Home Instead Senior Care

Updated 25 November 2014
Updated 25 November 2014
3.3

Roger Baumgart

Pros
  • Great group of people who want to make a difference and help seniors (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible hours that work around your schedule (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Hounded you for shifts even if you couldn't work, low pay, poorly managee (in 17 reviews)

• No benefits back then in 2010 and unreliable caregivers relieving one from a shift (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great team

Current Employee - Recruitment and Retention Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment and Retention Manager in London, England

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work with the best people I could ever want and everyone is very friendly I am paid a decent wage and get 28 days paid vacation..I enjoy assisting and talking with our clients and no job is to big for my branch. 99% of our caregivers are happy also..

Cons

No cons for me I like everytrhing about working here..

Keep up the good work!!

Great place to intern or start your career.

Former Employee - Recruitment & Retention Coordinator in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Self-fulfillment from assisting the elderly and hiring those who care for them everyday.
    Help people everyday.
    Train employees on proper senior care.
    Great co-workers.

Cons

There is not a whole lot of room for growth here. Pay salary increase is not competitive to other opportunities for a young professional.

Offer better benefits.

I currently work here

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office environment
    Work closely with others

Cons

No room to grow, little benefits

Assist Elderly With Everyday Life.

Current Employee - Caregiver in Crossville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Crossville, TN (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working With This Company, Allows Me Feel What I Do Day To Day Is Important.

Cons

My Weekly Hours Are Low.

Home care for Seniors

Current Employee - CNA in Kennesaw, GA (US)
    Current Employee - CNA in Kennesaw, GA (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The client is in their familiar surroundings and usually have family near or that visits often. I was able to work in homes, assisted living facility and a rehab center when the family wanted someone there to help with care as there was a high fall risk. The care needed was evaluated by the company nurse and if there were any questions, you could call the office. They often knew what the family wanted and any changes to be made.

Cons

It is very hard to need to go to a different place each day and sometimes the directions were wrong. The work was not regular. Too many weeks with no clients. They might have needed to give them to the new hires since they seem to hire more nearly every week. I have been with the company since July but have had only a few weeks of regular clients.

Be considerate of employees needs as well as client needs. Hard to keep employees when they aren't able to have work.

A caring company.

Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Huntsville, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Huntsville, AL (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good training from the start, continued training, good opportunities for advancement, professional staff, and they send you cards seem to show their appreciation.

Cons

Caregiver pay (it is what it is..), there may be times when you do not have shifts to work (its kind of as needed).

Keep up the good work. Try to find a way to increase the pay rate up to at least 9.00 per hour. I think that that might attract more professional caregivers.

WOW

Former Employee - Home Health Care Giver in West Nyack, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Home Health Care Giver in West Nyack, NY (US)

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can't think of too many pros really

Cons

Everything seems fine at first.Then you realize that it's really not They allowed some of us in senior's homes before our background check was back. Then I told them the man I cared for was so much better and he didn't need as many hours and my back was bad also so i wanted to work the minimum amount of hours ..Well my boss and owner of the company, Alison, HOUNDED texted and bothered his son for more hours or to replace me with another person. It was truly sickening how greedy they are.. They also overcharged my man for months for one hour and knew it .I've heard from other employees they do that all the time. After I received a great review and perfect care of the gent I care for..... I got a whopping 25 cent raise!!!!!!! I laughed at that..They charge $22 an hour and pay us $ 9? Greed!

Be honest.... quit scamming people for money and pay the workers better

Rewarding Job, Poor Management

Current Employee - Caregiver
    Current Employee - Caregiver

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Rewarding word, fairly easy job, no expierence requires, training opportunities

Cons

Hounded you for shifts even if you couldn't work, low pay, poorly managee

Keep a file on your employees so you don't ask them to work shifts they have already told you they can't. Be more consistent in enforcing rules.

Not good company to work for

Former Employee - Caregiver in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (more than an year)

Pros

people you take care of are wonderful and loved what I did.

Cons

pay very poor, company does not want to pay for anything not even initial things when you sign on with them such as background check etc..

Please consider improving your pay scale. You have a lot of good people working for you and you are making money off of them while they are out representing your company. They might choose to stay longer or say better things if felt you weren't all about yourself.

High value, low pay

Former Employee - Caregiver
    Former Employee - Caregiver

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can get enormous joy from feeling useful.
    You know you are providing needed service to a generally unserved portion of the population.
    Most of the people you care for are delightful, and listening to them gives you a clear window to the past. They are "Living History"!
    You can, often, get more latitude, concerning hours/days worked, than many other types of work. Training is provided, free of charge.
    You will learn patience, and a sense of humour, along with your other lessons.

Cons

You must expect to "lose" clients, frequently, due to age/health issues.
    Sadly, you are not allowed to "follow" clients that you no longer care for. You may not visit them, or have contact with their family. In many cases, I was not even informed of their death until weeks, or months, after their funeral. Then, it was because I inquired after them.
    Pay is low, expectations are high. You are often informed that you will be needed with little notice, and little respect as to your current plans.
    It is difficult to keep from becoming fond of your clients, and this can be a source of stress.

Pay more attention to your caregivers, they may see day to day problems that you miss.
    Pay your caregivers what they are worth. We understand about your "bottom line", but we need to address ours, too. We are doing a physically, and emotionally, demanding job. We deserve more than a "babysitter's" compensation.
    Hire "floaters". Caregivers who can come in, on short notice, on any shift, as needed. This will eliminate having to call caregivers in, at the last minute, or on their day off, when they have plans.
    You should give floaters slightly more, per hour, as they are constantly "on call".
    When considering rewards; cups and plaques are nice; but shirts, gift cards, and checks, are much more useful. There should be more rewards for "good work", (in addition to, not instead of) as most now, are for length of service.