Hewlett-Packard

3.0 8,352 reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

(3,078 ratings)

Pros
  • Also decent work/life balance when compared to other companies in this industry(in 1045 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done(in 626 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night(in 176 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are(in 313 reviews)

8,352 Employee Reviews

Good for first job, no more!!

Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Reading, England

Pros-Excellent workforce, highly qualified, professionalism and respectful.
    -Different business units with different products and services, capable to build any kind of solutions

Cons-Unqualified managers
    -Aggressive sales quota, unreach or really difficult
    -Important limitations in learning and development career
    -Too much bureaucracy
    -Complexity to change of department or country
    -Low salaries

Not for long-term career seekers

ProsOnline training is one of the best I have ever seen and experienced. They have also Books24x7 for employees. Even though, I think, Safari Online is much better offer.

ConsI am afraid this Company is not interested in the long-term career for its employees. Like any other public companies, the EPS seems to be the indicator that Senior Management likes to see, going up and up.

HP

Business Development Manager (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland

ProsBest Corporate setup i have work in so far in my career

ConsCons are not applicable for HP

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice to for HP management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical large corporation - not good with individual employees

Technical Author (Former Employee) Reading, England

ProsHP has a great name but it is too big - employees are not treated as important. More needs to be done to raise morale.

ConsHP has a poor quality HR function from an employees' perspective. The environment is extremely cliquey. Morale is actually quite low, but the communications from 'leaders' does not acknowledge this.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove quality of leadership and shift focus to morale.

Worst company to work for.

Solution Architect (Current Employee) Bracknell, England

ProsFlexible working, salary is competitive, some good people and skills.

ConsLack of direction, too much change to the point of absurdity, get every last drop of blood from employees. The company functions as a lot of separate businesses all competing against one another. Managers too focused on protecting their domains than seeing the bigger picture for the client. Makes it very difficult to add value. Political and beurocratic in the extreme with little chance of progression. Lots of EDS dead wood management in comfortable positions that need rid.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the company great again. Value your employees more, change the org structure from the ground up. Rebuild your reputation by starting at home. Become more agile in responding to customers needs.

A very nice company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent Company with very good policies. Opportunities for growth and very good support to employees.

ConsStrict Processes are sometimes counter productive. Politics at certain levels can stop growth of employees

Great company culture and work-life balance

Business Support Analyst (Former Employee) Bracknell, England

ProsFantastic culture; my team were one big family
    Lots of flexibility; home working and opportunities for mobile working
    Career progression; great opportunity to come back into a Graduate role
    Plenty of chances to network with people
    Opportunities for personal growth and development
    Chances to get involved in community projects and volunteering

ConsSalary is not fantastic when compared to industry average
    Senior management are not easily accessible
    Can be hard to find/contact the people needed to get the job done
    Lots of in-company jargon

Advice to Senior ManagementMake yourself available to those in less senior positions

the HP Way is dead. this company now has zero business ethics

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Bracknell, England

Prosthe people (though most good ones are leaving at the earliest opportunity)

Conslack of business ethics; procurement seems happy to put suppliers out of business. Also HP can be a very dangerous place to have an opinion on anything.

Advice to Senior Managementwhat goes around comes around. bring back the respect for talent and for partner agencies. it's embarrassing having to damage our partners; procurement is out of control. we all know that what is going on yet we allow it to happen. my advice to management is to grow some backbone.

Good People let down by middle management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsPeople are good to work with. Variarty of roles. The board seem to have got thier act together and the way ahead is clear.

ConsMiddle Management. Like so many large companies the middle management seems to promote to the level of incompatence. Very much tick box management. Training is a rumor and appropriate training a myth.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the Top-Keep going. HP is heading in the right direction. In the middle remember that those staff numbers also equate to real people.

A once-great company in the process of becoming great again.

Sales Director (Current Employee) London, England

ProsVery friendly and welcoming people. Compensation and benefits are good, with a broad package of options available. A large organisation, with lots of opportunity to move about between very different roles. Feels like a very flat organisation, with clear and strong communications down from above - much improved over the last couple of years.

ConsMany of the processes are still quite broken, which doesn't make a salesman's job easier. (Why oh why is pricing anything so difficult? Especially if it's across multiple product lines?)

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down the cross-business-unit barriers! When you say "One HP", you should really mean it - it shouldn't just be words on a chart.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!