Hollywood Video

www.hollywoodvideo.com

Hollywood Video Reviews

Updated Jul 03, 2014
Hollywood Video – US – “game day”

Hollywood Video – US – “game day”

Hollywood Video CEO Mark Wattles

Mark Wattles

Pros
  • fun, free movie rentals, great staff, over time, great customers, could play kids movie sometimes at work, free move rentals (in 30 reviews)

• Free movie rentals and discounts, fun place to work (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • No real benefits for people over 20, cruel and anal upper management, low LOW pay (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay with lack of pay raises and lots of demand to push promotions (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Starter Job, Poor High Level Management

Shift Manager (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA (US)

ProsFun environment with a great client base. Provides an excellent opportunity to work around media that you are passionate about and to find others with shared interests and ideas.

ConsPoor compensation and a management structure that focuses too heavily on sales quotas as opposed to client service. Quota structure incentivizes sale of product with lower profit margins defeating purpose of holding sales force accountable for increasing company's bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on Client Service not Salesmanship and Qoutas

Decent Retail Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was very easy. Spent a lot of time reading since we were near a Blockbuster. Got free movies and games each week.

ConsThe pay was not very good, and the management was mediocre at best. We were expected to sell promotions with little to no incentive.

Wasn't bad while it lasted

Store Director (Former Employee) Shoreline, WA (US)

ProsMoved up quickly within the company. From entry level to Store Manager in about 2 years. Flexible schedule, free movie rentals and the ability to watch movies before they come out to the general public. Decent benefits and even offered them to Part-Time employees.

ConsHigh pressure sales, tyrannical leadership. Business model that was not successful for apparent reasons (because the company is not Out Of Business). Never put any serious effort or money into advertising, instead had their Salaried Store Managers out spamming parking lots with flyers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess corporate spending next time. Keep current with technology.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best job I ever had...I miss it every day.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people and the flexibility.

ConsLate hours and the company closed.

Assistant Manager At Game Crazy

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Medford, OR (US)

ProsYou got to play video games all day except when you had to help those pesky customers. New and interesting people come in all the time. Coworkers were awesome.

ConsMeth addicts would bring cans in to try and buy video games. Silly meth addicts. District managers were just the worst. They would come down and tell you to sell more crap customers didn't need, start a huge project to remodel the whole store and then leave in the middle of it leaving you to pick up the pieces of their mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat management? It was run by a bunch of kids trying to manage kids.

Customer Service Representative interview

Customer Service (Former Employee) Westwood, CA (US)

ProsI began my first job here during college and I learned a lot in regards to how to treat customers and what daily tasks to be responsible for. I also began to take on extra duties not originally assigned to me and began to work my way upward using them as leverage for raises.

ConsI was in college at the time, and although I loved working at Hollywood Video I felt that at times since the schedule was a bit on the late side for me, as well as not having a car, I would be getting home at a very late hour and would go to sleep immediately and wake up a bit tired the next day.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel that there could have been many more opportunities for growth and training sessions that could have propelled me faster toward management.

very great place to work

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Brookhaven, PA (US)

Prosthe people that i had worked with and the customers

Consthere really wasnt any if i had to pick the paper work inventory

Advice to Senior Managementas long as your doing ur job and showing inprovement you cna move up the ladder quickly

franchise

Prosfun people, good environment, good regulars

Conslow pay, terrible upper management

Good job for a kid

Shift Leader (Former Employee) Torrance, CA (US)

ProsGet to talk about movies, video games. Not difficult, brainless work.

ConsI felt like the characters in Clerks the movie. Waiting around was okay.

Enjoyed the people I work along side and my store manager, but the Hollywood Corporation ruined their clientele.

Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) Lacey, WA (US)

ProsEnjoy free movies and 20% of concessions and new/previously viewed movies.

ConsCorporation ran the company into the ground. No work/life balance.

Worked for Hollywood Video? Contribute to the Community!