Henry Schein

Updated 22 October 2014
3.1

Henry Schein Chairman, President, and CEO Stanley M. Bergman
Stanley M. Bergman

Pros
  • The leniency for a work/life balance is wonderful (in 7 reviews)

• There are great people top to bottom, great benefits, solid industry, conservative company (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Fly by the seat of your pants upper management, sales people can get away with anything if they sell (in 6 reviews)

• However, I quickly realized that inflated egos, dirty office politics and administrative incompetence would prove to be bigger obstacles (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Team Schein

I worked at Henry Schein full-time

Pros

Great company culture, the culture at Schein is truly like a very large family. Often you find people working with others just to improve the culture and life of those around them.

Cons

Management can be reluctant to adapt to new changes or systems.

Henry Schein Dental

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employees and good atmosphere.

Cons

Bad structure with a one size fits all format for all geographies.

It's time to refresh the decrepit Field Comm and BB.

Professional

Current Employee - Professional in Melville, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Professional in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros include working for a well-established brand known by health care professionals, a Fortune 300 industry leader, competitive benefits and compensation.

Cons

Cons include old school environment (workplace is 80's style and hasn't been updated) and corporate mentality is Theory X with regard to workplace behavior. Some managers exhibit bullying, coercive mannerisms..

Avoid Lip Service and practice corporate responsibility a bit better with regard to employees. Focus more on the people and less on the beans.

Not a good idea

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at Henry Schein full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are scraps of left over lunch most days. Very busy job, so day goes by fast

Cons

No communication, no home life balance for anyone other than the executives, lack of leadership, dishonest executive team, technology is barely there. Not a company to grow in.

Embrace change....lots of it.

Very underrated company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I answer to 3 individuals who are all excellent to work for. I love every level of management I have had to work with and I have never felt mistreated or taken advantage of.

Cons

People do not know how good we have it at this company. People are constantly complaining about things the company is doing for us for FREE. This is not a con to the company, just a con of people being ungrateful. I don't get it.

Bonuses and raises are not large enough to get excited about.

To remain industry competitive you need to be willing to restructure a department based on their actual workflow and adjust salaries accordingly. I am doing a job I feel is critical to the success of our division and because my job title is incorrect I have no room to negotiate my salar.

Good Benefits, Call Center Tech (unusable)

Current Employee - Remote Support Technician in Arlington, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Remote Support Technician in Arlington, TX (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding benefits. The PPO here is ridiculously awesome. You get a lot of benefits no matter what your salary is.

Cons

Tech Central is a call center first and foremost. They do technology second. If you're just getting into the industry then this is good for you, if you have experience then I would be cautious. TC does not incentivise getting certifications that are industry standard. Instead, you're encouraged to get Dell certifications. While they're important for the company - they will not help your career whatsoever

Invest in these employees specifically. Not only do they act as loss prevention but they create an environment around your customers of trust. Stay away from the call center mentality when mixing with I.T. Customers consider I.T. a complex process and want to speak to professionals, hiring on a call center mentality will get you short of nowhere.

Good for 2-3 years max, salaries are wayyyy below market, a sales & mktg company run by CPA's, lawyers and finance geeks

Former Employee - Marketing Guru in Melville, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Guru in Melville, NY (US)

I worked at Henry Schein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience in your 20's, very stable industries aligned with global macro healthcare trends. Tons of cash, good 401k plan match, and generally a pleasant place to work with some real nice people. Schein is a place where there are not a lot of the typical "jerks" that you find in other companies. Not high stress, good work/life balance.

Cons

Salaries are very under market for Long Island, and all LI companies know Schein sucks for comp. It's a recruiters dream to poach good talent! If you are young, come in and do 2-3 years AT MAX otherwise you will be digging out of the salary gap for the rest of your career. Schein is a Sales & Marketing company run entirely by CPA's and finance geeks - if you're in Marketing Strategy you will be amazed there's not one single executive with any proven Marketing accomplishments. They hoard cash, make acquisitions, and cut expenses to show profit. If you're a VP - welcome to the good life! This company is so overweight on VP's and Directors. Most companies axe VP's when performance sucks, but Schein? Nope, you're golden for life! Instead, they squeeze the lower levels with crappy raises and under-market salaries. The 3rd floor is a boys club with the same few people in Stan's inner circle moving up each year. They have a wake up call coming with Amazon coming into the dental market - the boys on the 3rd floor aren't gonna like it when they see what it's like to make 10 points on everything!

Clear out the useless droves of VP's and your employees will respect you a lot more. In a sales and marketing company, create a culture where you can actually use a bathroom without hitting a CPA. Be ready for Amazon, it's gonna hurt!

Assisting field staff with hardware/software purchasing issues and assisting Level 3 support technicians with Windows re

Current Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Arlington, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Arlington, TX (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ability to learn hardware related information

Cons

I am a salaried employee that get my pay cut if my hours are shorten but get no extra pay when my duties go into my personal time.

My advice is to make the job hourly so that the pay reflects the work done and the employee is not left working for free.

Cultural values emphasized only pertains to folks within operations, all senior staff is out for themselves

I worked at Henry Schein full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PTO, well used to be!!!!

Cons

Anyone who gets hired by the 3rd floor has an advantage of doing as they please. No cultural values as emphasized by the organization. Double standards. Refusal to accept responsibility when projects go awry. Poor pay when compared to other industries and competitors. Terrible benefits. Gets worse every year. Alot of secrets and gossips.....uneducated staff with high pay!!!!!!!

Stop worrying about your stock options and pay importance to the operations teams.

Committed to excellent customer service

Current Employee - Certified Trainer in American Fork, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Trainer in American Fork, UT (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities to improve your skills and advance in your field

Cons

There needs to be more benefits offered for loyalty and retention.

Management should look closer at those willing to work hard and want to stay with the company, not just at those who say what they want to hear.

Henry Schein Photos