Holiday Retirement

Updated 30 January 2015
1.9

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 57 reviews)

• Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Welcome to Hell

Current Employee - Community Manager in Tallahassee, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Tallahassee, FL (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One day God will take me and my days as a manager will be over.
    Seniors I've met are pretty Cool.

Cons

$3.77 a day per resident for food, REALLY!!!
    30 sales calls a day.
    4 tours a day.
    serving and busing every week.
    E calls all week.
    Poop in the elevator.
    3 conference calls a day while the dip s--t regional is on his boat.
    55+ hours a week. BTW that means we make below min wage.
    lovely free apartment with roaches included.
    The worst thing is living with the guilt of moving these lovely seniors in knowing they will receive large rent increases and the company will kick them to the curb as soon as they are running low on money.

Go to church.

Unorganized chaos with constant negativity 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Former Employee - Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

slightly below average pay, ability to travel, you get to meet some great seniors and hear some amazing stories from their lives.

Cons

Zero time off with 7 day work week and don't even think about asking for time off at the end of the month.
    illogical, irrational pricing
    horrible, non caring, unethical, management at nearly every level
    Useless HR department
    Resident well being is the last priority of this company

Resign!

Manager with a Resident Mom

Current Employee - Floating Manager
    Current Employee - Floating Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As co manager & floating manager in about 30 Holiday units over a 15 year period, I am proud to say Holiday has been very good to us. We have full benefits, no traffic jams, are well fed and housed with wonderful staff & residents wherever we go, even on vacation in our units across the US. When mom became a resident, I learned the family and resident side of the story, and must say mom has thrived. Health, social life, and financially, Holiday has bent over backwards to make her life comfortable. She says "I never dreamed I could be living this well at 96." Most of our residents are quite happy and thankful.

Cons

Management teams who micro manage and don't follow the Holiday guidelines. Some residents are very needy & management is so pressured to rent apartments, many come needing more care than we are legally allowed to give them. Need to clarify those concerns when doing discovery.

Too many power struggles between managers & co-managers. Need smart pairing of management teams. Peace & joy in the building is the main goal and management must get along better....maybe people skill classes..
    Quarterly mandatory training for servers who work weekends & evenings would maximize efficiency and avoid unfinished tasks & working past end of shift.

Do not apply

Current Employee - Community Manager in Hilton Head Island, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Hilton Head Island, SC (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most of the seniors are wonderful

Cons

Corporate management is extremely misguided

In the beginning it was tough, The company operates differently than most companies.

Current Employee - C0-Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - C0-Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

First and foremost the residents make it all worth the commitment it takes for this job. The pay is very reasonable especially if your bonuses are great. The perks are great. On-site Managers only pay for their cell phone if they live on-site. On-site managers do not pay for housing, cable, utilities or food. It is hard honest work. You do earn all that you get but if you want to be able to sock away some money this is the way to go.

Cons

Manager's are only teams and both managers must stay on-site after office hours. Be prepared to work long hours.

Only one of the team should stay on-site like the floaters. This would eliminate some of the anxiety of not being able to leave and make it more comfortable for the on-call team. More managers would stay with the company.

Absolutely NO Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ever changing bonus plan can be lucrative. They do pay a bonus every month if you have at least two move ins. They do reimburse your expenses within two weeks.

Cons

Only three days off per month with your family, if you're lucky. They don't care about you, just move ins. That's very clear. No trust in employees. They could write a book on micro-managament. Minimum of three conference calls each day. One first thing in the morning to tell them what you'll be doing, one at lunch to tell them your progress for the day, then another at 4:30 to tell them what your're going to to do the following day.

Require that your sales staff be in the building during peak selling times. That's Monday through Friday. If you give us flexibility, we'll come in on Saturday's when a hot prospect is available. Sitting in the building making phone calls and hoping for a walk-in is a poor use of time. Just look at the data for walk-ins and new leads. The majority do not come in on Saturday and Sunday. Stop managing all the communities as if they are in a major metropolitan market. Some are not. Shift resources to the communities that have low lead generation. The communities with the highest census have the highest marketing budget. Where is the logic there.

I wish I had a better first job experience.

Former Employee - Server in Newberg, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Server in Newberg, OR (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Server position hours are great for a student. The bonds and relationships you are able to create with the residents are priceless.

Cons

Bad management. Constantly firing (or people quitting) and hiring people. Too many employees for shift requirements so getting a lot of shifts is impossible. Too high of job expectations in the given shift time. Poor training. Pretty terrible working environment.

You need to cut back on the amount of servers you have so everyone can get a good amount of shifts. You can't just solve all problems by firing people. The expectations on time are unrealistic. Unless you have a certain time that the residents must be out of the dining room, servers can't control how long it takes to do certain tasks. Also, if you want your servers to be time efficient they need better training.

Upper management Demeaning,Disrespectful,Micromanagers,Unethical business, Excellent staff leave,Discourages teamwork

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Loved working with the seniors . Loved working with my Co workers. Could not perform my duties as I was told to close the door and telemarket entire day.

Cons

Regional Director is a Bully and drove an entire region of staff to leave. Harassment, Bullying, Daily & Micro Managing competent staff. Managers required to telemarket entire day &report stats hourly neglecting seniors . Unethical business practises. Moving seniors in against the families wishes who required higher care.

Deal with and take seriously bully regional directors that harass & micro manage managers & sales staff. An entire region of sales & management staff have quit due to these techniques. Seniors are not promoting the community due to neglect of their needs & by having instability amongst the overly high turnover. Seniors and staff are not happy and are Not telling others about Holiday except to Stay away!

If I could rate it 0 stars, I would.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The residents. I grew to care for them, and they me.

Cons

Low pay, high expectations, no communication with upper management. You are on your own

Start from scratch. You need a new business model.

they took my dream and turned it into a nightmare

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than a year)

Pros

you sure can save a lot of money, no time to save it

Cons

My typical workday seemed custom-built to destroy individual focus. A ceaseless tide of meetings and internal emails means an increasingly scramble to get real work done on the margins, early in the morning or late in the evening.

Four months. That’s how long it took for my passion and excitement to fade into anxiety and panic. While it was true that I didn’t know exactly what to expect in my new role, four months just seems too short of a honeymoon. Yesterday’s opportunity of a lifetime is no longer worth the sacrifice today.
    When hired I wrongly assumed that I was hired because I was excellent fisherman, only to discover that I was expected to spend a great deal of my time cutting bait and cleaning fish.
    Understanding, there is an unlimited number of fish that need to be cleaned, I quickly became overwhelmed at the thought that some of my co-workers are spending more time fishing, and not doing their fair share of the bait cutting and fish-cleaning responsibilities. I am convinced that there are endless piles of useless uncleansed fish piling up.
    In my few short weeks with Holiday Retirement I have come to the conclusion that groupthink-like behavior is prevalent within the organization.
    One example for this harsh statement:
    Conference calls have to be one of the least efficient and most painful ways for people in any organizations to communicate.
    My observations as why conference calls fail are simply these:
    1: Failure to establish clear etiquette at the beginning of the conference call.
    a; background noise from cell phones or other sources.
    b; participants talk over each other
    c; trouble tracking who is speaking
    2: Hogging the spotlight
    Believing that as the leader, you have to be the expert, an old-fashioned expert model that simply does not work. Any leader that dominates more than 50 percent of the time talking is hogging the spotlight.
    3: Talking rather than engaging
    Talking at participants goes hand-in-hand with an outdated expert model. It’s just not working, it’s clear to me that the leader is working too hard.

I don’t think anyone person set this up as a conspiracy, however those in leadership positions let it happen, because if you think about it, that’s exactly what’s not supposed to happen. We all make fun of government agencies because they just make up meaningless jobs. They make up jobs, moving things from one side to another. Or the requirement to have three different people to buy a piece of bread, you have to get a ticket from one, you have to go over here to get a number then get in that line to get the slice of bread. My observations are that, we’re making up meaningless office jobs, and these guys are basically paid to act busy all day. A lot of them may really work one or two hours, and the rest of the time they’re downloading stuff from the Internet, or playing around on Facebook or something. But, their job is to sit in an office, and basically valorize the idea that everybody should look busy all the time, that work is valuable in itself.

take a good look at your internal operations

Holiday Retirement Photos