Heinz Reviews

Updated 28 October 2014
Updated 28 October 2014
2.1

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge depending on the department in which you work (in 31 reviews)

• No work life balance, not a place for those with families or wanting to work less than 12 hours a day (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Promising

Current Employee - Associate Food Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Food Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm young and just starting out in the industry. Heinz gave me a chance.

There is no where to go but up.

Cons

Everything. Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic. No....no I'm not.

This company is a mess. We are dropping customers like flies because leadership (I'm looking at you Brazilians) don't understand how this business works.

Morale is at an all time low. I got to experience a little bit of the old culture before the mass chaos. People honestly loved their jobs. When I started, I was eager to learn as much as I could and I saw myself staying with Heinz for quite a while. That isn't the case any longer. The only reason I haven't left yet is because I can't. I'm putting in my time to as my boss says "put Heinz on the resume" and then I'm gone. This place is ridiculous. I love my job but the so called "culture" and upper management disgust me.

Drop Heinz like a hot potato. You'll be doing everyone a favor. Go ruin Tim Hortons. When your policies become jokes between employees, customers and suppliers, YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!!!

If you're willing to listen....the best advice I can give you is be honest. This business is in shambles; own up to your mistakes and fix them by learning the business. That means bringing in people who actually know what they're doing. I know that's weird coming from a new kid but I am more than willing to admit inexperience is hurting Heinz.

World's best food company, growing a better world.

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Leading the way in CSR and Sustainability. Fantastic Leaders.

Cons

Not everyone likes open office and work hours can be long.

Continue to recognize the hard work of dedicated employees.

Great Company and Culture

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, heritage, brands and people
    Fast-paced, competitive culture, action-oriented, things get done quickly
    Good salary and benefits
    Visibility to leadership
    Quick advancement and promotion opportunities available to those who work hard
    We've had an amazing year and I expect that things will only get better

Cons

People often complain about a lack of work/life balance, however there are hardly few people physically present in the office after 6 p.m.

As a result of rapid advancement, employees are not always well-equipped to manage teams of people. Would be helpful for HR to provide more manager resources, etc. to best-position them for success in their new roles.

Continue to recognize the hard work and dedication of employees who continuously go above and beyond

My experience at Heinz was very undesirable.

Former Employee - Scale Technician in Pocatello, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Scale Technician in Pocatello, ID (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best reason I liked working there was my schedule. I had to work early in the morning, which I hated, but I absolutely loved getting off in the early afternoon.

Cons

I loved the people I worked with on my team, but the managers and upper management made it almost impossible to have a happy environment. People were not treated with very much respect. There was very harsh criticism all the time. Everybody was afraid to say anything, but it happened all the time.

Listen, listen, listen, listen. I forgot to say listen. Many employees have bright ideas. Reward individuals, not just factories. Although it is important to make money and work hard, it is not everything. Happy employees are better employees. They work harder and thus you make more money. Treat the employees better.

Unclear of strategy and future - still feeling the affects of too much change at once

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New culture is definitely willing to take risk & change. The pendulum has definitely swung from the old Heinz that was a bit too conservative and slow with it's decision making process & layers of approval. Obviously this can be a good thing if used wisely - unfortunately this new trait has been Management's downfall as well.

Cons

Could write several pages on the ways their arrogance and forcefulness to take risk & drive change has also lead to extremely poor culture and work environment. Too many new people starting and no one is left to do the teaching - I agree you need new blood, fresh ideas, but some fundamental transfer knowledge has to occur in order to build momentum the right way. Management has ignored this and as a result has felt the pain. Departments like Supply Chain, Finance and Marketing are at the brunt of this transition and continue to see chaos, long hours, unreasonable demands put upon them with the number of people with institutional knowledge leaving each day. Also - the new people become frustrated because there is chaos (lack of leadership / direction) and it's expected that you will work 60+ hours a week just to stay afloat (on meaningless detail to keep this micromanaged).

Think about your culture more - you are coming up with a lot of window dressing to make folks think it's a good environment to work in - but trust is your biggest issue. Things like your Meritocracy message is a joke, people see thru this. Certain areas are getting hammered with unclear direction - Supply Chain, Finance - constant change of course and new ways of working that are simply being drilled down to the rank & file to follow and change daily, which only results in them reinventing their job each day & becoming frustrated with all the new process changes & demands being put on them. Not to mention there is no forgiveness for having a lack of resources....the expectation is get it done (even if 1/2 of your department is gone).

Who needs benefits or a work/life balance when you have a Battle Cry?

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Heinz remains an iconic brand whose flagship product is the gold standard against which other ketchups are judged. Historically, it was a CPG company that fought above its weight-class, largely due to the people who drove quality and innovation. It was an exciting company that was able to attract top industry talent.

Cons

3G has successfully devolved a fun, challenging work environment into a dystopian hell-scape that would fit into an Orwell novel. Corporate double-speak is at an all-time high, employees fear being fired constantly (while vetting out their resumes quietly to colleagues who have found work in greener pastures), and the new Heinz Battle Cry ™ is bleated in every meeting to rouse the workers into accepting the Exciting New Culture ™ and striving towards Meritocracy ™ while they watch helplessly as their paychecks are whittled away by disappearing benefits and their work/life balance is imploded by the new reality of the hours they must spend at work.

3G/Berkshire Hathaway have essentially taken a lean public company, taken it private, and saddled it with an extraordinary amount of debt with no clear path to repayment. The cost cutting measures – the savings in electricity from the lack of office mini-fridges, the reams of paper saved with copier lockdowns, the high tenure/high pay employees replaced by low-cost temps, the factory closures – aren’t enough. The renegotiating of freight contracts backfired when the freight companies simply stopped moving Heinz’s products from the distribution centers to the customers. The change in payment terms to vendors backfired when the vendors simply stopped providing the goods and services and sent Heinz to third-party collections. The deep cuts to R&D and marketing have backfired in the form of lower sales and customers leaving Heinz for competitors. The employee layoffs and voluntary resignation program have backfired: employees with experience and a true love of Heinz have left (many have gone to competitors), and they have been replaced by the young, the inexperienced, and the cheap. And replacing the executives with cronies from Brazil has backfired – they don’t understand why, for example, Heinz would make a lot of gravy before the month of November.

The current state of Heinz is this: as another review eloquently stated, employees have gone from being an asset to a cost. 3G will squeeze every cent they can from an employee, and once they are used up, they toss them out and hire a new one. Entire levels have been removed from the organization, but none of the work has been removed. This means that employees are working ten, eleven, or twelve hour days every day. They are working evenings, early mornings, weekends, and holidays. The work they are doing is not value-added – it’s busy-work and double work because the systems that 3G have implemented are terrible and broken. Employees are no longer given goals or performance reviews; instead, meritocracy states that good ideas and hard work will get you promoted. However, if all you are doing every day is updating a daily dashboard and pleading with irate vendors to not cut off service, you have no time to innovate or improve systems. Further, because of the overwhelming workload, you can’t rely on your manager to help and you can’t rely on your cross-functional team to help. Despite the unifying efforts of the Heinz Battle Cry ™, morale is at an all-time low and teamwork is a joke.

Many of the positive reviews here (allegedly company-planted) use buzzwords praising the new young culture that embraces change. It is insulting to have it stated that the reason people are disgruntled is because they cannot deal with the changes. Heinz existed for well over a hundred years before 3G and their ilk came in, and the company passed its centennial mark because of employees’ ability to embrace change and be innovative thinkers. I believe that most of the positive reviews are company-planted since they are as tone-deaf as anything coming out of the Heinz Human Resources department lately. The company can continue buying into their buzzwords – the exciting culture, the meritocracy – but they do so at their own peril. Ignoring the real problems they are facing on all fronts – with their employees, with their vendors, and (most importantly) with their customers – will be Heinz’ downfall, and all the battle cry yelling won’t help.

There is no advice that Heinz will take from me. I would only hope that 3G and Berkshire Hathaway finish up their project quickly. No one likes to see a beloved company in its long, inevitable march to the grave. Sell the assets, sell the brands, sell the furniture, make your profit, and move on to the next victim (sorry Tim Horton’s – loved your TimBits).

Big Opportunities with Global Industry Leader

Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Heinz is one of the world's most recognizable brands because of its history, quality and passion for being the best. Now is a new chapter for the Company, with the opportunity for employees at all levels to shape the future of the business. If this doesn't excite you, at the very least the Company's competitive salaries and bonus potential should. It is empowering and exciting to work for an industry leader who never rests and continues to push itself to reach new heights.

Cons

You will not be babied or overindulged from a management standpoint. You have to prove your drive and accomplishments every day and new management has created a competitive culture. People who are looking for a 9-5 lifestyle will not like it here.

Honor the great history and beloved brands. Stay ahead of industry trends because consumers expect innovations from Heinz. Reward your people because they are working tirelessly to help you achieve the new Vision for the Company.

Bad Environment, Even Worse Career Move

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's really hard to think of any pros. If there are any, they will soon be taken away. At the end of this year they are taking away the employee parking lot for us employees downtown. Can't wait to spend more money on parking to work at this place!

Cons

Another retailer just dropped one of our to brands due to poor service levels. This is becoming a frequent occurrence and the organization has just become numb to this type of news.

Just please get it over with. Get your return on gutting this company and go.

Can I give negative stars

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Resume builder. More words to fill this space. Truly, there are no pros. So sad.

Cons

HR posting fake 5 star reviews on Glassdoor!Benefits reduced. Morale terrible. No work/life balance. RUN!

Owners: Sell your shares and go home. You are ruining this piece of Pittsburgh and American tradition.

Fantastic Career Opportunity

Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to Executive Management Team; Variety of projects; Broad experience across the business; High earning potential; fun, talented and smart colleagues; global leading brands; iconic history; strong vision and values; ethical business practices; focus on CSR and giving back to the community; focused on developing talent and recruiting top talent

Cons

Challenging goals and high sense of urgency; always pushing to do better

Continue to offer employee benefits to increase morale