Hewlett-Packard

9,056 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,465 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance due to flexibility of work schedule but that's about it (in 1156 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done (in 656 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 200 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are (in 317 reviews)

More Highlights

Generall positive, but getting less so

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Telford, England
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Telford, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great, great opportunities

Cons

No salary increases, lack of people to do the work.

Pay your top performers what they are worth!

Experience of Hewlett Packard

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good people, flexibility to move within company

Cons

Long approval/ governance processes,

Communicate better

Sadly one of the worst decisions of my life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some talented people who are happy to help, pay isn't terrible for the amount of real work people do, there are some good corporate benefits, its mostly a 9-5 where you can erase your experience at the end of the day.

Office isn't bad, its had its day don't get me wrong but compared to other offices it still has some redeeming qualities (on-site gym, good catering, bright)

Personally, I still have a lot of respect for HP as a brand but I can't deny that my time here has been one of the most demoralising experiences of my life to date.

Cons

Highly bureaucratic, documents on top of documents, processes over already bloated processes, but with no real sense that these complexities are creating any value for HP or its customers.

Employees can work on projects for years and there be no end result, was the customer happy? Some projects are so insular that employees don't really know who the customer is and what it was they were sold in the first place, therefore no real understanding of where they fit into the value chain.

Career progression is almost non-existent, even for highly talented employees, many of which can double their salary when they inevitably make the move externally.

Attrition rate is unbelievable, there is no incentive for a long term career in the company, which is tragic. Many of the people walking out the door are talented people that under the right circumstances could create tremendous value for HP especially during this critical turnaround period. Almost everyone is following a silent agenda of finding greener pastures outside the company.

Firstly put up your hand and say hello, no one is really sure who you are.

I don't know what the solution is but what I will say is that there are a lot of good people in this company. Get to know them, be bold about developing them, work to get rid of all the unnecessary complexity that is draining moral from employees and profits from HP's accounts.

These days I would struggle to articulate what HP is truly great at any more, I would say the company needs to be aggressive about redefining its purpose. That might mean huge sacrifices but I think this is now unavoidable. We are now a lame racehorse that was once a champion, great change is necessary if we are going to be a phoenix rising from its own ashes.

Everything is over complicated

Former Employee - Remote Worker in Bracknell, England
    Former Employee - Remote Worker in Bracknell, England

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people, some really bright and loyal staff who are good to work with in challenging circumstances. There is the ability to move around within the company and or countries. Bonus scheme and benefits are ok.

Cons

I have worked across two different divisions/companies within HP and they have similar issues. Disconnected Systems and applications, poor infrastructure, seriously over complicated internal processes. No thought given to where redundancies are made just a straight cut rolling out on quarterly basis which kills moral. Higher levels of management seem to change as if they are going through revolving doors, absolutely no money for training, stationary, laptops, printer cartridges etc all such requests denied. Decisions often made on a per customer budget basis rather than taking a higher level view which would enable HP to improve and offer better services to all customers. For a Technology company, I have never seen so many manual processes, I have seen staff hired offshore to do roles that applications can do? Many poor decisions made by people who have no knowledge of the impact to service offering, customer or revenue. Business units operate as individual companies I saw little or no evidence of One HP. It has been an experience but not one I would want to repeat.

Improve infrastructure and internal systems, cut the levels of management, (too many layers), and make intelligent decisions on improving the offerings to customers, decisions that will last long term and grow the business.

Channel Operation Specialist

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Career Opportunities, International interactions, company culture, available tools, strong brand, great colleagues,

Cons

Salary, repetitive tasks, unstable business outlook

Great company to have first job with

Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Options for travel and moving around in the organisation. Possibility for promotion depending on what type of worker you are
    Culture events every quarter to bring the office together various events including food and beer so can't complain. Storage week happens once a year and is a week filled with corporate activities.
    Weekly meetings tracked by local manager to keep all employees on track
    Great people to work with for a first job and great training provided

Cons

Can be a lot of pressure around code drops and meeting dates when things are going to be late handed out. But generally this is dealt with professionally by higher level management.
    Sometimes coming up to a new product there are alot of reviews and meetings that are in a US timezone so means sitting up late at nigh to listen in and get a general idea (maybe only happens 2 times a year)

Bloated Company that only cares for the Share Price

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Swansea, Wales
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Swansea, Wales

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

HP employees don't realise that they are not working in the real world.
    They come and go as they please, management have no control over the workforce, a large number
    are ex civil servants that have been TUPE'd across to what was EDS and now is part of HP.Flexible working hours - Its a nice sunny day and throughout the working day I'm currently sitting in
    an office that holds around 400 people without a single other person here!
    Working from home should be banned and everyone should move back into an office – it seems that
    working from home is the nirvana for some employees – I can only guess why
    Management are remote from the workers (can be good and bad)
    Free parking
    Clean office

Cons

Management are remote from the workers (can be good and bad)
    The company is constantly cutting costs and making people redundant, closing buildings and moving
    the work north to either Erskine (Govt Grants) or to Newcastle. (UK)
    They are currently taking in a large influx of graduates with a plan to make long serving staff
    redundant and moving the grads into these roles, thus saving money.
    The customers are gradually seeing the quality of work getting worse and HP are losing contracts
    Redundancies have been going on for the last 4-5 years throughout the company, creating a drip
    drip effect – staff morale and confidence in the company is at rock bottom. Many have taken
    voluntary redundancy with no job to go to, that’s how bad its got.
    Once your work on a current project dries up its up to you to find another role – if you cant then
    after 30 days on the bench you are threatened with redundancy.

Either make a mass cull of staff or stop making redundancies every quarter due to a slip in the share
    price.
    Get every employee to back into the offices and working core hours – too many employees
    screwing the company for all it can.
    HP employees are worn down by the constant uncertainty and spend most of their working lives
    discussing redundancy and the future (or lack of) with HP

Good opportunities to move about both company and country wise. Good training.Benefits continually cutback since 1999.

Current Employee - Presales Technical Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Presales Technical Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good training opportunities but you need to be motivated to drive you own training plan. Many opportunities within the giant organisation to change careers at the company's expense. Easy to climb the corporate ladder should you so desire.

Cons

Inconsistent management styles. People management skills never considered when hiring management. As it's a global company certain roles can dictate long hours dealing with Americas, EMEA and APJ working across the timezones. The 37.5 hour work week is a thing of fiction...if you want to actually get something delivered.

See cons and improve benefits...money often helps!
    They talk a good talk about worklife balance but the reality is far from this.

Worst year of my career

Former Employee - Executive Assistant
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I got an inside view on corporate life

Cons

Abusive manager, stressful environment, no career opportunities

Having been outsourced to HP for the last 3 years I do the same job as before but with more redtape

Current Employee - Field Technical Support Consultant in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Field Technical Support Consultant in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The HP Name on your CV should help anyone but they cut staff numbers not because the staff work in an area not profitable but because back in the USA they announce a certain percentage to be cut so divide that across the business units so staff are cut where they are needed, not a customer oriented company but rather a share price and investor oriented company

Cons

the challenges are getting to the right department when you need to - constantly round in circles and no accountability, very shoddy in their treatment of soon to be redundant staff and unions

consistency would be great and why are there so many upper management job changes