Hormel

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hormel Chairman, President, and CEO Jeffrey M. Ettinger

Jeffrey M. Ettinger

Pros
  • Good benefits and bonus structure for salaried employees(in 11 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits for salaried employees, but you will work so many hours you won't get to enjoy your money(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough prior to reaching a certain career level for production(in 10 reviews)

• Long hours with little concern for work, life balance(in 7 reviews)

Great, growing company to work for!

Intern (Current Employee) Austin, MN (US)

ProsAccess to Upper Level Management
    Great People
    Conservative Culture
    Hands on Experience
    Great Benefits
    Competitive Salary
    Many Opportunities available
    Promote from within culture
    They really care about their employees

ConsTechnology is Out of date
    Corporate Location

Advice to Senior ManagementTechnology needs to update

Production Supervisor

Hormel Supervisor (Former Employee) Austin, MN (US)

ProsKeep showing up and you have a job for life that pays better than a "greeter" at Walmart.

ConsFancy yourself a shooting star? Motivated by career advancement? Love state-of-the-art equipment? At Hormel your annual review is rated as follows: 2B;3- (your a day one employee or you just don't have a clue). 3 (way to go your a C student). 3+ (you must be a genius private pile), 4,5 ratings aren't available unless your the CEO's kid. Top performing level 12 supervisors with a 3+ rating might earn $500 more in the form of a bonus than a 3- rated, foaming at the mouth, brain dead supervisor. You'll watch failed upper management get demoted into lead supervisor positions so they can reach retirement. Count on extremely long nights with junk equipment and forget about day shift work for a very, very long time... In summary falling star, career stagnation, broken down train-wreck equipment is what you need to want for success.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your supervisors a good hourly wage. Take even $60,000 / (52 weeks x 70hrs per) = $16.48/hr before taxes..... These guys/girls are generally getting paid a dollar or two an hour more than the union of complainers and crybabies that work for them. The future leaders of your company supposedly come from these ranks... Those are some cheap ranks.....

Overall pleasurable experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosvalues, products, opportunity for growth

Constechnology, location of corporate office

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A solid place to start

Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) Rochelle, IL (US)

ProsExcellent benefits with a very conservative company. Lots of responsibility right out of college.

ConsFor a technical person the attitude is still that of an old meat cutting plant.

phone

Administrative/Inside Sales (Former Employee) Bethlehem, PA (US)

Prosgreat sales job postion for entry level

Consnone yet because i have to see if i got any offers

Good company to work for, but starting off can be long hours.

Production Supervisor (Current Employee)

Pros-Great compensation for this position; especially compared to industry-wide.
    -Good benefits also.
    -Wide variety of products and brands to work with.

Cons-Production supervisors can usually work 12 hrs or more on a regular basis
    -Work/life balance is tough prior to reaching a certain career level for production.

Advice to Senior Management-Act on the feedback that you receive from across the company. Clearly some people are meant to be leaders and deserve the positions they are in, whereas others are horrible leaders/unethical individuals but are in their position simply because of years with the company.

Great company that is poised for growth

Pros- Fair treatment
    - Upward mobility once you prove your work ethic
    - Lean with access to upper management

Cons- Headquartered in rural Minnesota

I was allowed to work for a short period.

Machine Operator (Former Employee) Tucker, GA (US)

ProsAdapting to new social environment; I was given the opportunity to be cross-trained despite the short time I was employed.

ConsI was disappointed that I was not given a chance to become a member of the company due to downsizing.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Great for experience if you fit their mold

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsGreat for big responsibility and experience. Hormel has very smart people who make fast decisions.

ConsHormel is a very white male dominated company. If you fit that mold, you will do well. Also, if you play golf, another big plus!

Hormel is slow to accept diversity and promote inclusion. They are making better strides from the very top down, however, not everyone is on board and middle management slow to understand that diversity makes the company better.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe inclusive because you actually believe in it. Not for HR reasons. Thanks.

Well established company

ProsGood benefits and bonus structure for salaried employees

ConsLong hours with little concern for work, life balance. Turnover of supervisory staff in some locations increases weekly overtime requirements.

Worked for Hormel? Contribute to the Community!