Heinz

www.heinz.com
Employer Engaged

Short termist driven by daily sales. Work, work, work culture

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great brands
    Great people
    Great commercial attitude

Cons

Schizophrenic attitude were departments are played off against one another - doubling the workload
    Lack of long term strategy: explaining daily sales variances rather than planning for success
    Macho culture: work long hours, what are weekends? holidays are for wimps.

Get a stronger inspiring strategy
    Sustainable profitable growth is a "catch all" but means nothing at the same time
    Its a long journey to make working at Heinz as great a feeling as consuming their products

Great

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Good Pay
    Good Bonus
    Great Experience
    Exposure to upper echelons of the organisation

Cons

Deminishing opportunities for supply chain proffesionals.
    Short term thinking.
    Lack of decision makers.

keep doing what works well, however develop hr systems.

Great place to work if you like breadth of role and being pushed.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Hayes, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Hayes, England

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Great breadth in role. You get great strategic overviews and can be involved at a high level.

Cons

Systems!!! Processes need work and more innovation is needed. Not world class yet.

Keep pushing leadership initiatives and training. Stay lean, don't get too bloated.

Great brands, shame about the leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England

I worked at Heinz

Pros

Fantastic brands and some great people working hard to maintain the success in the UK of brands like Heinz Beanz, Heinz Tomato Ketchup & HP Sauce

Cons

An "us and them" feeling that exist between middle and senior management, which is triggered by the leadership style at the top, and the revolving door of people in the company leaving (some willingly, some not).

Listen to and respect the employees - it is the people who make the brands, who make the business.

Good Ol'Boy company

Former Employee - Heinz Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Heinz Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong Brands, great distribution, product mix, innovation.

Cons

Cost prohibitive products, customers moving away from brand because of price increases. Everyone gets laid off or let go.

Lower your margins and let people buy your products because they like them....not so you can line your pockets.

Internship

I worked at Heinz

Pros

Office culture, work-life balance, training

Cons

Small team, IT system, database

Good opportunities

Current Employee - Quality Technologist
    Current Employee - Quality Technologist

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Good opportunities.really good people to work with.

Cons

Zbb, cost cutting is demoralising.

The reviews are true.

I worked at Heinz

Pros

If you are willing to embrace 3G values and work extremely hard, you will climb very fast. Here are some good things about the company:

-Upper management goes out of their way to make themselves visible and honest
    -Very young culture, not a good fit for everyone though
    -Good trainee programs
    -genuinely descent pay
    -awesome micronutrient campaign

Cons

Now, here are the REAL 3G values:

-working 60 hours/week and getting paid for 40
    -keeping employees stressed
    -pathetic work/life balance (Bernardo literally laughed in my face when talking about work/life balance)
    -No tuition reimbursement or any motivation for further education
    -moving yourself/family/all your belongings across the country MANY times to move up
    -telling your subordinates to work harder when they already work 60 hours/week
    -backstabbing good people (although this happens everywhere to some extent)
    -greedy 90-day payment terms that make many people angry
    -promoting insanity. When Bernardo said "This is Heinz, we crazy!" he was literally not kidding. Heinz has the most insane culture of any company I've ever worked for. I don't mean the values, I mean the culture.

But wait! There's more!

-Meritocracy is a good concept but it's only half-true. The people who make names for themselves definitely move up quick, but not everyone is put into situations where they can make a big difference. Upper management is comprised of 2 groups of people: Brazilians who have worked for 3G before, and people who earned their success but were fortunate enough to be placed in situations where they could make a big difference.
    -From my own experience, many HR employees are incompetent and make no effort to actually help people. There are some genuinely good HR people out there though.

3G doesn't deserve my advice and wouldn't listen anyway. To everyone else, keep up the good work on the micronutrient campaign. That campaign and the delicious variety of Heinz products are the only good things going for the company.

Buyer

I worked at Heinz

Pros

Great supply chain sourcing process

Cons

Under paid and didn't pay bonus

Mostly bad, really consider working here.

I have been working at Heinz full-time

Pros

I really cant think of any Pros. I would say the people that you work with have a good sense of humor, and can be nice and friendly at times. Heinz is a good resume builder, great way to Network, and overall a Great Brand and product.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin. Heinz Processes are completely broken. i would say at least in every functional department there are Processes that are missing key steps or no processes in place at all. In terms of the companies goals, Each department has different goals that do not align. Be prepared to work really hard and not receive what you expect because of other individuals not putting in their time or effort. All of the goals are not even in one's control. Most of the service level issues are also caused by Third party facilitates that do not even have to get scored.

In terms of the young environment, it is true. I am also considered a young individual but i did not take offense to the comments on here . I agree that there are too many young and inexperienced individuals working here. Before Heinz was bought out some employees would not have even been considered for such opportunities . I feel as if over the past year Heinz has hired everyone and anyone. Most people don't even have logistics degrees or backgrounds, or went to schools that are not even Nationally ranked or known for business. What ever happened to having experience for a job? You would think that someone in Transportation, planning, or logistics would have at least 2-3 years... it seems like now if you have a general business degree you get hired. Most of the job postings hardly require anything anymore. In addition, I really question how HR decides to place individuals in terms of experience.

Be prepared to work a job where being intelligent wont get you anywhere and somehow doing less will actually get you recognized. Also if you are on a team be prepared to get compared to everyone else on your team as an equal even though you may put in 10 times the amount of work. It is so bad that some individuals think they actually are comparable. Many individuals do the bare Minimum and somehow get noticed. Most employees have no background when it comes to logistics and analytics. I realize this happens in many organizations but i have never seen something so bad.

When it comes to flow of information , Communication is horrible. Be prepared to receive 10-15 email chains a day all about the same issue or problem because no one thinks being organized is a key value. Responsibility is also a huge issue. Everyone thinks another individual or department is the person that is suppose to be executing a task. HR should really think about re-writing the roles and responsibilities for each job description.

Lastly, as sad as it is, be prepared to get taking advantage of. If you are smart you can either do two things: Share your ideas or keep them to yourself. Politics are everywhere. I wonder when the smart individuals will finally get recognized instead of the individuals who suck up ?

People looking to work here: Really read the reviews, I made the mistake by thinking that all the people that wrote bad comments were people who probably did not try hard or got fired. Also if you are an individual who is coming from another large organization...really think about your decision. I know a lot of people think WOW Heinz it would be such an honor... things have changed and they literally hire anyone now. There are a lot of people who are very talented here but there are a lot of people who also are not. If you are a person who is coming from another company who has high status you are probably better off staying there. If you are a young professional, Who really excelled in college, have had several other interviews, Graduated in the top of their class.. be prepared to work with young individuals who could have been at the other part of the spectrum.

Let the individuals go that are not qualified and bring in people who are more experienced for the position especially in the planning positions. If you are a new Grad and only have 3 months experience at an internship..why are you even being considered to work for Heinz? We are talking about a fortune 500 company here.

Actually listen to people's advice. Any customer could go on Glass door and read these articles. If you don't change this blog it s only going to get worst. Imagine if a CEO of one of your customers was on hear reading this.

GO BACK TO THE OLD HEINZ. Please get rid of 3G.