Hobby Lobby Reviews

Updated 24 October 2014
2.7

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • The fact that the store closes at 8PM nightly and is closed on Sundays is a big deal (in 68 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • the only way to make more money within the company is to become full time (in 48 reviews)

• As a part-time worker you have very little say in when or how much you want to work (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to shop and to work; The pay is on par for what they expect.

Current Employee - Department Head in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Department Head in Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First thing, if you want to know a lot about the history/plan of The Hobby Lobby, the book by Mr. Green is very informative and also transparent, which all Christians are called to be. The company has a very rigid structure and VERY demanding work ethic, but make no mistake, that's what WORK is. They perform mass hires at a store opening, and experience matters. But an opening is very tough work, and if you show up to work you will be rewarded. A majority of people start at part time, then are rewarded full time based on effort. There is a reason for this, because they weed out all the people looking for a free ride, and if you are one of them, you won't be there long. The pay is amazing for part time retail, it is now up to 10.00 hr, and full time starts at 15.00 hr. No one else pays that, due to the company having a very smart and efficient retail process that I have never seen before, so they believe in putting it back into their employees. The benefits are as good as anywhere else, and there is personal time and vacation time to be made.

Cons

Sadly, part timers are at the mercy of schedule, used wherever management sees fit, but if you can stand it and have an open availability you will be rewarded. The only other negative to part time is no accrued vacation time OR sick time, and they do not offer benefits of any kind to part timers. They are very much a seasonal store and the merchandise rotates very quickly, some items never to be seen again. The problem is it can be very difficult to learn what items go where.
      As far as full timers go, in the months of September-December, you will be extremely busy and will work long hours due to the tremendous sales that happen. Christmas trees get shipped in around July! Most of the management teams will expect you to work longer without much notice, and as far as the term of work/family life goes, you wont have as much family time during the Christmas season as you would like. They very much expect the best from you and to be very committed. It can be very difficult to move up in the company if you are not willing to relocate, as the turnover rate is high and stores are always opening.

Any company is only as good as it's employees. While a majority of people you will find are honest and have integrity, there is in every company a few people that will have their own interests in mind and strive for that instead of the good of the group. I have seen managers come and go in the 3 years with the company AND store. I have heard that one RVP or higher employee say "Managers should be treating employees as if they were their personal congregation" Great words from someone with the right mind frame, sadly not all managers will do this. My advice to managers, is that YOU are just as responsible to your employees as we are to you, the golden rule applies. In the end, you will get out of your employees what you are willing to put into them.

Pleasant place to work

Current Employee - Receiver in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Receiver in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The morning schedule is great .

Cons

Management is a piece of crap

Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Avondale, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Avondale, AZ (US)

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hobby Lobby is a great company to work for. You rarely ever have to work on a Sunday (store closed on Sundays and only have to work if there's a big project or inventory purposes) because the CEO of the company wants to give his employees the day off to spend it with family. They have been giving raises every year ($1 raise) for the last couple of years.

Cons

When I was working there, there was a lot of favoritism with the manager and certain employees which usually meant that the managers favorites, for the most part, did very little work and the rest of us had to pick up the slack.

Hobby Lobby is the best retail company that I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Department Head in Greenville, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Department Head in Greenville, SC (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is the best I have ever found in retail, with raises occurring yearly. The customers are great and there is a generally positive morale in the store on most days. The work is fun if you enjoy working with new products and get to help customers with all their arts and crafts projects. If you are a creative person, it is lots of fun! Sunday's off and every other Saturday off. Hours are not long, 9am to 8pm.

Cons

Truck day: We have to unload and un-box new items. The work itself is not bad, but it is uncomfortable getting hot, sweaty and dirty and having to help customers in that condition. It would be great if truck day could be done when store is closed.
    Management could be much better. They tend to play favorites in the store I work at (although that may not be the case in every Hobby Lobby). I've seen several very well qualified, dedicated employees with strong work ethic, integrity and excellent customer service and teamwork skills being overlooked for promotions for less qualified individuals. Management has also made promises and got the hopes up of several individuals, leading them to believe they were a shoe in for a promotion, only to let them know later that it was given to someone else.

Just because someone is in a management position does not always mean that they are right. While it is understood that you should support your managers, it is not right to support them when they are wrong and to punish the employee that was a victim of the managers wrong doing. Playing favorites is unfair, and there are some in management positions currently that do not support their team players, talk about them behind their backs, talk about them to customers and blame many of their mistakes on their employees. One specific dept. manager slanders condescends and undermines her employees yet is surprised that no one is enthusiastic about supporting her. Yet store management either ignores it or is unaware that it happens and the blame goes to the employees working for her as though they are the ones causing the issues. No one that works for this specific manager likes working for her, of the 4 that work for her, 3 are looking for other employment. Others that work in the store would like to work in her dept but have stated they have no interest as long as she is the manager of said department.

Working for Hobby Lobby full time for over eight years and love it.

Current Employee - Department Head in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Department Head in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work for and wonderful co-workers to work with. Being closed on Sunday is nice. Hobby Lobby attracts a lot of nice customers who have made my job very rewarding. Several managers have come and gone, but the two we have at our store now are amazing.

Cons

Customers complain about our cashiers not being able to scan items. I feel we need to upgrade and use scanners to make things easier for all of us. District managers seem to micro-manage a little too much. Some of our policies are a little behind the times.

Upper management should be more willing to talk with the employees about what is going on, not just the managers. Sometimes the employees have good ideas and comments that never get heard.

Easy going place to work

Current Employee - Department Manager in Charleston, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Charleston, SC (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and excellent place to work if you want to fit labor and decision making without overloading the two. Not labor intensive as other jobs like working in a factor, grocery store, hardware store or anyplace requiring heavy stock to put on shelves at a low price. They are good at giving detailed instructions on how things should be displayed but also give you the freedom to merchandize a lot of the product, which can be fun and challenging. There is a lot of satisfaction in making a display or merchandising product, in result, a customer buys because they thought it looked good.

Cons

First job with Health Insurance and Benefits but everyone tells me that their plan is not the greatest. Worked for a couple of stores and have ran into a couple of interesting and exciting co-workers but as a whole, employee based, it is not that interesting. This is coming from a person who use to work in the restaurant industry in the downtown area.

Every Manager i have had the privilege to work with, from the co-manager all the way up to the reginal manager, has done a great job in my book. My advise would to be to keep up the good work.

Great first job!

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Closes around 8
    Not open on Sundays
    Pay is great!
    Get off early on Labor Day, New Years Eve/ Day, Memorial day and Fourth of July

Cons

Customer
    No scanning system everything is manual

New employee at a Hobby Lobby that just recently opened

Current Employee - Cashier in Maplewood, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Maplewood, MN (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay & benifets, closed Sundays, work only every other Saturday

Cons

Unpredictable schedule. they can put You down for 12 hours one day and the next for 6 hours. 12 hours is a very long time to be on your feet in one day....Management has a way of talking down to you like your ten years old. Asking management a question, you will get a snotty answer back from them & they will make you feel stupid for even asking..... while setting up the store, co managers worked very hard with the temp help, while regional managers & higher ups just ran around the store yelling and telling you to work faster & faster when they havent done one thing to help set up in any way... super unorganized, while setting up the store and putting products on shelves one manager would tell you one way to do it right just to have anither manager come in and tell you its wrong once your finished just to redo the entire aisle over again.... Cashiering: you are not scanning items through... you litterally have to manually enter each item and know what items are on sale & at what percentage.... really slow process & upsets customers who are in a hurry.

Be nice and don't talk down to employees. We are supposed to feel comfortable around you & asking questions, not stupid....

A great company to work for.

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company values, ever other weekend off, never have to work a Sunday. Great bonus structure and they are fairly reasonable to attain.

Cons

Midland area has challenging employee retention issues, Fall and Christmas can be extremely challenging and you will often receive two full semi trucks on the same day.

Good pay for the work, zero flexibility

Former Employee - Department Head/Cashier
    Former Employee - Department Head/Cashier

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're going to work a retail job, this is the place to do it. Starting pay is $10, which is more than fair. It's also a pretty pleasant atmosphere overall and the other employees were great to work with.

Cons

As a part-time worker you have very little say in when or how much you want to work. I was told a million times not to go over my scheduled 25 hours a week, yet I constantly ended up working more like 35-40. So essentially they were working me to the brink of being a full-time employee MINUS any benefits that FT employees get. I took the job for the pay and presumed flexibility, but I often would be stuck there til 9 or 10 on a Friday, having gone WAY over my hours already, and they would try to guilt me into staying even later.

Also, the POS is INFURIATING. For such a popular and successful store, you'd think they could update their cash registers and have a barcode system. But nope, you have to manually key in every single teeny tiny item. And if it's not price marked, forget about it. Just make something up, because it'll take 10 minutes to get someone to do a price check for you. All the while the lines are backing up and other customers are getting frustrated.

The return process is also a complete nightmare. I've never heard of a store that requires a manager's approval to do a return or exchange for every single item, even something that costs less than $1. This also results in extremely frustrated customers.

Push for updated POS and have some respect for your employees' time. Not everyone's lives revolve around Hobby Lobby.

Hobby Lobby Photos

Homecoming Reset in Floral Dept.
Entrance to the Hobby Lobby located in Foothills Ranch, CA
Furniture/Floral Display
Homecoming Reset in Floral Dept.

+ Add Photo