Hays plc

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox

Alistair R. Cox

Pros:
  • "Flexible approach to work life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Great training and a fantastic opportunity for those straight out of University to develop their knowledge of the Recruitment industry"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Deceitful/underhanded mid and senior management"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Long hours, presenteeism culture , can be a "face fits" atmosphere"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent training. A really good place to start your career in recruitment.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Hays plc full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat training and support. Lots of opportunities both UK based and globally.

ConsAlthough basic salaries have improved the commission structure is not very competitive. Hours of work can be long and lack of flexibility to work from home.

Fast paced and exhilarating

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

ProsFor the workaholics it is perfection, the ideal job. The job satisfaction is great when you've placed a candidate in their dream job.

ConsLong hours, hard work and sometimes frustrating. You will know in the first year if this job is for you. High turn over of staff.

Good Recruiter=Good Manager?!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time

ProsGreat training and a fantastic opportunity for those straight out of University to develop their knowledge of the Recruitment industry.

ConsThose managing are appointed on the basis of being good recruiters, rather than good managers. Salaries are not the greatest at Hays, and the commission structure is poor- "Advise your clients they need to be competitive in this market"!!!

£16.5k basic for Associates
£22k basic for Recruitment Consultants
£24k basic for Senior Consultants

More leavers in 13/14 than any previous years. There will always be a higher turnover of staff in the recruitment industry, but Hays are losing quality staff and need to work on retaining them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be a good manager you need to be adaptable as each employee will have a different learning style.

Great place to start your sales career

Business Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat training, International opportunities, good commission scheme

ConsAverage benefits, transactional culture at times

Great People, Average Prospects

Leeds, England

I worked at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you do well and your face fits and the right people like you, they will make a job for you if you don't make it as a recruiter, they are actually quite patient and understanding in that sense. Also quite understanding in times when you need them to be, after a family bereavement they helped me out with counselling etc. Decent bunch of people as well.

ConsSalaries are pretty average, commission is only good if you are a huge biller, 20K+ per month also regardless of their corporate nonsense that they feed you the market you recruit in is hugely determinant of your success, some of the biggest billers had one client of which they did not obtain themselves.... easy life for some... stupid number of KPI's... really stupid and largely pointless. they have a bad name in many markets they work in, there is a lot of infighting over accounts they have an immense amount of poor people employed there as well who make clients view them even worse, and they insist on using e-shots to pepper their clients

Advice to Senior Managementtime to change your strategy and get out of the dark ages of recruitment

Better in the old days

Business Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hays plc full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey reward success. I found the bonus scheme was very geared towards commission, but for me this worked and motivated me. They had great training which set me up for life. Long hours didn't bother me, if you did a good job there was latitude.

ConsVery much a place where if your face fits you do well. When I joined the directors had all progressed from the bottom upwards. When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else. Not well liked by clients in general (in my specialism).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop judging people on the amount of spreadsheets produced each day, start talking to your staff.

Too many line managers, not enough stability

I worked at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Pros-Begin to think like a recruiter (beneficial for future job hunting!)
-Candidate and talent acquisition very interesting
- Working with large companies

Cons- Communication across specialisms is limited
- HIGH employee turnover
- Lack of brand identity (Whilst at Hays clients assumed it was just a high volume recruitment firm)

Advice to Senior Management- Listen to employees of all levels for suggestions
- Encourage cross specialism interaction/ meetings
- Allow the corporate curtain to drop a little it may make employees feel more comfortable

Very good company to work for. Taught me allot in terms of strategy and working to a strict deadlines and helped me

Reading, England

I worked at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

ProsVery good corporate company to work for. Gave you alot of information regarding how to fill jobs properly, and how not to.

ConsSome of the staff are very frontal, sometimes gave you things to do that you didnt need to do, and made you deliver on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was okay

ok

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

ProsHours. Social. Location. Few good people and bosses who listen and offer career advice like a mentor. Learnt interview tactics. 1st step to recruitment career. Vocational. Renowned sales training. Customer service. Expertise. Learnt a lot on how to cope under pressure which is helpful in problem solving and managing, when there's conflict and communication issues. Best agency to use, perceived as most professional and corporate looking. Everyone's a client.

ConsSystems don't work. Most disapprove of Exec Board. Workplace with swearing and politically incorrect at times racist people at the top. Those who aren't senior or manager, all actively look to leave. Learning isn't encouraged. Colleagues cuss about few incompetent people who sleep their way to top. High staff turnover with most fired without HR approval, similar to small cowboy firm environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain staff after they join. Hiring and promoting friends or family isn't the best method, people get away with a lot and no constructive feedback, can be bias when they try and do fire those they don't like.

Attractive global opportunities

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee)
Leicester, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe opportunity to move globally after working for the company for 2 years - movement - progression into other roles. I like the company.

Conssalary is not at a level I would expect given the nature of the work - the commission could be higher. The working hours are too long.

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hays plc reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox. All 62 reviews are posted anonymously by Hays plc employees.