Heinz Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014
Updated 29 August 2014

2.2

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 22 reviews)

• Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest complaint I hear is about the lack of work life balance at Heinz (in 26 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great brands, smart hard working people and huge potential for rapid growth and advancement.

Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a true meritocracy, where all objectives are transparently shared, and you are rewarded and promoted based on your results. Smart people and tight teams who support me so we all win together. Demanding but rewarding environment to rise fast.

Cons

All goals are fixed and out in the open, so if your having a bad year, there's nowhere to hide. The huge plus is, you're not carrying any dead weight from slackers not applying themselves.

I've been extremely impressed with leadership, the VP's and Directors are all good, smart people who I respect. The Heinz training workshops are great, and the social events are valuable too, I'd just ask to keep going even further in those directions with more celebrations of our achievements.

Great Company with a Clear Vision for Success

Current Employee - Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Heinz takes personal performance seriously, which I find refreshing. Employees have their goals and progress against those goals publically displayed on their desks (actually living out the idea of transparency and ownership) it keeps me on track daily to make sure I'm prioritizing my work against those goals. Everyone knows exactly what they need to do, and those goals lead all the way up to our Executive Team's goals, so everyone can track how their daily work ultimately affects the operation of the total Company...I don't think you can say the same for other businesses.

The Company is also very dedicated to sustainability and community support. Our vision statement is, "To Be the Best Food Company, Growing a Better World." ... earlier this year our executive team sponsored an all employee event where we partnered with a global hunger relief agency and packaged more than 100,000 meals that were distributed to children in need in Africa. The Company and its leadership believe in doing their part to contribute to a better world, and this was a clear example of that. It makes me proud to work for a Company that takes its vision and values so seriously and continuously looks for ways to engage employees in achieving that vision.

Cons

There are a lot of negative people who are unwilling to embrace and accept change, which make the day-to-day challenging for those who are excited and proud to work for this Company.

Keep up with the transparent vision and communications for the Company. Continue to provide more opportunities for employee engagement.

Internship Opportunity at Heinz

Former Employee - Finance  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Finance in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As an intern at H.J. Heinz, I received an immense amount of exposure to the various functions of the finance department. The senior executives were very informative and seemed genuinely excited to answer my questions and offer advice. I was assigned many tasks and special projects that kept me quite busy and applied my educational knowledge. The intern program was fun! All of the interns went out after work for special events (i.e. Pirates baseball games) and got to know each other on a personal level. There was also a promising opportunity within the FLDP (Finance Leadership Development Program).

Cons

In 2013, the company was going through a period of transformation (buyout). Employee morale was quite low. People knew that they would be fired soon (and they were). The CEO attempted to make videos and send them to employees, but that just didn't work. He was a new, foreign face...and could not relate to what current employees were going through. There was a major culture shift.

Management needed to sympathize with employees and find a way to get them more excited about working there.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Progressive.

I have been working at Heinz full-time

Pros

The opportunities that are available

Cons

very poor work life balance

Transformative time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time

Pros

Important projects, global experience, direction from the shrewdest team in business. Genuine commitment to CSR initiatives. Good people.

Cons

Management is unapologetic about lack of work-life balance. Little privacy because of open office environment.

Continue to reward and promote good people who are dedicated and loyal.

Exciting, young culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time

Pros

Compensation is great, huge incentive for bonuses, plethora of growth opporutnities, great CEO-- involved, infomed and in-tune on lower level employee matters

Cons

Work hard, prove yourself, don't think you "deserve" anything until you earn it.

Keep motivation high and meritocracy in place.

Though times, future looks brighter

Current Employee - R&D Manager  in  Nijmegen (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - R&D Manager in Nijmegen (Netherlands)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Career opportunities, endless challenges, possibility to drive change, very high accountability, aggressive compensation.
    You are expected to act as the owner of the business and justify every single expense and decision. Financial results come first in everything you do. This is actually positive, driving the correct mindset: this is not a charity. If we won't make more money, we shouldn't do it.
    If pure capitalism appeals to you and you can manage how much you are willing to give away in exchange for the salary you get, it can work very well for you. If you are expecting values, ethics, respect and purpose, look somewhere else.

Cons

No work-life balance, you are expected to be in the office at least 12 hours a day, some very narrow-minded cost cuttings, such as eliminating corporate cell phones and slowing down internet speed, without realizing the impact it has on overheads and loss of efficiency.
    Very high people turnover at moment, as the new approach does not please most of the existing employees. It is a new company, from the old Heinz, the only thing left is the name. People do not matter, they are just costs. We will suck your blood until you are dry and then we will replace you. If you can cope with this approach for a while, it offers good opportunities

Be more sensible with the choices. Some cost-reductions will soon prove to drive additional costs due to lost efficiency.

It was a group of mostly personable people and a valuable learning experience

Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It was an enjoyable corporate environment as well as very professional. A few of my co-workers became some of my good friends during my time there. The many things I learned during my time allowed me for much personal growth.

Cons

There were some things about the company that were very rigid. There also wasn't very much room for promotion or growth within the company.

I would recommend that they continue growing their business with their core beliefs in mind because that is what had driven the company to where it is today.

Poor management

Former Employee - I Would Rather Not Say  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - I Would Rather Not Say in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Thank goodness I worked there when it was still a good place to work. It was an awesome company. I still keep in touch with people that are still there and I'm thankful that my memories are pretty decent.

Cons

Poor management choices. I witnessed a manager taking a birth control pill during a meeting. I witnessed this same manager flirting shamelessly with vendors and violating company travel policies and asking me to cover them up. It was embarrassing to be part of that team.

Choose better managers

True Team Spirit

Current Employee - Senuir Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senuir Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity, good people, good leadership, clear goals and objectives, team spirit, global team, talented people, high earnings potential, world-renowned brands with fantastic corporate reputation, company believes in giving back to the community. employee volunteer events

Cons

constant change, long days (but most go very fast), working to integrate new culture is never easy

Connect with employees directly.

Worked for Heinz? Contribute to the Community!