Hennepin County Medical Center

Hennepin County Medical Center Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

David Jones

love it

Prosteam work, nice people pleasent

Consconfident kind , loving, understanding

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Great staff and great work being done while in leadership transition

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsWe have really great, talented, and compassionate staff. I love that we are a teaching and learning hospital. There is really some great work being done here and, as we are transitioning leadership, we have a great opportunity to change how we are engaged within our community.

ConsCurrently we are transitioning leadership with new management and new staff. Change can be scary, but I'm hoping for the best. A lot of older employees have been here a very long time and need to choose between retiring or continuing to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more employee growth and team cohesiveness - continue with the positive changes you are making and help us strive for excellence in every area so we can become a better hospital all together

Care and compassion

Lactation Consultant (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsThe people at HCMC really CARE about the people we serve.

ConsIt is a BIG organization, sometimes change is difficult to accomplish.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I am a staff nurse mostly working nights.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsIf possible, managers try to be flexible with work schedules to accomadate life schedule. Good health benefits and scheduling preference at clinics for employees. New leadership seems to be trying to change the culture.

ConsLack of communication system wide. Improving culture but "it's not my job" is a frequent refrain. Issues take so long to get resolved that it appears they do not get resolved. Supervisors and managers that do not always understand the jobs they are managing.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearning and self improvement oportunities are scheduled around a day shift perspective even though the hospital is open 24/7. Job sharing should be an option. Continuing education is only encouraged if it means getting a degree or certificate. On site, off hours daycare would be fabulous.

Flexible and great benefits, super stressful at times.

BA MA (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsAwesome benefits package, great health insurance for individuals. Some amazing people work here and keep the place afloat. Cool location and mission, great medical library with tons of educational resources and super helpful staff.

ConsWretched management, high turnover, and random firings when departments are planning improvements, which significantly stalls upgrades and delays progress.

Way too much favoritism, and ironically, the 'favorites' are the worst employees. The more trained and skilled you are, the more they work you to the max to cover the slack of the inept, chronic sick callers, & FMLA abusers (there's a lot).

Possibly the worst human resources department I've ever had to deal with. I wouldn't even give them a job at McDonald's mopping floors if they volunteered. They frequently lose critical paper work, and viciously hunt out good employees for the most trivial issues, while ignoring the worst, do nothing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPull it together and show better direction. I've seen too many wonderful people leave here due to confusing tactics and promotion of bad workers. It really deals a huge blow to morale and you're practically encouraging bad work habits.

Clean up the hospital's imagine, it's known to area residents as a place to get pain killers, and frequent dealing is done in plain sight of visitors and patients.

Encourage overweight smoking staff to not smoke at the emergency room entrance and up their insurance premiums. Better yet, fire them, it's embarrassing, unwelcoming, and hypocritical.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Dysfunction at it's best

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat employees who have done more with less for years and years.

ConsThis organization is the most money, personnel and common sense starved place to work I have ever seen. Manager do not have the dollars or the people to get the job done. Money is always at issue, even for simple infrastructure refreshing. Leadership has been unstable since the governance change of 2007, so manager and line staff have no feeling of being cared for and don't believe administration can solve the issues of budget shortfalls, retention, aging infrastructure, siloing and poor performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. Clearly, senior management has failed - especially in the nursing hierarchy. Why do you continue, from CEO to CEO to allow mediocrity to continue?

Good place to work

ProsIndependence, loads of opportunities, friendly people

ConsToo many heads, too many moving parts without a lot to tie them in

Unethical behavior supported by management and staff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsThe pension is a plus, but that's only if you're able to become vested. The educational opportunities available to employees were also a nice perk.

Cons1.) Unethical behavior supported by management. 2.) Poor communication by lower-level management. 3.) Backstabbing and spreading rumors by co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've known several former employees who were wonderful at their jobs but burnout got the best of them because of the lower level management and low morale. You're losing good employees and I suggest you find a way to fix it soon.

it is the most disorganized care in some units and the best of care in others - research!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay. Committed to its mission of working with the poor.

Consupper management is extremely disorganized and changes from one initiative to another without explanation. Trying to establish data driven decisions but the workforce is about 10 years behind. Slow to make technology easily accessible and working properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBullying staff will get you know where. You are losing good staff because the upper management creates change that they don't totally understand and then expect high performance in a manner of weeks. Take a look at your goals and stick to them.

Always an opportunity to make a difference.

ProsEasy to find meaningful ways to help people from diverse backgrounds
    Always something going on; no chance of feeling bored
    Honorable organizational mission with staff involved who like to serve patients from diverse backgrounds.
    Energetic, teaching hospital environment. The hospital provides exceptional care.
    The best cafeteria food of all Twin Cities hospitals.

ConsDisconnection of executive leadership to front-line staff as shown in the high rate of process changes, increasing expectations, and lack of tools to meet the expectations.
    Patient population with complex needs and lack of resources to address those needs, can lead to frustration.
    Aging infrastructure, and poorly enforced expectations regarding smoking and loitering on the grounds.
    Poor work-life balance opportunities e.g., no good work-out options, child-care, flexible work schedules, etc.

Worked for Hennepin County Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!