Hewlett-Packard

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

(2,635 ratings)

7,585 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work / Life balance, though employees have been asked to report to offices now"
    in 934 reviews
  • "Flexibility is excellent and you can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done"
    in 580 reviews
Cons:
  • "This allowed for a reasonable work/life balance (to which much lip-service HP pays)"
    in 146 reviews
  • "Could not get a straight answer out of any senior management of the future of the division"
    in 293 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Insular and surprisingly outmoded

Change Analyst (Current Employee)
Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsContracting for HP provides you with a great opportunity to work alongside some highly talented technical specialists, and learn some additional skills to boost your future job prospects.
In my case, I have been fortunate to work alongside and for some incredibly knowledgeable and principled people, and would gladly recommend them to all and sundry.

ConsI can only speak from my experience on this account, but as with a lot of organisations, the desire to make money at seemingly all costs means that corners are cut and procedures get thrown out the window. Decisions often get overturned in 'corridor meetings' by senior management, and a general 'JFGID' attitude prevails.
Some of the technology used is end-of-life, and you will most likely require additional training before heading out for your next contract.
Permanent employees are mistreated by their line managers who don't actually meet them in person to discuss their future prospects and career development, and every year there is a large cull in staffing though-out the business.
Documentation is almost non-existent, new starters are pretty much left to fend for themselves, and it is incredibly rare for someone to have their contract cancelled due to ineptitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere to start?! Take an actual interest in what your staff are doing, and try to employ people who are competent.

Great corporation if that's what you're after

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHP is huge and spread out in lots of industries and countries, so there are lots of career opportunities. You tend to have big impact in what you do in terms of numbers. In commercial roles, HP is very operational which build excellent business acumen. There is also a very good life/work balance in most jobs.

ConsHP in my opinion, compared to other global IT companies, and to its heritage, is not innovative, agile or bold as it can be. Every decision takes forever because of matrices, alignment and confusion. Also, there is a lack of product culture - people tend to think either too technically or too operationally, lacking visionary product thinking. It is not for you if you prefer smaller companies or product focused companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake bigger risks. Get better at product vision, And get closer to the global startup community for the ideas, the talent and so the culture can change with the times.

Supports hard-working employees; caveats: not with compensation, luck with regards to manager & job security.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Derby, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard part-time for more than 5 years

ProsMeg Whitman is strong, inspiring & I do beleive she is turning HP around. I do believe in her.
Supportive of remote working & flexible hours so long as you deliver reliably.
Access to training.

ConsMeg's turnaround is at the expense of a lot of people's jobs & your judged performance is no indication of job security.
Don't expect a bonus! Recognition tends to be a pat on the back.
Training has to be done in your own time at your own expense.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you DO care about keeping the workforce then you are heading for a problem. Once you pare the workforce down to what you want you had better start to compensate again. Long-service are taking EOW & younger, high-performers will leave. You will be left with mediocracy

A good business for work/life balance

Information Systems Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople within technology services are on the whole valuable individuals. There is a lot of expertise within technology, there are some very strong project managers, there are some strong architects. Many of the people managers are excellent.

ConsOutsourcing business contains a large number of limited skills, hp has disparate business units, lengthy due diligence processes. The consulting businesses should lose the concept of dedicated people managers - and re-introduce team leaders so that they remain practitioners

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild two all-encompassing consulting businesses ala GBS/GTS - a Business-focused one, a Technology-focused one

Don't expect the HP Way

Client Principal (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat people
Great projects
Lots of office & client locations
Excellent R&D talent
Innnovative solutions (outside of EDS)

ConsPoor regional management
Driven by monthly reporting cycles
Overwhelming personal admin burden
HR is not Personnel = Hiring & Redundancies
"The ropes dont reach the ground"

Advice to Senior ManagementRefresh the in-country management tiers
Ban management by spreadsheets
Make local leaders visible to their people

Great life work balance

Executive, Business Development (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than a year

ProsThey support remote working and encourage employees to be results driven and rewarded.

ConsThe time it takes to get rewarded and processes involved are often frustrating

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify the processes to get the most out of people

HP has potential to become a top employer once again

Business Consultant (Current Employee)
Leeds, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExpansive Potential Opportunities
Potential Career Accelerations
Work/life Balance

ConsSilo's
Lack of 'Project Time'
Lack of support with everyday essentials (pens, notepads, envelopes etc)
Evidently only a problem in my division, but profit rather than employee satisfaction driven

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue building with the OneHP approach

Consulting

Managing Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Opportunity to experience different aspects of transformation programmes.
- YOU can drive where and what you want to do
- It's your career, so meet as much people as you can to progress your career forward.

Cons- Most transformation programmes are IT transformation, typically within an account that HP already has a multi-year contract with.
- The consulting roles are mostly internal consulting roles, which means your client base are the HP's account teams.
- If you don't drive your career forward you are stuck doing things you are not really keen on - you become a generalist consultant.
- There are several internal consulting organisations, so you need to find out if you are in the right one, as there are some variations in what they do.
- Inhouse consultants are typically deemed as body shop ... although the management would argue otherwise.
- Training ... non-existent. Budget is set early in the year, but almost never used and usually gets stripped to other pots.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest to the team and admit that you are a body shop organisation. If you want to develop your consultants and keep them motivated, develop capabilities in "Business Development" teams as one way to move the consulting team forward.

Poor Company with awful culture

Client Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsUsed to have some good workers, never good leaders.

ConsLack of recognition, no confidence in the leadership, who you know not what you can do results in promotion, leaders dont practice what they preach (expenses), absolutely untrustworthy personnel departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruit some management that actually cares about quality, people, and leadership (inspirational types). Get rid of the liars and the untrustworthy personnel departments.

Learning what should be done because we do the opposite...

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)
Hook, South East England, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBlue Chip Company
Job Security
Flexible Employer
Good opportunities if your under the right manager

ConsLack of resources with the correct skill sets assigned to projects
Project delivery is focused on payment milestones rather than quality
Employer does not invest in employees enough
Salary packages are not in line with industry standards

Advice to Senior ManagementAct earlier... there's a huge opportunity to improve deliverables, be more efficient, etc but senior management always seems to get involved 6 months too late and by then there damage is often irreversible!

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman. All 7,585 reviews are posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees.