Health Fitness Reviews

77 reviews filtered by
3.2
Health Fitness President & CEO Paul Lotharius
Paul Lotharius

Pros
  • The full time positions offer salary and good benefits as well as paid time off (in 5 reviews)

• Great people, travel opportunities, comprehensive benefits packages, growth opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No bonuses, very low pay, and not alot of room for growth (in 7 reviews)

• They don't listen to the employees and wonder why there is a high turnover (in 3 reviews)

1. Doctor in indian system of medicine,Hatha yoga teacher

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Pālampur (India)
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Pālampur (India)

I have been working at Health Fitness (more than 3 years)

Pros

service to society is the greatest thing

Cons

holistic health ,live for others

Advice to Management

honesty

2. Health Fitness Assistant

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

Great entry level experience for the fitness industry. Well rounded atmosphere

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. No room for advancing

Advice to Management

Open up more opportunities in the northeast

3. Health Fitness Professional

Current Employee - Health Fitness Professional
    Current Employee - Health Fitness Professional

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent exposure to the corporate wellness industry. Great programs and high ideals. Corporate world and corporate skills and responsibilities meets personal training, group exercise, and fitness center management.

Cons

Not a place to make a good living commensurate with the work being done. Fine for mature competent twentysomethings just starting out.

Advice to Management

Fight to achieve competitive salaries that are adequate for your degreed/certified employees that moves beyond the stigma of "working in a gym" that obviously hinders this position. It's an extension of human resources with its focus on health improvement initiatives and employee wellness. If the position was seated in the HR department, it would easily command up to 50% greater salaries!

Great place to work at with wonderful management and teams!

I worked at Health Fitness

Pros

Very team oriented and access to a variety of services for clients

Cons

Work-life balance is challenging at times.

6. FT Remote Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) Flexibility. In my position as a remote full-time employee delivering services in the KC area, I have maintained a phenomenal work/life balance. You never can be sure of the weather, or predict when you might get sick, so being able to work from home was a huge plus. This would be one of the top reasons I took the position in the first place.
    2) Management. Obviously I can only speak for myself, but my department had a relatively quick management turnover but steadied itself with probably the best supervisor I've had to date. Again, this is just our department, but this manager was able to communicate extremely effectively with our team remotely and actually implemented much of our input.
    3) Position. The role I currently serve may not have all the advancement opportunities one could hope for (see "Cons" section) but has been very beneficial in various aspects of professional growth, such as public speaking and engagement.
    4) Compensation. This is a 'tweener, because while though salary might not be on the high end of the spectrum, nor potential raises, the compensation is still nothing to shake a stick at when one considers the flexibility as well as cell phone and mileage reimbursement, once and twice per month, respectively.

Cons

1) Advancement. My manager has been great at following through and inquiring about our professional goals and what steps we may take to learn more about HealthFitness as a company and the opportunities therein. The only problem is that they're headquartered out of Minneapolis, and more than likely a meaningful move up would involve relocation.
    2) Compensation. As noted above, this is a 'tweener because everyone would love to make more money and as I as told in my initial interview, most remote employees work two jobs. That honesty was appreciated.
    3) Electronic Systems/Platforms. Whether it's unveiling a new iPad tool for screenings or updating their work order environments, sometimes it feels like the company is quick to want to jump on the "new" thing or rush to a platform that may save them money in the long run but the short run is a stumble, trip, and fall.
    4) Work is here 'n there. I'm only saying this for those who may be interested in joining as an independent contractor for screenings. Remember, the role is "independent contractor" so you are not guaranteed events on a regular basis or at all. I've worked events for numerous companies since 2004 and this is supplemental income, not a full-time job.

Advice to Management

With PGs to worry about and many eggs in a few very important baskets, my only concern is rushing a system and implementing it before it's ready to be unveiled. Don't get me wrong, even apps go through version updates and tweaks are always going to have to be made, but sometimes paying a little more for certain systems can pay off even better in the long run by retaining clientele with the fewest amount of headaches possible.

7. It's a starting job but not a place for long-term employment

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

The people you work with are great.

Cons

Little room for advancement and no chance to make any money.

Happy employee!

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful training, responsive management team, responsive support from several departments, pretty flexible work schedule

Cons

There is a super quick learning curve, but I don't know that that's exactly a con, just a challenge to overcome. Also, I think it's not really a con either, but perhaps gym membership subsidy? I mean we are a Health and Fitness company, so we compensated with assistance and encouragement to do that. It's a pretty standard benefit these days.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Continue with the great communication long after the employee is hired and encourage professional growth.

9. Eh.

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free breakfast on Fridays. Treadmill workstations. Some really great people.

Cons

No bonus potential, no room for advancement. HR managers are uncaring, Pto is horrible, 401(k) match is not competitive, health benefits horrendously expensive and getting worse every year.

Advice to Management

Benefits need to be upgraded and cost less. HR managers need sensitivity training.

A good place to work, a lot of young health professionals work here. Everyone is so friendly.

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

Good stepping stone into the health field. Most of the people working here are recent graduates, so it's easy to meet a lot of people. It's nice that you actually use your education to inform people about lifestyle choices, it's a fulfilling job.

Cons

The hours aren't the best, usually working from 12-9. A lot of the staff is overqualified for the position, and the pay doesn't compensate for it.

Incredible People, Amazing Potential

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people, their passion, leadership, and the ability to make a difference are the highlights of the company. It's not a company that's plagued by politics; rather, it's an organization of hard working, caring, bright, dedicated people.

Cons

The biggest challenge is workload. The organization runs lean, so it takes discipline, time management skills and the ability to prioritize to stay focused.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You're on the right path, in my humble opinion, and I am excited about the future of HealthFitness. Leadership is comprised of some of the most genuine and talented people I have had the privilege to work for.