Heinz Reviews

Updated 17 October 2014
Updated 17 October 2014
2.2

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is unapologetic about lack of work-life balance (in 29 reviews)

• No work life balance, not a place for those with families or wanting to work less than 12 hours a day (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Promising

Current Employee - Associate Food Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Food Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm young and just starting out in the industry. Heinz gave me a chance.

There is no where to go but up.

Cons

Everything. Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic. No....no I'm not.

This company is a mess. We are dropping customers like flies because leadership (I'm looking at you Brazilians) don't understand how this business works.

Morale is at an all time low. I got to experience a little bit of the old culture before the mass chaos. People honestly loved their jobs. When I started, I was eager to learn as much as I could and I saw myself staying with Heinz for quite a while. That isn't the case any longer. The only reason I haven't left yet is because I can't. I'm putting in my time to as my boss says "put Heinz on the resume" and then I'm gone. This place is ridiculous. I love my job but the so called "culture" and upper management disgust me.

Drop Heinz like a hot potato. You'll be doing everyone a favor. Go ruin Tim Hortons. When your policies become jokes between employees, customers and suppliers, YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!!!

If you're willing to listen....the best advice I can give you is be honest. This business is in shambles; own up to your mistakes and fix them by learning the business. That means bringing in people who actually know what they're doing. I know that's weird coming from a new kid but I am more than willing to admit inexperience is hurting Heinz.

Unclear of strategy and future - still feeling the affects of too much change at once

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New culture is definitely willing to take risk & change. The pendulum has definitely swung from the old Heinz that was a bit too conservative and slow with it's decision making process & layers of approval. Obviously this can be a good thing if used wisely - unfortunately this new trait has been Management's downfall as well.

Cons

Could write several pages on the ways their arrogance and forcefulness to take risk & drive change has also lead to extremely poor culture and work environment. Too many new people starting and no one is left to do the teaching - I agree you need new blood, fresh ideas, but some fundamental transfer knowledge has to occur in order to build momentum the right way. Management has ignored this and as a result has felt the pain. Departments like Supply Chain, Finance and Marketing are at the brunt of this transition and continue to see chaos, long hours, unreasonable demands put upon them with the number of people with institutional knowledge leaving each day. Also - the new people become frustrated because there is chaos (lack of leadership / direction) and it's expected that you will work 60+ hours a week just to stay afloat (on meaningless detail to keep this micromanaged).

Think about your culture more - you are coming up with a lot of window dressing to make folks think it's a good environment to work in - but trust is your biggest issue. Things like your Meritocracy message is a joke, people see thru this. Certain areas are getting hammered with unclear direction - Supply Chain, Finance - constant change of course and new ways of working that are simply being drilled down to the rank & file to follow and change daily, which only results in them reinventing their job each day & becoming frustrated with all the new process changes & demands being put on them. Not to mention there is no forgiveness for having a lack of resources....the expectation is get it done (even if 1/2 of your department is gone).

Fantastic Career Opportunity

Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to Executive Management Team; Variety of projects; Broad experience across the business; High earning potential; fun, talented and smart colleagues; global leading brands; iconic history; strong vision and values; ethical business practices; focus on CSR and giving back to the community; focused on developing talent and recruiting top talent

Cons

Challenging goals and high sense of urgency; always pushing to do better

Continue to offer employee benefits to increase morale

Challenging and Exciting Environment

I have been working at Heinz full-time

Pros

Huge opportunity as a young person. They will give you a chance. There is so much to learn and it is so fast-paced and challenging. I love it here.

Cons

Still working on building morale. Changes scare some, but it is really

New Culture Rocks

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coolest place in Pittsburgh to work.

Cons

Not everyone likes the hours and open ofice.

Give a few more perks to empoyees

The Best Years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There was a steady stream of work to keep the plant going. The plant management team was great, however as the buy out was approaching, things were changing fast.
    A great team of fellow employees who are worked together for over 25 years.

Cons

There was no concern of some of the skills people had. It became a fact of "who knew who" for what really happened there.

Bring the company back to the old days and provide the service that build Heinz to what they were.

Bad Environment, Even Worse Career Move

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's really hard to think of any pros. If there are any, they will soon be taken away. At the end of this year they are taking away the employee parking lot for us employees downtown. Can't wait to spend more money on parking to work at this place!

Cons

Another retailer just dropped one of our to brands due to poor service levels. This is becoming a frequent occurrence and the organization has just become numb to this type of news.

Just please get it over with. Get your return on gutting this company and go.

Moving forward

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of people working very hard to take this company to the next level. We have great brands and a lot of new perspectives in this organization.

Cons

Uncertainty. Change. Negativity. We are not yet all on the same page globally.

Be honest, transparent and trust your people. Share the specifics of the vision broadly.

I Feel Obliged To Write A Review...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Heinz full-time

Pros

Now, there are very few. There were some very talented people, who were excellent to work with. However due to 3G's ownership most have left - either through resignation or redundancy.

Cons

To start off I must declare I have recently left Heinz (voluntarily). I was never planning to write a review on here, but after hearing of more redundancies today I feel obliged to warn my fellow FMCG colleagues in Melbourne before they consider applying for a job at Heinz (although I would say its common industry knowledge anyhow).

My watch outs:

1. The initial round of cost cutting post the 3G buyout was probably justifiable, but the second round is mind-boggling. To the point where I can't fathom how anyone can do their jobs there... Unless they are prepared to work 18 hours a day... However that suits the 3G philosophy. To give you an idea Heinz used to fill 2 and a half floors in Freshwater Place - now it could easily fit into 3/4 of one floor.

2. The new Senior Management have no Australian experience - the new MD no FMCG experience (investment banker). Not a major issue in itself but then why would you make redundant all your experienced senior staff? It's headless chicken stuff.... There is a MAJOR knowledge gap now.

3. There is no culture in the place. None....

4. My team was brought into a room two months ago to be told there was to be no more restructuring after the Senior Exec team were cut. However that has proven to be a massive lie. End result = zero trust in senior management.

5. The Grad recruitment drive.... Apparently 25 are starting early next year, however I have no idea who will mentor/train them. Rumour is that's why there's a recruitment freeze - the grads will fill the void. My advice to graduates thinking about joining... You need a stable environment to develop into your careers - not to be thrown into the deep end with no one to turn to.

There are some other minor ones such as having zero benefits - even the staff shop disappeared never to return. End of the day people at Heinz are a cost on the balance sheet - not an asset, and that's the main reason I left....

There are plenty of other alternatives to working at Heinz in Melbourne... You'll need someone to help shift those boxes...

Brazilian leaders don't listen

I worked at Heinz full-time

Pros

None anymore since 3G bought the company

Cons

Opinions - not wanted unless you are brazilan

Sell the company as soon as you can.