Hewlett-Packard

9,034 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,451 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance due to flexibility of work schedule but that's about it (in 1156 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done (in 656 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 200 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are (in 317 reviews)

More Highlights

Junior Sales Executive

Current Employee - Sales Graduate in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Graduate in London, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Everyone is nice
    -People genuinely would like you to succeed
    -Employees are genuinely empowered and respected

Cons

Possibly that management are slowish at making decisions but at the same time are very calculated. Silos between divisions

Continue fighting for fairer terms in regards to working with other divisions and hold don't take crap from them- i.e. Enterprise Group and Enterprise Services want to utilise Software's capabilities and include them in sales to customers but refuse to adhere to their side of the bargain

HP

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, great team of engineers

Cons

Long hours and late nights

Realistic project timescales and functionality.

Going through bad times

Current Employee - Project Services in Norwich, England
    Current Employee - Project Services in Norwich, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

Working from home was encouraged. The staff are HPs greatest asset.

Cons

Salary is poor and rarely reviewed. Yearly bonuses are a waste of time and the whole performance review process is simply a tick in the box exercise.

Keep your decent staff by paying decent rates

A Titanic of a company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Big, "proper" and pretty sturdy, good if you want to do a 9-to-5 job, where the processes are already created, documented and are easy to follow. Great library of training material. Also HP is a big player who can afford to sponsor, donate and support.

Cons

Again, a Titanic of a company. Because of its vast size, changes take a long while to get fully embedded into the company, mindsets etc. Impersonal, no encouragement of creativity, no need to thrive, conquer, seek challenges... just stick to your desk, be vanilla and clock in the years of service. Bet your grandad used to work for HP back in the days!

Give the stars a chance to shine, otherwise they WILL leave.

not spectular

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I learned a lot working on the field

Cons

low pay, long hours, poor level of professional

Ok for a short stay, but if you want a career that also offers the reward, you will need to go elsewhere.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Erskine, Scotland
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Erskine, Scotland

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in, with great facilities and easy to get to. Lots of specialized fields meaning lots of opportunities and training

Cons

More often than not there will be Pay freezes, Travel Bans, ongoing redundancies, and no rewards if you secure a Job promotion.

A company in a cognitive dissonance

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HP has two main assets - people and legacy. There are really fantastic coworkers that have accumulated knowledge and wisdom and are willing to share unconditionally. It's a company with a amazing legacy of innovation, entrepreneurship and engineering at its best.

Cons

Old, slow, lazy, apathetic and demotivated company. Too many processes with too little link to reality. As people often say, the biggest battles we have are not outside, rather than inside the company. Lacking clear direction, this company has lost its way and soul starting with Carly Fiorina. Frankly speaking, I'm afraid it's following its path to oblivion

Regain the trust of your employees. You have lost the battle with your most loyal ones...

Leviathan - over-"managed" - technology sheep (nowadays)

Former Employee - ES Techie
    Former Employee - ES Techie

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at HP (previously EDS, then HP Enterprise Services) for 8 years, bear in mind that this is probably different to other parts of HP, which operate pretty independently (despite the management messages that we were one big happy entity). On the plus side, because it is so huge, it's possible to carve a niche and find more interesting work than the pigeon-holed job description everyone has should allow. It can be quite flexible - e.g. working from home, though I hear there are plans to stop this - who knows...?

Cons

Constant cuts (travel & training go first). Awful processes - if you do need to travel it has to be planned (and documented in many words) a couple of weeks in advance and approved by layers of "management", costing far more in person-hours than the travel itself. It always amused me when I had to provide a justification for travel, when it was for the benefit of the company, and on behalf of someone else.
    There are many jobsworths in admin/"management" (which has a different meaning at HP to anywhere else you can think of - they are constantly referring to "leaders" - in the eyes of the people doing the work, "leaders" = those who send lots of useless emails with the latest "initiatives" to "improve this, that and the other" with no proper weight behind them - i.e. noise).
    Constant threat of redundancy (which ultimately made me take VR - I got fed up of it). Redundancies seem to target the techies/PMs doing the real work as well, not the "leaders" in middle-management.
    Poor salary increases, even though I had three consecutive years at the very top performance rating, I received barely 1%/year increase and about the same in bonuses (other years resulted in zero, regardless of rating) - and that was when they were bleating about how they were rewarding good performance.
    Some shoddy behaviour - telling people they must relocate from one end of the country to the other (fine if you're unsettled, but that does not apply to majority) - then when you don't/can't, removing your post and recreating it as a new graduate position in the new location (NB: this is not sour grapes, it did not happen to me..)

Stop the condescension (with your "leaders" and your over-worked processes for everything from procuring paperclips to buying a £10 train ticket), let people do the thinking - it's what people are good at, and what you supposed pay them to do...

Frustrating

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Breadth of portfolio; potential; some good people

Cons

Culture differs by business unit. In some culture is very positive and supportive, in others it is not. Still a feeling that HP is a loosely coupled set of disparate businesses that has not worked out how to weld this together effectively at the client interface. Some truly unexceptional senior leaders in some areas.

Break the company up into smaller parts

Bad Experience at HP

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Just Name. Every one know HP.

Cons

No Career Opportunities. Low Pay

Please look after employees