Hewlett-Packard

9,334 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,620 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance due to flexibility of work schedule but that's about it (in 1209 reviews)

• Being able to work from home is also great so you are never behind in work (in 684 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 211 reviews)

• You can hear people want to fix issues but the senior management just doesn't get it (in 319 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome.

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Generally, well structured. Good pay scale.

Cons

Nothing really. Yeah you do get the occasional politically-oriented individuals, but just avoid them. Go do what you were employed to do, try and have fun while you are at it and then go home!

None.

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Bracknell, England
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Bracknell, England

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

HP is a very customer focused company and has some great products. HP always tries to do the right thing and act ethically. The pay and benefits are good. The work - life balance is good and it is a very family friendly company.

Cons

HP faces major challenges due to the weak PC - printer - outsourcing markets.

Great place to experience something new every couple of years

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The brand is fantastic but has had it's drop in popularity recently - still a Silicon Valley icon! Work/life balance is good and it doesn't have to be all hours if you don't want it to be. Personal growth has been great for me.

Cons

Salary has been a little lower than I'd like but relatively OK. Strategy in several areas are a little suspicious.

Cost reduction

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Milton Keynes, England
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Milton Keynes, England

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I used to work for the Enterprise Services part of HP, the majority of which, myself included, originated from EDS before HP took them over. These people have a can-do attitude and most will help each other to reach a common goal. Without the people I would have left some time ago.

The work-life balance is good but this may be more of a result on not having a awful lot of work to do! HP are currently pretty flexible about working from home although increasingly they are preferring you to work out of a country hub ofice. HP run a flexible benefits package where you can select those benefits that are more important to you.

Cons

The company is going through a large re-structuring exercise with 1000's of jobs disappearing globally. As a result of this motivation is pretty low. With the move to country hubs, many posts are being migrated to these - you can move with the job but you are not really expected to. They would rather you took redundancy or make you redundant (not sure how that works if the job is still there) so that they can employ someone with the lower local rates.

Looking back over payslips for the last 7 years my net pay seems to have stayed pretty much the same - I know pay rises have been pretty non-existant but it still surprised me.

There seems to be little communication between different parts of the company - a colleague of mine was recently congratulated on his great contribution to the company on his 25th work anniversary in the same week as he was told he was been made redundant.

Bureaucracy is alive and well in HP. You have to go through so many hoops to do something where previously there was someone locally you could talk to. Another colleague had to raise a case with HR to resign because he didn't know who he worked for.

Oh and make sure you bring your own pens, pads, diaries with you if you join - we haven't had any free stationary for years!

Listen to the people at the coal face. Your 'voice of the work force' survey is not enough.

great working expereince and would recommend others to join too

Current Employee - Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Director in London, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

best reason to work here is that the people are friendly. Other than that I would say lot of opportunities to grow

Cons

none that I can see

none

Good Place to Work. Invests in its Employees.

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. Stable Company. Trains Employees with certification opportunities. Pay is decent. Relatively flexible for such a large company. Future looking company.

Cons

Large company so all the issues related to large companies. Nothing new.

Invest in new emerging technology and solution areas such as Threat Analytics, Make it easier for customers to access information on support, licenses etc.

Junior Sales Executive

Current Employee - Sales Graduate in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Graduate in London, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Everyone is nice
    -People genuinely would like you to succeed
    -Employees are genuinely empowered and respected

Cons

Possibly that management are slowish at making decisions but at the same time are very calculated. Silos between divisions

Continue fighting for fairer terms in regards to working with other divisions and hold don't take crap from them- i.e. Enterprise Group and Enterprise Services want to utilise Software's capabilities and include them in sales to customers but refuse to adhere to their side of the bargain

HP

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, great team of engineers

Cons

Long hours and late nights

Realistic project timescales and functionality.

High-flying, super-tech corporate glamour hides corporate indifference to its own employees.

Current Employee - Cloud Services in Erskine, Scotland
    Current Employee - Cloud Services in Erskine, Scotland

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees, mangers and functional leads are generally supportive and work well to try to integrate the available tech with the processes and the delivery. Decent benefits package is ok but not spectacular. At manager/lead level hours are self-arranged according to program or business needs, working from home is accepted provided this doesn’t restrict workload drastically. The company name attracts good people and the overall vibe is ethical and egalitarian, (there are no Mister's or Ma'am's involved - everyone is first name). Excellent onsite facilities and good provision for technical access and tools. Pay-scales appear good from outside and can be achieved in a reasonable time if your contribution is very valuable, or if they are desperate to on-board your skill. Plenty of in-house training opportunities provided and at most levels colleagues are willing to knowledge-share for the hell of it. There is a huge wealth of skill to tap into as HP retains a high number of employees who have decades of experience and accumulated wealth from days when pay was plenty, who are friendly, knowledgeable, settled for life and have no axe to grind, and are happy to share expertise. A plethora of opportunity for career development, offering a very wide range of job experiences while staying in the same company. Promotion can be achieved in reasonable timescales by diligence, or by program-hopping….

Cons

…..- provided you can do without the pay increase or be prepared to fight for years to get it. HP is a dinosaur of a company which has many good intentions let down badly by poorly-advised management at Global levels. The constant self-congratulation gets weary very quickly, and sometimes you watch employee webcasts looking for signs of doubt on faces of global Leaders and wonder if they really believe the hype. HP is too immersed in the share-driven leverage culture where ‘striving to achieve’ and ‘belt-tightening to improve efficiency’ really means underpaid employees working long hours and stressing just to stand still. Everything has a cost which needs to be approved (including performance-related earnings and wage increases) and these are analysed to death and will be turned down where there is no direct benefit to customers or to the buying public. Attacking the company publicly is career death. Internal promotions will be granted but you will not receive the rate of pay for that grade for up to 3 years if you have a manager who is hopeless or if you are not prepared to leave to make a point. Fact - out of 212 promotions which were approved and which had employees working in their new post for a period of up to 18 months, only 6 people got their pay upgrade. Some employees are waiting on increases of $11k to bring then up to pay grade. These are regularly turned down as the increase would be 70% for lower paid management or analysts– not only high–flyers. Some base-rate staff who have been promoted to controller/management roles for 2 years or more are still on base-rate of under £14000. Beware if you join HP at a base-rate pay, they will look for any excuse not to increase your pay, while promising reward for performance. The irony is that for urgent projects HP will stump up for sometimes not-very-specialist contractors at hundreds of pounds each per day each to save face with failing customer-facing projects or contracts, while the existing teams get flayed for 'underperforming' on an impossibly low budget.

Management at Program or Service Delivery/ Capability level are mostly sympathetic, hard-working and efficient individuals who strive to stay afloat. Advice to higher management: address attrition by paying those who perform adequately, adequately. Do not assume that overhead costs will continue to be reduced by refusing to pay appropriate salaries. HP is losing valuable talent by failing to pay anything like the going rate for expertise. Attrition percentages for recent years are heavily disguised by those taking voluntary redundancy who would be leaving anyway. Business groups and Support /Services have been haemorrhaging good people and valuable talent due to overwork, poor salary and the expected excesses of over-leveraging resources. HP is perceived internally as being unable to to recognise worth, contrary to the perform2win pay-for-performance propaganda. It is only a matter of time before word gets around and expertise will be something HP cannot hold onto, or attract.

Toxic environment because of lack of leadership and management. Not treating contractors with respect.

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

To a subcontractor, they pay very promptly. Other than that. I can't think of any pros.

Cons

Worst contract I have ever had. It maybe they are in the middle of another reorg. Since I have been on board. The person I am supposed to report to had not check on me for a month. The team leader had never bother to speak with me either. I had no direction and expect ion of me. I was left to listen to junior staff who make decisions I do not agree with. Unfortunately, the junior staff is a bit of a bully. He already had been identified as obstructive by the project. However, the team leader didn't let him go. Everyday I see him berate people obstructing the progress without any management putting a rein on him. There is resentment particularly in my team regarding contractors.
    We were never in any team meetings ie we are not part of their team. We have been given meager tasks totally unrelated to our capability or what we were hired for. Even after we are security cleared. The junior staff hold up our access to prod as he wants the overtime pay for himself. The products HP or other contractors sell to the UK government is ridiculous. The tools for asset, user, incident, problem and project management are either non existent or unusable. The one that exists, they are not searchable or accurate. It is totally not industrial standard.

Have better idea of what your staff is up to. Such as weekly report.
    Set expectations and let your expectations known to your staff
    Invest in tools that are searchable and scalable to manage work flow. Without it, you would not be able to analyse the time spent in ridiculous and meager tasks.
    Manage unruly staff better.