Hormel

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hormel Chairman, President, and CEO Jeffrey M. Ettinger

Jeffrey M. Ettinger

Pros:
  • "Good benefits and bonus structure for salaried employees"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Good pay and benefits for salaried employees, but you will work so many hours you won't get to enjoy your money"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance is tough prior to reaching a certain career level for production"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Long hours with little concern for work, life balance"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A solid place to start

Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee)
Rochelle, IL (US)

I have been working at Hormel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent benefits with a very conservative company. Lots of responsibility right out of college.

ConsFor a technical person the attitude is still that of an old meat cutting plant.

phone

Administrative/Inside Sales (Former Employee)
Bethlehem, PA (US)

I worked at Hormel full-time for less than a year

Prosgreat sales job postion for entry level

Consnone yet because i have to see if i got any offers

Good company to work for, but starting off can be long hours.

Production Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hormel full-time

Pros-Great compensation for this position; especially compared to industry-wide.
-Good benefits also.
-Wide variety of products and brands to work with.

Cons-Production supervisors can usually work 12 hrs or more on a regular basis
-Work/life balance is tough prior to reaching a certain career level for production.

Advice to Senior Management-Act on the feedback that you receive from across the company. Clearly some people are meant to be leaders and deserve the positions they are in, whereas others are horrible leaders/unethical individuals but are in their position simply because of years with the company.

Great company that is poised for growth

I have been working at Hormel

Pros- Fair treatment
- Upward mobility once you prove your work ethic
- Lean with access to upper management

Cons- Headquartered in rural Minnesota

I was allowed to work for a short period.

Machine Operator (Former Employee)
Tucker, GA (US)

I worked at Hormel full-time for less than a year

ProsAdapting to new social environment; I was given the opportunity to be cross-trained despite the short time I was employed.

ConsI was disappointed that I was not given a chance to become a member of the company due to downsizing.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Great for experience if you fit their mold

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Hormel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat for big responsibility and experience. Hormel has very smart people who make fast decisions.

ConsHormel is a very white male dominated company. If you fit that mold, you will do well. Also, if you play golf, another big plus!

Hormel is slow to accept diversity and promote inclusion. They are making better strides from the very top down, however, not everyone is on board and middle management slow to understand that diversity makes the company better.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe inclusive because you actually believe in it. Not for HR reasons. Thanks.

Well established company

I have been working at Hormel full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits and bonus structure for salaried employees

ConsLong hours with little concern for work, life balance. Turnover of supervisory staff in some locations increases weekly overtime requirements.

Great company, great employer, glad to be part of this team. Endless opportunities from a promote from within company.

Accountant (Current Employee)
Austin, MN (US)

I have been working at Hormel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork is challenging. People are excellent. Opportunities for career growth is second to none. Talent is recognized and awarded. All around great company to work for.

ConsCompany is highly conservative, and runs lean. Puts a lot of stress and pressure on middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make policies work-life-balance-friendly to retain young talent.

Manager

I have been working at Hormel full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits. Safety and Quality are important. CEO is fantastic, great views for the company.

ConsWork ALL THE TIME!. No work life balance, narrow minded coworkers, conservative company. Most manufacturing companies are in remote areas or small towns with limited access to extra curricular activities. Corporate office is in small town and you live next to your boss. Not a company that keeps or attracts top talent. Upper management does not align themselves with future growth of employees. Unless you golf with your BOSS - good luck on getting a promotion or stellar annual review. My superior struggled at talking to me daily - as if it was a hassle. Promote diversity yet have NONE. Behind the ball on business excellence and lean manufacturing. Back to top talent.... can't keep top talent when working conditions are work, work, work and the longer you stay at work (even if you are not working yet talking or playing on the computer) the better an employee you are. So, if you stay at work for 12-14 hours you are seen as an excellent employee. I tell you what.... if I'm at work for 12 hours managing a 8 hour shift I'm a POOR manager. I'm there 9-10 hours and I'm called part timer! I'm about business excellence and doing it right the first time. I don't need to work beyond those hours to get my work done. Work environment is cold and wet and you stand on concrete for your 10-12 hour day at least 6 days a week. No flexibility. Limited community involvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementKenexa survey results are not coming fast enough! Devote your time to work balance and retaining top talent. Move corporate offices out of Austin MN and work toward TRUE training and continuous improvement. Have your upper managers at the plants truly follow a development plan for your younger managers. We are being neglected because too many of the wrong people have been promoted. You are not retaining TOP TALENT! Your competitors are taking your good people because the wrong people are getting the promotions.

Pretty happy with experience

I have been working at Hormel

ProsGreat Salary, challenging, lots of opportunities

ConsCorporate office is located in Austin, MN and there are very few jobs for peoples spouses who do not work at Hormel

Worked for Hormel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hormel reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Hormel CEO Jeffrey M. Ettinger. All 62 reviews are posted anonymously by Hormel employees.