Heinz
www.heinz.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

Heinz Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Bernardo Hees

Pros:
  • "Great people, great atmosphere, great benefits, excellent products, great exposure"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Excellent working environment, nice supporting colleagues, very understanding about work-life balance"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be a challenge depending on the department in which you work"
    in 20 reviews
  • "All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pathetic. Recommend you look elsewhere for employment.

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou will gain a tremendous amount of experience. This experience will be focused around operating a business at it's lowest ethical standards, making profits at the personal expense of others, and creating value through slashing a company down to it's bone. There cannot be worse situations out there, which means when you move on to another company you'll be completely prepared for the worst scenarios imaginable.

You will also learn how to operate in an intrusive open office environment. There is at least 4 people to each table, TVs that play a continuous loop of Heinz propaganda, and people yelling battle cries.

ConsWhy pathetic? Do you notice how the most recent 'five star reviews!' all have a very similar cons section? Each one centers around the theme that some 'old Heinz folks are resistant to change,' and that some people may complain about the work/life balance but the company feels like a start-up so it's OK! These robotic reviews have all been submitted by Heinz in an effort to boost their glassdoor ratings because of how desperately pathetic we are. The top talent that survived the cuts are all looking to get out and our reputation has made it impossible to fill the embarrassing amount of job openings. There are several examples of someone who has put in their two weeks notice and immediately gets walked out of the building. Instead of thanking that individual for the many years of service and countless hours of building what was once a great company, the 3G staff takes offence and walks the individual out of the building...very professional.

When did the term 'start up' apply to a 145 year old company? I believe the correct term is that it's a 'broken' company. The 3G staff arbitrarily laid off thousands of employees and shut down plants based on the ill-advised recommendations of outside consultants. Very little due diligence was done and we are now realizing the implications of these decisions. Our service levels are in the bottom of the industry, customers are dropping our products, and our sales/consumption levels are plummeting. It was only a couple years ago that Heinz was awarded the 'Vendor of the Year' by some of the top retailers in the world. Today, it's an absolute struggle to figure out how to sell a case of ketchup.

Sadly, 3G will make money on this acquisition and it's for all of the wrong reasons. Sales will continue to plummet, but this will be more than offset by the SG&A cuts that have been implemented through lay-offs, factory closings, and juvenile cost cutting measures (the company does not provide pens, paper, post-its, and each employee is only allowed 130 copies per month....seriously). It all comes down to how one defines profitability. Do you want to become profitable by cutting costs at the expense of people, factories, and brands? Or do you want to become profitable by BUILDING a business and CREATING value? At Heinz it is all of the former and none of the latter.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice is worthless as they will continue to follow their playbook until they spin Heinz off. If they would have listened to the valuable knowledge of individuals who understand this complex business, many of our mistakes would have been avoided.

Also, your battle cry: "Let's go grow? Heinz!" is grammatically incorrect. When did a definitive statement also become a question?

Interesting place these days........love the fake reviews on here as well.

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe new marketing leadership is fantastic, before all the marketing decisions were driven by thoughts hunches and no data. Now they are required to bring data to the table for Heinz to make an investment. Finally someone with a financial mind and common sense! He is also riding the R&D group for real innovation! He has been one of the few positive lights in this whole organization shift.

ConsBenefits were decreased, but you can't really blame 3G for that change. That was coming due to Obama care. Goals are unrealistic, even though you have goals, executive leadership asks you to go and work on other projects. When you ask about the projects not being in your MBO's, they get angry and push back. There is a huge lack of trust between current employees and executive leaders who all came from 3G capital with an exception of a few.

When they laid off people last August they didn’t keep the best people, they kept the most economical people. They cut some industry leading R&D people even though there never really has been any true innovation at Heinz outside of the packaging arena for a couple of years now.

My prediction: Heinz was around a $10.5B company they will drop to around an $8B company in less than 2 years, but will be more profitable hence making them the "best food company in the world" as 3G continuously communicate to the Heinz world.

Also there is definitively a miss trust between the Sr Leadership and all levels of employees, and frankly racism comes to mind. Especially when you are in meetings with 3G people and they begin speaking Portuguese in the middle of the meeting to each other and cut everyone else in the room out of the conversation.

All of the MBO’s (Goals) are set up to pit various functions against each other, it is very comical and leads to constant fights, back stabbing etc. 75% of the company is looking for jobs, another 10% is waiting for a package, and the last 15% are the new people they hired.
Oh yes, regarding these outlandish posts below saying how great the company is. They are not real posts and should be taken down immediately. 3G hired a bunch of MBA’s graduates to come in to become management trainees at the end of their rotation they’ve been promised Sr Manager positions. These same kids were the worst of the worst MBA students and are making a very small amount of money right now because that is all Heinz had to offer. Most of their days are spent playing candy crush, it is very comical.

The sad part is, I was never going to post a review here until I saw all the fake / forced posts below.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership wont listen, but I'll give it a shot. Fix the MBO's they are pitting groups against each other and it is leading to an awful culture. But then again maybe this is what you were attempting to have happen!

"This is no place for Family"

Future Former Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 8 years

Prosincome potential, advancement opportunities through attrition

Consburn-out, lack of balance, lack of care/concern, singular focus, good people with rich Company history continue to flee every week

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen senior leaders in the organization are on the record about family life balance in such a way, I know that this is no longer the place for me (or my family).

Don't be fooled.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUsed to be a few! At this point, I struggle to think of even one thing to list here.

Most of the employees there are first-rate (and really deserve far better).

ConsI left last year and didn't intend to post a review, but all of these recent glowing 4-5 star reviews have compelled me to speak up. Don't be fooled by this laughable white-washing attempt.

By all accounts, Heinz is an horrendous place to be right now - the few friends who remain (and who escaped the multiple rounds of brutal layoffs) have nothing positive to say. Employees now do the work of at least 3 people while packed like cattle at card tables (collaboration!). Of course, benefits have been cut to the bone (and were headed in that direction well before 3G anyway).

This used to be a good place to work - and it's truly sad to see that 3G has decimated what was once a proud organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm pretty sure management isn't open to advice, so I'll just skip this.

Avoid at all costs.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Heinz

ProsGood brand name in the CPG and FS industry, well known with customers and an in demand product.

ConsLack of innovative products and poor marketing/product launches. Customer service is an absolute joke. Avoid at all costs. Company does not care about advancing employees or assisting current employees find alternate positions. All about the bottom line, could care less about the happiness of their employees.

Legendary Brand Killed by New Owners

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI worked at Heinz for six year. Heinz was a great iconic company that I was proud to for work. Employees were treated with respect and rewarded for hard work. Opportunities for advancement were offered to those that went above and beyond the scope of their current job. While there were tough times, we got through them as a team. Never let a colleague fail was a mantra.

ConsThe Brazilians brought a culture of watching your back, requiring employees to give up a personal life and forgot any perks such a benefits and bonuses. All employees were made to feel inadequate and uneducated. Waves of layoffs required the remaining employees to do the work of 4 to 5 people. Customers were NOT the focus of the company -- making money was. I lost all respect for the management and felt the customers lost respect for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the way you are conducting business. The customer should always come first. List to employees who KNOW what the customer wants. You are destroying an iconic brand and losing the trust of the American people. Quit demanding that current employees post positive reviews to save their jobs.

Moral low as the day of the bloodletting

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking with great talent and people. Dont know how much longer employees will take it.

ConsTalented workers leaving, penny pinching, all projects are based on cost out, no innovation in pipeline because they dont want to spend money for it. Implenting Voluntary Resignation Program makes its worse. Everyone wants to leave but realistically not viable with the current job markets so your're stuck. Some are lucky and can take it. I dont think 3G knows what to do with a big food company. Benefits are being taken away.
I could write much more but dont have space.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop planting these positive reviews. They have to be from the people who are in HR who want to average out reviews. Listen to the real employees!

Gotta get those numbers!!!

I have been working at Heinz

ProsThis job marginally better than collecting unemployment. The union employees are the only reason I have not quit yet. If you are single and have no life apply now!

ConsThe only thing important is the amount of product made each day. Not working conditions, or how much time you have between shifts. Pay is only $10 for the first four years!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you pay your employees better they will work harder.

Not for the faint of heart, but for the courageous of spirit

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTransparency, consistency of message and absolute understanding of what's expected of you. Is it always easy? No. Is it always the road that you would choose or decision you would make? No. It is absolutely about working hard, delivering your results and seeing the payoff.

Having worked for Heinz before the acquisition I can count the number of times that our former CEO made time for "the commoners" on one hand. Our current CEO is very much engrained in every aspect of the business. He is accessible and makes the time to talk to employees. He does not shy away from, or make excuses for, the high expectations that he has of us. Who wouldn't want to be a part of an organization where mediocracy is not okay?

Things have changed, and quite frankly they needed to change. We weren't winning in the marketplace or differentiating ourselves as an employer of choice. We were middle of the pack. I would rather be a part of an organization that is trying to win than one that settles for the crumbs.

Those employees who are yearning for the "good old days" are looking at a past different than what I experienced. I know that I am a part of something big - something great. With any change there is doubt and vulnerability, but if you don't try you never know if you can win.

ConsSome of the tools brought from 3G have the right intent, but the execution wasn't adjusted for our organization. The cut and paste philosophy doesn't always work and can actually have an unintended impact on the employees - make us feel like you're creating tools, policies and procedures that work for us, our company, our industry. A little care in implementation and communication goes a long way.

There is still jockeying for position among some of our leaders which turns into name dropping as an influencing tactic. In the true spirit of ownership, ideas and decisions should be made based on their merit, not relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to walk the halls. Treat each interaction with employees as an opportunity to re-recruit the talented team who wants to be here. As leaders, you are constantly evaluating the health of the organization and the caliber of our talent. As employees we are doing the same based on your leadership, your communication and your ability to win. Don't expect us to follow - lead us.

Great Place

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, great atmosphere, great benefits, excellent products, great exposure. My manager was excellent. He afforded me a great deal of latitude and I was empowered to develop myself and my career.

Cons3G capital. They came in and gutted the place. Heinz went from a vibrant collaborative company with excellent resources. 3G changed all that. The company is now cut to the bone. Shame.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not cut too deep. The buyout by Berkshire and 3G was supposed to elevate the company. Instead you are making things more difficult.

Worked for Heinz? Contribute to the Community!

Heinz Videos

Heinz – Why Work for Us?

The H.J. Heinz Company, headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, has been producing high-quality foods for 145 years. Famous for our iconic brands on all continents, Heinz provides delicious, nutritious and convenient… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Heinz reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Heinz CEO Bernardo Hees . All 209 reviews are posted anonymously by Heinz employees.