Henry Schein

Henry Schein Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Henry Schein Chairman, President, and CEO Stanley M. Bergman

Stanley M. Bergman

Pros
  • The leniency for a work/life balance is wonderful(in 6 reviews)

• There are great people top to bottom, great benefits, solid industry, conservative company(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many upper management "grew up" at Henry Schein(in 6 reviews)

• However, I quickly realized that inflated egos, dirty office politics and administrative incompetence would prove to be bigger obstacles(in 4 reviews)

Great company to work for.

Medical Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Melville, NY (US)

ProsDependable job, strong company, demand for their products isn't going anywhere.

ConsThey talk of the 5 constituents - though I believe all come into play, I think they really favor making the shareholders happy aka corporate america.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the dead weight on the sales teams and limit the micro-management.

Solid Company

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsLarge distribution centers, dependable shipping, high fill rates, decent comp.

ConsManagement often slow to make decisions regarding new hires, direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone is ineffective and has proven to continue to be so dont keep moving them around to meaningless costly roles....

Don't waste your time

Receiving (Former Employee) Sparks, NV (US)

ProsHeadaches and politics and constant fear of management

ConsYou're job is just a leverage tool so management feels good and if you don't play along you will be fired or drivin to quit nobody in upper management will help you and hr is in lockstep.i know this to be true as i am a former victim of shine culture.even though terminated for sticking up for myself when know one else would management once again protected their own and threw me away.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the all to comfortable middle management starting with managers and leads.break the cycle of god complex and your workforce will become happier and more productive

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, terrible operations in field

Regional Manager (Current Employee) Melville, NY (US)

ProsCompany growth at fast pace, primarily via acquisitions

ConsOperations. In a nutshell, the pay for ops people is low, so they hire very unintelligent people. Ops managers, service techs, it's terrible. Warehouses at centers around the country are filled with hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory that they let depreciate since no one knows what's going on. Company managers are all addicted to email..... Literally everyday all they do is email. No person to person actual interaction. Management does not work on Fridays.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome away from your email and visit the dysfunctional centers which serve your customers and get employees to tell you what's really happening. Listen to them, without checking your email.

Technical Support (Tier 1)

ProsAlways busy but I don't think they do enough to hire people.

ConsTuition Reimbursement is only available for salary workers and available though not guaranteed for children of TSM (Team Schein Members), just not hourly workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow benefits to be available to all workers, not only those you think who would not use them.

Glass half empty

Contract Analyst (Former Employee) Melville, NY (US)

Pros-Socially conscious ( except for employees 1-3% yearly raise while doing $12 billion yearly sales)
    - benefits are pretty good

Cons- Other than the standard holidays, no others given (ie Columbus day, Good Friday, veterans day, no Jewish holidays)
    - No clear career advancement plan
    - Constant lays off ( I have seen plenty lifers, 20+ years let go)
    - If your company is bought by Schein.. be prepared for the hammer

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more room for personal growth. Show employees that you value them, not just lay off everyone around them and expect a optimistic environment.

Fantastic Sales Experience

Dental Sales Intern (Former Employee)

ProsSocial Responsibility
    B2B sales
    Benefits
    Work-Life Balance

ConsNo company vehicle
    Not a lot of competitive advantage between other companies

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeed up some of the hiring process.

Distribution Associate

Distribution Team Member (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsWonderful benefits, good pay, plenty of voluntary overtime, excellent culture. I learned a lot about myself and how to perform functions that are valuable and marketable I started out as a temporary, and through the help of tuition assistance, I was able to finish my college education and pursue a career within my degree field.

ConsAt times, the pace and pressure is high, and management struggles with skills to balance this pressure and employee morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementMentor employees that you feel would be valuable to grow within the company.

Great company to work for.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits. I work with really nice people who really care about each other. Pay is ok...salary plus commission...the harder you work...the more you make. The building is clean. Many fun corporate events.

ConsSome promotions are based on who you know rather than what you know. If you know your job well though, you have nothing to worry about. You will eventually get there, just more slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementI work under a great management team who knows how to motivate and reward you. Unfortunately not all divisions are as fortunate.

Sales rep

ProsFreedom to work as you please as long as results are attained.

ConsCompensation. Being mickle amd dined by the company for things like shipping, account depts, etc. Tough for management as large volume reps are given too much power.

Worked for Henry Schein? Contribute to the Community!