Holiday Retirement

Updated 27 September 2014
1.9

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 26 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals (in 54 reviews)

• The community managers don't seem to want to work as a team; very dictatorial (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Greedy company with NO respect, NO support, and NO trust for their Community Managers.

Former Employee - Community Manager  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working for 80 and 90 year old residents is VERY rewarding. We stayed with the company longer than we should have because of the residents. They trusted and cared for us as much as we did for them. They are indeed the "Greatest Generation". We very much enjoyed working for and interacting with them.

Company pay and benefits were good.

Cons

ALL Managers are treated the same - they are micro-managed to the hilt! 3 sales conference calls per day and 2 daily written sales reports - even if your community is 100% occupied! As a manager of a multimillion dollar building/business, the Managers cannot order anything over $50 without written approval and at times, this level is dropped to zero. Regional Director was very weak, often allowing regional Chefs, and others to run ruff shot. Lots of egos at the regional level. All Holiday (Fortress Investment Group) is interested is how much money they take from senior citizens. 4 - 5.5% rent increases are given to existing residents EVERY year. Market rates for new residents increase 8 - 10% EVERY year. Meanwhile, yearly pay raises for employees average 2%, and increases to resident services (such as food, activities, etc.) increase 0 - 3%. This is a very shameful company preying on our senior citizens. (NOTE: The work week is 50+ hours AND at least 3 on-call nights per week, which we became accustomed to, and were fine with - but could be a negative to others).

There are NO career opportunities for Community Managers. Jobs are not posted, and I've never seen or heard of a Community Manager being promoted to a regional position.

1. Stop GOUGING our senior citizens. Yes, you should be able to make a fair profit, but you should NOT be able to GOUGE your residents. 2. Treat your best Managers with more respect, support and trust - particularly long term managers who keep your communities full and profitable. These managers are the daily face of your company. They sell and service your customers each day. Treat them better! The constant turnover of GOOD Managers costs the company a LOT of money. It is no wonder the turnover rate for Managers at Holiday Retirement is close to 50% per year! Consider making your better Managers - SENIOR Managers - and give them higher spending limits, more leeway, etc. TRUST THEM!

poorly paid managers

Current Employee - Community Manager  in  Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

We love the residents and we both enjoy the work we do

Cons

Very poor leadership with little or no consideration for the managers. managers are not managers they are only classified as managers so that the company can get them to do more work and not pay them for the extra time

treat your managers with respect and give them the consideration that they deserve for the work they do

Not appreciated

Former Employee - Community Manager  in  Nashville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love elderly people and wanted to make a difference

Cons

My wife and I worked as managers for three years. The only time you felt important is when you assisted the CSL in closing a contract. Wore ourselves out for the company which does not seem to care about the residents. Most residents pay large amounts per
    month and I was not permitted to buy steak for the valentine banquet because it was too expensive. Managers and Sales Leaders are terminated whenever they do not maintain a high census and make a huge monthly profit for the company. We finally left the company because the company was using us to PR for them to the residents (residents loved us) while the company was wanting to treat the residents poorly. Advice to prospective residents - find somewhere else to live.

You have forgot who butters the bread and you are now losing so many good managers and sales leaders that the communities are suffering. Stop the greed before it eats you alive.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Leader

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People at the community level. Holiday has some really great and caring people.

Cons

Corporate. Micromanagement is the name of the game. Holiday abandoned it's mission statement and the cornerstones of the company long ago for the all mighty dollar!
    I really love the model that Holiday had in their communities, but they run the risk of losing really great talent with their new company culture. They tie the team up with calls and meetings and unrealistic tour volume and move in expectations but won't look at the big picture.
    They don't value the resident anymore, it's just money. I've seen 3 different CEO's in the short time I've been with Holiday and every change has been worse for the associate and resident. The message now is "do it or you will be held accountable". aka fired
    Regional and corporate need to focus on positive reinforcement and appreciation and value the growth we've had and the team that got them there. Stop being so reactionary and put together a long term strategic plan for continued growth.
    If not, they run the risk of losing all the great talent they have.

Make your employees happy to work for Holiday again. Everyone I know is looking for another job. ... Wake up and smell the unhappiness!

No Holiday Touch

Current Employee - Community Manager  in  Kawaika-A, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Kawaika-A, AZ (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

Residents and Associates are wonderful. I have nothing positive to say about the company or corporate. I wish they were the old Holiday prior to the sale in 2007.

Cons

Regional Director and Corporate have no people skills. They are very uncaring. Regional Director will not visit long at the community and doesn't pour coffee to residents, unlike the old Holiday. The Regional Maintenance has no respect to residents. Says they have to even carpet clean the resident's apartment even if the resident doesn't want it. Just because they live there, it isn't their building (Holiday's new motto). It's the Regional Directors Building. Even though he doesn't own it or writes the checks. P*ss poor and thoughtless is what they are. They even put people into a a mentor training and two weeks of classroom training, even if you were with the company in the past. Waste of resident's money. They have classroom training every two weeks in three different states. Has to be a clue that they constantly go through management. The regional also interviews you by Skype. They don't have the time to interview you in person. They are 100% Sales and Computers. 0% Residents. No communication skills with Corporate.

Go back to the old Holiday Grass Roots. New Holiday garbage sucks to residents and staff.

This company is a serious waste of anyone's time.

Current Employee - Executive Chef  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Chef in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is always on time. Sorry but that's about the best thing of this crappie company. If you are a kindergarten teacher or a child care lover this is the company for you to work with.

Cons

No true support teams. This compay repeatedly tell their residents what ever it is that they want them to hear just to trick them into moving into a community and pay that outrageously high community fee. They love hiring kids/teens its almost like babysitting your enemies children but u cant do much about it because the pay is horrible.

Support your managers or this company will always be a revolving door.

Make up your mind

Former Employee - Regional Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people both seniors and most of the property level teams

Cons

No consistent message to the field. The company does not allow enough time to see if an idea is successful.

You claim you hire good people. Stop micromanaging them. The multi times per day updates are verging on harassment

Holiday reitrement company is unorgainized

Current Employee - Server  in  Arlington, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Server in Arlington, TX (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time for more than a year

Pros

Sense of community, good coworkers

Cons

Managers change often. Poor decisions by former managers

Please try to be more consistent and don't leave after 2 months

Community Sales Leader

Current Employee - Community Sales Leader  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Community Sales Leader in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with Seniors to make a difference in their lives.

Cons

Long Hours, micro managers, company ahead of residents

work a week in our position. Get to know the residents and make upper management accountable instead of putting the community managers out to dry.

Horrible company to work for

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free apt. and free food- thats it. There are NO good things.

Cons

Your complete life is given up. You have no time to travel or to anything or even enjoy the money you make. You are over worked and under paid.Upper management lies to you and to others.. they say whatever to get the sale or employee to do what they want. You think as an employee that what you read about HR is disgruntled employees...then you work for them and you find out it is ALL TRUE and VERY BAD. Horrible company to work for.

Upper management will lie when the truth would be better and people eventually find out what lies they are ... then the company looks even worse.
    Sadly I know you dont care since almost every building makes over a million in profits even after ALL the BILLS ARE PAID.

Holiday Retirement Photos

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!