Hays plc

Updated 9 December 2014
3.7

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • The weeks are long as we work 8:30-6, however the recruitment industry has the reputation work hard play hard so the work life balance is good (in 7 reviews)

• Reasonable salary & good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and the expectation that you won't take a lunch break making the day even longer (in 26 reviews)

• Work-life balance balance can be difficult to adjust to if your not used to office life (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

A successful organisation with great values

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clear, realistic promotional opportunities are outlined from day one. Success is rewarded and widely recognised and the company values can be evidenced internally as well as externally.

Team working is encouraged just as much as the development of independent expertise. The prescence of the organisation in the market across so many different specialisms, combined with excellent training and the fact that Hays is Passionate about People (clients, candidates and consultants alike) make it possible for people to succeed not only financially, but also in terms of job satisfaction.

In a nutshell, a great place to work.

Cons

The role of recruitment consultant is a challenging one. This isn't really a con, just the nature of the beast. There are many ups and downs. However, Hays offers plenty of training and support, ensuring more ups and less downs the more your expertise develops.

Great place to work with a really good company culture, in an environment where people want to succeed.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Your hard work is recognised and you are praised for when the results come in. There is excellent career progression with a structure that enables you to work your way up through the ranks. Always support around you for when you need it and lots of experience colleagues for you to get advice from. The social aspect is great and incentives really motivate you to smash your targets.

Cons

As it is a young, sociable work force, pub culture can sometimes cross over into the office making it unprofessional at times and a little bit uni like. Also the unflexibility with the working hours is very frustrating. I understand why they are so strict and rigid but for Consultants who work over and above their expected hours anyway, to come in a little later or leave a little earlier to make up for it would make a great deal of difference.

Lose the micro-management in regards to possibles and interviews. You set yourself up for the day but you end up repeating yourself dozens of times to several different managers and directors across the floor. The amount of repeatition is counter productive and not a good use of your time.

There is an entrepreneurial feel with no limits to your career opportunities, fun, open and excellent training.

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Southampton, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Southampton, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open communication with all senior leadership, meritocracy meaning you can monitor your own career steps. Clear and well organised training schedules when you first join which really coincides with what you do in the office. Lots of support but also the ability to run our own mini business and be responsible for your your successes and loses. Respect from all managers and colleagues. Excellent benefits which you can choose from to suit you.

Cons

Long hours, leaving on time is almost frowned upon. Low salaries in comparison to other companies and low commission structures unless you have been with the company for years.

Better communication from senior managers/directors. One particular example is as recruitment has a high staff turnover we had a bout of over 10 people leaving in one month. There was no communication from directors as to what was going on, only Chinese whispers. Some Directors tend to sit in an office all day and don't interact with colleagues in the office.

Great opportunities for entrepreneurial minded people who are comfortable in a people driven environment.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The progression opportunities are amazing and you have a good chance to make a name for yourself.

Cons

I don't have any as of yet.

NA

Work Hard - Big Rewards

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best reason to work for Hays is the people you work with and the truly world class training and personal development available. The high performing culture suits anyone who is ambitious, task and people orientated and willing to learn and get stuck in. The is a very fast pace and the expectation is you work hard to gain all the monetary and reward benefits.

Cons

There are long hours and you have to be committed to work longer than your contract, there is no immediate financial reward in recruitment as success is made form long term relationships and repeat business which takes time to build. It can also be very stressful, the demands come from everyone you interact with, our customers, your colleagues, your management but most importantly yourself, you have to be prepared to be resilient.

Over the years the management interaction with all level of employees has improved dramatically and you can see the values and culture throughout the whole organisation, keep it up and keep listening.

Challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - /Associate Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - /Associate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Hays put a lot of focus into their training. I feel like a lot of time and effort is being invested in me and my future to help me in my job here at Hays as well as my future career. The company values and rewards hard work which shows in the work hard, play hard culture at Hays.

Cons

The nature of the job means that you have to be very resilient. Working with people results in unexpected events occurring which can make you feel like you have wasted a lot of your time on a specific candidate or client and nothing comes of it.

Management could help with further integration i.e. within specialisms, working closer with colleagues to understand their work, this could be achieved though brief weekly meetings. Prizes for hitting KPIs will increase work and ensure One Touch is kept updated.

Fantastic experience in progressive career.

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Support from higher management is superb and I feel very valued as an employee. All promises made to me at the beginning of my career have been fulfilled and I have found it to be an incredibly honest company. The training is fantastic and gives you the key skills to really progress through the company. Culture is very sociable with a work hard/play hard attitude. Lots of incentives and opportunities to get promoted.

Cons

It is a hard role with very long hours. Lots of small disappointments due to the nature of the industry and the unreliable nature of people in general. The industry attracts a few office gossipy types but no more so than any other large office environment.

More training for mid level staff looking to progress would be good, but communication is already at a very high level. Flexibility with regards to promotions would be good so as not to hold certain staff back when they are in a position to manage early in their career.

I have been working at Hays for over a year and have had an amazing time, brilliant culture with great career prospects

Current Employee - National Internal Recruitment Coordinator in London, England
    Current Employee - National Internal Recruitment Coordinator in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture within Hays with an evident work hard play hard culture.
    There is a clear career progression structure and Hays is a very meritocratic company that awards based on performance

Cons

The challenges at Hays are that the KPI's and targets set can be quite demanding however they are there to push you and ultimately help you succeed.

Supporting Environment that gives you the tools to make what you want of it

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in King's Lynn, England
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in King's Lynn, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time

Pros

Hays is a great company to work for as it already has the reputation and dominance in the Recruitment market. Having come from a smaller, boutique agency I was really taken aback at how well known Hays is with potential clients - cold calls are much easier! What impressed me more than anything with Hays was the training provided it really sets you up for running a desk. The atmosphere within the offices is lively with everyone being hardworking and competitive (in a friendly way!).

Cons

The one thing I have found hard to adjust to is how broken down specialisms are. On the one hand this is great as it allows you to build much more thorough relationships and know your market better on the other hand when you get a job in it can be frustrating having to pass it to a colleague.

It would be beneficial if managers knew a bit more about all of the desks in the office as opposed to just their specialism. Each sector is quite different in how it needs to be run

Outstanding

Current Employee - Director in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Director in Leeds, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Career progression, Benefits, Commission to those who are prepared to work hard to understand their market.

Cons

Challenges are around ensuring consultants have the right work ethnic and are aware of that to become an expert in their market takes dedication and inquisitive nature.