Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated 27 April 2015
472 reviews filtered by

Company may be satisfactory at senior level management and home office, but not for field managers

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Our parents, our wonderful seniors. The benefits i.e. health insurance, 401k, etc. is good however the cost for these benefits goes up yearly. Working with your spouse.

Cons

As long as the CEO remains to be Ka Hsiaoi this is a company not to work for. The hours are long, the stress level for field managers is high, and the compensation is low. If you enjoy living in a small 600 sq ft outdated apartment, working a minimum of 55 - 60 hours a week, working holidays/weekends, not being able to take vacation time (no coverage), being harassed by your Regional Manager for not getting enough tours/sales booked and closed, having to fill in for absent servers, cooks, dishwashers, housekeepers, and maintenance person then by all means apply. We will look forward to your pro and cons in the near future.

This company still maintains a very high turnover percentage for community managers and co-managers.

Advice to Management

Respect the field force that keeps this company afloat.

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources Manager

I’m sorry that you’ve had this experience with Holiday Retirement, and we take your feedback seriously. We take great pride in the rich lifestyle benefits we provide our community management ... More

I hope my next review is better

Current Employee - Co Manager
    Current Employee - Co Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with great residents and the opportunity to save money. Associates are a pleasure to be around.

Cons

Budgets are too tight and there is still an air of paranoia that permeates the company. Accountability and rewards should be should be shared by all, from RD to dishwasher.

Advice to Management

Follow through with plans to upgrade building budgets and increase food service choices and quality.
    Don't wait for the competition to empty out the communities. Because they will.

Nov 21, 2014Rewards & Recognition Manager

Thank you for your honest feedback. Over the last year Holiday Retirement has gone to great lengths to make our Rewards & Recognition programs more inclusive of all employees. The programs focus on ... More

Dishonorable Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Only be employed at Holiday so you can get another job. Even then question your ethics as this company runs from morals.

Cons

IT is not viewed as a valuable resource. CIO has no concern for her staff only if it makes her look good and she's willing to take credit for your work. I would recommend walking away from any company that view integrity as "when it will benefit me" The company doesn't encrypt patient files. Managers can walk off with patient info with a simple flash drive. Don't put your family member in a holiday owned or represented facility.

Advice to Management

Management would need to compensate employees with better benefits. In addition, changes would need to be made so trust and integrity in a company could be establish.
    Run away! this company is epitome of hell and dishonesty.

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources Manager

Holiday Retirement has an industry leading Information Technology platform that enables us to better serve our seniors and associates. We don’t have patient files at Holiday, but of the records we ... More

5. A business that needs to realign its focus and return to its grassroots values.

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

I love the opportunities to add value to the life of our seniors. To offer comfort, security, and laughter to their daily existence. Even those that seem to be unlovable have the desire to be loved. A recent vision of upper management change of direction was cast upon us to address the underlying deficiencies with the Holiday Retirement Program for growth and success. As long as these areas are addressed, there is hope for correction of issues at the community level.

Cons

There is far to much emphasis on getting seniors to buy into the vision and completely inadequate resources (staffing, staffing wages, finances, etc.) to keep them there. The wages are of the lowest in the industry and the need to micromanage all managers rather than those failing to fulfill the requirements of their position create undue stress and diminishing hope for managers.

Advice to Management

I might shift the percentage of focus to lean towards leadership and the operations side of the industry which will ultimately impact manager retention. Managers are the frontline support of the revenue stream for this company as far as I can see. The stability and longevity of the managers in the communities, I believe will provide the most cost effective source of revenue and support for the investors of Holiday Retirement.
      Raise the lid of leadership with your people and your business will ultimately experience growth.

6. Semi-great place

Former Employee - CNA in Sarasota, FL (US)
    Former Employee - CNA in Sarasota, FL (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy and nice environment, staff seem to get along well and residents are the plus and bonus of every day.

Cons

Management can be a little off putting, I think they expect a certain person, yet hires a totally different type of individual so turnover is really high.

Nov 21, 2014Rewards & Recognition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to give a review. Holiday Retirement cares about your work environment and how you feel about it. We are consistently looking for ways to improve as a whole and all ... More

Awful company-DO NOT answer when the recruiter calls!

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the seniors-changing their lives by living in a community.

Cons

The entire culture, they care about sales, SALES, SALES! Being a sales person, I understand sales means money. but his company will step over it's on residents to make a buck. Worked for there for a short time and the community managers and the sales managers all were negative. They "sell" you a team atmosphere and then will pounce on anyone for a "sale" Too many negatives about this company. It made me sick working there...RUN AWAY FAST!

Advice to Management

Change management styles, change community managers training and how they are paid and scheduled. Create teams that are positive and happy...CHANGE EVERYTHING!

Jan 16, 2015Human Resources Manager

Sales is an important aspect of our business, especially for our Sales Leaders, however it is not meant to overpower our culture.  We have a unique culture that is evolving.  Our cultural evolution ... More

Community Manager

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Living On site, free rent & Utilities, working with the residents on a day to day basis

Cons

Average time for managers is between a few days and year or so. Very high turnover of community mgmt due to micro management and unrealistic expectations.

Co-Manager

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The company had good benefits at the time.

Cons

I did not like the on-site living conditions. Really long hours.

Just...don't

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are coming from a retail environment, the pay will likely be marginally better, as will the hours.

Cons

You will be constantly and consistently under informed, misinformed, or lied to. No one ever seems to know what's coming up next, and no one wants to take responsibility for anything. The company is segmented between sales and operations, but no one seems to concerned that neither can function without the other. An outdated business and marketing model does not help this company, nor does their desire to pinch pennies and prevent communities from spending money to make improvements. The bonus structure is convoluted, but don't worry - it will change every 90 days or so, so it's not as though you have to memorize it. Management spends little to no time in communities, and most of them never worked at lower levels, so they have no concept of what it takes to run a building. Additionally, nearly everyone is misled on expectations for their jobs during the interview process - training is usually a rude awakening for nearly every position when you find out what's ACTUALLY expected of you.

Advice to Management

Spend time - several days consecutively - in a community. Learn what your employees encounter on a day-to-day basis. It seems nearly impossible that it won't change the way you manage them.

Miserable, abusive, tone deaf leadership

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The residents and some of the good people who still work there. Time spent in the communities with community managers, community employees and residents was time well spent. Most of the community managers are genuinely good people who are in it for the right reason; serving seniors.

Cons

Dealing with the majority of those in leadership, particularly those at the corporate office was awful. Corporate leadership was disconnected from the realities on the ground, and was completely focused on revenue. People were not valued, and unethical, abusive management practices were rewarded rather than corrected. I personally heard my department head make demeaning statements about many groups of employees, including our live-in managers. Turnover has always been an enormous problem; one that in my years with the company was never effectively addressed. Managers are over-worked and extremely underpaid (it's a travesty). This place burns through people at a record pace; uses them up and then throws them out like so much trash.

Advice to Management

Change course now or find yourselves heading off yet another lawsuit. It's inevitable.

Holiday Retirement Photos