Heinz

Updated 17 December 2014
Updated 17 December 2014
2.0

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge depending on the department in which you work (in 33 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work if you like breadth of role and being pushed.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Hayes, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Hayes, England

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Great breadth in role. You get great strategic overviews and can be involved at a high level.

Cons

Systems!!! Processes need work and more innovation is needed. Not world class yet.

Keep pushing leadership initiatives and training. Stay lean, don't get too bloated.

Great brands, shame about the leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England

I worked at Heinz

Pros

Fantastic brands and some great people working hard to maintain the success in the UK of brands like Heinz Beanz, Heinz Tomato Ketchup & HP Sauce

Cons

An "us and them" feeling that exist between middle and senior management, which is triggered by the leadership style at the top, and the revolving door of people in the company leaving (some willingly, some not).

Listen to and respect the employees - it is the people who make the brands, who make the business.

Believe it!

Former Employee - Group Leader in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Group Leader in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm a former employee based on the 3G takeover. I loved working at Heinz prior to that time. It was an amazing company with great colleagues, decent benefits, good salary and bonus structure and lots of freedom to do good work. The 3G takeover was a sad day in the long and great history of Heinz based on what I saw transpire and what I've heard from colleagues who stayed after I left. Read the other reviews carefully as much of the discussion on the poor practices are TRUE. Buyer Beware....

Cons

Too many to discuss here-- the work-life balance went out the window. Friends have told me people are required to work late in to the evening; even week ends for R&D. Crazy!! We all worked hard but there's a limit to what is reasonable.

Review the other Glassdoor comments and hold the mirror up to yourself and the leadership team. The picture isn't pretty!

Heinz is Growing a Better World

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Very talented employees, fun/young environment, learning a ton.

Cons

Long hours, but worth it

Continue to reward your good employees for their dedication.

Great people, bad management and cero motivation and professional development plans

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Colleagues and products are great

Cons

New management is not interested at all in motivating the employees nor promoting professional development plans.
    The only focus is cost saving which for the employees does not bring a lot of new and exciting things to learn.

As mentioned on multiple occasions management should start focusing on motivating people and, since the type of projects are not very exciting, at least promote more professional development plans.
    Otherwise more and more people will leave the company just as it´s happening right now.

Things have changed for the worse

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Heinz

Pros

Great brand. Used to be a good culture

Cons

The current management wants to only make money. They will put it back on the market soon

Let things be

Good people, crappy management!

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Work is good and steady!

Cons

What a joke! From HR down to supervisors! Favoritism is crazy and if you have an issue that needs taken care of especially up in HR, you better take care of it yourself! They talk to you like your an idiot, no respect and that's if you can get a hold of them because they DONT answer the phones or call you back! They tell every bodies business to anybody! Everybody knows your business before you punch in! Very unprofessional management!!!

Get NEW management!!!!

Promising

Current Employee - Associate Food Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Food Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm young and just starting out in the industry. Heinz gave me a chance.

There is no where to go but up.

Cons

Everything. Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic. No....no I'm not.

This company is a mess. We are dropping customers like flies because leadership (I'm looking at you Brazilians) don't understand how this business works.

Morale is at an all time low. I got to experience a little bit of the old culture before the mass chaos. People honestly loved their jobs. When I started, I was eager to learn as much as I could and I saw myself staying with Heinz for quite a while. That isn't the case any longer. The only reason I haven't left yet is because I can't. I'm putting in my time to as my boss says "put Heinz on the resume" and then I'm gone. This place is ridiculous. I love my job but the so called "culture" and upper management disgust me.

Drop Heinz like a hot potato. You'll be doing everyone a favor. Go ruin Tim Hortons. When your policies become jokes between employees, customers and suppliers, YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!!!

If you're willing to listen....the best advice I can give you is be honest. This business is in shambles; own up to your mistakes and fix them by learning the business. That means bringing in people who actually know what they're doing. I know that's weird coming from a new kid but I am more than willing to admit inexperience is hurting Heinz.

Career Development Opportunities

Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Fantastic opportunities to grow your career. Talented people. Experienced leaders. Beloved brands. History. Vision and Values are clear and integrated into everything we do. Culture is a big priority.

Cons

Everyone has a lot on their plates. This is a fast-paced environment that is incredibly demanding.

Continue to reward and invest in your people.

Used to be a GREAT company until 3G got their hands on the company, now it's a complete disaster!!

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great brands, great people, advancement opportunities, bonuses, merit increase & recognition for doing great work

Cons

The new owners (3G) have no idea of how to run a food manufacturer. They have literally destroyed what was a great company in 12 months. They fired a lot of talented people with tremendous industry knowledge & replaced them with rookies to the industry. Reason being, they want to cut salaries to save money, instill their own "culture" on these newbies, work everybody to the bone & don't pay them for their efforts. They talk about Meritocracy, but to date, nobody has seen any financial reward. You might get a title change or promotion that requires a ton of more work, but they aren't "showing you the money". Cut costs, close factories, hire the cheapest talent you can find, all to pad your Brazilian pockets more & more every day.

Very, very disappointing to see what you have done 3G to Heinz in less then 12 months. HJ Heinz must be rolling over in his grave at how you have taken one of the worlds most powerful brands and destroyed it. No wonder you are losing all your talented people, only reason people are still there is they probably don't have an option right now. Wait till they get that option, they will fly the coop faster then you can say Meritocracy.

Back up what you say in your Meritocracy talk and pay the people who perform and make your quarterly numbers. Be honest with you employees, you know how bad things are, why aren't you owing up to it and more importantly, fixing it!! Get back to focusing on the customer, they are the ones who pay you salary. You have lost touch with what made Heinz a great company & fun place to work, so stop with all the cost cutting and take care of your employees and customers before there is nothing left. Very sad shell of what used to be a great company. Is it time to burn the furniture to save on the heating bills?

Done with my rant, you get the picture, fix it now!