Hays plc Reviews

Updated 11 October 2014
3.8

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • The weeks are long as we work 8:30-6, however the recruitment industry has the reputation work hard play hard so the work life balance is good (in 7 reviews)

• Reasonable salary & good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and the expectation that you won't take a lunch break making the day even longer (in 21 reviews)

• The commission structure is awful and so is the work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - /Associate Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - /Associate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Hays put a lot of focus into their training. I feel like a lot of time and effort is being invested in me and my future to help me in my job here at Hays as well as my future career. The company values and rewards hard work which shows in the work hard, play hard culture at Hays.

Cons

The nature of the job means that you have to be very resilient. Working with people results in unexpected events occurring which can make you feel like you have wasted a lot of your time on a specific candidate or client and nothing comes of it.

Management could help with further integration i.e. within specialisms, working closer with colleagues to understand their work, this could be achieved though brief weekly meetings. Prizes for hitting KPIs will increase work and ensure One Touch is kept updated.

Fantastic experience in progressive career.

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Support from higher management is superb and I feel very valued as an employee. All promises made to me at the beginning of my career have been fulfilled and I have found it to be an incredibly honest company. The training is fantastic and gives you the key skills to really progress through the company. Culture is very sociable with a work hard/play hard attitude. Lots of incentives and opportunities to get promoted.

Cons

It is a hard role with very long hours. Lots of small disappointments due to the nature of the industry and the unreliable nature of people in general. The industry attracts a few office gossipy types but no more so than any other large office environment.

More training for mid level staff looking to progress would be good, but communication is already at a very high level. Flexibility with regards to promotions would be good so as not to hold certain staff back when they are in a position to manage early in their career.

Hays is a great organisation with fantastic career progression

Current Employee - Senior Business Manager in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Senior Business Manager in Brighton, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The training you recieve is excellent and the company truly values itself on people. There is a real High performace culture within each team and reward is high for hard work and dedication

Cons

At times there can be a few to many channel leads meaning the reporting of figures can get repetitive.

Meritocracy with exceptional training and clear progression paths

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chelmsford, England

I have been working at Hays plc part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The offices are always busy with a positive vibe. You will never find a Hays conultant sitting on their laurels. There is always a job to be done. It can be stressful/hectic environment, playing middle man to an ever more varied and demanding client/candidate base, but the upbeat and healthy competitive nature within the offices help get you through. Management has seen changes for the better, with far more "nurturing" and guidence given to new consultants. Training is exceptional and always receives great feedback.

Cons

The job is all encompassing so it is hard to strike a good work/life balance if you are a parent or work part time. This isn't a negative on the company but down to the constrictures of the job which is based on your focus and efforts to acheive commission so quite frequently it might mean working "out of hours"

Great career progression and fantastic training and support

Current Employee - Director in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Director in Reading, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Clear career progression and targets, working for the No1 recruitment co in the UK with a global reach. Fantastic training, we are supported at every level, right from entry level through to Senior Management

Cons

No so much cons, but you do have to be up for a challenge and be prepared to work hard and stay motivated, you are expected to progress and deliver and grow with the company

Just to make sure we keep the standards and expectations high across the business and dont lose the core DNA that has made us so successful

Supportive and rewarding career at Hays

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Brighton, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Firstly the training at Hays is top notch; it gives you the best start at a job which can be very demanding. As a sales business there are high expectations for target hitting and they motivate you to successfully reach those expectations. They reward success and the commission structures are set to motivate you to want to do more!
    There is a real community feel within your team, office and even regionally or nationally, which is even more apparent when everyone meets for events and parties, of which there are quite a few!
    One of the things I love about the structure of Hays is that the job is so specialised, you really become an expert in your area, your clients and candidates get to know you and you become an ambassador for them, that’s a really special relationship to have with both clients and candidates.

Cons

Its recruitment, there are always going to be ups and downs! When it’s great.. Oh, it’s great. When it’s bad, it can be a little soul destroying. Being so target driven does stress even the calmest of people out, but this suits me, I'm better working under pressure! The hours are long, so it can feel like you are married to your job, but when you place that candidate or win that client, it’s worth it.

Sometimes the need for KPI's to be scrutinised all the time can be a bit stressful, on the odd week you might not have the time to be able to hit them and it can be hard to feel like you have done a good job if you are always being told you need to log everything!

Truly horrific

Former Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great benefits package
    - Outstanding Training
    - Good incentives

Cons

- Very little support for new employees on the job
    - Ignored unless you are an immediate superstar
    - Long hours and the expectation that you won't take a lunch break making the day even longer
    - Really poor commission structure

Pay more attention to your staff, be a little nicer about your clients and stop treating people like a number. I.e stop recruiting ten associate consultants with the expectation you'll keep two

Satisfied

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good work ethic
    Good experience

Cons

stressful
    working late
    competitive atmosphere that can be hard to deal with on occassions

Staying calm
    work-life balance to be taken into account more
    promotion

In a "Hays" of confusion

Former Employee - Resourcing Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Resourcing Consultant in London, England

I worked at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hours are good, the people are friendly most of the time, there are offices in many locations. The Hays brand is very strong and instantly recognisable

Cons

No one knows what they are doing. There is a fog of confusion in the business. Senior management needs to be more decisive and provide a clear direction. The lack of the latter is hampering the business. There is a lot of exposure to the economic climate more so than other businesses so that when things are bad, there are hugh redundancies and when things are good, the business goes on a hiring spree.

Draft and follow a clear business strategy - the business needs direction badly

New to recruitment, glad I'm with Hays

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've never worked in recruitment before so to have such an in depth training program and constant contact with a manager is a plus. Also being rewarded on success which brings out my competitive natue, which is then reflected in my progress and recognised by the whole office.

Cons

Sometimes things are not explained clearly enough or you will be told conflicting things by different people within the company. At the end of the day you have to go with whoevers opinion you think is best and be able to explain why.

Be clearer with expectations and consequences. Explain benefits better, rather than a hazy picture that we then realise we can't reach.