amazing and supportive. The training staff are really engaging and the stay in London is all covered by the company. Commission is good ONCE you have billed the minimum amount required to qualify.....which was £5k per month when I was there

Cons

Management. All about being on the phone making sales. Not enough emphasis on relationship building. No incentive to pass leads between teams to build stronger business with organisations.
    Hours were far too long and inflexible

Reduce hours required. Allow for more flexible working. Encourage teams to work together more to build a better long term strategy.

Difficult not to be just a number in this big, faceless corporate monster.

I worked at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a well-known company so often work just landed in your lap.

Cons

A 'restructure' (mass redundancies) was handled very insensitively and with little genuine concern for people's feelings. If you are a woman working at Hays and want promotion, say goodbye to the idea of having a family or work/life balance. The only woman who progressed far (that I knew) behaved like a man - aggressive, hard nosed, with very low emotional intelligence. I suspect there was great inequality in pay in terms of gender too.

Train managers to understand that often people are motivated by things other than just money. Hays seemed to have a very one dimensional strategy to get the most out of its employees. I see from other comments the culture of 'presenteeism' is alive and kicking, promoting the ridiculous notion that if you work longer hours, you must be more productive. Team work (sharing and supporting co-workers) is actively discouraged.

Absolutely Ridiculous Employer

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Reading, England
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Reading, England

I worked at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- training programme is outstanding. (albeit often delivered by extremely underqualified 'managers'.

Cons

-Long work hours - the expectation you will work through your lunch doesn't even allow you to finish early if needed for any kind of appointment. (bank, medical, estate agents etc) ... and when you work 8:30-6 everyday - this doesn't leave much room for organising your life.
    - Meritocracy allows for people who have NO people skills to become 'people managers' - resulting in poorly managed teams and awful moral in said teams.
    - They could not care about you as a person. Just whether they can mould you into some Hays clone. Despite the fact the interview process is rigorous and they meet you on numerous accasions - they still attempt to turn you into an exact replica of their other consultants; no personality, no real relationships with candidates OR clients, and no real personalities in the office.
    - The worst though, is despite all of this treatment, they expect you to kiss their feet and be extremely grateful that you work for 'HAYS'.... yeah right!

Learn to actually care about your employees.

Okay but very restricted in terms of earning!

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training programmes and support for newer people into recruitment

Cons

Not very good potential to earn decent money despite being in a sales environment
    Very much a transaction based recruiter with no emphasis on relationships
    Not a good place to join if you are an experienced recruiter because it is too restrictive and not that well respected as a senior/exec level recruiter
    High turnover of staff members

Better commission and basic pay for high performers would prevent such high turnover
    Less restriction in terms of the geography you can work in
    Better reward for team management
    Visibility to what non-fee earning managers actually do

Excellent career opportunities and superb training

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I joined Hays because of the training and career opportunities that they could offer me and I definitely haven't been disappointed. I regularly receive training, feedback and reviews and this has meant that I have been able to progress through the company in different roles and geographical locations. I am able to run my desk as if it were my own business but with the help and support of the PLC structure and I am rewarded well.

Cons

We expect the best from our new associates so it can be hard for them entering the business initially due to the amount of information there is to learn, however, the training and coaching is designed to support them and see them through some of the more stressful days.

Sub-par

Current Employee - Administrator in London, England
    Current Employee - Administrator in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Had plenty of interviews, got a few assignments.

Cons

They are not very good at a few things. First, I submitted vetting documents and was placed in Government, then sometime later (after about 7months, found I had no clearance.

I felt I was just there to help score a bonus for consultants. No real personality or support (briefing of assignments) before placement. Unfortunate, as I had high hopes.

Get to know your candidates goals.

The best overall job grounding a graduate can receive.....

I have been working at Hays plc (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Some of the most fun & skilled people I have ever worked with
    - There are some oustanding mentors in the business. If you can grab one, you will have support for life
    - Great chance to take responsibility early on for your own business
    - Opportunity to become a real specialist in your area of business
    - Diverse portfolio of clients
    - Extensive internal support
    - IT database & systems
    - Extensive UK & global network of offices
    - Brand name
    - Training programme for new starters

Cons

- You have to be super resilient, otherwise you will not fall in love with this job
    - Day to day decisions can take too long to be approved by senior management, and job opportunities can often be lost
    - Business strategies can get lost in translation
    - Constant target and KPI pressure is not to everyone's liking
    - True flexible working is not available

Great company, people and rewards - but a challenging and demaning job

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reading, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent personal development and training opportunities. You are able to set your own goals and manage your own work load. Although targets are high, the rewards are good. Regular incentives are set, as well as having the opportunity to earn uncapped commission. Great people and team atmosphere and a fun environment to work in. Good opportunity to progress with the organisation and after longer term employment, there is an opportunity to relocate worldwide.

Cons

Is a demanding and challenging job. Targets are set high and everyone is expected to exceed those targets soon after joining the organisation. Hays focus heavily on KPI's and fee targets - which are reviewed regularly. It is a difficult industry to make a name for yourself, so you need perseverance and consistency to earn the top level of commission and promotion. If you are looking for an easy 9 - 5 job this isn't the right position for you.

Further support could be given to help new employees develop their skills - more on the job coaching by managers for new team members and regular refreshers courses for experienced hires would be good. Less focus on KPI's for experienced hires and more motivation and encouragement.