Hewlett-Packard

9,334 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,620 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance due to flexibility of work schedule but that's about it (in 1209 reviews)

• Being able to work from home is also great so you are never behind in work (in 684 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 211 reviews)

• You can hear people want to fix issues but the senior management just doesn't get it (in 319 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, with good people.

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

Benefits, flexible working, good people. Technically interesting and challenging at times.

Cons

Can be a large bureaucracy and sometimes the process dominates. Technical freedom to innovate can be stifled by the large system demands/

Sales

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bracknell, England
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bracknell, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Local to house. Nothing more

Cons

Jobs for boys. Hr recruiters little to no experience

Get involved in understanding the talent you have and use it

Used to be great, now rapidly worsening.

Current Employee - Account Service Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Service Manager in London, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Dynamic work environment and international culture.

Cons

- Emphasis on lower costs over quality
    - Endless number of bottlenecks in management and administration
    - Resistant to change and innovation
    - Decreasing regard for customers

Work on increasing quality, rather than repeatedly making cost cuts which lead to no results.

Great company with awesome heritage and heading in the right direction again

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

There are opportunities to get involved across a breadth of customers, industries and solutions. When you work with the right people the experience is fantastic. HP Labs in any location is a positive customer engagement.

Cons

The translation of strategy and direction from the top is very different to how it is delivered on the ground. HP has all the components to be awesome when everything comes together, its just getting it to come together.

Generall positive, but getting less so

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Telford, England
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Telford, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great, great opportunities

Cons

No salary increases, lack of people to do the work.

Pay your top performers what they are worth!

Sadly one of the worst decisions of my life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some talented people who are happy to help, pay isn't terrible for the amount of real work people do, there are some good corporate benefits, its mostly a 9-5 where you can erase your experience at the end of the day.

Office isn't bad, its had its day don't get me wrong but compared to other offices it still has some redeeming qualities (on-site gym, good catering, bright)

Personally, I still have a lot of respect for HP as a brand but I can't deny that my time here has been one of the most demoralising experiences of my life to date.

Cons

Highly bureaucratic, documents on top of documents, processes over already bloated processes, but with no real sense that these complexities are creating any value for HP or its customers.

Employees can work on projects for years and there be no end result, was the customer happy? Some projects are so insular that employees don't really know who the customer is and what it was they were sold in the first place, therefore no real understanding of where they fit into the value chain.

Career progression is almost non-existent, even for highly talented employees, many of which can double their salary when they inevitably make the move externally.

Attrition rate is unbelievable, there is no incentive for a long term career in the company, which is tragic. Many of the people walking out the door are talented people that under the right circumstances could create tremendous value for HP especially during this critical turnaround period. Almost everyone is following a silent agenda of finding greener pastures outside the company.

Firstly put up your hand and say hello, no one is really sure who you are.

I don't know what the solution is but what I will say is that there are a lot of good people in this company. Get to know them, be bold about developing them, work to get rid of all the unnecessary complexity that is draining moral from employees and profits from HP's accounts.

These days I would struggle to articulate what HP is truly great at any more, I would say the company needs to be aggressive about redefining its purpose. That might mean huge sacrifices but I think this is now unavoidable. We are now a lame racehorse that was once a champion, great change is necessary if we are going to be a phoenix rising from its own ashes.

Experience of Hewlett Packard

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good people, flexibility to move within company

Cons

Long approval/ governance processes,

Communicate better

Everything is over complicated

Former Employee - Remote Worker in Bracknell, England
    Former Employee - Remote Worker in Bracknell, England

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people, some really bright and loyal staff who are good to work with in challenging circumstances. There is the ability to move around within the company and or countries. Bonus scheme and benefits are ok.

Cons

I have worked across two different divisions/companies within HP and they have similar issues. Disconnected Systems and applications, poor infrastructure, seriously over complicated internal processes. No thought given to where redundancies are made just a straight cut rolling out on quarterly basis which kills moral. Higher levels of management seem to change as if they are going through revolving doors, absolutely no money for training, stationary, laptops, printer cartridges etc all such requests denied. Decisions often made on a per customer budget basis rather than taking a higher level view which would enable HP to improve and offer better services to all customers. For a Technology company, I have never seen so many manual processes, I have seen staff hired offshore to do roles that applications can do? Many poor decisions made by people who have no knowledge of the impact to service offering, customer or revenue. Business units operate as individual companies I saw little or no evidence of One HP. It has been an experience but not one I would want to repeat.

Improve infrastructure and internal systems, cut the levels of management, (too many layers), and make intelligent decisions on improving the offerings to customers, decisions that will last long term and grow the business.

Right company to be in at the right time

Current Employee - Presales Technical Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Presales Technical Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, investment in training but if you want it you have to ask for it. Competitive salary, real opportunity to over-achieve. Product set is vast which can be both a strength and a weakness.

Cons

Car allowance a little on the low side taking tax into consideration.

Be more transparent when making redundancy announcements. A workforce of 300k + is bound to need some fat trimming, but when you announce it to the public, let the workforce know more detail.

Channel Operation Specialist

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Career Opportunities, International interactions, company culture, available tools, strong brand, great colleagues,

Cons

Salary, repetitive tasks, unstable business outlook