Heinz

Updated 28 January 2015
Updated 28 January 2015
2.0

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge depending on the department in which you work (in 33 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Short termist driven by daily sales. Work, work, work culture

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great brands
    Great people
    Great commercial attitude

Cons

Schizophrenic attitude were departments are played off against one another - doubling the workload
    Lack of long term strategy: explaining daily sales variances rather than planning for success
    Macho culture: work long hours, what are weekends? holidays are for wimps.

Get a stronger inspiring strategy
    Sustainable profitable growth is a "catch all" but means nothing at the same time
    Its a long journey to make working at Heinz as great a feeling as consuming their products

Great

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Good Pay
    Good Bonus
    Great Experience
    Exposure to upper echelons of the organisation

Cons

Deminishing opportunities for supply chain proffesionals.
    Short term thinking.
    Lack of decision makers.

keep doing what works well, however develop hr systems.

Great place to work if you like breadth of role and being pushed.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Hayes, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Hayes, England

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Great breadth in role. You get great strategic overviews and can be involved at a high level.

Cons

Systems!!! Processes need work and more innovation is needed. Not world class yet.

Keep pushing leadership initiatives and training. Stay lean, don't get too bloated.

Great brands, shame about the leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England

I worked at Heinz

Pros

Fantastic brands and some great people working hard to maintain the success in the UK of brands like Heinz Beanz, Heinz Tomato Ketchup & HP Sauce

Cons

An "us and them" feeling that exist between middle and senior management, which is triggered by the leadership style at the top, and the revolving door of people in the company leaving (some willingly, some not).

Listen to and respect the employees - it is the people who make the brands, who make the business.

Buyer

I worked at Heinz

Pros

Great supply chain sourcing process

Cons

Under paid and didn't pay bonus

Sir James would be distraught

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There used to be a lot but since 3G Capital took over there don't seem to be any, other than to be able to pay the bills (that is until they make you redundant).

Cons

Overloaded, unappreciated, treat the staff/suppliers/customers/contactors like disposable nothings.
    None of the positive/glowing comments on here could possibly be from normal employees, they have either been paid to say what they've said or it's the upper management writing it, it's a complete farce.

Sell the Wattie's brand off before you run it completely into the ground.
    Sir James was a hard working man who built an iconic brand, the Brazillians don't care about the brand at all in fact in 18 months I never saw the CEO mention the brand once not once, he just goes on and on about Heinz and ketchup!

These times they are a changing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very competitive
    Great direct management
    I do believe in the companies values, but I don't think it is always translated into our work the way it should/could be.

Cons

Communication
    Upper management could lead better (think before they jump in to decisions that everyone pays for later)
    People retention

Treat the people you currently have working for you as people and not just an expenditure. More people would likely stay with the company if they felt valued and not scared there could be another cut to the workforce just around the corner.

Hire more people. A lot of problems could be resolved if someone was dedicated to focusing on some of these issues rather than juggling numerous issues and day to day business at the same time. Ever once in awhile, people can deal with it, but when it is a constant drain to your resources, it effects job performance.

The reviews are true.

I worked at Heinz

Pros

If you are willing to embrace 3G values and work extremely hard, you will climb very fast. Here are some good things about the company:

-Upper management goes out of their way to make themselves visible and honest
    -Very young culture, not a good fit for everyone though
    -Good trainee programs
    -genuinely descent pay
    -awesome micronutrient campaign

Cons

Now, here are the REAL 3G values:

-working 60 hours/week and getting paid for 40
    -keeping employees stressed
    -pathetic work/life balance (Bernardo literally laughed in my face when talking about work/life balance)
    -No tuition reimbursement or any motivation for further education
    -moving yourself/family/all your belongings across the country MANY times to move up
    -telling your subordinates to work harder when they already work 60 hours/week
    -backstabbing good people (although this happens everywhere to some extent)
    -greedy 90-day payment terms that make many people angry
    -promoting insanity. When Bernardo said "This is Heinz, we crazy!" he was literally not kidding. Heinz has the most insane culture of any company I've ever worked for. I don't mean the values, I mean the culture.

But wait! There's more!

-Meritocracy is a good concept but it's only half-true. The people who make names for themselves definitely move up quick, but not everyone is put into situations where they can make a big difference. Upper management is comprised of 2 groups of people: Brazilians who have worked for 3G before, and people who earned their success but were fortunate enough to be placed in situations where they could make a big difference.
    -From my own experience, many HR employees are incompetent and make no effort to actually help people. There are some genuinely good HR people out there though.

3G doesn't deserve my advice and wouldn't listen anyway. To everyone else, keep up the good work on the micronutrient campaign. That campaign and the delicious variety of Heinz products are the only good things going for the company.

Believe it!

Former Employee - Group Leader in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Group Leader in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm a former employee based on the 3G takeover. I loved working at Heinz prior to that time. It was an amazing company with great colleagues, decent benefits, good salary and bonus structure and lots of freedom to do good work. The 3G takeover was a sad day in the long and great history of Heinz based on what I saw transpire and what I've heard from colleagues who stayed after I left. Read the other reviews carefully as much of the discussion on the poor practices are TRUE. Buyer Beware....

Cons

Too many to discuss here-- the work-life balance went out the window. Friends have told me people are required to work late in to the evening; even week ends for R&D. Crazy!! We all worked hard but there's a limit to what is reasonable.

Review the other Glassdoor comments and hold the mirror up to yourself and the leadership team. The picture isn't pretty!

It was a great place to work....hopefully it'll return soon!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Utrecht (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Utrecht (Netherlands)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

growth possibilities, team spirit, challenging projects.
    Yearly objectives have been made very transparent, less layers, and more clear business decisions.

Cons

lack of stability, employees feel that they can be thrown out anytime.
    Lack of training and extreme cut off resources (both human and material).
    High personnel turnover since restucturation

Bring back training programs asap, and try to provide a better work life balance.