Henry Schein

Updated 27 January 2015
3.2

Henry Schein Chairman, President, and CEO Stanley M. Bergman
Stanley M. Bergman

Pros
  • The leniency for a work/life balance is wonderful (in 7 reviews)

• There are great people top to bottom, great benefits, solid industry, conservative company (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Fly by the seat of your pants upper management, sales people can get away with anything if they sell (in 6 reviews)

• Low low pay, no motivation because so few actually care about making money (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work!

I have been working at Henry Schein as an intern

Pros

Great culture! Good place to work.

Cons

Sometimes things are slow here.

Get the right people on the bus and more important, get the wrong people off the bus!

Very pleasant.

Current Employee - Safety/Security in Sparks, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Safety/Security in Sparks, NV (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have had a very nice experience. All information I have received from management and co-workers has been positive and accurate. Everyone works together well at the location I'm part of.

Cons

I would like a full-time position. I do get offered some extra hours on weekends and to cover other shifts for vacations and time off.

Beware

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Woodbury, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Woodbury, NY (US)

I worked at Henry Schein

Pros

Salary was average and commute was good.

Cons

Nasty people. Watch your back. Management is insecure. Treats staff like dirt. No one knows how to cross-train. It's a shame as the company has a good reputation in name only.

Your day will come when the company will get wind of what you are up to. What goes around comes around.

Overall my experience has been a positive and rewarding one.

Current Employee - Webmaster in American Fork, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Webmaster in American Fork, UT (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Other staff members are great. The location and new building are very good - there are some really nice benefits like a ping-pong table and foosball table. Also, they have provided low price healthy snacks.

The work environment is positive and there is not a lot of micro-managing.

Cons

Not much to say, I have enjoyed my time with the company.

Nothing to say here. I've been lucky and had a string of top notch managers. The company management is strong and seems to be taking us in the right direction.

Overall Henry Schein is a good company to work for.

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can run your own show.

Cons

Comp could be higher. Your potential for earning and your lifestyle is largely dependent on your location/manager.

Podium speaker. Uncap the comp plan.

Internal Mobility

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Melville, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Melville, NY (US)

I worked at Henry Schein full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you want a steady pay check to support your family. If you have ambition to move up in the company, it does not happen internally.

Cons

If you have ambition to move up in the company, it does not happen internally.

People kiss butt up. If you really want to know how your mid level Managers and Directors give the people that do the a voice..

Positive environment with a team atmosphere, low wages.

Former Employee - Buyer in Melville, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Buyer in Melville, NY (US)

I worked at Henry Schein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are key to this environment, smart individuals who are willing to help. This company has multiple internal growth opportunities. Good atmosphere.

Cons

Low Wages for those hired at the average level. Company can be very political and have drama surrounding management. Everyone is looking out fo themselves and not others.

Better wages, more growth opportunities based on performance.

Going to Hell and quick

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Community Service is a plus. Ted Philson until he passed away. Some members of the Executive team really get it. Jimmmy B is a man of integrity he is everything the company espouses with regards to the culture, leadership and a true professional .

Cons

Low pay, long hours, bully tactics and rules by intimidation are some of the standard operation procedures within this organization. "People do not know how good they have it here", statements are often heard throughout the hallways. "Invisible hands theory" what is that? People do not believe that they can trust HR, folks feel as if they don't have anyone who will advocate for them. Diversity is minimal at best, people of color, and women are not empowered or promoted. Promotions are very slow unless you are on a "fast-track" which usually means someone has set their sites on you. Moral is artificial and manufactured by hosting large parties to act as smoke screens for what is really happening. The cultural assessment survey is laughable. "Record Breaking Profits" are the leading headlines, while folks are fearful of current talks of possible layoffs.

Executives need to take a real hard look at different departments to understand why there is a high rate of turn over. Listen to the people, and don't shy away from negative or positive responses. Believe there is some validity to what people are saying and feeling. Management provides executives only the information they want to hear, and not what they need to hear. Diversity is a serious concern why are minorities occupying the majority of low paying positions? (i.e.warehouse, customer service)Minorities are prominently shown in pictures during Community Service events as recipients, but not in company photos.

Great first MBA internship experience.

Former Employee - MBA in Melville, NY (US)
    Former Employee - MBA in Melville, NY (US)

I worked at Henry Schein as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Internship projects were meaningful and used by the team.
    -I was given a lot of structure but a lot of freedom.
    -Strong team atmosphere.

Cons

-"Gateway to Schein" program is focused on undergraduate and high school interns.

Could be better

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work,I learn something new every day- co-workers are nice, hard working, dedicated people. Lots of charity and volunteer opportunities.

Cons

Managers and supervisors are not properly trained to manage and supervise. Most are micro-managers who behave like tyrants and bullies rather than do what is best for the team and the customers. I have seen favoritism and bullying on a daily basis.

Get better training in getting the most out of your team without demeaning them

Henry Schein Photos