Hilton Worldwide

Updated 16 December 2014
3.5

Hilton Worldwide President and CEO Christopher Nassetta
Christopher Nassetta

Pros
  • Team member travel program is a huge plus (in 28 reviews)

• Good benefits, the Team Member Travel program is alright when you can get it to work (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • They do not care about work life balance but give it all talk as if they do care (in 31 reviews)

• long hours and advancement can take time depending on the management company (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

The best hotel I have ever work in

Current Employee - Shift Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Shift Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The training for the staff is excellent. The staff are well train and polite to the guest as it shall be with all the other hotels

Cons

At first maintaining the excellent services to the guest. To be focus at all time. Have good eyes to details

Very poor especially when compared to other similar employers

Former Employee - Conference and Events Sales Executive in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Former Employee - Conference and Events Sales Executive in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for a well known brand looks great on the CV, benefits and the people were great, however the benefits could be difficult to access.

Cons

Lack of support, high expectations and lack of communication from senior management when there are problems. Size of a very inexperienced team halved then they wondered why standards slipped after offering little - no support, then making a fairly junior member of staff responsible for it all without supporting her in improving. Working so many hours on such a poor salary meant that by going over salaried wage (40 hours) by just 5 hours a week dropped salary below minimum wage threshold - 50 hour weeks were not unusual. Agreed lieu time was then difficult to redeem due to workload.

More consistency across the brand - having worked for 2 Hilton brands and having polar opposite experiences shows a lot.

Low pay

Former Employee - Receptionist (Front Desk) in London, England
    Former Employee - Receptionist (Front Desk) in London, England

I worked at Hilton Worldwide (more than an year)

Pros

Great colleagues. Staff discounts for hotels. Free food for lunch. Appreciation for doing a good job. Good training.

Cons

Low pay. Poor food in staff canteens. Only get 30 minute break in 8 hour shift. Never leave on time but not paid for overtime. Always understaffed. Unsociable hours. Staff discounts are mostly hard to get a hold of.

Stop trying to cut costs everywhere! Hire enough people to be able to provide this excellent service you so badly want to achieve.

Customer Care Advisor role in Glasgow, Scotland later on outsourced and moved to Bulgaria

Former Employee - Customer Care Avisor in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Customer Care Avisor in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

staff rate for hotel stays

Cons

Staff notoriously underpaid even though they are highly educated, dedicated and multilingual. No appreciation from Management of the nature of the demanding tasks and challenging situations that Agents were faced with. Managers first out the door at the end of the shift even tough staff was still answering calls.

Managers should lead by example and motivate.

Great place to work for

Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training opportunities, lot of courses and training sessions
    Excellent benefit packages, staff rates, etc

Cons

Not very sociable hours of work (just like any other hotel)

Great global company with fantastic brands

Former Employee - Vice President in London, England
    Former Employee - Vice President in London, England

I worked at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting, international environment with good team and strong corporate culture. Pretty good salary and very good additional benefits including bonus, LTIP, healthcare & pension.

Cons

Quite political (as with any large firm) and somewhat US-centric focus given the concentration of hotels in that market.

There is no hospitality like understanding

Current Employee - Executive Sous Chef in London, England
    Current Employee - Executive Sous Chef in London, England

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Let me take this opportunity to tell you how grateful I am to be working with Hilton What makes a workplace feel like home? It’s a place that brings out your best, every day. Because it makes you want to be better, every day. It’s a place where your strengths are appreciated. Where people welcome you as you are. And applaud you for where you’re going. It not only provides you with 'WEAR AND GEAR' to do the job. It also provides you the knowledge, support and training through HWWU. Discover the power of belonging. At Hilton, we feel it every day. It comes from being recognized. It comes from knowing Hilton sees talent in each of us. And, it comes from working together, as a family, to make our guests feel as much at home as we do.

Cons

The wages a way to lower than market.

make HWWU more practical then just browsing through slides

excelent

Current Employee - Chef De Partie in Gatwick, England
    Current Employee - Chef De Partie in Gatwick, England

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is our second Home.

Cons

Make the guest happy and satisfied for staying here.

Me and my husband work in the same department but we work in different shift, he works 6-2 and I work 3-11. We don't have time to talk, we only got time when we request for the same days off but very seldom that we get that. We have 4 kids at home and to get the same day off is very important for us. We hope that in this case we don't need to ask our HOD because we need sometime for the kids. Hope you understand.

Lots of commendation, easy to be categorized on potential based on one persons opinion

Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity, recruit from inside, give lots of learning opportunities too.

Cons

Pay is not something you will ever be happy with, performance reviews you are placed into one of nine boxes based on performance and potential, easy to be placed in low which is totally un-motivating.
    39 hour working week which you will never ever do - salaried employees are not able to claim overtime or time off in lieu.

- Please do away with the 9 box review
    - If one week I want to work 39 hours I should be able to ask for this and not be told no

Reason to wake up

Current Employee - Guest Services in London, England
    Current Employee - Guest Services in London, England

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great managers,no tension between the staff. Nice,fun and professional atmosphere to work at. Couldn't wait until the next shift. Managers could do all type of jobs if necessary, even cleaning tables and spending time to recycle the rubbish ,creating more or less flat structure of the company.

Cons

As a new busy hotel there is not enough staff to cope with the demand, so had to work double. Overall couldn't find any more disadvantages