Hays plc Reviews

Updated 25 August 2014

3.8

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • Flexible approach to work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great training, International opportunities, good commission scheme (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable (in 8 reviews)

• When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Hays is a great organisation with fantastic career progression

Current Employee - Senior Business Manager  in  Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Senior Business Manager in Brighton, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The training you recieve is excellent and the company truly values itself on people. There is a real High performace culture within each team and reward is high for hard work and dedication

Cons

At times there can be a few to many channel leads meaning the reporting of figures can get repetitive.

Meritocracy with exceptional training and clear progression paths

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Chelmsford, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chelmsford, England

I have been working at Hays plc part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The offices are always busy with a positive vibe. You will never find a Hays conultant sitting on their laurels. There is always a job to be done. It can be stressful/hectic environment, playing middle man to an ever more varied and demanding client/candidate base, but the upbeat and healthy competitive nature within the offices help get you through. Management has seen changes for the better, with far more "nurturing" and guidence given to new consultants. Training is exceptional and always receives great feedback.

Cons

The job is all encompassing so it is hard to strike a good work/life balance if you are a parent or work part time. This isn't a negative on the company but down to the constrictures of the job which is based on your focus and efforts to acheive commission so quite frequently it might mean working "out of hours"

Great career progression and fantastic training and support

Current Employee - Director  in  Reading, England
    Current Employee - Director in Reading, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Clear career progression and targets, working for the No1 recruitment co in the UK with a global reach. Fantastic training, we are supported at every level, right from entry level through to Senior Management

Cons

No so much cons, but you do have to be up for a challenge and be prepared to work hard and stay motivated, you are expected to progress and deliver and grow with the company

Just to make sure we keep the standards and expectations high across the business and dont lose the core DNA that has made us so successful

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supportive and rewarding career at Hays

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Brighton, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Firstly the training at Hays is top notch; it gives you the best start at a job which can be very demanding. As a sales business there are high expectations for target hitting and they motivate you to successfully reach those expectations. They reward success and the commission structures are set to motivate you to want to do more!
    There is a real community feel within your team, office and even regionally or nationally, which is even more apparent when everyone meets for events and parties, of which there are quite a few!
    One of the things I love about the structure of Hays is that the job is so specialised, you really become an expert in your area, your clients and candidates get to know you and you become an ambassador for them, that’s a really special relationship to have with both clients and candidates.

Cons

Its recruitment, there are always going to be ups and downs! When it’s great.. Oh, it’s great. When it’s bad, it can be a little soul destroying. Being so target driven does stress even the calmest of people out, but this suits me, I'm better working under pressure! The hours are long, so it can feel like you are married to your job, but when you place that candidate or win that client, it’s worth it.

Sometimes the need for KPI's to be scrutinised all the time can be a bit stressful, on the odd week you might not have the time to be able to hit them and it can be hard to feel like you have done a good job if you are always being told you need to log everything!

New to recruitment, glad I'm with Hays

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Chelmsford, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chelmsford, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've never worked in recruitment before so to have such an in depth training program and constant contact with a manager is a plus. Also being rewarded on success which brings out my competitive natue, which is then reflected in my progress and recognised by the whole office.

Cons

Sometimes things are not explained clearly enough or you will be told conflicting things by different people within the company. At the end of the day you have to go with whoevers opinion you think is best and be able to explain why.

Be clearer with expectations and consequences. Explain benefits better, rather than a hazy picture that we then realise we can't reach.

Great career opportunities

Current Employee - Internal Recruitment  in  Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Internal Recruitment in Bristol, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people, the investment in your career by the business, management and training team and the rewards for your hard work such as uncapped commission, incentives, benefits package

Cons

It is very hard work, lots of challenges around the role of recruitment, but if you have a strong work ethic and are determined that actually makes it even more satisfying when you have successes

Keep doing what you are doing, the investment in time and training you make in your teams and the people you are bringing in is great

Fantastic place to work - suits progressive and career driven people

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Best training in the business, complete career path which is well structured and defined to encourage you to strive to the best of your ability. Strong team environment with the ability to run your own business within the remits of a large corporate that supports you. Strong supportive teams that take pride in training new starters and seeing them succeed.

Cons

High expecatations from the start - tough interview process but this is to ensure that people that that get through have the drive and ambition to succeed.

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Internal Recruitment  in  Chelmsford, England
    Current Employee - Internal Recruitment in Chelmsford, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent career opportunities with great benefits if you are like me and love to go on holiday I have been able to buy a extra 5 days. No only is the the job rewarding Hays also have great incentives I have been to Malta and Lisbon all paid for via Hays. Hays is a very sociable place to work with great management support.

Cons

Challenges understanding your market but with the support from the region you soon become an expert, Hays offer the best training.

Lead from the front

Good opportunites to progress and great support network and training programme throughout.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good opportunity to build a career, hard but very rewarding work with great bonus and incentive schemes. Ok basic salary but good commission structure to encourage you to be proactive and allow you to earn more commission. The more you put in the more you'll get out.

Cons

Long working hours. Can be demoralising when things don't go as you had planned but that's part of the job.

Review of catchment areas, some towns are being missed off BD lists as they are quite far from that areas office when other offices may be closer or easier to get to.

Great people, world class training, fantastic company.

Current Employee - Senior Manager/Business Director  in  Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager/Business Director in Bristol, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunities for talented people are endless, truly inspriational bunch of people. I am challenged and cry with laughter most days.

Cons

The job is difficult and those who don't give their all / see early success tend to get found out.

Having had recnet visits to our office from the CEO, FD, MD and other Senior Board members I can honestly say that the leadership is consitent and clear in the ambitious goals for the organisation.

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!