Heska Reviews

Heska Chairman and CEO Robert B. Grieve
Robert B. Grieve

Love this company!

I have been working at Heska

Pros

This company has proven that hard work is rewarded with promotion. Great company culture, excellent benefits, have and will continue to recommend Heska to my friends in search of employment.

Cons

There is some negativity around the massive changes that have occurred over the past couple of years. Certain departments can be "gossipy" and the negativity can breed. However, I'm not sure there is a workplace without this kind of atmosphere to some extent.

Positive experience

Former Employee - Material Handler  in  Loveland, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Loveland, CO (US)

I worked at Heska as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Professional and passionate company with great upper and middle management.
    Very polite comfortable atmosphere.
    Projects were challenging.

Cons

Unpredictable work loads. Short days turn into consecutive late nights out of the blue, then back again.

Heska Truly Cares

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Loveland, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO (US)

I have been working at Heska full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Heska holds strong to its promise of making a difference in companion animal health and working to build relationships and earn trust by delivering the utmost in support with integrity and professionalism.

Heska cares about employees and takes the time to recognize birthdays, annivesaries and years of service on a personal level.

Heska provides great benefits such as generous healthcare and dental plans, 401(k) with matching, generous vacation/sick policy.

Heska recognizes employees through exciting recognition programs - employee of the quarter and a program where peers say "thanks" with a comment and token that is rewarded with a $10 gift certificate.

Heska encourages employees to stay healthy through an $250 reimbursement for gym membership, etc.

We are like family - many of us have been here for 10-plus years.

My boss is fantastic and treats me like a person. He also takes the time to help guide and develop my career.

I don't feel like I work for the same company that others describe - Heska truly cares.

Cons

There are some cases where communication can improve across the organization,but isn't that every company?

Communicate more and keep treating us the way you do! Thanks!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former Employees Have It Right

I have been working at Heska

Pros

The benefits are very good, including being able to bring your dog to work. However, like everything else at Heska, some dogs are allowed to get away with a lot because of who their owners are.

Cons

I agree with everything that the other former employees have to say. Salaries are not competitive, raises are insulting and the "science" is that good anymore. I can't stand behind the products. Favoritism is rampant. Incompetent favorites are retained and even allowed to head up projects that they are not equipped to carry out.

Get a competent management team. Stop spouting off about the great Heska culture. It doesn't exist unless you are one of the favorites. Reward the hard working employees that carry the company.

Company values people, works to be best solution for veterinarians, and promotes from within

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Heska full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A company founded on the highest principles for animal healthcare, and expectations of personal accountability. Many perks are provided, including very appealing benefits (company absorbs majority of all costs) bringing our pets to work, recognition of employee birthdays and anniversaries, cookouts, and employee recognition programs like the "purple rocket" award, and "tokens of gratitude" where employees can appreciate each other, nominate outstanding contributors, and the company then rewards with monetary and tangible gifts.

Heska holds quarterly company meetings to go over earnings, inform us about what is going on with results and new initiatives, and answer questions openly. There are no closed doors, or hidden agendas here. The company recognizes employment anniversaries at company meetings, gives out gift certificates, and rewards milestones with more vacation time. At a recently held meeting, many 10, 15, and 20 year awards were handed out. It's pretty rare to see that type of loyalty and longevity these days.

I've had the benefit of experience, and having worked for other companies who could not hope to be as people-centric and caring as this company. I feel so lucky to know now that a company like this still exists. I am one of many lucky folks to have been promoted from within this organization. I demonstrated skills, an opening became available, and management approached me for the new opportunity. Many of my colleagues have enjoyed the same experience.

Cons

I've read the other reviews. Considering the company employs over 300 people world-wide, a hand-full of unhappy people are expected. Sometimes the shoe just does not fit, no matter how much you try to force it. Personal accountability is expected. If that is not your strength, than this is not the company for you. There is no such thing as a perfect company. Is there room to improve? Absolutely -- for the company, as well as each individual contributor. For those who will not believe or trust this review -- you're not the right fit for this outstanding organization. It's just like most industries -- you hear the negative -- few people take the time to write the positive experiences. That just changed with this review.

Continue to listen to your employees, and support best practices. Thank you for always trying to include us, support us, and make our working environment as comfortable and appealing as possible.

Leadership LESS, RUDE management

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Heska full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I think many people are holding on hoping things will be like they were in 2005; A company committed to employee development, engagement, camaraderie and respect. Products that were diverse, unique and had competitive distinction.

Cons

Unfortunately, the leadership team is run by ego-driven, bull headed, back-stabbing, negative, business lacking management. There is no longer a sense of community, departments are divided and senior VP's are rude and ruthless in meetings. This creates an extremely unmotivated culture, where people are led by fear and blame. Products have lost their unique edge becoming "me-to" products. The CEO no longer seems engaged but just frustrated and exhausted. It shows!! And is felt by all, creating even more tension and finger-pointing.

Get some business skilled and MBA management talent in Executive leadership. Give top leadership a lesson in co-worker communication. Disallow bullying, yelling and abrupt comments. Stop blaming everyone, drop the massive ego's (especially in R&D), be nicer to your people. Hire a stronger HR team committed to building a culture that includes employee development, capitalizing on people's strengths and intra-department communication. Redo your mission and vision so the path to success is clear and success is attainable. Stop trying to just be like your competitors just to come in last all the time. Set yourself apart again with new innovative ideas. Ask the CEO to either recommit in heart and play full out or leave.

Floundering Company with declining value

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Loveland, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO (US)

I worked at Heska full-time

Pros

Small company environment
    Not much else

Cons

Mediocre salary at best
    High turnover

Sell the company to a competitor

Country Bumpkins in charge. Scientists make business decisions. That don't work.

Former Employee - Production  in  Des Moines, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Production in Des Moines, IA (US)

I worked at Heska full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits. You can work there forever if you keep your eyes closed.
    Another reviewer mentioned the Pathways program. I agree that as a program it had potential. The most remarkable outcome of it was that each session devolved into a b!tch session about Heska management and their incompetence and unwillingness to actually listen to and involve employees. What did management do about this feedback? Not a word. No response. No action. No improvement. Probably because the managers said "aahh, what do they know anyway? I have the education. They are just blue collar grunts. Why don't they just do their job and be happy they have a job at all?"

Cons

Poor management and atmosphere. Management-employee relations sucks. A good ole boy network of managers that fosters incompetence and cronyism.

Value employees. They know more about their job than you do. Don't make critical decisions about their job in a closed-door meeting without consulting them.

Monumental Career Mistake

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager  in  Loveland, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Loveland, CO (US)

I have been working at Heska full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The products, coworkers, and pets at work are the best part of the job.

Cons

Everything else-pay decreases year over year, dishonesty, attempt to instill fear instead of training, lack of transparency, lack of trust, lack of employee appreciation, and management's relentless commitment to making the same mistakes over and over again while expecting different results

Stay Away, culture has changed.

I have been working at Heska

Pros

Heska has great benefits and good products. They have strong R&D and stand behind their products, that's why I stay.

Cons

Heska keeps letting go of good people. Every year it seems they place blame on good VP's or Senior Managers as to why the company is not growing at the rate they would like. Current Executives walk around like their the only important ones in the company. Internal culture has gone down hill since they let their former VP of HR go a few years back. I used the love this company, now I can't stand going to work. They have some major improvements to make, people keep quitting, and their new senior leaders seem self-absorbed and unappreciative of developing their employees.

Value your employees, ask for their advice, make employee meetings worth going to.

Worked for Heska? Contribute to the Community!