Hitachi Consulting

Hitachi Consulting Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr

Philip R. Parr

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is good but although depends on the project"
    in 36 reviews
  • "The People are great; I work with really competent professionals"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "But perhaps better work life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Senior Management is out of touch with reality"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood people, Great learning opportunities.

ConsNothing comes to mind. But perhaps better work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

The Acquisition Growth Model .....

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHitachi HQ passionately believes in building a services company - and is backing the passion with Big Dollars that have funded multiple acquisitions. Acquired companies are fast growing, innovate businesses - fun places to work that are staffed with bright and very motivated individuals. Post Integration things tend to change ....

ConsThe culture is slow, risk adverse and positively discourages innovation. The business (mistakenly) seems to mistake acquisition for innovation. Companies acquired by Hitachi rapidly lose their edge and culture post as they are assimilated into Hitachi Consulting Way. Phrases such as 'leverage model' and 'utilisation model' are key - which seems to mean billing junior people, at high rates for long periods of time. This drives burnout and in turn attrition all of which stimies growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a vision that extends beyond 'We want to be big and make lots of money' - this is not the kind of vision that you can build a strategy around. Be comfortable with what you are - you are not Accenture, IBM or Deloitte. Adopt a model for the future not the past.

A bit cottage industry... ok if you like cottages....

Manager (Current Employee)
Manchester, England

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDynamic, flexible to both Client and Internal customers.
Good work/life balance.
Great office locations to work from.
Lot's of opportunities to making a difference, establishing processes in a maturing company.

ConsSome reluctance at operational levels to formalise and think big.
Poor benefits.
Immature HR and Employee Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementClarify your strategy and involve you staff in it.

No direction. Making the same mistakes again and again.

Manager (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than a year

ProsSome good technical people who really get stuck in during troublesome times.
Fairly flexible working conditions.

ConsNo overall direction. Project scope creep without change control on many projects. Internal systems (IT) appauling. No real interaction between company divisions unless necessary causing project transition issues and headaches for all involved. Questionable quality of some offshore resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out what you want to be. You're nowhere near being an IBM or Accenture.
People close to burn out on difficult projects, so fix the repeat issues and make it better for new projects.

Hitachi Consulting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hitachi Consulting

ProsBenefit of a fairly well known brand name and financially stable and some good skills in niche areas especially in respect of Information technology space

ConsNo real strategy or direction, poor leadership, services are not particularly differentiated in any way and very much a tier two player

OK, great london office.

Associate (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Hitachi Consulting as a contractor for more than a year

ProsBig opportunity for career progression if you are good and on the right project.
Some good people.

ConsNot much knowledge sharing, but this is something that can be improved.
But you have the chance to change things, try not to be a bystander.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to win more gigs in central london.

Good

Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than a year

ProsGood track record. Good peers!!

ConsInconsistent growth opportunities
Some people grow effortlessly and for some its always another stage...

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate opportunities for people to grow....

A great place to work and grow

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHitachi Consulting is a great place to work and grow your career. With backing of $100 billion Hitachi Ltd. and aggressive growth plans; the global leadership team is working on growth agenda which has people development at its core. The work environment is fair, cohesive and opportunities are in abundance.

ConsLike any growing business at times challenges but leadership team is fully committed and taking responsibility

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on growth and people development agenda

Career limiting

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI joined working for Edenbrook where I was working with some very smart people and learnt a lot. I learnt many new skills on the job. Edenbrook was a fairly small company so I felt very connected with everyone. We used to have a drink after work a lot and participate in other fun outside work activities otherwise known as an offsite within Microsoft.

ConsWhen the Hitachi Consulting acquisition took place the whole place changed. Since the day Hitachi acquired Edenbrook, I never went on a offsite again. The training stopped also. With this many of the smart people I was used to working with, left Hitachi for other organizations, some decided to go contracting. This is when the churn began, the constant recruitment process.

If you are thinking about joining this company, I recommend you read all reviews here and make your own mind up.

There was also a massive disconnect between me and my manager. We never had regular 1:1's. Even review time was not done by my manager!

I had 0 flexibility, always being forced to drive 3hrs to a customers site when I could have worked from home quite easily enough.

I felt my career was going nowhere, I couldn't work on the projects I wanted, undertake training I needed or desired for my own personal career agenda (that was mapped to the future success of Hitachi).

Hitachi thinks they are on the same level as Accenture, IBM, HP and Microsoft. It is true they sometimes compete against those companies, but most times at a loss then the consultants onsite are expected to work all hours of the night to deliver it.

I was on one project (this particular project was known to everyone in the company due it being a complete failure) and I as were my colleagues often working every night until 7-8pm. Sometimes well into the night if a release into system test was due for the customer the next day.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you need to start over again. Look at all internal processes, training budgets, offshore arm etc

Good company, but going through lots of change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hitachi Consulting

ProsLots of oppertunity to work with different technologies and use different skill sets. Management and colleagues are very supportive.

ConsIt's a consulting firm, so travelling is a largte part of the job, and sometimes work/life balance suffers.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember you are a people business. Provide strong but empathetic leadership. Concentrate on providing thought leadership, make sure its visible outside by supporting MVP's etc...

Worked for Hitachi Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hitachi Consulting reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Hitachi Consulting CEO Philip R. Parr. All 326 reviews are posted anonymously by Hitachi Consulting employees.