Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green

David Green

Pros
  • Disappointed to say that the only "pro" that comes to mind is that HL is closed on Sundays (in 56 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Built and opened a new store with over 60 people with the expectation of being hired full-time (in 42 reviews)

• When I was there, being part-time wasn't an issue, which has since changed (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Department Head

Department Head (Current Employee) Liverpool, NY (US)

ProsIt's great having Sunday's off and they pay well for the job. There is room to move up within a store setting and regional setting if there is development in the area. It is a fast paced environment which is great if that is something you enjoy.

ConsThe store manager treats the employees very poorly. Multiple people have complained to HR about these issues over the past 5 years and nothing has ever been done. Despite corporate claims that "they care about their employees" what they actually care about is the bottom line, and the bottom line only.

Good as a transition job for students

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsClosed on Sundays, and major holidays.

ConsOutdated registers, and have to ware uniforms.

Advice to Senior ManagementHad a wonderful management team

A part time job with values

Cashier (Former Employee) Carrollton, TX (US)

ProsGet to work for pretty good wages, especially for a retail store.
    Good hours, can be flexible.

ConsWhile the head of the company is indeed Biblical as they claim, some managers just do their own thing. I had one manager that would keep us until nearly ten each night, then after he left we had one that kept us only as needed (generally nine at the latest) and we were all a lot happier and more unified with the second.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet all the managers on the same page.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An Alright Place to Work

Cashier (Former Employee) Huntington Beach, CA (US)

ProsI did enjoy my time here, and it was certainly a better place to work than Michaels. It has a good starting wage at $10 an hour, and the management and other employees were nice and easy to work with. The store was very clean and well organized and there was almost always a place for any product, which made it fairly to put most things away. There is also a variety of things to do and as a cashier you don't always find yourself stuck at the register, and will sometimes be sent to the back to complete various assigned projects, like taking back unwanted merchandise, stocking the shelves, opening and sorting home accent or holiday boxes, setting up displays, or cleaning/organizing the store. Very easy to find your way around the store once you get used to the orientation, and the other employees are always willing to help if you are having trouble figuring out where a product is. They do give long work hours, so that you won't always be going to work and only work for 4 hours or less (that was a problem at Michaels for me), and it is nice to have Sundays off so that you can go to church or relax.

ConsTo begin with, the head of the company didn't believe in scanners and wanted the cashiers to know the products of the store, so all of the prices had to be hand-keyed into the cash register which set up more opportunities to make mistakes, and also caused it to take longer to ring people up (especially when they have a lot of product). Because you have to hand key in the prices, this also means that you have to memorize the sale ad for that week and it can be confusing to distinguish what was on sale the previous week, vs. what is currently on sale. After a while, you'll notice a pattern (at least in home accents which alternates every other week), but it can be especially confusing with some of the other departments. At the store we worked at, we also didn't have any walkie-talkies, so the only way to communicate with other employees was through the scattered phone stations throughout the store. This means that it could take a while sometimes to get answers to questions, especially when the employee had to run back and forth from the shelves to the phone station or front of the store in case they needed to see what you had a question about. Often don't have time to complete the projects you have been assigned, but at least it isn't boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if we were able to have access to some better, and quick way to to communicate with employees so that it won't take so long to get answers, which tends to slow down the lines and make customers impatient.

Love Hobby Lobby!!

Office Manager/Cards and Party Lead (Current Employee) Hagerstown, MD (US)

ProsGreat environment, great co-workers, excellent management, fast paced environment, excellent pay and benefits, becAuse the hiring process is very selective, only the best will be offered full time. This company is great I am so thankful they came to my area!

ConsCould take more than a year to get full time status. Relays are very demanding, sometimes the store doesn't have enough people to deal with the demand. constantly moving and condensing seasonal (but thats retail right?)

Only Christian and family based until it affects the bottom line. Successfully fooled most of the purchasing public.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsClosed Sundays..( this doesn't mean we don't work Sundays).

ConsUnderstaffed, many poorly designed systems from freight processing to accounting, low salaries comparatively, no work life balance, Biggest opportunity is no true perception by owners of life at store level. Many managers very dissatisfied with expectations and having to work Sundays and 70 to 80 hours per week to stay on top of projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture and atmosphere has greatly declined in my time with the company. I have spoken to SMs around the country in the last few months only to find it is the same everywhere. Consider a feedback system for improvement ideas or a position that monitors all Project and Action memos along with Relays and freight levels being sent to the stores with the completion expectation times being nearly unattainable without working massive amounts of hours to include Sundays.

Disappointing

Cashier (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsCo-Workers, Flexible Scheduling, great job for students

ConsThey limit their part time employees and hours become scarce once holiday time is gone. Hard to get full time positions. Advancements teeters on upper managements precocious attitudes towards valuable employees with great skills and much to offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour testing regime to become a part of management needs to be revamped. It's hard to believe that one must past a test verbatim to become a CSM. Customer service or lack there of needs to be the focus and that has gone to the wayside. Less attention to taking weekly test about sales ads and more attention on how to treat you most important asset, your customer. Cashiers to busy learning about five and diming and less about the art of service and not losing the human touch! You lose great employees because of your archaic methods.

Retail is retail

Stockman (Current Employee)

ProsGuaranteed Sundays off. Full time benefits include:
    PPTO
    Paid vacations
    Holiday pay
    Generous Christmas bonus

ConsNo barcode scanners. Everything is manual on the registers.

i never imagined i would work at such a great company!

Buyer (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

Prosthis company gave me a chance when others would not. They have given me raises and bonuses every year that are a lot more than national average and, i didnt even know i got a bonus!
    i was able to move up from data entry to a buyers position without college experiance. (i was interviewed and they judged me for what kind of person i am and, gave me the job).
    when my kids are sick, they tell me to go home and take care of them and, i am still getting paid because , im salary.

Consbecause this is a large company there are issues with comunication between dept's within the company.
    they may do something that effects your job and not think to tell you about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep managing this company with the same goals and, leading by example. Remember to Listen to employees ideas and consider changes that could make your dept and, the company a better place to work.

If you have to work retail, work here!

Department Head (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay, Sundays off, generous vacation/sick time, yearly bonuses, good insurance coverage, and no crazy hours during the holidays.

ConsNot much room for advancement, still using old-school technology, putting out Christmas in June, the occasional nasty customer, and you are constantly covered in glitter.

Advice to Senior ManagementTechnology needs to be advanced, and merchandise programs should be changed by region (i.e. cowboy decor really doe not sell in the midwest)

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!