Hays plc Reviews

Updated 31 October 2014
3.8

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • The weeks are long as we work 8:30-6, however the recruitment industry has the reputation work hard play hard so the work life balance is good (in 7 reviews)

• Reasonable salary & good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and the expectation that you won't take a lunch break making the day even longer (in 22 reviews)

• Work-life balance balance can be difficult to adjust to if your not used to office life (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - /Associate Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - /Associate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Hays put a lot of focus into their training. I feel like a lot of time and effort is being invested in me and my future to help me in my job here at Hays as well as my future career. The company values and rewards hard work which shows in the work hard, play hard culture at Hays.

Cons

The nature of the job means that you have to be very resilient. Working with people results in unexpected events occurring which can make you feel like you have wasted a lot of your time on a specific candidate or client and nothing comes of it.

Management could help with further integration i.e. within specialisms, working closer with colleagues to understand their work, this could be achieved though brief weekly meetings. Prizes for hitting KPIs will increase work and ensure One Touch is kept updated.

Fantastic experience in progressive career.

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Support from higher management is superb and I feel very valued as an employee. All promises made to me at the beginning of my career have been fulfilled and I have found it to be an incredibly honest company. The training is fantastic and gives you the key skills to really progress through the company. Culture is very sociable with a work hard/play hard attitude. Lots of incentives and opportunities to get promoted.

Cons

It is a hard role with very long hours. Lots of small disappointments due to the nature of the industry and the unreliable nature of people in general. The industry attracts a few office gossipy types but no more so than any other large office environment.

More training for mid level staff looking to progress would be good, but communication is already at a very high level. Flexibility with regards to promotions would be good so as not to hold certain staff back when they are in a position to manage early in their career.

Great opportunities for entrepreneurial minded people who are comfortable in a people driven environment.

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The progression opportunities are amazing and you have a good chance to make a name for yourself.

Cons

I don't have any as of yet.

NA

Work Hard - Big Rewards

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best reason to work for Hays is the people you work with and the truly world class training and personal development available. The high performing culture suits anyone who is ambitious, task and people orientated and willing to learn and get stuck in. The is a very fast pace and the expectation is you work hard to gain all the monetary and reward benefits.

Cons

There are long hours and you have to be committed to work longer than your contract, there is no immediate financial reward in recruitment as success is made form long term relationships and repeat business which takes time to build. It can also be very stressful, the demands come from everyone you interact with, our customers, your colleagues, your management but most importantly yourself, you have to be prepared to be resilient.

Over the years the management interaction with all level of employees has improved dramatically and you can see the values and culture throughout the whole organisation, keep it up and keep listening.

A great company to work for, that offers fantastic commision and benefits if your willing to put the hours in.

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Ipswich, England
    Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Ipswich, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hays provide an extensive, impressive range of training days/weeks to develop your career within recruitment, with skills that can be used throughout your life. With a brilliant commision structure that gives you the potential of high earnings.

Cons

Work-life balance balance can be difficult to adjust to if your not used to office life. Working long hours you have to be willing to work hard every hour of the day. Targets and results can be difficult to meet.

I have been working at Hays for over a year and have had an amazing time, brilliant culture with great career prospects

Current Employee - National Internal Recruitment Coordinator in London, England
    Current Employee - National Internal Recruitment Coordinator in London, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture within Hays with an evident work hard play hard culture.
    There is a clear career progression structure and Hays is a very meritocratic company that awards based on performance

Cons

The challenges at Hays are that the KPI's and targets set can be quite demanding however they are there to push you and ultimately help you succeed.

Truly horrific

Former Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great benefits package
    - Outstanding Training
    - Good incentives

Cons

- Very little support for new employees on the job
    - Ignored unless you are an immediate superstar
    - Long hours and the expectation that you won't take a lunch break making the day even longer
    - Really poor commission structure

Pay more attention to your staff, be a little nicer about your clients and stop treating people like a number. I.e stop recruiting ten associate consultants with the expectation you'll keep two

Satisfied

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good work ethic
    Good experience

Cons

stressful
    working late
    competitive atmosphere that can be hard to deal with on occassions

Staying calm
    work-life balance to be taken into account more
    promotion

Supportive and rewarding career at Hays

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Brighton, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Firstly the training at Hays is top notch; it gives you the best start at a job which can be very demanding. As a sales business there are high expectations for target hitting and they motivate you to successfully reach those expectations. They reward success and the commission structures are set to motivate you to want to do more!
    There is a real community feel within your team, office and even regionally or nationally, which is even more apparent when everyone meets for events and parties, of which there are quite a few!
    One of the things I love about the structure of Hays is that the job is so specialised, you really become an expert in your area, your clients and candidates get to know you and you become an ambassador for them, that’s a really special relationship to have with both clients and candidates.

Cons

Its recruitment, there are always going to be ups and downs! When it’s great.. Oh, it’s great. When it’s bad, it can be a little soul destroying. Being so target driven does stress even the calmest of people out, but this suits me, I'm better working under pressure! The hours are long, so it can feel like you are married to your job, but when you place that candidate or win that client, it’s worth it.

Sometimes the need for KPI's to be scrutinised all the time can be a bit stressful, on the odd week you might not have the time to be able to hit them and it can be hard to feel like you have done a good job if you are always being told you need to log everything!

Hays is a great organisation with fantastic career progression

Current Employee - Senior Business Manager in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Senior Business Manager in Brighton, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The training you recieve is excellent and the company truly values itself on people. There is a real High performace culture within each team and reward is high for hard work and dedication

Cons

At times there can be a few to many channel leads meaning the reporting of figures can get repetitive.