Heartland Payment Systems

Heartland Payment Systems Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Heartland Payment Systems Chairman and CEO Bob Carr

Bob Carr

Pros:
  • "Calls at Heartland Service Center are answered in less than 6 seconds by a LIVE person"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Their customer service team is the best I've ever seen"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "It took a series of taking the sales force for granted that finally resulted in a mad dash for the door"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Very litigious and take everyone from companies to sales people to court should you be perceived as crossing them"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Depends on how it works for you

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

ProsCompany means to deal fairly and honestly with customers; probably believes it means to do so with employees. You likely won't feel you're being asked to do things you think are "evil".

Company has been remarkably successful in hiring people with good attitudes, willing to work with others. Curiously, that doesn't always mean the attendant benefits ensue, but 97% or so of the people with whom you interact will at least try to be pleasant and helpful.

Actual workload cost to your life varies by position and, quite frankly, what you're willing to assume/put up with - my case, generally 40-45 hours, but some people, much more.

They pay reliably and on time (something you might not notice without contracting experience). Compensation MAY include bonuses. Compensation MAY include a stock grant after a couple of years - and they won't necessarily tell you about it ahead of time - a bit strange.

There is a 401K with up to a 3/8 match on up to 8% of your pay. Health insurance is subsidized. They offer LTD and STD, and $50K life insurance.

Company SEEMS to be gaining market share, and in any case has a revenue stream.

ConsBottom line first: Could not easily recommend to someone already "satisfactorily" employed.

Benefits are weak. Health insurance is high-deductible and they offer an HSA, but you'd better do the math on what you're actually going to pay out. They offer 3 weeks + 1 day PTO to start - but that includes whatever time you take off sick. The STD and LTD are capped rather low for professionals. You can buy more life insurance than the $50K they provide, but you'd better do it soon after hire, or you'll go through underwriting. Health is UHC, most of the other coverage is UNUM. You can do distinctly better on benefits elsewhere. (Admittedly, you could also do worse.)

Company has many places where they imagine they are doing "agile" development "using Scrum". It is not that agile or Scrum are bad things. It is the "imagine" part.

Career opportunities depend very much on where in the firm you are and where you want to go. There are some places where advancement is impossible regardless of merit.

Knowledge tends to be silo-ed. There are a number of people who know stuff that is not shared in an organized way. This makes it difficult to accomplish things optimally, or even close. Moreover, the payment card industry is not well standardized, and what's needed for one situation may contradict what's needed for another, and this is the kind of knowledge not well shared. It is not by and large an intentional issue, but one which doesn't receive appropriate management attention.

Annual review is about as silly and pointless as in many large firms.

Credit is often given to those who put out the fires they themselves started rather than to those who avoid them by wise foresight. Perhaps this is "normal" for tech segments of a sales-oriented firm.

Like many firms, they staff many unneeded positions. The people so employed may work well and diligently, yet at work unlikely to provide value. The firm uses project managers of the kind who are held responsible for work delivered but have no authority to compel it. On top of them is layered an enterprise project management organization which, kindly put, is annoying yet valueless.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring for about a year and use better the people you have. Arrange EFFECTIVE means to share knowledge; establish a "must-know" BOK for each functional group and train for it early after hire.

The residual income and portfolio equity are great...but Heartland hasn't figured out the large market.

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHeartland provides passive residual income on every account and a vesting opportunity that allows each sales person to own their portfolio of accounts. Virtual office and total control of schedule is fantastic.

ConsThe training is abysmal...there isn't any. The scope of knowledge required to perform competently in the field takes months to acquire and the only training provided is how to set an appointment. In large markets like Chicago where competition is fierce and the market is over saturated it's tough for a sales person to buy into a job with no salary and little product training.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that competing in the US varies by geography. What works in Des Moines doesn't necessarily work in LA or New York, or even Atlanta. Provide more structured training and give your new employees a fighting chance in the field.

I am Blessed to be a part of this company. Five Stars from Texas

Territory Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsYou are paid for your performance in the sales field. I will never go back to a salaried position again.
Active Sales Reps that follow Heartland Methodologies will earn $$$$$$$, monthly residuals and gain portfolio equity.
The "94 Comp Plan" has been in place since....... 1994. It hasn't changed since inception and I am compensated greatly for my contribution in the sales force.
We are all W-2 employees. As a prior business owner, I'd never want to be a 1099 contractor. Most sales people are terrible at taxes and fail to save money to pay them directly.
Our Founder and CEO, Bob Carr, has tremendous integrity, foresight and passion that bleeds into our entire workforce. His vision and values have created a culture like no other I've witnessed before.
There are ample opportunities for growth and advancement.
I get to watch my kids grow and enjoy a healthy work/life balance.

ConsI don't have any complaints about Heartland or the opportunity I've been given. This can be the career of a lifetime for the right personality. I share my perspective as an employee that has finally discovered what I'll be when I grow up..... A Heartlander.

Speaking from the sales field, this is not a career for the weak of heart. A successful sales rep will have a very special skill set.

The Industry is very competitive and unregulated. Payment Technology is evolving quickly and Reps need to be adaptive to frequent change.
Experience in cold calling, networking, leading appointments, and engaging C-Level Executives are valuable assets as a sales professional.
This should not be considered an entry level sales position.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm proud of what the Leadership Team is doing and their vision for the future. I look forward to looking back in five years to realize what Heartland has accomplished.

Risky

Relationship Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsAutonomy. Emphasis on getting results. The culture is a winning culture. The leadership in my direct chain of command is high integrity and accountability. The company reputation is very high. The job is high activity based which I prefer. I love the job. It's one I can definitely see myself doing long term.

ConsThe Financial risk is high. A good metaphor is stock options. Your paycheck is like stock options. You get paid and that money is what you owe back to the company if the customer leaves within the contract period. Even if it has nothing to do with you as the sales person. Every business you sign has a different classification and is underwritten with different criterion. So you get paid different ever time. You also have no precise expectation of what you exact take home pay will be.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent on how sales people get paid on different kinds of businesses. It should be disclosed in hiring that you would owe back commissions. That was never discussed in my hiring. I had to find out later from someone else. Let me write off the equipment I buy for my customers. Also provide a detailed report of everything you charge me on my AR.

Seeking a position

Sales (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems for less than a year

ProsEthical management drives entire teams

Cons100% Commission, but I knew that, surprised at some non reimbursable expenses

Advice to Senior ManagementNone yet

Success was once possible

Division Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsIf you want to learn the ins and outs of the merchant processing industry, Heartland is the way to go. Of course you will be taught that Heartland is the best, that the rest of the industry is full of liars and cheaters, but you will get a good overall insight of what the industry is all about. Annual Summit is an opportunity to meet colleagues from across the country.

ConsMinimum sales requirements for a commission only position. Managers that are constantly harping on your daily activity. Despite promises that the pay formula would never change, major changes were implemented that cost most sales reps over 25 to 50% of their income. Incompetent managers who only follow what the directive from upper management is. Advancement to manager roles will mean no sales, no income. Do not go for any Division Managers position, it is not a working model.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your senior sales reps (if any of them are still there, that is). The bottom line of Heartland may be very profitable to a few, many in sales cannot make a living wage anymore. Go back to the days where Heartland felt like a different place to work, where belonging meant something.

Great opportunity to earn a 6 figure income

Division Manager (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Prosuncapped income potential & state of the art technology to intelligently go to market with continued success.

Consthere could be a longer ramp up period depending on your skill set.

Advice to Senior Managementlook more into retaining top performers.

Arrogant but ethical for the merchant

Relationship Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWide range of products.
Treat merchants fairly.

Cons100percent commission in a challenging space you will have to go out of pocket considerably before you ramp up and despite being a commission only job they will expect a lot of your time for senseless rah rah sales calls and treat you like they're providing a salary.

Politics overshawdows ability to succeed and group effectiveness worried not to make a mistake.

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)
Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLoss of and lack of talent or leadership leaves opportunity for improvement abundance. Frequent chances to meet new people. Lack of vision and poor decisions means theres plenty of work and things to fix even if the right way won't followed.

ConsEmphasis on procedure and rules rather than discretion and pratical solutions. This creates waste and inefficiencies. Having standards changed to fit the situation takes an act of congress so that the lowest level of rule-pushers dictate progress. Creates frustrated employees and alot of turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscovery and understanding ought to overrule misguided directives and lack of vision. Waste is abundant as defined by Lean manufacturing techniques.

Deceitful Hiring Practices & Dummy Revenue Numbers

Relationship Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsRemote office sales job. Do a good job of marrying technology with sales. Multi-product sales opportunity.

ConsDivision Managers interview candidates and say they can expect to earn between 75K and 150K their first year. The few superstars that are left all averaged 20K-35K in their first year. Micromanagement for commission only job. Require you to install a minimum amount of "margin" or revenue each month for commission only job. Division Managers flip accounts on last days of the month by swiping pre-loaded cards to install these accounts so margin is created. Problem is that if merchant is not ready to process or business is not open yet RMs do not get paid but manager hits their "margin" revenue number. Assume this is what they are reporting to the Street? Bully management style requiring sales reps to "check-in" throughout the day yet managers do not spend any time in the field. Lowest payout in the industry. Claim that signing bonuses far outweigh low residual payout yet if that account leaves within 12 months or processing volume is less than stated on the statement sales rep has to pay that money back. Only company in the industry where your portfolio must generated $10,000 is revenue before you "own" your residuals (vesting). Competition vests your residuals from first deal installed. No expense allowance or reimbursement- Trainings are attended off site at your expense. $25 month cost or $300 per year on every deal signed up. Health Insurance $700+ per month out of pocket with $3500 deductible. Can get a better policy with Affordable Care Act in place. Sales lead though few and far between are given to weaker performers so they can attain their Win rather than to the RMs that are top producers.

Advice to Senior ManagementInsure that RDs and DMs are appointed based on merit rather than nepotism. Do not pay DMs a salary yet expect TMs and RMS to be commission only- Conflicting goals. In ultra competitive metro areas adjust comp plan so you can retain reps where cost of living is higher. In these areas eliminate management layers so bigger piece of the pie is available to the RMs and retention can increase. Stop the practice of DMs flipping accounts on the last days of the month so they hit their revenue number. It does not help the RM, the merchant, nor the shareholders that think this revenue is real.

Worked for Heartland Payment Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Heartland Payment Systems reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Heartland Payment Systems CEO Bob Carr. All 210 reviews are posted anonymously by Heartland Payment Systems employees.