Hewlett-Packard Reviews

10377 reviews filtered by

1. HP

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, great team of engineers

Cons

Long hours and late nights

Advice to Management

Realistic project timescales and functionality.

Toxic environment because of lack of leadership and management. Not treating contractors with respect.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

To a subcontractor, they pay very promptly. Other than that. I can't think of any pros.

Cons

Worst contract I have ever had. It maybe they are in the middle of another reorg. Since I have been on board. The person I am supposed to report to had not check on me for a month. The team leader had never bother to speak with me either. I had no direction and expect ion of me. I was left to listen to junior staff who make decisions I do not agree with. Unfortunately, the junior staff is a bit of a bully. He already had been identified as obstructive by the project. However, the team leader didn't let him go. Everyday I see him berate people obstructing the progress without any management putting a rein on him. There is resentment particularly in my team regarding contractors.
    We were never in any team meetings ie we are not part of their team. We have been given meager tasks totally unrelated to our capability or what we were hired for. Even after we are security cleared. The junior staff hold up our access to prod as he wants the overtime pay for himself. The products HP or other contractors sell to the UK government is ridiculous. The tools for asset, user, incident, problem and project management are either non existent or unusable. The one that exists, they are not searchable or accurate. It is totally not industrial standard.

Advice to Management

Have better idea of what your staff is up to. Such as weekly report.
    Set expectations and let your expectations known to your staff
    Invest in tools that are searchable and scalable to manage work flow. Without it, you would not be able to analyse the time spent in ridiculous and meager tasks.
    Manage unruly staff better.

not spectular

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I learned a lot working on the field

Cons

low pay, long hours, poor level of professional

Ok for a short stay, but if you want a career that also offers the reward, you will need to go elsewhere.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Erskine, Scotland
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Erskine, Scotland

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in, with great facilities and easy to get to. Lots of specialized fields meaning lots of opportunities and training

Cons

More often than not there will be Pay freezes, Travel Bans, ongoing redundancies, and no rewards if you secure a Job promotion.

6. Frustrating

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Breadth of portfolio; potential; some good people

Cons

Culture differs by business unit. In some culture is very positive and supportive, in others it is not. Still a feeling that HP is a loosely coupled set of disparate businesses that has not worked out how to weld this together effectively at the client interface. Some truly unexceptional senior leaders in some areas.

Advice to Management

Break the company up into smaller parts

A company in a cognitive dissonance

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

HP has two main assets - people and legacy. There are really fantastic coworkers that have accumulated knowledge and wisdom and are willing to share unconditionally. It's a company with a amazing legacy of innovation, entrepreneurship and engineering at its best.

Cons

Old, slow, lazy, apathetic and demotivated company. Too many processes with too little link to reality. As people often say, the biggest battles we have are not outside, rather than inside the company. Lacking clear direction, this company has lost its way and soul starting with Carly Fiorina. Frankly speaking, I'm afraid it's following its path to oblivion

Advice to Management

Regain the trust of your employees. You have lost the battle with your most loyal ones...

Bad Experience at HP

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Just Name. Every one know HP.

Cons

No Career Opportunities. Low Pay

Advice to Management

Please look after employees

Leviathan - over-"managed" - technology sheep (nowadays)

Former Employee - ES Techie
    Former Employee - ES Techie

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at HP (previously EDS, then HP Enterprise Services) for 8 years, bear in mind that this is probably different to other parts of HP, which operate pretty independently (despite the management messages that we were one big happy entity). On the plus side, because it is so huge, it's possible to carve a niche and find more interesting work than the pigeon-holed job description everyone has should allow. It can be quite flexible - e.g. working from home, though I hear there are plans to stop this - who knows...?

Cons

Constant cuts (travel & training go first). Awful processes - if you do need to travel it has to be planned (and documented in many words) a couple of weeks in advance and approved by layers of "management", costing far more in person-hours than the travel itself. It always amused me when I had to provide a justification for travel, when it was for the benefit of the company, and on behalf of someone else.
    There are many jobsworths in admin/"management" (which has a different meaning at HP to anywhere else you can think of - they are constantly referring to "leaders" - in the eyes of the people doing the work, "leaders" = those who send lots of useless emails with the latest "initiatives" to "improve this, that and the other" with no proper weight behind them - i.e. noise).
    Constant threat of redundancy (which ultimately made me take VR - I got fed up of it). Redundancies seem to target the techies/PMs doing the real work as well, not the "leaders" in middle-management.
    Poor salary increases, even though I had three consecutive years at the very top performance rating, I received barely 1%/year increase and about the same in bonuses (other years resulted in zero, regardless of rating) - and that was when they were bleating about how they were rewarding good performance.
    Some shoddy behaviour - telling people they must relocate from one end of the country to the other (fine if you're unsettled, but that does not apply to majority) - then when you don't/can't, removing your post and recreating it as a new graduate position in the new location (NB: this is not sour grapes, it did not happen to me..)

Advice to Management

Stop the condescension (with your "leaders" and your over-worked processes for everything from procuring paperclips to buying a £10 train ticket), let people do the thinking - it's what people are good at, and what you supposed pay them to do...

10. Brilliant place to work

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

career growth, good working environment

Cons

not the best pay masters

Advice to Management

higher financial rewards would certainly drive employee retention and high morale

11. Relaxed working enviroment and possibly on the up

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hook, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hook, South East England, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For me having moved through quite a few IT companies (FJ, Capita, MoD etc) HP has one of the more relaxed working enviroments thats I have been in and pay is miles better than you could ever get in Fujitsu for a simular job! HP Grow has some good training courses to go through and free access to a decent IT book website. I think HP are moving in the right way (in the US more than the UK) but sometimes it feels like the UK esp defence is forgotten about!

Cons

Company seems to be letting to many people go through EOW etc while keeping some useless people about. Overstreched employees that are constantly trying to deliver vast projects with a sparse number of resources, threat of being made jobless and constant reminders about EOW arent great either! Getting things approved by finance takes time!

Advice to Management

More training budget and keep your good people!