Hewlett-Packard

8,760 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,300 Ratings

Pros
  • Also decent work/life balance when compared to other companies in this industry (in 1045 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done (in 626 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 176 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are (in 313 reviews)

More Highlights

Avoid PC Business

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Bracknell, England
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Bracknell, England

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good resource and back office support
    Fairly good systems
    Mature channel route to market
    Established direct operation
    Great brand
    Good spread of office locations

Cons

Middle management are terrible, probably the worst leadership team in the industry
    Poor strategy and direction
    Sales are accountable for everything and empowered to do nothing

Refesh the management team

Graduate Experience with HP UK

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for less than a year

Pros

HP has a great reputation and very strong position in the IT market, and so irrespective of how you find your time there, it will look good on a CV. I was a part of the programme for only 7 months before being offered a job at another company which better suited my intended career trajectory and included a significant pay rise.
    This was not without effort on my part and a thorough application/job search process, but having HP experience undoubtedly contributed.

Some really good people work in the company -hard working and persevering.

The Sales Graduate Programme is extremely focused on Sales - which is great if Sales is your passion, you live and breath it in a target oriented environment. There is plenty of money to be earned by successful sales people (but not especially during your graduate programme year, where you are actually more of a telesales rep)

Cons

BIGGEST CON: the programme is advertised as 25k starting salary, and we all signed contracts stating that we had a 25k basic yearly salary. But after one month, every sales graduate's basic salary was cut to 20k. 20% of our wage was made OTE, and we were told that if this made us uncomfortable that we were "on the wrong programme".
    Additionally, to this date (7months+ into a year long programme) some of the graduates' sales letters are still incorrect and they have been underpaid even with accepting this 20% cut.
    This inevitably led to a lack of trust. Difficulties with effective communication and understanding between those running the programme from London made this an issue almost impossible to resolve.
    Certainly, a couple of the grads were lucky enough to be put into teams/sectors that allowed them to meet this OTE goal, but others were put into teams where they were only paid on a fraction of the portfolios that they were required to work on, or were given the "unwanted" clients who were notoriously difficult to work with.

The programme is extremely sales focused: yes, great if you love sales, but there is minimal (if any) flexibility to move across business units or develop skills outside of what is required by Sales. Voicing desires to broaden horizons was met with a negative view. If you are a recent graduate who is looking to dip your toe in the world of business to find your niche, or gain a broad skill-set for the future, this is not for you. If you love sales, enjoy real competition, have a tenacity to succeed individually above all else, and understand the criticality of social networking in a sales workplace, then certainly this might be a good option for you.

Internally, there are mixed views of the worth of the graduate programme and how it is run. Those running it view it to be the "future" of HP Sales, planning to expand it from 12 graduates this year to 30 in the coming year. This will be the 3rd year that the number of graduates has swelled by more than 100%, and I am unconvinced of the scalability of the programme. This year, 2 graduates had left (of the 12) by the end of March, and I know of other graduates who are actively seeking employment elsewhere. One has all but secured an alternative and is very certain they will not be completing the year.
    Elsewhere in the company, Hiring Managers view the graduate programme to be flawed because it does not reflect the "end goal" of field sales. The programme is based in Inside Sales and this desk job on the phones does not reflect the field role, and don't prepare graduates for what their future jobs truly entail.

The day job is telephone based and does not contribute to your progress on the grad programme. You are assessed according to the number and quality of role plays you do, and a series of presentations. You are discouraged from using time during working hours to do this. No time is set aside during the week exclusively for the graduate programme. The conflict between the day job responsibilities and commitment to the programme requirements is recognised by those in senior positions, but the response has been to work through lunches, stay later and arrive earlier, as well as working at the weekends.
    There is certainly nothing abnormal about requiring a hard work ethic from graduates, but in HP there is frequently a lack of employer support or real recognition of this work. Additionally when you are earning a salary of 20k whilst working up to 60 hour weeks, it is easy to become demotivated without support.

BE HONEST: Do not advertise a basic salary that is fictional. You will only end up with employees who feel lied to.

If you plan to increase the number of graduates every year, ensure resources (L&D, devotion of graduate programme leaders etc) is scaled accordingly. This year with 12 graduates there were many who felt the resources were too stretched and not enough quality training was provided. Similarly, there is something to be said about "mob mentality" - this year with 12 grads, when one of us came across a difficulty or something we viewed as unfair, we shared it among our group. More often than not, we found parallels in others' situations, swapped examples of viewed inefficiencies or mistreatment (sometimes of other HP employees not within the grad group) and could build an extensive pool of such examples. This inevitably led to a communal feeling of dissatisfaction, and I am sure that the openly voiced way in which some grads pursued other jobs encouraged others to do the same. My advice to Management to avoid this is to become more involved with the grad group, ensure lines of communication are open, and that issues can be raised in ways that graduates will not feel the threat of having their careers put in jeopardy.

Don't just talk about a corporate environment of "communication, collaboration, accountability", execute it. Or else a reputation of hypocrisy and mistrust may scare off some of your best current and potential employees.

Lions led by....

Current Employee - Business Consultant V  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Business Consultant V in London, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are great - knowledgeable, helpful - genuine desire to do a good job for the customer
    Fantastic variety of clients and situations
    Great capabilities - tools, products, people
    Freedom to perform - free to use your common sense (often) and work as a contributor where appropriate

Cons

Could moan about pay rises (none!) BUT actually that is a bigger problem than just at HP. The real issue is that management appears to be populated solely by spread sheet monkeys. Leadership is about inspiring and providing direction, not box ticking. I worked at a number of other Blue Chips and all invested in me as a leader over 25 years... I see none of that at HP.... if it is taking place, then it isn't working.

Stop managing spread sheets and start leading people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some where to retire...

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Decent pay, with awesome work life balance

Cons

no career progression, you will not be missed if you are gone

Soul destroying

Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist  in  Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most people I work with are great and much of the work is interesting and challenging.

Cons

Poor prospects, continuing erosion of pay and benefits while more and more is expected of you for less. Management don't want UK employees they want offshore, cheap resources. Everything is based on short term planning. Training is off the menu.

Try to learn who your employees are and treat them with respect - actions, not words. Provide clear and detailed pictures of where you expect the company to be in 3-5 years, especially employee numbers per team. If we're not in your plans tell us so we can make career choices in our own timescales.

Fantastic Organization with extremely talented People all around.

Current Employee - Network Consultant  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Network Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I experienced only growth,rich experience and some fantastic people to work around with.

Cons

I do not have any negative experience to share here for HP.

Nothing they are all doing great job..

not the same company I started with 22 years ago

Current Employee - Manager  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

still financially solid, good reputation, good low level people (tecnical etc.).

Cons

No chance to get decent pay increase unless you come from outside. Workload. Management is crazy, beside maybe the lowest level who do real practical things, obove them they keep reorganizing and changing names to teams, too worried about their bonuses only. Processes out of control, completely crazy (to order a 1K$ sw we spent 45 days trying about 10 different internal processes and teams)

Give few clear, simple, alligned goals and metrics at L2 and these must be the same for all the people under them. Now each 3-5 people team has a different goal competing with the next 5 people team next to them. Metrics have ruined HP. We work for the good of HP, not of the little guy above us (who changes anyway every 8 months).

9 years of decline in what became a truly horrendous organisation.

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Bracknell, England
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Bracknell, England

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Salary were good, products were innovative (10 years ago)

Cons

In 2011 there were some truly terrible mid and senior level managers within the PC business. They were (and probably still are) only interested in making themselves look important and successful in front of their line managers. There is very little consideration given to employees in terms of work/life balance, nor are redundancies handled particulaly well.

Remember that the people that work for you are humans and have lives and families....

Good for first job, no more!!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant  in  Reading, England
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Reading, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Excellent workforce, highly qualified, professionalism and respectful.
    -Different business units with different products and services, capable to build any kind of solutions

Cons

-Unqualified managers
    -Aggressive sales quota, unreach or really difficult
    -Important limitations in learning and development career
    -Too much bureaucracy
    -Complexity to change of department or country
    -Low salaries

Great placement year

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as an intern

Pros

Real responsibility in a great team

Cons

Difficult to get back as a graduate as schemes are limited

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!