Hewlett-Packard

3.0 8,356 reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

(3,079 ratings)

Pros
  • Also decent work/life balance when compared to other companies in this industry(in 1045 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done(in 626 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night(in 176 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are(in 313 reviews)

8,356 Employee Reviews

HR

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proscareer opportunities but only within the same country

Consno relocation package, lack of innovation, very process driven, lack of training

Education

Enterprise Account Manager (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland

ProsGained top level training and understanding of how the I.T industry works

ConsVery Very Silod, Communication is not the best

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk more

A stable organization with strong values

Sales Representative (Current Employee) London, England

Pros- Good work life balance
    - Great people and strong team culture
    - Clear strategy, and company on solid footing after turnaround.
    - CEO Meg Whitman has built stability and confidence internally and externally to the organisation

Cons- Middle Management too transient
    - Complex organization with a lot of bureaucracy
    - Internal politics and process can often hinder sales

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the bureaucracy and red tape
    Focus middle management more on people management and leadership, less reporting

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Frustrating

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Erskine, Scotland

ProsGood experience worked with some really clever people and plenty of opportunity to move internally to other roles or progress your career

ConsTerrible middle managers with no authority and no desire to support personal growth. Most of the team leaders are only interested in you hitting their targets and racking up 3 hours of time on the phone.

Advice to Senior Managementimplement a new management structure that have the ability to make dynamic decisions

Good products but very inwardly focussed and commoditised

Sales Representative (Current Employee) London, England

ProsVery good people - very good brand

ConsNo market changing innovation - has made a mess of all its aquisitions in s/w. No growth .

Advice to Senior ManagementMassive culture change required - Need to kill off huge numbers of bean counters and increase sales heads.

Security Architect in Consultancy (UK)

Security Architect (Current Employee) Bracknell, England

ProsWhen I started it had a great management team and great director. I got management support but a lot can change in a short time. Used to be a good work - family life balance.

ConsNew management with no backbone who cower before the loud mouthed barking senior managers. Given all the evidence of the project work being badly managed we are still blamed. Even though we have evidence. Ears are shut to that. Too much finger pointing and red tape. No pay rise and rewards. There is no work family balance and it is your problem if you have kids to take care of. Just get the work done "don't wanna hear your problems"

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow some backbone be able to support your team. Sort out the re-orgs once and for all and stop giving us bad news. Start doing "Team" stuff.

OK company

Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee) Andover, England

ProsRelaxed work environment, great people

ConsConstant threat of redundancy, negative atmosphere

Advice to Senior ManagementStop getting rid of people

HP Enterprise Services

Senior Solutions Architect (Former Employee) Bracknell, England

ProsSome really great cooperative peers and managers.
    Remnants of the EDS culture of getting the job done, no matter what.
    Some true friends made out of HP / EDS staff.

ConsSome colleagues having heart attacks due to pressure and stress.
    Constant attrition to the head count, loss of highly skilled workers (me aside).
    Constant demoralisation from snr management dictates of X 1000's to be cut in next Q, year on year.
    Powerless lower management to preserve their effective workforce, to the extent they move on due to being forced into conflicting ethical situations.
    Longevity of career is not really an option you can manage at HP.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing the locale and grade cost numbers game regardless of the outcomes.
    I had 6 months + client booked work before being selected for redundancy, this caused major issues for the client team and the obviously the client.
    Do you seriously realise how embarrassing it is to explain to a client you are being made redundant when they just bought into a new initiative you sold them for extensions of services?

I decided for all the above reasons not to look for another position within HP whilst being canned.

Sales

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Bracknell, England

ProsLocal to house. Nothing more

ConsJobs for boys. Hr recruiters little to no experience

Advice to Senior ManagementGet involved in understanding the talent you have and use it

Waste of time

Proswork/life balance - they are flexible in working from home & working around your appointments/arrangements

Conslow morale, high redundancy & attrition rate, possible redundancy candidates are expected to find a new role themselves with no suggestions from management, it is extremely difficult to find the right person to talk to if you need help with something, processes for everything are complicated, lack of structure, they want low cost people to make up 80% of the wage budget

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sacrificing quality in order to save money

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!